PDA

View Full Version : Another newb question on DB vs TB from shotty

shottyjo
02-09-2014, 19:09
So with the thunderbird, I know that the netting and overcover are both removable (and danger bird are not), but can they also both be left in the hammock (and used like a DB with both options available at all times) or is it a one or the other thing. Prolly a dumb question but like i said im a newb.

PapaSmurf
02-09-2014, 22:46
The ThunderBird net and overcover are stored in removable peak bags at each end of the hammock. One or the other can be zipped on the hammock, but not both at the same time.

The DangerBird net and overcover are indeed permanently attached to the hammock (one at each end). Each one can be zipped on from the end of the hammock. It is possible to zip both the net and overcover on from the ends and have the zippers meet in the middle somewhere, but there are 2 problems with this approach. While it's possible to get the zipper sliders fairly close to one another, they will not meet completely together to form any kind of seal. Also, you have the problem of what to do with the excess netting or overcover fabric when both are used together.

Hope this helps.

shottyjo
02-09-2014, 23:45
Thanks for the clarification, Papa Smurf. I was just wondering if i had the option of carrying one at a time OR (or if both could be carried at once, deployed separately of course) like the DB. The fact that you (the manufacturer), answers my questions personally on this forum, is awesome, and because of that, AND the reviews of the quality products (and customer service) you provide, you will have me as a customer when i decide on the final product i want. The only deciding factor is when i finally get my **** together and decide on the variety of options i want. Thanks again for the clarification. Im still looking into fabric options that would work best for me. Im a short light weight dude, (5'6" top end and 140lbs tops soaking wet), but thinkin DL for skeeter prevention. Thinking the 10 footer length would be adequate, just looking into dif fabric combos and max comfort. I am a side sleeper and i have read that the wider options are better for that, (was thinking 60" width, don't think wider is necessary, but im not the expert). Any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks again for the clarification on the differences of TB and DB. Anyone else that would like to weigh in on fabric options would be appreciated too, im not real worried on weight ( i car camp and moto camp). Thanks again to anybody for any advice.

DeRozea
02-10-2014, 07:26
I may be wrong, but the only difference between the DB and TB is the removable covers. I picked the thunderbird for that reason. smaller pack size and lighter when there is only the bug net or over-cover to pack with. if you look at most hammock material, it is usually a nylon rip-stop of varying thickness:confused:(1.0,1.1,1.9 etc.) if you know of anyone around you go heck their hammock out, feel the material. Papasmurf will also answer your questions(daily in my experience) on materials and recommendations for you. at your weight any material seems to work with you, so picking a color/pattern might be the hardest for you to do :).

PapaSmurf
02-10-2014, 08:52
Yea, a double layer 1.0 or 1.1oz is gonna provide a nice solid feeling hammock for your weight and most of these fabrics are in the 64" to 68" width so we can go a little wider pretty easy.

I'm 5'7" myself and I prefer the 10ft length.
One big difference for you is gonna be the zippers.

The ThunderBird has one zipper slider on each side that zips all the way to the head end. This can be quite a stretch for us short folks in a long hammock.
The DangerBird comes standard with one zipper slider, but it's possible to add add'l sliders so that they meet in the center. Big deal when you gotta get up to pee in the middle of the night.

See this page for more info on zipper options.
http://www.dream-hammock.com/ZipperOptions.html

PapaSmurf
02-10-2014, 08:55
I was just wondering if i had the option of carrying one at a time OR (or if both could be carried at once, deployed separately of course) like the DB.

Oh yea. The removeable peak bags have mitten hooks on them that allow one or both to be clipped into a loop at each end. So you can decide to carry one one or both with the hammock.

silentorpheus
02-10-2014, 10:16
Since I think it speaks directly to the OP's question, I'll add one of my own. On the Dangerbird, you have both net and top cover both attached permanently, but only one can be deployed at a time. Does that mean that each one only zips on in one direction? i.e. the the top cover only zips from head to foot, and the net only zips from foot to head?

Or in other words, when one or the other is deployed, does one have to change which end they reach to for the zipper, in order to get out?

PapaSmurf
02-10-2014, 10:25
Since I think it speaks directly to the OP's question, I'll add one of my own. On the Dangerbird, you have both net and top cover both attached permanently, but only one can be deployed at a time. Does that mean that each one only zips on in one direction? i.e. the the top cover only zips from head to foot, and the net only zips from foot to head?

Or in other words, when one or the other is deployed, does one have to change which end they reach to for the zipper, in order to get out?

Correct, except the DangerBird has no dedicated head or foot end. You switch directions and lay with whichever cover you want to use at your feet.
Summer - lay with the net at your feet and zip towards your head.
Winter - lay with the overcover at your feet and zip towards your head.

As I indicated earlier, it's possible to zip both on from opposite directions, but I don't like to use it that way because of the issues I described.

silentorpheus
02-10-2014, 10:27
Correct, except the DangerBird has no dedicated head or foot end. You switch directions and lay with whichever cover you want to use at your feet.
Summer - lay with the net at your feet and zip towards your head.
Winter - lay with the overcover at your feet and zip towards your head.

As I indicated earlier, it's possible to zip both on from opposite directions, but I don't like to use it that way because of the issues I described.

Ah, that makes total sense.

I think I remember reading that the TB had a dedicated foot/head end. So I incorrectly assumed that the DB did as well.

Thanks!

huauqui
02-10-2014, 11:47
PapaSmurf and others who have replied to this thread, thanks for all the info. There is a lot of great information here for those of us trying to decide between these two. Thanks a lot!

huauqui