PDA

View Full Version : WTR(ent): HH Explorer Ultralight

Aberrix
05-28-2009, 14:33
I would like to rent(?)/borrow(?) a HH Explorer Ultralight hammock from someone if they're willing. (if you're local [Minneapolis, MN] to me that's a huge plus, otherwise I'll cover shipping both ways)

I was just going to purchase one from REI and then return it if I wasn't pleased (I'm a tiny skeptical as I'm a stomach/side sleeper & 6'4"/200lbs) but now REI has them on backorder until the 16th and I have a BWCA trip leaving on the 18th (through the 22nd) that I was hoping to use it on, so I don't think I'm going to get it in time...

I take *extremely* good care of all my gear (my 5 year old gear still looks brand new) and I promise to take extremely good care of yours. Let me know what you'd like to charge for renting your hammock.

Thanks,
Josh

Aberrix
05-28-2009, 14:52
would also accept Warbonnet BB for rent, if available :)

** of course, should anything happen I promise to repair/replace at your option **

Cannibal
05-28-2009, 14:59
I'm normally a very trusting person with my gear, but asking to borrow somebody's hammock with your first post is a tough one. No reason to believe you are anything but a good person, but........

What kind of assurances can you offer beyond this statement and do you know anybody in the 'community' that can vouch for you?

** of course, should anything happen I promise to repair/replace at your option **

I don't have the model of Hennessy you are looking for, just trying to help you find someone willing to play.

Aberrix
05-28-2009, 15:14
I'm normally a very trusting person with my gear, but asking to borrow somebody's hammock with your first post is a tough one. No reason to believe you are anything but a good person, but........

What kind of assurances can you offer beyond this statement and do you know anybody in the 'community' that can vouch for you?

Yeah, I realize my first post shouldn't have been this one :/ (I'm a regular on other non-hammock forums, just google "Aberrix")

I don't really know what kinda verification would be acceptable in this situation? I mean, obviously finding someone local works better for this as we can meet in person. I can't really say I know anyone in the hammock 'community'...

I was in Army Reserves, 88th RRC, 847th PSB deployed with the 377th TSC (in Kuwait) from 02/04-01/05. Maybe I ran into one of you guys during that little camping trip?

I mean, I could always meet up for lunch with someone ("verified") on here and talk camping/hammocking so that they could vouch for me or something? *shrugs*

I'm open to other ideas? I'd gladly send a photocopy of my DL to someone 'renting' me their hammock even...

vitamaltz
05-28-2009, 15:26
If I had that hammock and wasn't using it, I'd probably be up for it. Another option would be to buy it here or on ebay. If it is really gently used, you could turn around and sell it for nearly the same price or at least at less of a loss than any rental would likely cost. If you like it, keep it and welcome to the dark side.

P.S. - You've already prodded Cannibal to admit there is a hammock he doesn't own. Nice work.

Aberrix
05-28-2009, 15:28
anyone know the return policy if I were to buy it directly from hennessyhammock.com?

UPDATE: It's 10 days... hmm...

Cannibal
05-28-2009, 15:32
P.S. - You've already prodded Cannibal to admit there is a hammock he doesn't own. Nice work.
There are still a few. ;)
I have a Hennessy Explorer, just not the UL version.

Aberrix, have you ever tried a hammock? If so, was it the HH Explorer? I ask because at 6' the explorer is almost perfect sized for me. You being 6'4" might make it a touch too small; don't know. Also, if you haven't tried a hammock before you would be very wise to spend a couple of nights fiddling with it prior to going out in the woods. Some folks have real issues/problems the first couple of set-ups.

REI's return policy is the ****! I returned a pair of Trail Runners that just weren't working out for me; put about 100 miles of mud on them first. Still in shock they took them back.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking about HH's return policy...sorry bout that.

Aberrix
05-28-2009, 15:41
Aberrix, have you ever tried a hammock? If so, was it the HH Explorer? I ask because at 6' the explorer is almost perfect sized for me. You being 6'4" might make it a touch too small; don't know. Also, if you haven't tried a hammock before you would be very wise to spend a couple of nights fiddling with it prior to going out in the woods. Some folks have real issues/problems the first couple of set-ups.

I've never tried [sleeping in] a hammock, but I've been researching them the past 2 weeks and the concept is awesomely mind blowing to me. But again, I'm kinda a 'finicky' sleeper (stomach/side) so I'm kinda skiddish of investing in one. The HH Explorer says its got a 110" ridgeline and from what I've gathered most people in my height range find that to be comfortable. I haven't really been able to find any other 'off the shelf' brands/models that come in that sorta length for us tall folk... My hope is to get something a week before my trip and to hang it in a park near my house just to get use to the setup of it. and get a 'feel' for it. (obviously wont be sleeping in the park)

I've also done a lot of researching the DIY hammocks but I've never sewn before and it doesn't really seem that cost-efficient in the end. (although I know you can customize it more, etc) Although I am an avid DIY-er that concept seems further down the line for me. (I need to get some nights in a hammock before I know what I like/dont like about it).

I guess I'm open to any brand/models really as long as A) they fit my height/weight and B) have bug netting and preferably a rain fly/tarp... (although I could rig up my poncho or something for a tarp if need be...)

Ramblinrev
05-28-2009, 18:37
I've never tried [sleeping in] a hammock, but I've been researching them the past 2 weeks and the concept is awesomely mind blowing to me. But again, I'm kinda a 'finicky' sleeper (stomach/side) so I'm kinda skiddish of investing in one. The HH Explorer says its got a 110" ridgeline and from what I've gathered most people in my height range find that to be comfortable. I haven't really been able to find any other 'off the shelf' brands/models that come in that sorta length for us tall folk... My hope is to get something a week before my trip and to hang it in a park near my house just to get use to the setup of it. and get a 'feel' for it. (obviously wont be sleeping in the park)

I've also done a lot of researching the DIY hammocks but I've never sewn before and it doesn't really seem that cost-efficient in the end. (although I know you can customize it more, etc) Although I am an avid DIY-er that concept seems further down the line for me. (I need to get some nights in a hammock before I know what I like/dont like about it).

I guess I'm open to any brand/models really as long as A) they fit my height/weight and B) have bug netting and preferably a rain fly/tarp... (although I could rig up my poncho or something for a tarp if need be...)

We Don't Sew... We make Gear is an introduction to gear sewing that might be helpful to you. One of those is Hang in under an hour. You can make a hammock for cheaper than you could pay the shipping to rent one if you have a discount fabric store or Wally World fabric around. It ain't rocket science to try one out. Infact you can make a serviceable hammock for the testing without sewing a stitch.I won the Explorer UL but it is my only one. (I know I need to get going on my collection but that takes money.)

Lots of DIY advice here to make the project successful.

TrailH4x
05-28-2009, 21:48
I would like to rent(?)/borrow(?) a HH Explorer Ultralight hammock from someone if they're willing. (if you're local [Minneapolis, MN] to me that's a huge plus, otherwise I'll cover shipping both ways)

I was just going to purchase one from REI and then return it if I wasn't pleased (I'm a tiny skeptical as I'm a stomach/side sleeper & 6'4"/200lbs) but now REI has them on backorder until the 16th and I have a BWCA trip leaving on the 18th (through the 22nd) that I was hoping to use it on, so I don't think I'm going to get it in time...

I take *extremely* good care of all my gear (my 5 year old gear still looks brand new) and I promise to take extremely good care of yours. Let me know what you'd like to charge for renting your hammock.

Thanks,
Josh

$190/week (just joking). Dude, if you think you're interested take the plunge, lay in a hammock for a few and you'll wonder why anyone ever lays on the ground again! Sling up a sheet if you need to prove to yourself that suspended fabric is "a breeze" better than dirt.

By the way, thank you for your service- from the whole crowd of us. We tend to joke loudly, but understand commitment deeply. Hat's off to ya'.

Write slow, hang long, watch as the rest of the world wonders in awe...

H4x

fin
05-28-2009, 22:12
Aberrix, come to our Northern Hangout (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=Northern+Hang) in June, and I can let you try either a Clark NA, a Warbonnet Blackbird, or a JRB BMB at the hangout. You are in Minneapolis - it would only be a short drive for you. Others from your area (TC) will be there.

east_stingray
05-28-2009, 23:37
Step 1: buy Warbonnet blackbird and big mambajamba tarp.

Step 2: try warbonnet blackbird out at home.

Step 3: decide you love warbonnet blackbird like your firstborn child and talk about it to everyone.

Step 4: take the hammock on every outing from now on.

Should something go wrong between step 2 and 3, come back here and post your equipment in the "for sale" forum. It'll be gone in a day or two, and you'll only be out your shipping costs or a bit more.

stormcrow
05-29-2009, 02:03
I have the explorer ultralight with the zipper mod and I will be attending the northern hang if you want to give it a test then. They you will have all kinds of Hammock community members to vouch for you! LOL.

I hope we can get you in the air!

Adam

Aberrix
05-29-2009, 07:12
Aberrix, come to our Northern Hangout (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=Northern+Hang) in June, and I can let you try either a Clark NA, a Warbonnet Blackbird, or a JRB BMB at the hangout. You are in Minneapolis - it would only be a short drive for you. Others from your area (TC) will be there.

When/Where is this event?

I forgot, here are some more of my credentials; here (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?guid=5ee7d675-5d35-4fc6-bb81-c948f0dab55d). I am a geocacher and I would suspect many of you are also, maybe some of you know me from there also? I also have a personal pathtag; here (http://pathtags.com/community/publicpathtagprofile.php?id=7710).

fin
05-29-2009, 07:17
When/Where is this event?

I forgot, here are some more of my credentials; here (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?guid=5ee7d675-5d35-4fc6-bb81-c948f0dab55d). I am a geocacher and I would suspect many of you are also, maybe some of you know me from there also? I also have a personal pathtag; here (http://pathtags.com/community/publicpathtagprofile.php?id=7710).

If you don't have time to read through the entire thread to figure it out, it is on June 11th - 14th on the North Country Trail in Northern Wisconsin. We are starting at Porcupine Lake on the 11th, and taking 2 days to hike to the Lake Three Campground/and or Mellen. 1st night is at Porcupine Lake, 2nd night at the White River shelter, 3rd night at Lake Three Campground.

Edit.....
I just clicked on the link I gave ( Northern Hangout (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=Northern+Hang) ,) and the dates are right in the title of the thread.:rolleyes:

Aberrix
05-29-2009, 07:20
I just clicked on the link I gave ( Northern Hangout (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=Northern+Hang) ,) and the dates are right in the title of the thread.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but I wasn't clear on where it was... Sorry.

fin
05-29-2009, 07:27
Yeah, but I wasn't clear on where it was... Sorry.

No problem - there is a lot of reading to go through to find where we finally set the trip - I think page 3 or 4.:D I hadn't looked at the thread title in a while, so I didn't remember the date was on the title.:o:lol:

animalcontrol
05-29-2009, 08:41
There is a Northern Hang June 11-14 by Drummond, Wi thead here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7225)
At the hang, there will be many different styles of hammocks that you can look at, test drive (nap in), etc
Unfortunately, that doesn't leave much time before your BWCA trip to get everything you will need...

ignore this post!! lol

Mrprez
05-29-2009, 09:28
I'd be willing to lend you mine. It is highly modified however. No bottom entry. Has had the zipper mods. Does not use stock suspension. I use buckles and carabiners.

Aberrix
05-29-2009, 09:43
I'd be willing to lend you mine. It is highly modified however. No bottom entry. Has had the zipper mods. Does not use stock suspension. I use buckles and carabiners.

Thanks for the offer! PM Sent!

Mrprez
05-29-2009, 12:58
My fault, I didn't see the dates that you were going to need the hammock. I'll be out with mine on those dates as well. Sorry!

Aberrix
05-29-2009, 14:09
No worries, thanks for the offer anyways!

just to re-iterate; I need something to borrow June 18th - June 22nd, thanks.

Aberrix
05-30-2009, 13:49
Well it looks like REI came through and they got more in stock today, I should have a HH Explorer Ultralight hammock at my door within the next week!