PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird and Yeti used for 1st time on backpacking trip

Ewker
05-29-2009, 10:41
Last week I went up to Big South Fork for a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip. Pics are here http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572456870oEUoKl

This was the 1st time I had taken the Blackbird and the Yeti out for a
backpacking trip. I had slept in the Blackbird twice at Ed's Hot Springs
hangout and used a pad those nights. No problem sleeping or hanging it at all.

The first night I sleep good except for a problem with the Yeti (see below).
We were camped right by Laurel Fork Creek and the coolness helped me
sleep. The next night I couldn't get comfortable at all. No matter how I laid
it didn't feel right. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night. I
didn't hang it any differently that I had any other time. We weren't by a
creek this time so I am thinking I was just to warm. The temps were in the
50's and it rained.

I used my 3 season down prototype Yeti for the 1st time also last weekend.
All I did was to add some small biners to each shockcord and snap them on
the cord going to the rings.

This was the 1st time I have ever used any type of underquilt and it was easy to hook on and make sure the yeti straddled the hammock. Getting in it wasn't any problem. I had read on here that it would slide up and down the
shockcord easily. It didn't at first but I kept fooling with it and it would slowly start to move.

Now I am not sure what happened but I woke up around 3am for a break and
I noticed the yeti was gone????..or so I thought. It seems it had somehow
managed to work its way off from being under the hammock and slide to the other side of the hammock so it wasn't under me at all. Now I know I toss and turn a lot so the only thing i can figure out is as I rolled over the shockcord slipped and went under the hammock. Anyone ever have that happen to them before?

IMO using the Yeti in 50° temps is just way to warm for me. I think that is
why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder
if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.

Oh for a top quilt I used a demo one than I got from Ed a few yrs ago. I
think it was rated at 50° or so.

drewboy
05-29-2009, 10:52
Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat? Being too warm I would think is a good class of problem to have and should be easily solvable by a quilt adjustment.

why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder
if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.

Oh for a top quilt I used a demo one than I got from Ed a few yrs ago. I
think it was rated at 50° or so.

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 10:55
Ewker, ditch the biners buddy. The loops of shockcord just loop over the whipping masses. They will hold just fine without the biners, I promise. Don't know what biners you are using, but that should take, at least, 2" of slack out of the shockcord. It will be pulled up very tight against you, but somehow does not compress. When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night. I had similar problems with the synthetic model that had an adjustable suspension. The new KISS method is much better IMO, but the lines do have to be tight.

animalcontrol
05-29-2009, 10:59
while I don't have a 3-season Yeti (winter version for me), I can see how that might happen if certain events happened...
if you rolled from your back to your right side (normal lay-out BB), my expirence the Yeti moves with you...it shifts over to the right. A second shift back to the left side might allow you to roll over the left edge and roll off the UQ.
I never had this happen...but I can see how it is possible. I added a shockcord tether to the left side of the Yeti to hold it in place as I roll around (thread here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7527)) BTW, not a Yeti in the pic!
of course, if you slept better I'd suggest you practice the UQ shift! :lol:

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 10:59
Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat? Being too warm I would think is a good class of problem to have and should be easily solvable by a quilt adjustment.
Old models had an adjustable suspension, new ones are set. To 'vent' you just reach out and slide the Yeti up the hammock towards the head-end. This opens a gap between the quilt and the hammock and provides a ton of cool air.

angrysparrow
05-29-2009, 11:06
When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night.

I'll second that. I found that the Yeti needs to be somewhat tighter than the other quilt suspension designs.

Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat?

There isn't any cord at the ends to loosen. On the prototype Yeti's, though, it is possible to fold the draft-tubes on each end to the outside of the quilt rather than laying flat on the inside. That will vent it nicely. I don't think it possible with the finalized version, though.

why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.

In the 50šs is cool enough that you should need something as insulation under/in your hammock, so I don't think that is it. You mentioned not being able to sleep, but didn't say you were feeling hot. Perhaps there is another factor?...

Ewker
05-29-2009, 11:20
Ewker, ditch the biners buddy. The loops of shockcord just loop over the whipping masses. They will hold just fine without the biners, I promise. Don't know what biners you are using, but that should take, at least, 2" of slack out of the shockcord. It will be pulled up very tight against you, but somehow does not compress. When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night. I had similar problems with the synthetic model that had an adjustable suspension. The new KISS method is much better IMO, but the lines do have to be tight.

it is just some really small biners. To me it is easier to clip them on since that would keep the shockcord on the yeti in one place. Plus I after I get the hammock hung I don't want to have to undo it to slide the straps thru the Yeti shockcord.

The cords were tight almost to tight against me as it pulled the sides of the hammock in on me. Who knows I may have put it on wrong :confused:

angrysparrow
05-29-2009, 11:25
You don't have to undo the hammock straps to put the yeti on....it hangs nicely on the whipping mass, below the webbing.

But I agree, a couple of small novelty biners add very very little weight to it.

Ewker
05-29-2009, 11:30
In the 50šs is cool enough that you should need something as insulation under/in your hammock, so I don't think that is it. You mentioned not being able to sleep, but didn't say you were feeling hot. Perhaps there is another factor?...

I was hot and cool all night long. Top quilt off, then on,then off, then on..you get the picture

To me I would considered this yeti to be a winter time underquilt or when temps drop below 50°

Does anyone make a summer underquilt or would the neat sheet underquilt work as one

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 11:31
Who knows I may have put it on wrong :confused:
I didn't really think about that, but there is a top and bottom to the Yetis. Easiest to see when you lay it flat on the ground and look for the shoulder 'bump'. If you had it reversed, maybe that could be a factor. I've got a small piece of dayglow string tied to the shockcord on the head-end, just to make my life easier.

But I agree, a couple of small novelty biners add very very little weight to it.
Cookies man! It's all about the number of cookies that could be carried instead of biners. Two small novelty biners; that's gotta be at least 1/2 of an OREO. :lol:

Ewker
05-29-2009, 11:34
You don't have to undo the hammock straps to put the yeti on....it hangs nicely on the whipping mass, below the webbing.

ok I am not seeing as to how you would hang it without running it thru the hammock straps.

yeah those 2 biners weigh next to nothing and it is quick and easy

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 11:34
To me I would considered this yeti to be a winter time underquilt or when temps drop below 50°
Can't argue, the Yetis are ridiculously warm.

Does anyone make a summer underquilt or would the neat sheet underquilt work as one
I love my neat sheet uq. Won't do much for you below 50, other than keep the wind off of you, but I like it a lot for the warmer nights.

Ewker
05-29-2009, 11:38
I didn't really think about that, but there is a top and bottom to the Yetis. Easiest to see when you lay it flat on the ground and look for the shoulder 'bump'. If you had it reversed, maybe that could be a factor. I've got a small piece of dayglow string tied to the shockcord on the head-end, just to make my life easier.

Cookies man! It's all about the number of cookies that could be carried instead of biners. Two small novelty biners; that's gotta be at least 1/2 of an OREO. :lol:

Brandon said that he had a knot tied in the shockcord at the head end and that the corners were more pulled in than the other end. I went with where the cord was tied :)

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 11:42
ok I am not seeing as to how you would hang it without running it thru the hammock straps.
Only pic I have with me. It's the old Warbonnet ElDorado and the original synthetic uq with an adjustable suspension, not to mention the temp ridgeline in the way buuuuuuut, the basic method is the same. The whipping mass is below the line leading to the rings and provides a nice knob for the shockcord to go around. The shockcord goes below the line to the rings, but above the mass. Simple?

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/suspension_at_whipping.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4668&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=435&cutoffdate=-1)

Brandon said that he had a knot tied in the shockcord at the head end and that the corners were more pulled in than the other end. I went with where the cord was tied :)

Might want to lay it out and check, just to be sure. ;)

pizza
05-29-2009, 11:46
I'll echo what's already mentioned. You don't need the biners. You take the shock cord ends and run it over the ends of the whipping or "knots" at each end of the hammock but underneath the hammock ridgeline cord that attaches to the webbing not over the top of the hammock ridgeline cord. It stays in place just fine and will not come off because of the tension of the stretched shock cord. The shock cord should be taught and in a nice straight line. The Yeti will pull the hammock sides in like a taco when you are not in the hammock, this is normal. Once you get in the hammock the quilt wraps around your sides which it is supposed to do. If you reach outside the hammock just grab the side of the Yeti and it slides up and down along the shock cord for easy adjustment.

Ewker
05-29-2009, 11:48
Simple?

I can't really tell what you did there :confused:

Cannibal
05-29-2009, 11:52
:confused:
A man of few words. :laugh:
I'll get you some better pics tonight. Maybe a video if you're lucky.

Another problem with the biners that I just thought of is the fact that it creates a sharp point in the end of the shockcord loops and doesn't force the uq open as much. Therefore, it doesn't start to go around the hammock body until further down. I can see how that would allow it to slip easier than if the cords were more spread out and already being directed around the hammock body from the get-go. Just thinkin out loud here.

angrysparrow
05-29-2009, 11:52
:confused:

I agree, that picture isn't a clear illustration of what is being talked about. But, what it does show is that the whipping hangs below the cording that goes to the tri-rings. You can simply take the shock-cord on the Yeti and treat that whip as if it were a hook and place it there. Once both ends are on, the tension will hold it in place.

animalcontrol
05-29-2009, 12:54
FWIW Ewker, I did the EXACT same thing at first...took down the suspension, then switched to biners...
Cannibal showed me the light on using the whipped mass as the hook for the shockcord...worked just as advertised
trust grasshopper! :lol:

warbonnetguy
05-29-2009, 14:03
ewker,
for a snug fit the head end edge needs to be even with your shoulders, but to vent slide that edge up just past the top of your head and a gap should open and allow some heat to escape. it might take a few mins to cool down if you're already overheated, but it should cool off quite a bit that way.

east_stingray
05-29-2009, 14:36
Ewker, the same thing happened to me with my quilt migrating to the side and me thinking it had been stolen by raccoons. In my semi-awake state, I started to wonder how the raccoons had gotten on HF to learn about warbonnet gear.

I actually started using the "side quilt" as a way to control my temperature on warmer nights and also just to get the quilt out of the stuff sack when it was too warm to use it.

Big D
05-29-2009, 16:58
ewker,
for a snug fit the head end edge needs to be even with your shoulders, but to vent slide that edge up just past the top of your head and a gap should open and allow some heat to escape. it might take a few mins to cool down if you're already overheated, but it should cool off quite a bit that way.

This is the way I used my 3-season Yeti on my trip last weekend. The temp was 60ish. I had no problems with over heating, but I used a sheet on top, and I kicked it off a few times.

pizza
05-29-2009, 17:27
Here is a shot of the Yeti set up without biners. This view is from the top of the hammock looking down at the attachment point. Hope this helps.

Ewker
05-29-2009, 21:58
Here is a shot of the Yeti set up without biners. This view is from the top of the hammock looking down at the attachment point. Hope this helps.

I still don't see how you get it around the hammock without running it thru the straps or by untying the shockcord

east_stingray
05-29-2009, 22:07
Ewker: there is a knot where the end of the hammock is gathered and whipped. The knot hangs below the suspension line. The shockcord is looped over the knot (between the knot and the suspension line). Initially it may look as if the knot will just bend down, allowing the shockcord to slip off. It does not do this, however.

Ewker
05-29-2009, 22:32
Ewker: there is a knot where the end of the hammock is gathered and whipped. The knot hangs below the suspension line. The shockcord is looped over the knot (between the knot and the suspension line). Initially it may look as if the knot will just bend down, allowing the shockcord to slip off. It does not do this, however.

I will look at it the next time I use the hammock

pizza
05-30-2009, 05:13
I still don't see how you get it around the hammock without running it thru the straps or by untying the shockcord
You attach it from the bottom. Imagine the quilt laying underneath the hammock and suspension line. You lift the quilt up to the hammock and hook the shock cord from the bottom as shown in the picture around the whipping.

titanium_hiker
05-30-2009, 07:29
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/1/yeti_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=6006&c=13)

Is this what you guys are talking about? My drawing is showing it before you tighten it, and I'm assuming the shock cord rams in tight between the support rope and the hammock whipping-thing/knot

TH

PS I haven't been around here for a while, but, Ewker in a hammock? when did this happen? :D

east_stingray
05-30-2009, 10:10
titanium's got it.

BillyBob58
06-01-2009, 00:26

The cords were tight almost to tight against me as it pulled the sides of the hammock in on me. Who knows I may have put it on wrong :confused:

I did once, with my synthetic version. Just a careless move. I had the wrong side of the shell, the normaly closest to the ground bottom side, against my back. The quilt was upside down. That really worked poorly! :rolleyes: