PDA

View Full Version : Water wicking!

thos nelson jr
02-12-2014, 16:25
The last time I hung in the rain I was using 1" nylon for my suspension.
The nylon strap reached almost all the way down to the gathered end of my
hammock and subsequently the water wicked itself down into my hammock.

I now have amsteel whoopie slings and I was wondering if the whoopie slings
will do the same thing? I can't imagine it would be on the same scale and
surely there are some lessons learned/tips out there?

Also...In preparation for a trip I have ordered lots of stuff from many of the
cottage manufacturers recently. I must say that I am truly impressed by the
timely email responses, shipping turnaround and quality of craftsmanship from
every single vendor. It's very refreshing to see this level of pride in one's work
... thank you all!

Roche
02-12-2014, 16:29
Tie a bit of line on the suspension near the hammock for the water to follow.

SilvrSurfr
02-12-2014, 16:34
Build a water break into your suspension - my favorite is Dutch Whoopie Hooks, but you could also use a Dutch biner.

VictoriaGuy
02-12-2014, 17:05
Build a water break into your suspension - my favorite is Dutch Whoopie Hooks, but you could also use a Dutch biner.

Or lightweight climbing biners.
If using biners, you can put a piece of rubber (bike/truck tube rubber) on the biner as a 'backup' rain stop.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/pi/_at/440x420/exped/x30301165_1.jpg

lckeeper1
02-12-2014, 17:34
Great idea on adding a lil something on the biners! I may have to implement that one!

Mountnman
02-12-2014, 17:36
+1 on the whoopie hooks they work great

MAD777
02-12-2014, 17:39
Another fan of Dutch's Whoopie Hooks here.

Conure
02-12-2014, 17:55
I've been using Dutch Biners, haven't had an issue.

thos nelson jr
02-12-2014, 18:02
Thanks for the suggestions...looking at the biners with rubber makes me think that
I could put those one the whoopie as well. I have a spare tube anyway.

Lots of rain in Georgia lately so ill know the results soon enough.

SnarkyJosh
02-12-2014, 18:12
...looking at the biners with rubber makes me think that I could put those one the whoopie as well...

My whoopies are directly attached to my hammock so I cut two small discs from a bike inner tube and put them near the end.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/SnarkyJosh/HammockForums/enowhoopie.jpg

thos nelson jr
02-12-2014, 18:41
Thanks for the photo Josh.

dkurfiss
02-12-2014, 19:10
I just tie off a piece of cotton shoe lace or ShamWOW strip just above were there suspension hits the hammock. Water will run down the drip line rather than into my hammock. Paracord or any type of rope will do the trick as water will run to the lowest point which in this case is the drip line.

FLRider
02-13-2014, 11:10
Hang your pack from one end and a stuff sack or blackbishop bag from the other. Haven't had a problem with water wicking into the hammock with this, aside from the one time my tiny asym tarp fell off of the whipping knobs of the hammock. Using S-biners now to keep that from happening, and no trouble in ~35 nights of hanging with whoopies.

bushcraftbasics
02-18-2014, 15:48
I just tie the "tag-end" of the whoopee slings around the suspension...it gets the excess off the ground and keeps the water from wicking down to your hammock...win-win

IRONFISH45
02-18-2014, 21:08
Or lightweight climbing biners.
If using biners, you can put a piece of rubber (bike/truck tube rubber) on the biner as a 'backup' rain stop.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/pi/_at/440x420/exped/x30301165_1.jpg

Thank You, VictoriaGuy, I would never have thought of that. I am going to go fix mine right now.

I have two little kids staying with me for a time while their adults get their self sorted out. I have been teaching the kids some basic bush craft. We made hammocks, fashioned tarps out of painters plastic, made stoves out of tuna fish cans and we have been collecting camping recipes. We have done two back yard hangs. This coming weekend we are going to go out in the bush and test our skills. I know it is going to be a very wet trip, your idea is going to be a big help in the staying dry department.

capta1n
02-20-2014, 10:30
I use a small piece of 550 knotted and hanging down. works fine, but i like the rubber.