PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt suspension questions....

baiku
02-12-2014, 19:57
Just received my full length Zeppelin, and I'm impressed with the quality.

But I have some questions:

I understand the primary suspension that runs the length of the hammock and hooks to the hammock suspension with S-biners, and the shock cords that tighten the "collar" at each end.

But the web site speaks of a removable secondary suspension, and mentions the triangular loops along the sides. I don't see anything that looks removable, and I don't understand how those loops are used. I can't see any sense in having cords from the loops over the ridge line every foot or so.

-Art

sr1355
02-12-2014, 20:15
There are two sets of shock cord at each end, one is a continuous piece that runs end to end of the quilt and provides the "LIFT" to the quilt. It's adjustment is controlled by a single large cord lock on one of the S-Biners. The S-Biners have one gate removed to ease with hanging and removing the quilt from your hammock suspension. The weight of the quilt and tension in the shock cord will keep it in place on your hammock suspension.

The second set of suspension at each end is connected to the two corners of the quilt at each end with a cord lock at each corner. There is a split ring in the middle of this that connects it to the S-Biner on the primary suspension. This can be adjusted to keep the quilt extended as well as to locate the quilt on the hammock head to foot by tightening or loosening the appropriate corners of the quilt.

This secondary suspension can be removed by untying on of the stopper knots and removing the cord lock allowing you to remove the secondary suspension.

Once you have the Primary and Secondary suspensions dialed into your hammock you can control venting of the UQ with the head and foot draws. Leaving the Primary and Secondary suspensions as is between trips out in the hammock.

Hope that all makes sense we really need to get some new videos done and up on the site.

Loops on side of quilt are for several uses:

1) You can lace bottom three sets or so from one end and creat a TQ in a pinch

2) You can use one to add a UQ leash that allows you to pull the quilt under the hammock. On warm summer nights you might not need the quilt when you go to bed but by 3:00am it has cooled off and you need that quilt. Pull the leash and there it is under you.

3) Tri-loops are placed so you can add a small piece of SC on the Asym pulls of most hammocks and clip quilt to them to "SHAPE" the quilt as well as prevent quilt creep off your shoulder.

4) Heavy winter quilts may benefit from the addition of shock cord from one side of the quilt up over a structural ridge line and down to the other side of the quilt adding lift. Shock cord tends to "Relax" in cold weather and additional support may be warranted.

Ironchic
02-12-2014, 20:22
I had sag and air gaps with my full length UQ. So when temps dropped below 40deg I couldn't stay warm. I watched countless videos! Solution.... I hooked shock cord to the loops on the side of the UQ by my knees and ran it over my RL. Result.... it pulled the UQ up tight under my legs. Works great.

baiku
02-13-2014, 17:25
Thank you all! That's great information for a noob like me. Much appreciated.

Winged Warrior
08-21-2014, 22:03
The second set of suspension at each end is connected to the two corners of the quilt at each end with a cord lock at each corner. There is a split ring in the middle of this that connects it to the S-Biner on the primary suspension. This can be adjusted to keep the quilt extended as well as to locate the quilt on the hammock head to foot by tightening or loosening the appropriate corners of the quilt.

I just received a Zeppelin 20* under quilt that the previous owner apparently removed the Secondary Suspension from. I've been searching for photos of the setup and exactly what this looks like so that I can add it back to mine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Jerry

rofo
08-22-2014, 19:33
I just received a Zeppelin 20* under quilt that the previous owner apparently removed the Secondary Suspension from. I've been searching for photos of the setup and exactly what this looks like so that I can add it back to mine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Jerry

PM (personal message) me with your email address and I will send you some pictures. May take me a couple of days to get back to you.

Winged Warrior
08-23-2014, 22:26
I wanted to publicly thank rofo for taking the time and effort to shoot and send me photos of the secondary suspension. They were awesome and will make it easy for me to replace them on my quilt.

His kindness is greatly appreciated.

Winged Warrior