PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Pine Barrens Bigfoot/NJ Devil/Deadphans Hunt>Sat 2/15/14

SilvrSurfr
02-13-2014, 01:37
Some fine weather out there. Thinking about an overnighter on Saturday down in the piney woods. Here's the options I see:

1) Batona Camp - car camping - easiest place to test out some good snow and low temps. High in the 30's before plummeting to single digits Saturday night. Whooo Buddy! Day and night hikes as necessary to maintain circulation.
2) Mullica River - might not be a good choice if snow is deep and I ain't got no snowshoes.
3) Hawkin Bridge - always wanted to go there but the roads were hell when I drove down to Godfrey Bridge last month and they're liable to be worse this weekend.

And no, I will not be hunting for the NJ Devil or Bigfoot, but I am going to be looking for Deadphans!:D No HF member has ever seen him and I want to be the first. As bait, I'll be using a Dutchware spliced Tarp Flyz non-continuous ridgeline setup to lure him into one of our group hangs.

And if anybody wants to post this on meetup.com, y'all feel free!:D

SilvrSurfr
02-13-2014, 01:42
For any out-of-staters, Governor Christie has saved us from oppressive over-regulation, and there is no license required for hunting of Bigfoot/NJ Devil or Deadphans. Catch and release, however, will be enforced.

JollyGreen
02-13-2014, 06:58
A&E is running a special on the elusive Deadphans next Monday.

Ratdog
02-13-2014, 08:14
Last night there was a dusting of snow under my tarp.

This is what I woke up to...be interesting to see how much is left after rain, more snow tonight. Snow predicted for this weekend.

Will keep an eye on meetup.com for details on when and where.:rolleyes:

SilvrSurfr
02-13-2014, 16:38
If you decide to come out, I'll just need to put a booger on my camera lens to blur the video of you walking through the piney woods. It'll only take five seconds, then I can post it on YouTube as a Bigfoot sighting.

Bring a Ghillie suit if you have it.

SilvrSurfr
02-13-2014, 22:27
Ratdog how much snow did you guys get? Mostly rain here but the radar looked sweet for the Pine Barrens. Is there a snofa or lovesleet in my future?

silentorpheus
02-13-2014, 22:51
Ratdog how much snow did you guys get? Mostly rain here but the radar looked sweet for the Pine Barrens. Is there a snofa or lovesleet in my future?

Man, you just got rain?

We got at least 9" overnight into late morning. Then it switched to rain - which didn't melt a darn thing. I'm running out of places to pile it.

Ratdog
02-13-2014, 22:52
We got about 10" but with all the sleet and rain that followed, it's a mess.

Should be getting more snow tonight. I'll be heading out to the hammock in about an hour and can take a better look at things.

Having said that, no doubt there will be plenty of wet heavy snow and temps should be pretty low, so it could be one stout snow sofa that is built. Or maybe ice sofa.

Earlier today...
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/IMG_2761.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/IMG_2761.jpg.html)

Ratdog
02-14-2014, 01:22
Finally made it to the hammock tonight, already have another inch of light stuff and the rest of the snow hasn't gone anywhere. Still have 2-3 feet piled up around the tarp.

On the plus side, not much of the 20+ mph winds are getting through.

silentorpheus
02-14-2014, 18:26
Lookin' like some unpleasant weather in store for tomorrow. Possible snow, mixed with freezing rain. :(

SilvrSurfr
02-14-2014, 20:20
I have to work tonight - if it doesn't go on too long I'll decide in the morning if I'm gonna hit Batona Camp tomorrow night. Might be my last chance to get out this month.

Looks like the rain will be gone by 3 pm, which is about the time I would plan on arriving. Snow should be done by 9 pm.

Ratdog
02-14-2014, 20:24
Will keep an eye on the thread.

Ratdog
02-15-2014, 00:27
Not sure if the pump is still frozen, figure everyone will be carrying their own blow torch anyways.

SilvrSurfr
02-15-2014, 01:14
Yeah, gonna bring some bottled water. Just realized it's a full moon. That should bring out the crazy in me!:lol:

Just got done with work - gonna kick back and enjoy a pop or two, then see if I can get my butt up in the morning and packed (shouldn't be hard - chuck all gear into car and stop at grocery store on the way out of town).

Wife urging me not to go 'cause I'll freeze to death and she'll lose her gravy train - she just doesn't get winter camping.

Ratdog - as usual I'll be running late. Any chance you could go snag a permit for Batona? I should be able to confirm my participation by 11:30 or so.

Ratdog
02-15-2014, 02:39
Yeah, gonna bring some bottled water. Just realized it's a full moon. That should bring out the crazy in me!:lol:

Just got done with work - gonna kick back and enjoy a pop or two, then see if I can get my butt up in the morning and packed (shouldn't be hard - chuck all gear into car and stop at grocery store on the way out of town).

Wife urging me not to go 'cause I'll freeze to death and she'll lose her gravy train - she just doesn't get winter camping.

Ratdog - as usual I'll be running late. Any chance you could go snag a permit for Batona? I should be able to confirm my participation by 11:30 or so.

Pretty good chance - I am up still working, freakin javascript...

I'll check the thread in the AM, grab some breakfast, hang at my sister's which puts me closer and run down there if needs be, no worries. I won't pack up until I get back, which means throw the hammock in the truck and head out later.

Since I'm still up I won't be at her place until after 10 anyway.

If you want, shoot me a pm w/ car make/model/lic plate, DNA sequence, mother's maiden and whatever else the 'system' requires. Don't think it will matter, there's enough vehicles on my Reserve America profile already.

SilvrSurfr
02-15-2014, 03:05
Yeah, tonight I had to bring up two new MPLS Fast Ethernet circuits in Kuala Lampur. change all the BGP route maps and test failover to redundant carrier. Then hours of testing for asymmetric routing and community strings and then customer testing - I have a headache just thinking about it.

Ratdog
02-15-2014, 10:15
Yeah, tonight I had to bring up two new MPLS Fast Ethernet circuits in Kuala Lampur. change all the BGP route maps and test failover to redundant carrier. Then hours of testing for asymmetric routing and community strings and then customer testing - I have a headache just thinking about it.

I hear ya, but hey, it's a living. Routers been puttin food on my table long before RIPv2 came out. Used load this old WellFleet piece of iron with a 3.5" floppy back in '94 and been doin it ever since.

Ok, heading over to sister's, may have already missed the bacon. They have been sending txt msgs for the last hour.

Very light rain at the moment.

SilvrSurfr
02-15-2014, 11:32
Glad it isn't snowing yet. I hope to get down there 3 or 4.

silentorpheus
02-15-2014, 11:33
It's heavy snow up here. But it's not supposed to last.

SS - give me a call when you get a chance.