PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet BB Double vs Single

Quoddy
05-30-2009, 13:09
I had my WB BB double 1.7 and after trying it out thought that it was the most comfortable hammock I'd ever slept in. I plan on doing another Long Trail End-to-End this year and thought I might consider taking a 1.7 single, for the lower weight, if it felt as good as the double.

The single came today and the first thing I did was to weigh each one in the Black Bishop type bag. The Double 1.7 (with webbing) was 35.7oz and the Single 1.7 (also with webbing) was 26.9oz.

At my heaviest (pre long hike) weight, which happens to be right now, I'm around 194# and I found that the single was enough to support me very comfortably, and almost as flat as the double. It's a breezy day today and I felt every wisp of wind go under my butt, something I didn't feel with the double. With the Yeti there will be plenty of warmth, even with the single layer.

For the 8.8oz difference in weight I'm going to take the single on the thru hike. Although it seems a small amount, it's considerable when taking into consideration my very lightweight gear.

Single or double, you can't go wrong with the Warbonnet.

MAD777
05-30-2009, 13:17
Quoddy,

My double 1.1 is on order and I went through the same mental debate about single vs. double. I'm at 185 lbs. so it was either the single 1.7 or double 1.1 for me. I started out leaning toward the single 1.7 but after many folks here advised me to go for the double 1.1, I followed there advice. This did cost me a about 3-4 ounces and, as we both "hang out" at BLP, I know that is a high priority of ours. But, I was untimately convinced that a pad with the double gives extra flexibility. I have full hammock pads from Gossamer Gear that are 1/8"x30"x84" that weigh only 7 oz. So, if I can leave the quilt at home during mild weather, I might actually save an ounce!

But, I agree, single or double, Warbonnet is the way to go! :thumbup:

Coldspring
05-30-2009, 16:15
I used a Warbonnet Double 1.1 Traveler hammock all winter long. It weighs 19 oz with the amsteel blue lines and tree straps.

My 31 oz Double 1.1 Blackbird with the strap system seems to be holding up just fine, I had trouble with at first, but don't know if it was the ridgeline being too short or if it just hadn't stretched out yet. It's quite comfortable now that I've let the ridgeline out and slept in it a few nights. I've actually been thinking about going to the amsteel blue to save a few ounces.

I vary from 240-250 lbs, not including clothing and the stuff I put in the storage shelf.

Right now, my three biggest faults with the Blackbird are the weight, not having a tie off to roll the netting out of the way, and not having a logo tag.

MedicineMan
05-30-2009, 21:30
The mental debate each of us goes through in decided 1.1 vs 1.7 single vs. double ultimately led me to the Yeti.
I'm currently 195pounds so went double 1.1
The punsishment is the webbing is you choose and I did....but the Yeti will offset that pain.
Flexibility in choosing double bottom is a huge plus. I'm not that concerned over comfort double versus single.
I've not recieved mine yet but just what if the double would allow native materials inserted--leaves/pine needles--that would be a ticket on summer nights.

east_stingray
05-30-2009, 22:01
There have been rumors that mosquitoes are undeterred by a single-layer hammock, but they apparently can't bit through a double layer. I'm not sure how often I'll be laying in the hammock with nothing under me at all, but I really, really hate mosquitoes :D

gRaFFiX
06-14-2009, 20:52
just emailed brandon for a 1.1 double, and it's nice to see I wasn't the only one having trouble deciding between a 1.7 single or a 1.1 double.

How do I get a Yeti?

Cannibal
06-14-2009, 23:01
How do I get a Yeti?
Same way you ordered your Blackbird, just send him a PM.

MedicineMan
06-14-2009, 23:05
I am so impressed with my WB that I'm saving up for another one....the next one will be a double 1.7
I plan to use the double 1.1 for hiking and the double 1.7 for paddle camping.
Now I'm not a thinker--just a do'er....so is there a way to 'unclip' the webbing/rings and clip on amsteel? That would be a nice option for those days when you want to go as light as possible.

gRaFFiX
06-15-2009, 20:47
Brandon just emailed me back and I'm on the list, 3 weeks out, but I can wait. mabey.

What is the price of the yeti? not able to afford one just yet but I want one in the future.

intheswim
06-15-2009, 20:55
the 1.1 fabric is very fine and feels like silk. The 1.7 is more coarse.

Take-a-knee
06-15-2009, 21:10
I can't decide on a 1.1 single or a 1.7 single. Brandon says the former is for 150# or lighter and I weigh 162#.

HikerRanky
06-15-2009, 22:41
I can't decide on a 1.1 single or a 1.7 single. Brandon says the former is for 150# or lighter and I weigh 162#.

Any particular reason for not doing a 1.1 double?

Randy

gRaFFiX
06-15-2009, 22:43
don't forget to factor in all the extra gear you'll have inside... pad, sleeping bag, stowed gear on the shelf, pillow, clothes. I'd go with the 1.7, of the two options.

Cannibal
06-15-2009, 23:28
I don't think 162 will have any problems at all in a double 1.1. Most folks don't start noticing any real stretch till they get closer to 200. I'm closer to 225 and can still sleep in Genuine Draft's 1.1. Not as comfortable, but still more comfortable than many of my other hammocks. Well, IMO anyway.

gRaFFiX
06-16-2009, 00:00
he wrote 1.1 single, unless he meant double, then I'd agree also.

MedicineMan
06-16-2009, 03:12
I played around with the 1.1 double WBBB and a piece of quater inch closed cell foam (bought from Speer Hammocks)...awesome combination!
I still hate a foam pad on the outside of my pack compared to a UQ in the pack but sometimes the 1/4 inch is all that is needed...just a super perq of the Warbonnet hammock.

dbriggs9
06-17-2009, 19:05
1.1 double or 1.7 double?

I'm about 170 to 175 pounds.

warbonnetguy
06-17-2009, 19:07
double 1.1