PDA

View Full Version : Paddling Forum Section?

Ewker
06-03-2009, 13:02
is it possible to create an new forum just for paddling on here? So many folks like to paddle and hammock that is seems like a natural. We could list links to other rivers/places to paddle etc. It would make it easier to locate trips that people have done if it was all under one section.

fin
06-03-2009, 13:06
Sounds like a Members Forum item to me. That way, paddling doesn't take over the main purpose of the site.

Ewker
06-03-2009, 13:15
I don't think it would take it over. It would be its own forum on here just like the other things non hammock stuff. To me this is the same as backapcking except with a kayak or canoe and backpacking hasn't taken over the site.

Just a thought :)

canoebie
06-03-2009, 13:17
I like the idea, go figure!

headchange4u
06-03-2009, 14:25
We like to keep thing as focused on hammock as possible. There is already a lot of boat talk going on in the non-hammock forums, which is just great, but a separate subforum isn't needed. There are several other boating related sites that could provide a lot better discussion than we ever could here on HF. :D

Ewker
06-03-2009, 14:33
We like to keep thing as focused on hammock as possible. There is already a lot of boat talk going on in the non-hammock forums, which is just great, but a separate subforum isn't needed. There are several other boating related sites that could provide a lot better discussion than we ever could here on HF. :D

I knew a non paddler would raise their head :lol:

actually it would be focused on hammocking as people would be showing odd ways of hanging a hammock on a river/creek/stream bed or up in the trees along the banks. Maybe even using deadfall as a way to hang.

Greg Dunlap
06-03-2009, 14:48
Might I suggest one of these two?

http://ikayak.ning.com/ (http://ikayak.ning.com/)

http://go.kayaking.com/

I belong to both myself.

tatersalad
06-03-2009, 15:44
im likeing the debate but i think it is a good idea eddy

animalcontrol
06-03-2009, 15:53
I don't think it would take it over. It would be its own forum on here just like the other things non hammock stuff. To me this is the same as backapcking except with a kayak or canoe and backpacking hasn't taken over the site.

Just a thought :)
Unless I've missed it, HF doesn't have a backpacking or car camping specific sections
I have learned alot in the little boating discussions...

tatersalad
06-03-2009, 15:55
im apart of a fly fishing forum and we even have a backpacking/camping section and we got a boating section to but that obvious

Ewker
06-03-2009, 15:58
Unless I've missed it, HF doesn't have a backpacking or car camping specific sections
I have learned alot in the little boating discussions...

Long distance hiking with a hammock? That is backpacking, trip reports, etc. It doesn't have to have its own section..just put it in Outings. That way all the paddling links,reports can be in that one area :D

headchange4u
06-03-2009, 16:00
I knew a non paddler would raise their head :lol:

Former paddler thank you very much.:D :p

I sold my boats to buy a pop up camper. I just didn't use them much anymore.

Ewker
06-03-2009, 16:03
Former paddler thank you very much.:D :p

I sold my boats to buy a pop up camper. I just didn't use them much anymore.

oh ok..former paddler

well see if we start a paddling section then you have a reason to go out and buy a new one. I mean you have to know how to pack that hammock for paddling..right :rolleyes:

Cannibal
06-03-2009, 16:13
Another former paddler chiming in. :D

Sorry Ewker, but I gotta go with headchange4u on this one. We already talk about stuff like that in the Member's Open Discussion sub and in the Non-Hammock Gear Discussion sub. I don't see what the value would be for a Paddling sub? Just to make threads easier to find?

I'm open to enlightenment, but I honestly don't understand the need. :confused:

fin
06-03-2009, 20:14
And I am a current paddler, and I would go to a different site to get paddling info/tips. I like the hammock river trip reports and the pics, I did one myself last summer. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5393) But I don't want to "muddy the waters" here with kayak/canoe talk.;)

angrysparrow
06-03-2009, 20:55
Don't worry, everyone. HF's focus is and will continue to be hammocks. Hammock info is what we know best (better than anyone). And one of the reasons that it's such a valuable resource is because we haven't lost that targeted focus. I agree with HC4U (and others) that the main forums should remain true to hammocks and hammocking gear.

We already accommodate paddling (as Finn pointed out) through our Trip Reports section, as well as some talk in the Non-Hammock Gear and Donating Member's Discussion sub-forums. That's great, and should continue (I post to those myself!).

What we *can* do, though, to accommodate paddlers and without changing HF is to make a sub-forum inside the Donating Member's section. That would keep much of the paddling talk isolated in one centralized place where it is easy to access. As it grows, it would become a further incentive for people to Donate and support HF in order to talk very specifically there about hammocking/paddling.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a Members Forum item to me. That way, paddling doesn't take over the main purpose of the site.

Exactly.

Coldspring
06-03-2009, 21:25
Is there a paddling forum where the people understand lightweight camping gear? I've asked questions on one in particular and wasn't happy with the answers. I'm not interested in carrying around a 15 lb tent and a 20 lb cast iron dutch oven... partly because I like to carry about 30 lbs of beer!

I actually slept in my backup tent the other night on the river, as it can be a challenge to find a hammock site. I slept like a log, all night long in the tent. The next night I was able to hang my hammock and I woke up at midnight and never could get back to sleep. Go figure.

Iafte
06-03-2009, 21:36
I pogo stick and hammock, why are they getting their own section and I'm not? And what about the unicycles, and those that ride motorcycles... ect.

It gets kinda silly after a while trying to please everyone.

The main focus here is hammocks, I don't come here looking for hiking info.

I think the Long distance hikes with a hammock was the original Trip report section. Maybe all the posts should be moved to Trip reports and it be deleted.

angrysparrow
06-03-2009, 21:43
I pogo stick and hammock, why are they getting their own section and I'm not?

As long as it goes in the Donating Member's section, you can have one if you like... :D

Coldspring
06-03-2009, 22:00
I pogo stick and hammock...

How high do those things bounce? I'm thinking of new hanging possibilities here. :D

seuss
06-03-2009, 22:58
Is there a paddling forum where the people understand lightweight camping gear? I've asked questions on one in particular and wasn't happy with the answers. I'm not interested in carrying around a 15 lb tent and a 20 lb cast iron dutch oven... partly because I like to carry about 30 lbs of beer!

Try the Old Sparkey Forum (http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/index.php) There's still all the usual talk about dutch ovens, but quite a few have already been converted to hammockry.

headchange4u
06-03-2009, 23:07
I pogo stick and hammock...

You are my hero:lol:

Ewker
06-03-2009, 23:13

I actually slept in my backup tent the other night on the river, as it can be a challenge to find a hammock site. I slept like a log, all night long in the tent. The next night I was able to hang my hammock and I woke up at midnight and never could get back to sleep. Go figure.

I am with you. When I do kayak camp I take the same things I do when I go backpacking. A 20lb cast iron oven is out of the question. I take my tarptent or my hubba. The freestanding tents works best. I haven't taken a hammock on a kayak trip yet but I would (along with my tent).

I have looked at forums on other sites and most are like what you found :(

Ewker
06-03-2009, 23:13
Try the Old Sparkey Forum (http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/index.php) There's still all the usual talk about dutch ovens, but quite a few have already been converted to hammockry.

thanks I will check it out

Coffee
06-04-2009, 13:31
This brings up an issue that comes up every now and then. The only thing that sets this forum appart is it is dedicated to hammocks. Sure there is other talk here and there. But there are better places as others said for what area you want to talk about.

I'm for keeping the focus where it is.

canoebie
06-04-2009, 13:50
Coffee et al:

I agree that hammocking is the main focus. I also have seen numerous threads on stoves, packs, etc. all related to backpacking. Reason being most folks here backpack. I think a similar thread (and there have been some) could run related to paddling as it pertains to hammocking and equipment used. There are all kinds of styles of paddling ranging from absolutely minimalist to dutch oven, coolers, 500 pounds of gear stuff. All can accomodate hammocking.

If a member chose to run a thread on paddling, I don't see much harm in it in the member's section. If we can talk about what music we listen to, surely we could have a discussion related to paddling for those who have interest.

The central focus and the main threads do need to focus on hammocks. Another option for donating members as part of the privilige of membership could be to expand beyond that to a specific interest related to paddling much as has been done with everything from music to geocaching.

If it is abused, it could be limited, much as the political discussions pre-election of last year. I am here because I hammock and paddle. There are others here because they backpack and hammock. I do not want to limit discussion as it pertains to backpacking and hammocks, nor do I want to limit the discussion of paddling and hammocks.

Take-a-knee
06-04-2009, 14:07
I think it's all good, I hike and paddle. I don't ride a motorcycle but I've enjoyed reading about motorcyclists who travel and hang.

ricegravy
06-04-2009, 15:25
I wouldn't mind some more info about hammock camping and paddling. I bought my fist kayak this week. I don't think that it's a bad idea, but maybe it does belong in the members section.

fin
06-04-2009, 17:02
I bought my fist kayak

How do you carry all your stuff in a "fist" kayak?:laugh::lol:

Greg Dunlap
06-04-2009, 17:43
Fishin'Finn, ya hold it in your fist!!:boggle::lol:

Makes it hard to paddle though

ricegravy
06-04-2009, 17:46
How do you carry all your stuff in a "fist" kayak?:laugh::lol:

Well Mr. Fish, If I told you that then I would have to... Well You know.

:lol::cool::D

Doftya
06-04-2009, 21:07
As for a paddling forum, my personal favorite is Canadian Canoe Routes (www.myccr.com (http://www.myccr.com)). There have been a couple of questions about hammocks, and I have referred them to this forum because this is the best place to get info on hammocks. I can also recommend their forum for the finding and sharing info, and like here, the members are good people.

Dave

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 21:24
i have searched and searched for a good FORUM for kayaking but have not found ONE that was not self serving.
i just wanteed to know: the best battery for a 12v lighting system for my kayak:)

Doftya
06-05-2009, 11:13
Scavenge one from one of those "Emergency Exit" signs. If it's a sealed gel cell, they are absolutely fabulous. PS - to keep it charged, drop by your local VW dealer and ask for one of the little solar panels they ship the cars with. Great little trickle charger for 12V systems. Many times you can get it for free.

Dave

Ewker
06-05-2009, 11:44
As for a paddling forum, my personal favorite is Canadian Canoe Routes (www.myccr.com (http://www.myccr.com)). There have been a couple of questions about hammocks, and I have referred them to this forum because this is the best place to get info on hammocks. I can also recommend their forum for the finding and sharing info, and like here, the members are good people.

Dave

It was interesting to read the trip report of the guy who paddled from Hay River to the Arctic Ocean. Wow what a trip 950+ miles in 49 days.

His name was Dave...any chance that was you?

I found another one 1000+ miles in 28 days.

thanks for sharing that site. It has a lot of good reading!!

Iafte
06-05-2009, 16:06
Just in case you thought I was kidding around about the Pogo stick... :cool:

Xuopg3MWA9M

spidennis
06-05-2009, 16:09
http://www.texaswatersafari.org/
the texas water safari, a 260 mile non-stop race starts next weekend ..... I plan on doing it next year, though I plan to take a nap when necessary, in my hammock of course ......

headchange4u
06-05-2009, 18:45
Just in case you thought I was kidding around about the Pogo stick... :cool:

:scared:Holy moley. :scared:

Is that you in the video?

EDIT:
What's the vertical on those bounces?

MAD777
06-05-2009, 19:01
"Just in case you thought I was kidding around about the Pogo stick..."

I'd love to see the out-takes on that video! :scared:

Iafte
06-05-2009, 19:47
:scared:Holy moley. :scared:

Is that you in the video?

EDIT:

Umm, sure, sure it is...

Na, it's not me. :lol:

Iafte
06-05-2009, 19:55

I would say about 4-5 feet easy...

KjYggl3AACA

7' 6"!!!!!

T-BACK
06-06-2009, 08:02
i have searched and searched for a good FORUM for kayaking but have not found ONE that was not self serving.
i just wanteed to know: the best battery for a 12v lighting system for my kayak:)

Karl,

The newer lithium portable tool (drills and such) batteries are hard to beat. They are compact, lightweight, and have plenty of power for those "git-r-done" jobs. It should run a set of 12v light a loooong time. The regular nicads do very well also. They are much cheaper but a little heavier.

kayak karl
06-06-2009, 13:30
Karl,

The newer lithium portable tool (drills and such) batteries are hard to beat. They are compact, lightweight, and have plenty of power for those "git-r-done" jobs. It should run a set of 12v light a loooong time. The regular nicads do very well also. They are much cheaper but a little heavier.
i have them and the gel-packs for emergency lighting. just never tought of them. they would have to power LED bulbs to last a long time, right???

neo
06-07-2009, 11:45
Long distance hiking with a hammock? That is backpacking, trip reports, etc. It doesn't have to have its own section..just put it in Outings. That way all the paddling links,reports can be in that one area :D

:)i long distance paddle with my hammock:shades:neo

neo
06-07-2009, 11:47
:)ed speer is a long distance paddler and hammock hanger:shades:neo

DuctTape
06-07-2009, 11:48
:)i long distance paddle with my hammock:shades:neo

:)

Laying in the hammock after a long day of paddling is awesome.

neo
06-07-2009, 11:48
is it possible to create an new forum just for paddling on here? So many folks like to paddle and hammock that is seems like a natural. We could list links to other rivers/places to paddle etc. It would make it easier to locate trips that people have done if it was all under one section.

i even sent a pm to angrysparrow about a paddler forum about a week or so ago:cool:neo

neo
06-07-2009, 11:49

:Ddude you need to start paddling and hanging,:cool:neo

neo
06-07-2009, 11:50
:)

Laying in the hammock after a long day of paddling is awesome.

:)you can say that again:shades:neo

canoebie
06-07-2009, 14:11
:Ddude you need to start paddling and hanging,:cool:neo

Doesn't everyone Neo? Sweet comment. There is nothing better than traveling a river.

Ewker
06-07-2009, 15:06
I didn't do any camping this weekend but I did go paddling both days. A lot of fun watching the crazies on the rivers with their canoes loaded down with coolers, lawnchairs, coolers, grills, coolers....see a pattern:lol: What was funny was the look on their face when they would hit a gravel bar and couldn't move. They couldn't figure it out that they had the canoe loaded down with beer which is why they weren't moving :rolleyes:

I must be getting old because most of them didn't look to be 21. Even though they were partying they were polite. A few times we helped them upright the canoes, catch the beers amd lawnchairs. They would give us a beer or two for helping and would always say thank you or yes Sir!!!!! :eek:

Darby
06-07-2009, 22:27
There's alot to be said about good manners.

east_stingray
06-07-2009, 23:38
I didn't do any camping this weekend but I did go paddling both days. A lot of fun watching the crazies on the rivers with their canoes loaded down with coolers, lawnchairs, coolers, grills, coolers....see a pattern:lol: What was funny was the look on their face when they would hit a gravel bar and couldn't move. They couldn't figure it out that they had the canoe loaded down with beer which is why they weren't moving :rolleyes:

I must be getting old because most of them didn't look to be 21. Even though they were partying they were polite. A few times we helped them upright the canoes, catch the beers amd lawnchairs. They would give us a beer or two for helping and would always say thank you or yes Sir!!!!! :eek:

LMAO. On the buffalo river trip I recently took with my family (posted in trip reports), we were passed by two canoes of college kids who asked us, "you haven't seen any fishing poles, have you?

The first rapid was rougher than normal, but it was obvious that their problems stemmed from not having any experience at all. At any rate, my dad politely explained to them that in all his years of fishing and tipping over boats he'd never seen a fishing pole that floated.

Riverpirate
06-10-2009, 13:18
There are lots of good paddleing forums out there now. If you are in to fishing from a yak or canoe you might check out this one:

http://atlantakayakfishing.com/forum/

and if you like fishing in rivers you might check out this one:

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/index.php

angrysparrow
06-10-2009, 14:27
Like HC4U said at the outset of this thread, HF needs to stay focused on hammocks and hammocking gear. If we dilute that focus, it takes some of the value away from the site.

But, we do have an Off-Topic section for open discussion by the donating members. So, there are now two new sub-forums, both in the Off-Topic Donating Members Lounge. One for paddling, one for pogo... :D Happy Hanging Paddling and Bouncing.