PDA

View Full Version : Do I absolutely need both spreader bars?

Joz
06-05-2009, 18:21
Pan, or someone else who knows these things...Do I need to have both spreader bars on the BMBH, or can I drop the foot end one to simplify cocooning myself into a sleeping bag type quilt? Or does the weight distribution go out the window?

GrizzlyAdams
06-05-2009, 18:28
Pan, or someone else who knows these things...Do I need to have both spreader bars on the BMBH, or can I drop the foot end one to simplify cocooning myself into a sleeping bag type quilt? Or does the weight distribution go out the window?
I've done that with DIY bridges. Works OK. I now typically use a short bar at the foot, so short you can make it work with a trail stick because the compression force is so low.

Grizz

BillyBob58
06-05-2009, 23:37
I have used some very short spreader bars. It's not quite as comfy, but still doable. Of course, I would only do this in a severe storm where I am wanting to close the foot end of the tarp, I'm not sure I would want to do it all the time in order to use a pod type quilt.

Have you got a BMBH?o, have you tried it with no bar in the foot. I think it would be a lot more comfortable with at least a short bar or stick.