PDA

View Full Version : Spreader bar storage

sandykayak
03-01-2014, 08:59
Having mentally solved my spreader bar popping out problem, I'm now thinking of ways to keep the bars with the hammock.

After stuffing the hammock in its storage bag, there's no way I can shove the bars in there.

I'm thinking of some kind of stretchy pocket on the outside of the bag. Or perhaps stitch some strips of elastic and then end pockets similar to the ones on the hammock.

What do others do?

old4hats
03-01-2014, 10:35
[QUOTE=sandykayak;1210797]Having mentally solved my spreader bar popping out problem, I'm now thinking of ways to keep the bars with the hammock.

After stuffing the hammock in its storage bag, there's no way I can shove the bars in there.

I'm thinking of some kind of stretchy pocket on the outside of the bag. Or perhaps stitch some strips of elastic and then end pockets similar to the ones on the hammock.

What do others do?[/QUOTE

The best I have done is to put them in an outside pocket of my pack. I do have them in a small ripstop sack my wife made for them.

fallkniven
03-01-2014, 16:50
I use one jrb's pole bags. Shove my spreader poles for the hammock and tarp in them, then just slide it into the pack.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/spreader-bar-storage-bag/

sandykayak
03-02-2014, 09:57
Tx. Hadn't seen that. That is within my sewing skills. Daisy chain is a good idea.

newfieghost
03-02-2014, 11:03
I had/have a similar issue with my spreader bars for the screen on my hammock, here is what i have done. I took some cardboard made a envelop and wrapped it in a single layer of duct tape. This slides into my stuff sack nicely and seems to protect the hammock and bars from each other. Just did this today so I'll let you know how it works.

oldpappy
03-02-2014, 19:36
How about the bag a small fold-up chair comes in? I've kept tent poles in these bags before - shoulder strap might be handy to attach to the backpack.

sandykayak
03-03-2014, 10:50
Newfie, do you put the spreader bars first and then somehow manage to stuff the hammock?

Seems awkward but there's no way I can shove in the bars after the bag is full of hammock. That's why I was trying to come up with some way to attach to the outside of the bag.

newfieghost
03-03-2014, 16:37
My envelop can be but in before or after be it is a little easier before. I have tried to attach a pic.

newfieghost
03-03-2014, 16:41
Here is the contents of my pouch

newfieghost
03-03-2014, 16:58
Two 2 piece spreader bars, two toggles and two pegs

newfieghost
03-03-2014, 17:02
The spreader bars are made from aluminum arrow shafts cut to 9 inches and joins with a wooden dowel to make them 18 inches

Zilla
03-03-2014, 17:02
My wife has made a long bag and sewn it on the outside of the hammock bag and it has a drawstring at the top ,she did the same thing with my stakes on the outside of my tarp bag

sandykayak
03-04-2014, 12:14
Ok, Zilla, that's exactly what I had in mind. PITA to unstitch the bags and sew pockets by machine but also awkward to hand-stitch the smaller bags to the main stuff sack.

Another project to add to the list of things I might get around to one day! tx