PDA

View Full Version : PowerGrid Nylon with Spectra. 500 Denier coated Ripstop Nylon?

thesleepingcoyote
04-01-2007, 16:00
Has anybody used "PowerGrid Nylon with Spectra. 500 Denier coated Ripstop Nylon" for there body of there hammock? Also what other fabrics are good for the hammock body other than 1.9oz ripstop nylon?
Cody

slowhike
04-01-2007, 16:46
i went to a site that told some about it, but i didn't see a weight per sq yard. it sounds heavy though.
another thing is that not many people want to make a hammock from a waterproof material because it is likely to hold your body perspiration & get you wet.

lvleph
04-01-2007, 20:47
I thought it was 4.4oz per sq. yd. I also thought it was urethane coated, and so I doubt it would be good.

thesleepingcoyote
04-01-2007, 22:06
OK just was wondering about it. Being a rock climber I figured going with the powergrid spectra would help in its strength and durability but if it has a urethane coating on it Ill opt. not to use it.
Thanks
Cody

Coffee
04-01-2007, 22:40
I think everyone's reasons for material are based in either cost and/or weight. I use 1.9 oz untreated from walmart that runs me $1 a yard. I have used their taffeta, but I am hesitant to say what it's live span is. I couple people here have used 10mm (I think) silk with good results.

My opinion is that 1.9 oz even at retail price is about the best in terms of cost, weight, and durability, provided nothing else is on sale.

EDIT: If it helps as I reference, I just weighed the 1.9 oz untreated I cut to 60"x10'. It came out at 11oz.

slowhike
04-02-2007, 06:23
OK just was wondering about it. Being a rock climber I figured going with the powergrid spectra would help in its strength and durability but if it has a urethane coating on it Ill opt. not to use it.
Thanks
Cody

if you plan by chance to bivy in a hammock on the side of a cliff, that changes things.
you would need something that can handle abrasion because the hammock you sleep in has to be cared for because of the body weight that holds.