PDA

View Full Version : NY-Herkimer-June 2, 2014

lilprincess
03-04-2014, 15:50
The boys and I are planning a field trip to Herkimer NY for a Homeschool event at the Herkimer mine. I would rather not camp at the designated, across the street camp ground, but don't want to drive home that night either. Any places near there or on the way back to MA that might be a nice spot to hang four hammocks? Its a three hour, one way trip, that I'd rather not repeat the same day. (I don't usually drive long distances.)

NJTroutstalker
03-04-2014, 16:18
Adirondack park has like 40 campgrounds.

hk2001
03-04-2014, 16:31
Caroga Lake has some nice hammock sites.

Northhampton Beach has a few (only been there once)

Lewey Lake ( a bit farther north) has a LOT of hammock friendly sites, but if your willing to go as far north as Lewey Lake, consider going into the moose river plains (http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/53596.html) wild forest, they have a lot of drive in sites, primitive camping, free.

Here's a map (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33154.html) of all the Adirondack sites run by the DEC.

lilprincess
03-04-2014, 16:32
Any to the east of Herkimer? Near the Lake George, sacandaga area? Hammock friendly? We really don't go west very often. So I have no idea what it's like.

lilprincess
03-04-2014, 16:35
Thanks hk2001! That's great intel. :)

natureboy68
03-04-2014, 21:14
There's lake George battlefield CG, I haven't stayed there in years, but what I remember is that it's pretty wooded, call the CG and ask?? As far as diamonds, I found more looking on the ground than anywhere else!! The less fancy mine is better, ace of diamonds I think? The CG across the street is not too bad IIRC...have fun!! Oh, and try to set up a trip to Langs fossils, its not too much further, lots and lots of sea scorpion (eurypterids) fossils, since your going Silurian! (NYS earth science teach here!)

lilprincess
03-04-2014, 22:15
Thanks so much Natureboy! It's a gift for my 9yo future scientist/ miner. He's kinda in a league all his own. It's a full day educational program for only $23 a child. including the mine. Hard to pass up. I have a feeling I'll be on the phone this week. ;)

SemperFiGuy
03-05-2014, 19:28
Thanks so much Natureboy! It's a gift for my 9yo future scientist/ miner. He's kinda in a league all his own. It's a full day educational program for only $23 a child. including the mine. Hard to pass up. I have a feeling I'll be on the phone this week. ;)

You're a good Mom LilPrincess. Sounds like a fun trip. If Tim isn't going, we'll tie him to a log in your back yard and throw him raw meat once a day.

Have a great time.

All the best !
Gil

lilprincess
03-06-2014, 08:27
Gil, thanks. I only have them for a little while. I try to have as much fun with them as I can!
Lol I'll let Tim know. He's actually pretty talented with a steak. You'll have to get him to grill you one. ;)

Jshep420
03-07-2014, 20:03
Home if the moe.down 11&12. Nice

Suede
03-28-2014, 20:01
There's hearthstone campground about a mile north of lake George. It's big but I have not hammocked there, only t##t maybe 6 years ago. It's nice but you have to book on reserve America I think. It's on the lake so some nice views.