PDA

View Full Version : PA>501 Shelter>Mar 15th Overnighter

Black Foot
03-04-2014, 19:48
Weather permitting, Dan (Tinkr) and I are planning doing a small section hike on the AT and we'll be ending up with a overnight hang at 501 shelter on Saturday.

The 501 shelter is located north of Bethel on the AT. It is a quick 100 yard hike in and we have a great spot for camping. All are welcome.

doogie
03-04-2014, 20:47
Thanks for the PM alert on this one. It is a possibility for me, but I don't know about the snow being gone. I still have an average of 6" in my yard and I am an hour South of the AT in this area. It could make for a tricky descent into Swatara Gap.

I-Hang
03-04-2014, 21:28
Count me in for Saturday night. The hike sounds fun but I have a father daughter dance to go to Friday night.

Black Foot
03-04-2014, 21:34
Thanks for the PM alert on this one. It is a possibility for me, but I don't know about the snow being gone. I still have an average of 6" in my yard and I am an hour South of the AT in this area. It could make for a tricky descent into Swatara Gap.

I think you're right and there will still be some snow on the ground - planning on bringing the microspikes along :D

Black Foot
03-04-2014, 21:36
Count me in for Saturday night. The hike sounds fun but I have a father daughter dance to go to Friday night.

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to catching up with you!

biggcarl
03-05-2014, 09:15
Maybe, however if I can make it, I might need a loaner tarp as I just sent mine off for some mods. Weather depending on loaner.

Black Foot
03-06-2014, 12:42
Just in case someone is interested in joining the section hike, Dan and I will start at 501 on Friday afternoon and hike South to the William Penn Shelter (4 miles) to camp on Friday night. Saturday morning we'll be hiking to Swatara Gap (7 miles) and we'll shuttle back for the overnight hang at 501 shelter. Distance is being limited to accommodate that it is very probable that there will still be snow cover. Trail is mainly flat along Blue Mountain except for the descent from Blue Mt. into Swatara Gap (~ 1000' in 1 mile).

If anyone is interested in camping Friday feel free to join. you could walk in from 501 or if you can't get there till later in the day and want to cut some distance off you can park at Rte 645 (Waggoners Gap Rd) which makes it ~ 2 miles to William Penn Shelter.

yooz85
03-07-2014, 15:11
In the process of clearing my schedule, so I should be able to make both the hike and hang.

Black Foot
03-07-2014, 20:12
In the process of clearing my schedule, so I should be able to make both the hike and hang.

Sounds great!

Black Foot
03-08-2014, 11:35
Some logistics:

Getting there:

I-78 to exit 13 (Bethel). Take 501 North - go maybe 4 or 5 miles to the top of the mountain and there's a small parking area on the right side of the road.At the north end of the parking lot is a driveway, twenty yards up the driveway is a sign that says Private Drive, turn left on the blue blazed trail. Fifty yards and you will see the shelter. Turn left again and there are three camp sites on the right. We usually take the middle one but it is hard to fit everyone in there so plan on spreading out. There are a lot of dead trees around so pick spots carefully.

Misc:

We eat meat at these, it's not mandatory but as Dutch would say "you don't want to be the guy with ramen when everyone has angus prime".

I'll have a grill we can put over the fire to cook on Saturday unless we can coax Dutch to come out and play in which case he has an awesome (yes, I said awesome) titanium grill that he brings. IMHO there is nothing better than a steak with a tarp flyz brand :lol:

Because the parking lot is close, don't be afraid to bring extra gear to keep warm, it can be windy on the top of the mountain.

The 501 shelter is close for any ground dwellers that want to check out what the heck is going on with this "hammock thing"

Firewood is always needed.

A camp chair is always nice.

I'm told that Pizza can be delivered to the parking lot.

edcpreps
03-08-2014, 12:03
I'm in, good thing I texted Dennis (iHang), I thought it was this weekend lol. I would have been pretty lonely.

Black Foot
03-10-2014, 09:19
NOAA Weather Report:

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 43.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 30.
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 50.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

I-Hang
03-10-2014, 17:19
If anyone is going to this hang that has a DH Thunderbird or a DH Freebird I would like to check them out. I enjoy my WBBB but I like the option to go net less also.

Black Foot
03-10-2014, 17:28
If anyone is going to this hang that has a DH Thunderbird or a DH Freebird I would like to check them out. I enjoy my WBBB but I like the option to go net less also.

I'll bring my Thunderbird...

I-Hang
03-10-2014, 18:04
I'll bring my Thunderbird...

Awesome. Thank you Mike!

Black Foot
03-11-2014, 10:27
Looks like Dan can't get off work this weekend - he's still coming up to 501 on Saturday afternoon but won't be able to hike. If someone else wants to hike let me know as we'll need to figure out when to meet to stage the cars otherwise I'll just walk in to William Penn on Friday to camp and back out to 501 on Saturday morning and set up there.

I'll probably go the store in Pine Grove on Saturday and pick up something to share for dinner - maybe some brats to cook on the grill :D

JollyGreen
03-11-2014, 10:32
Looks like I can make this, I can stop at Dietrichs and pick up brats, let's get a head count by end of day friday.

yooz85
03-11-2014, 10:35
What time on Friday are we meeting up, I got the day off so any time is a good time.

Pretbek
03-11-2014, 10:35

I'm a Dennis in a Thunderbird and I'm trying to make the hang this Saturday. But I see Black Foot has you covered already.

Black Foot
03-11-2014, 12:15
What time on Friday are we meeting up, I got the day off so any time is a good time.

PM sent...

Black Foot
03-11-2014, 12:15
I'm a Dennis in a Thunderbird and I'm trying to make the hang this Saturday. But I see Black Foot has you covered already.

more Thunderbirds = more better :D

Black Foot
03-11-2014, 12:16
Looks like I can make this, I can stop at Dietrichs and pick up brats, let's get a head count by end of day friday.

Excellent news! Looking forward to catching up!

Black Foot
03-13-2014, 12:02
looks like the list so far for Saturday is

bigcarl (tentative)
Black Foot
doogie (tenative)
edcpreps
I-Hang
JollyGreen
Pretbek (tenative)
Tinkr
yooz85

Did I miss anyone? How about you other 501 denizens? Dutch? GLP? JerzeyBears? 2Q? You know you want to get out in the woods for some hammock time :D

Ian and I are hiking starting at 501 on Friday @ 2:00PM - if anyone wants to join pm me and we can meet you at the parking lot.

JollyGreen
03-13-2014, 12:10

bigcarl (tentative)
Black Foot
doogie (tenative)
edcpreps
I-Hang
JollyGreen
Pretbek (tenative)
Tinkr
yooz85

Did I miss anyone? How about you other 501 denizens? Dutch? GLP? JerzeyBears? 2Q? You know you want to get out in the woods for some hammock time :D

Ian and I are hiking starting at 501 on Friday @ 2:00PM - if anyone wants to join pm me and we can meet you at the parking lot.

Talked to Dutch, he's a no go this weekend.

Pretbek
03-13-2014, 12:50

bigcarl (tentative)
Black Foot
doogie (tenative)
edcpreps
I-Hang
JollyGreen
Pretbek (tenative)
Tinkr
yooz85

I will be there fo' shure, no more tentative, or hammockative.

Where are you guys setting up camp on Friday? I am considering hiking into 501 and then retrieving my car.

doogie
03-13-2014, 13:52
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I was really hoping to get to the hike, but college visits and scouts have taken precedence. Remember pics or it didn't happen. :)

yooz85
03-13-2014, 15:46
It's a shame you wont be able to make it, but your can rest assure there will be plenty of hiking pics and hopefully a new trip report as long as no one minds being in it.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I was really hoping to get to the hike, but college visits and scouts have taken precedence. Remember pics or it didn't happen. :)

JollyGreen
03-13-2014, 19:43
It's a shame you wont be able to make it, but your can rest assure there will be plenty of hiking pics and hopefully a new trip report as long as no one minds being in it.

Ummm, what happens at the 501, stays at the 501

yooz85
03-13-2014, 21:19
Ummm, what happens at the 501, stays at the 501

oh wow you have me a little scared of going now lol.:eek:

JollyGreen
03-14-2014, 17:50
How many brats should I pick up? Firewood?

Pretbek
03-14-2014, 18:17
Depends on if they are spoiled brats, annoying brats, or unthankful brats.
And there is never enough firewood.

jerzybears
03-14-2014, 19:51
Think we can make it. Will do lesson plans Sunday.

jerzybears
03-16-2014, 20:01
Thanks for the invite Black Foot. It was nice to get out of the house and away from my gradebook. Standardized testing will be the death of us all. Great weather and a beautiful moon. There was more food than was humanly possible to eat. Again, glad to see you all. :)

yooz85
03-21-2014, 16:43
Had a lot of fun last week, I finally got around to putting the little bit of footage I did take from the hike. I didnt really get hardly any video of the hang but I did put a couple of pics in at the end. Here is the link to the trip report thread. Thanks again to Blackfoot for letting me tag along, I can't wait for the next one!

Trip Report! (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?90473-501-hike-and-hang)