PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario>Algonquin>EGL Canoe Hang - Spring 2014 - Algonquin

Chard
03-06-2014, 10:49
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_3804.jpg

EGL Canoe Hang - Spring 2014 - Algonquin

It was snowing this morning. Children are still bundled in hats and scarves and the sidewalks are still slippery. Old Man Winter still has a firm hold on southern Ontario, but not for long. Not for long. A look at the calendar shows a simple truth: we're only two months away from ice-out in Algonquin, and that means canoeing season!

This year's planning questions:
1. When: Dates will depend heavily on when the ice goes out. Given the past winter, it's probably wise to plan for a mid-May launch. I'm going to propose:

May 8th to May 11th (Warning: 11th is Mother's day)
May 15th to May 18th (Victoria Day Long Weekend)
May 29th to June 1st

http://stagingcottagelife.com/files/2011/04/Iceoutdates2.jpg

2. Where: Algonquin? Temagami? Killarney? Further afield? Algonquin's nice because it's central to most, but it's certainly not our only option. Ideas?

3. How: In the past we've basecamping for many of our canoe hangs, setting up camp in one spot for the entire trip. I'd be interested in whether there's interest in doing a multi-day loop, perhaps up through Burnt Island to Big Trout. I haven't been to Lake Lavaille and would love to see it one day, but the price is a long 5km portage.

4. Menu: As usual, I'd like to try to mix in some fishing and a big group stew. BYOF? Group stews? Group breakfasts? Lets hear some suggestions.

This is my favorite hang of the year and I hope to see a lot of familar faces and maybe even some new ones.

Iguana
03-06-2014, 11:18
I am in. Unless it is decided on the 8th to 11th as I have previous engagement.

Also Note May 18th is the Victoria Day Long Weekend.

As for the destination I am not opposed to any.

A loop is fine with me. I would suggest that if we do end up doing a 5km portage or something that we do a little group equipment planning so that we do not end up bringing 20 Axes with us :)

I can smell the lakes as I type this.

Bubba
03-06-2014, 11:26
I figured this thread would be up soon after the winter hang trip report.:)
I'll be working on going.

ggreaves
03-06-2014, 11:37
I can smell the lakes as I type this.

I'm in. Any weekend. And I suggest we don't camp on any of the "smelly" lakes.

Chard
03-06-2014, 11:53
I'm in. Any weekend. And I suggest we don't camp on any of the "smelly" lakes.

Ironically, the best spring fishing I ever had was on "the Lake that must not be named" where we encountered a strong fish smell as we paddled in. I think it coincided with the spring turn-over when the water layers flip and the deep waters circulate to the top. The place literally smelled fishy.

But yeah, as long as it doesn't smell really nasty.

I'm planning on a spring, summer and fall canoeing hangs this year. Should be some good, family friendly fun. All are welcome.

ggreaves
03-06-2014, 18:39
If we are doing lots of portaging, I'm going to work to lighten my load enough to hopefully single carry.

keg
03-06-2014, 22:54
I'd be up for a loop. Could do 3, maybe 4 days. If we do the 24 weekend though, I'd suggest somewhere less popular than Algonquin or Killarney.

I'm also planning to take some of my inner-city students backpacking some time in May so the sooner we guestimate a date, the better for me.

And when have we ever brought 20 axes? 6 axes, 11 saws, and a few dozen knives sounds typical though.

Chard
03-06-2014, 23:12
And when have we ever brought 20 axes? 6 axes, 11 saws, and a few dozen knives sounds typical though.

Ya, but that was just you!

80083r
03-07-2014, 09:11
A 5km portage would count me out (probably) due to "considerations" but otherwise, I am in.

I have the 23rd of May booked off - so the only weekend you didn't mention is the best for me. But I can do a two day any time - or I can book a day off if I have at least 2 weeks warning.

Chard
03-07-2014, 09:21
A 5km portage would count me out (probably) due to "considerations" but otherwise, I am in.

I have the 23rd of May booked off - so the only weekend you didn't mention is the best for me. But I can do a two day any time - or I can book a day off if I have at least 2 weeks warning.

I was just throwing out the idea of Lavialle and its long portage, but I didn't really think it was the right fit for an EGL group. Big Trout would be nice though.

Also, May 24 weekend won't work for me due to a prior engagement.

The Old Boot
03-07-2014, 09:26
I'm going to be watching this thread for when y'all make up your minds...:laugh:

Long portages and moving every day just isn't my style so it will depend on when and how the trip works out.

Kasuko
03-07-2014, 10:09
Got my eye on this thread. Definitely feeling the winter time itch!

Chard
03-07-2014, 10:13
P.S. Does anyone recognize where the lead photo was taken. Winner gets a free cup of campfire coffee.

ggreaves
03-07-2014, 10:48
P.S. Does anyone recognize where the lead photo was taken. Winner gets a free cup of campfire coffee.

Algonquin Park

Chard
03-07-2014, 10:54
Algonquin Park

Correct, but along the same vein as the answer "Earth". :shades: I should've been more specific. If we were playing darts, you would have hit the wall. :lol:

You're still welcome to a cup of coffee though.

80083r
03-07-2014, 12:52

Kiosk lake? around the second point across from the access point?

Chard
03-07-2014, 13:03
Kiosk lake? around the second point across from the access point?

Nope.

A hint: EGL canoes have plied those waters in the past.

BrianWillan
03-07-2014, 16:39
Nope.

A hint: EGL canoes have plied those waters in the past.

Well that narrows it down. ;) LOL EGL canoe hangs have crossed many lakes in Algonquin Park.

Cheers

Brian

Lofty
03-08-2014, 09:42
Liam and I are in for May 15-18 - :D
I have a canoe - but it's HEAVY. So I will have to double carry on portages

Mother's Day weekend is definitely out for me :(
May 29-June 1 - I'm already working Saturday :(

Only thought - perhaps 2 EGL groups on different weekends doing the same route ?.
Could be a way for conflicting schedules to make a trip -

76 highboy
03-08-2014, 17:16
Is it ragged lake?

Chard
03-08-2014, 17:44
Is it ragged lake? Nope! :laugh:

keg
03-08-2014, 21:08
Is it ragged lake?

My guess would be one of the bigger lakes south of 60 too. Louisa?

Chard
03-08-2014, 22:05
My guess would be one of the bigger lakes south of 60 too. Louisa?
Afraid not..:p

Jayson
03-09-2014, 03:45
We are in for a loop trip. Any weekend in May works as long as we have a few weeks headsup.

I believe the picture is on Tom Thompson Lake.

Chard
03-10-2014, 07:56
We are in for a loop trip. Any weekend in May works as long as we have a few weeks headsup.

I believe the picture is on Tom Thompson Lake.

Jayson, do you take your coffee with cream and sugar?

That photo comes from the west side of Tom Thomson, at the campsite by mouth of the bay to the In Lake portage. Stopped there many a time over the years on my way up to McIntosh.

Jayson
03-10-2014, 23:31
No sir. I like my coffee black and strong!

Lofty
03-11-2014, 18:42
Chard
Can we make the weekend of May 15-18 (Victoria Day ) the official weekend for the hang :)

Chard
03-11-2014, 19:01
Chard
Can we make the weekend of May 15-18 (Victoria Day ) the official weekend for the hang :)

No objections. I can't of a better way to celebrate the Old Lady's birthday than with a paddle in the Park.

EGL Spring 2014 - May 16-19

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/sites/www.thediamondjubilee.org/files/styles/lightbox/public/Queen-Victoria-Official-DJ-Portrait.jpg

Lofty
03-11-2014, 20:04
Chard -just looking
That's Thursday (15) to Sunday (18)
Don't we want Friday (16) to Monday (19) ?

Either way Liam and I will be there that weekend !

80083r
03-12-2014, 09:43
I believe that I can confirm 2 hangers for that weekend - Toots and myself.

shawnh
03-12-2014, 11:18
The other dates were good for me but unfortunately I can't make the long weekend date. I still wanted to pop in on the thread and say hi to everyone -- I'm around, just lurking due to massive amounts of work and a total lack of hanging (decent amount of camping, just on the ground).

Shawn

Chard
03-12-2014, 11:20
Hey Shawn! Long time no see! We've got to get you out to a hang this year. Up for a summer paddle?

shawnh
03-12-2014, 11:22
Absolutely! I failed to actually post on the last few group hang threads, but behind the scenes I was trying fairly hard to get some time free to make it happen. No luck though. This year should be better!

Singingcrowsings
03-12-2014, 11:37
How does this work exactly? Do I need to have a canoe, or is there sharing involved? Also, can one take a bus to a meeting point?

Chard
03-12-2014, 12:57
How does this work exactly? Do I need to have a canoe, or is there sharing involved? Also, can one take a bus to a meeting point?

Hi Singingcrowsings,

Many of EGL Canoe Hangers have their own canoes. While quite a few of us solo or have preferred partners already, there are usually a couple of bow spots available. Alternatively, many have taken advantage of the several outfitters in and around the Park to rent a canoe, paddles and life jackets, either alone or splitting the cost with another.

Because our spring trips usually cross large, ice-cold lakes, I've been insisting that the stern paddler in each canoe is at least moderately experienced. Flipping a canoe in the middle of a stormy lake in the spring is something we've been trying to avoid. Honestly, it's far better to underestimate your abilities and try to go with a more experienced paddler than overestimate your abilities and let mother nature call your bluff.

As far as transportation in concerned, that's a little more complicated. If renting a car is not an option, then you're left with carpooling, something that's worked pretty well for us over the years. There’s a possibility of hangers coming in from the Ottawa area, so you might be able to work something out with them (bus/train to/from Ottawa). The same might also be possible for the many of us in Southern Ontario (bus/train to/from Toronto). I know of one bus-line out of Toronto that will drop you off in Algonquin, but I don't know when they run and it's entirely possible that we won't start our trip from the Hwy 60 corridor.

If you're interested, keep following the thread and we'll see what we can do to get you out in our Piney Woods.

Cheers,

Singingcrowsings
03-12-2014, 13:15
Thanks for all the info Chard! I do have some canoe experience from years ago, but mostly kayaked on the Mediterranean, so I don't know if that says anything.

I've subscribed to the thread. I'm sure if I really want to go, I can find my way, even if I have to leave a few days early and hike/hitchhike a bit. Unfortunately renting a car is not an option at this time.

keg
03-13-2014, 15:13
Long weekend sounds fine for me. Are people thinking a Friday start or Saturday?

Jiblets
03-13-2014, 23:14
Looks like I'll miss this trip. I'm already booked that long weekend. I'm free the other weekends.

quiet
03-16-2014, 12:19
I'm only available May 29 - June 1.

Have fun, I'm green with envy. On that note, Happy St. Patrick's Day!! mmm... green beer...

q

Alpine Dad
03-18-2014, 06:56
I really want to take part in one of these EGL hangs but it won't happen this trip. I have already made plans to car camp that same weekend with the family in Achray Campground.

Enjoy yourselves. Cheers,

Chris

Chard
03-18-2014, 13:24
Hey guys, I know I set the date for the May 16th - 19th a little while back, but there seem to be a lot of conflicts. I wanted to throw out the idea of possibly moving the hang out to the end of the month, perhaps the May 29th to June 1st weekend. It's a bit late for ice-out lakers and it'll be in the middle of blackfly season, but that's fine with me.

Iguana
03-18-2014, 14:06
Fine with me.
Is there a better way to keep track of this?

ggreaves
03-18-2014, 14:10
It sounds good to me as I have a conflict

80083r
03-18-2014, 14:28
Less good for me, but still doable - it will only be a one night hang for me and Toots - I have a long weekend the previous week.

Chard
03-18-2014, 14:30
Fine with me.
Is there a better way to keep track of this?

Option 1: May 8th to May 11th (Warning: 11th is Mother's day)
Option 2: May 16th to May 19th (Victoria Day Long Weekend)
Option 3: May 29th to June 1st

I'd say that everyone who's interested simply list the weekends they're available and we'll make a tally of that. We could use a poll, but non-participants could skew the results. Hopefully we can find a weekend where everyone can come out.

80083r
03-18-2014, 14:32
Maybe we could start an EGL google calendar?

Iguana
03-18-2014, 15:37
1:no
2:yes
3:yes

ggreaves
03-18-2014, 16:48
1 yes
2 no
3 yes

keg
03-18-2014, 21:47
1 is possible but I need to know soon.
2 yes
3 yes

Lofty
03-19-2014, 07:01
Lofty & Liam

1 - no

2 - yes

3 - no

What about 2 hangs?
We could book and plan a route And who's available to go can meet up on the weekend they are available.

quiet
03-22-2014, 11:50
I just voted for May 29th.

q

ggreaves
03-22-2014, 14:19
Someone voted 3 times

Chard
03-23-2014, 11:57
Someone voted 3 times

No probs. It's about preference and availability as well.

keg
03-23-2014, 12:46
Someone voted 3 times

That was me. I'm good with 3 weekends and the poll let me.

Iguana
03-23-2014, 20:11
Ummmm am I missing something here.... What poll?

ggreaves
03-23-2014, 21:05
Good point. It won't show on tapatalk if that's what you're using. Everyone have a look near the top of the page in a browser.

Iguana
03-24-2014, 12:30
Good point. It won't show on tapatalk if that's what you're using. Everyone have a look near the top of the page in a browser.

Thanks for the tip!
I just submitted mine.

Lofty
03-25-2014, 09:18
Hey Chard - Unvote me for May 16-19 - I won't be able to make the canoe trip :(

--------

I am now going with the family to George lake in Killarney :D
My wife and daughter want to camp - but the only way they go is car camp with a giagantic tent.

Enjoy the canoe trip guys !

Jiblets
03-25-2014, 13:34
Going to Killbear P.P. for May 16th weekend, so my vote went for May 29th.

G

Chard
03-27-2014, 10:23
Hi guys. I've been keeping an eye on the poll and I think we should move the date to May 29th to June 1st. I think the 29th will work out better not only because we might get a few more people out on the water, but because with this especially long winter we're having, we're pretty well guaranteed to have open water. The last few years it's been really touch and go as to whether we need to bring canoes or skates. Hopefully everyone will be able to adjust their schedules accordingly.

I'd like to suggest a four day loop, but plan to spend Friday and Saturday nights in the within reasonable range of an access point to give late arrivals a chance to meet up with us. Either way, pack light.

As far as food goes, if we're up for a group pot goes, then I wouldn't mind a New England clam chowder on the first night followed by a big pot of homemade/dehydrated mild chili with optional hot sauce for the second night. Either that or we try one of BabelFish's cool recipes.

Comments? Concerns? Idle banter?

Cheers,

80083r
03-27-2014, 10:28
In for Saturday & Sunday (optional Friday night if close enough/nice enough) as long as it's not a four day paddle to catch up :)

Iguana
03-27-2014, 10:35
I love the sound of a "Four Day Loop"! Reminds my partying days many moons ago.

I'm in.

keg
03-28-2014, 13:43
I should be good for Friday to Sunday.

Any thoughts on the route?

ggreaves
03-28-2014, 14:25
I'm in too. Really looking forward to it.

Singingcrowsings
03-31-2014, 23:28
I just checked in again, and most of you seem to be soloists anyway, but I didn't know about the change and booked myself for that weekend.

Bonne voyage everyone!!! Happy Hangin'! :)

Chard
04-01-2014, 14:04
I just checked in again, and most of you seem to be soloists anyway, but I didn't know about the change and booked myself for that weekend.

Bonne voyage everyone!!! Happy Hangin'! :)

Sorry to hear about that Singingcrowsings. It would have been nice to meet up with a fellow Montreal'r. Hopefully next time.

Singingcrowsings
04-01-2014, 20:42
Sorry to hear about that Singingcrowsings. It would have been nice to meet up with a fellow Montreal'r. Hopefully next time.

Definitely. I'll keep my eye out for future opportunities. :)

ggreaves
04-09-2014, 15:55
Just bumping because it's been a quiet thread lately. Any thoughts on a good 4 day route so I can stare at my park map?

The Old Boot
04-09-2014, 16:00
Just bumping because it's been a quiet thread lately. Any thoughts on a good 4 day route so I can stare at my park map?

I'm waiting to hear the route planned as well - before I toss my gear in it's pack and my name on the list.

Chard
04-10-2014, 10:42
Hey guys,

I've been around, working and parenting, all the while poring over the Algonquin map, looking for a nice four day trip that suits our requirements: three nights: travelling camp Thursday night and stationary camp Friday and Saturday nights. That way we get the best of both worlds.. A vigorous bit of trip'n followed by a bit of base camping to recuperate. I'm in for three different camps as well, but I'd like to hear your feedback. Any other suggestions would be gladly taken.

I've got a couple of ideas that vary widely in terms of lengths of paddling and portaging. I set aside a Canoe>Brent run because that would entail a major shuttle and, more importantly, would exclude some people.

Thursday - early start and a full day of tripping - late camp. Friday - early start for a paddle to next camp arrive midday to rendevous with those coming in for the weekend - Friday/Saturday site should be roughly the same distance of the Rock-Pen paddle.

1. Magnetewan > Daisy > Misty > Camp > Little Misty > Queer > Little Trout > Camp/Camp > Butt > Hambone > Magnetewan > Out
2. Canoe > Joe > Burnt Island > Camp > Littledoe > Tom Thomson > Camp/Camp > Tepee > Joe > Canoe > Out
3. Rock > Louisa > North Grace > Camp > McGarvey > Little Coon > Big Porcupine > Camp/Camp > Ragged > Smoke > Out with Shuttle
4. Cache > Head > Harness > Lawrence > Louisa > Camp > Rock > Pen > Camp/Camp > Rock > Out with Shuttle
5. Cache > Head > Harness > Bonnechere > Camp > Big Porcupine > Ragged > Camp/Camp > Smoke > Little Island > Cache > Out
6. Cache > Head > Harness > Bonnechere > Camp > Big Porcupine > Ragged > Camp/Camp > Smoke > Out with Shuttle
7. Rock > Louisa > Frank > Harry > Camp > Welcome > Pen > Camp/Camp > Rock > Out
8. North Tea > Craig > Camp > North Tea > Camp/Camp > Out
9. Tim > Rosebary > Camp > Little Trout > Camp/Camp > Magnetewan > Out with Shuttle

http://www.parkreports.com/parksblog/wp-content/photos/park_landscape_first_place_Algonquin_1_2.jpg

ggreaves
04-10-2014, 19:37
I'll leave it to those who have paddled the lakes and walked the portage trails to narrow down the route. I'm in wherever we go.

ggreaves
04-10-2014, 19:47
A little off-topic but I know several of you guys have the lightweight chairs (Helinox - A-Lite). Rei now has one that is store branded, weighs 1lb 12oz and costs $69 with free shipping to the US. And right now they have 20% off any full price item till April 15th so it's around $55 usd, about half the price of a Helinox. Here it is....

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

If anyone wants one, buy it online and I'll give you the address of my Kinek shipping point at the border. I'm only a few minutes away and they charge $5 per package to handle. I can bring along any people buy with me to the hang. PM if you're interested.

quiet
04-10-2014, 19:57
I'm in for any route, although I'm doing a 4 day through Canoe and the Joes the weekend before, so would prefer not going that path again.

Something has come up at work for Thursday, so I'll be coming in the dark late Thursday night. Can you guys yell "Whoo buddy!" every 5 minutes so I know where you are? :)

q

keg
04-10-2014, 22:28
The magnetawan route strikes me as a good choice though I've heard the road in can be messy in the spring.

I'd be good with whatever though.

80083r
04-11-2014, 11:59
http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

Excellent find - just a caveat for those of us who are... supersized, this one has a weight limit of 250lbs - the Helinox is 325lbs or so.

80083r
04-16-2014, 12:36
The suspense is killing me! :)

Chard
04-16-2014, 16:28
The suspense is killing me! :)

Patience young Padawan. The snow can only melt one drop at a time.

80083r
04-17-2014, 07:15
Well... the creek is rising here pretty hard. State of emergency, and people just up the road are being evacuated. I'm thankful I live on the eighth floor.

Chard
04-17-2014, 08:24
Well... the creek is rising here pretty hard. State of emergency, and people just up the road are being evacuated. I'm thankful I live on the eighth floor.

Keep safe. It's probably hard to resist to throw your canoe off the balcony and do some whitewater, but try your best. Any pictures?

80083r
04-17-2014, 09:40
http://www.intelligencer.ca/2014/04/16/pictures-tweed-flooding
image 2-7 are down the street from my house, and a couple of days old- water is a foot or so higher now

edit: also - this picture was really hard to find, but on the front page yesterday. Yes I was tempted to think about throwing the canoe in, but some of the standing waves are about 4 feet high now, and I'm not a white water expert :)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1778348!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

Jayson
04-17-2014, 10:49
Stay safe man!!

Chard
04-17-2014, 11:17
Wow! Let's hope everyone makes it through this spring safely. See you in a little over a month.

To All:
Unless there are any objections, let's go with Route 1. Magnetewan > Daisy > Misty > Camp > Little Misty > Queer > Little Trout > Camp/Camp > Butt > Hambone > Magnetewan > Out. With all of the little hops, make sure you pack light and tight. It's all of the bits and pieces in the canoe that make portaging such a chore. Let's plan to meet up at the Huntsville Tim's on Hwy 11 early on the morning of the 29th.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/egl-spring2014.jpg

As always, can I get a role-call of everyone coming so we can settle paddling partners (if required). Mark down name, flatwater skill (novice/rookie/veteran), dates, canoeing preference (eg. solo, looking for partner in stern/bow)

Spring 2014
Chard - Veteran - 29/1 - Solo*

* - Able to double in a pinch

keg
04-17-2014, 15:57
Spring 2014
Keg - Veteran enough - solo (could partner up - will be renting anyways) Probably Fri-Sun

* - Able to double in a pinch

Iguana
04-18-2014, 08:43
Spring 2014

Keg - Veteran enough - solo (could partner up - will be renting anyways) Probably Fri-Sun
Iguana/+1? - Veteran - 29/1 - Solo (Possibly bringing one of my buddies. If he is up for it.)

Chard
04-18-2014, 09:24
Nice work on the updating list.. Very nice. Can everyone follow suit?

ggreaves
04-18-2014, 20:29
Spring 2014

Iguana/+1? - Veteran - 29/1 - Solo (Possibly bringing one of my buddies. If he is up for it.)
ggreaves - Rookie - 29/1 - looking for a partner

... and I need to write something or I won't have 10 characters

80083r
04-21-2014, 08:39
Just to clarify - we meet up for the weekend (those of us who are short tripping) on little trout lake? That would be in at access three, across 3 inches of Magnetawan-> short portage -> Hambone -> short muddy portage -> Butt/Eagle/Ralph Bice -> longer, easy portage -> little trout

I've never been that way, but my wife is a little worried about the longish paddle across Butt/Eagle/Ralph Bice. Have I got that right? i think we can do it.

Chard
04-21-2014, 09:26
Just to clarify - we meet up for the weekend (those of us who are short tripping) on little trout lake? That would be in at access three, across 3 inches of Magnetawan-> short portage -> Hambone -> short muddy portage -> Butt/Eagle/Ralph Bice -> longer, easy portage -> little trout

I've never been that way, but my wife is a little worried about the longish paddle across Butt/Eagle/Ralph Bice. Have I got that right? i think we can do it.

You've got it right; Firday and Saturday nights on Little Trout Lake. The first two lakes are very short. It's true that the Ralph Bice (Butt) is a long stretch, but I don't think it's much longer then the Rock Lake to Pen stretch of last year.

That being said, if you guys still aren't feeling completely comfortable, I don't see why we can't shift camp to Ralph Bice. It is a beautiful lake if not a little more crowded. Just let me know.

keg
04-23-2014, 18:17
Random fyi

24 oz Sawyer permethrin spray on amazon - $12.24 US and ships to Canada. Shipping was $16 no matter how many I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANQVYU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZK4MLQ6RWQLG

I'd prefer Little Trout if I'm paddling in Fri. A bit of a work out but the winds should help on the way there.

Chard
04-29-2014, 08:21
One Month Out!!!!

The sweet countdown has begun. Based on some info on a related thread, the ice is still in on Tea Lake, but just a little south of there, it's an entirely different story! I've been keeping an eye on Mountain Trout House Marina in Dorset for years now and the ice is out! Everyone planning an early trip to Algonquin can start breathing a little easier. This photo can be real time (http://www.mthmarina.com/webcam_pics/mthwebcam.jpg), but at the time of posting (9am Apr 29), you can still see the far half of the bay covered in dark ice.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/mthwebcam_693171.jpg

So far it looks like there might about half a dozen of us heading in, some for three nights, some for two. Since we're going in through Magnetewan Lake on the west side of the Park, why don't we just plan to meet up at the Huntsville Tim's on Hwy 11 at 7am and/or Kearney at 8am.

As usual, I'll be bringing a group tarp, axe and saw and if we want to go with group dinners, I can bring my pot as well.

keg
04-29-2014, 19:31
On the flip side, the park is not giving out back country permits until May 9th because of the ice conditions.
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2014/spring_2014_update.php

Luckily the school backpacking trip I'm leading is planned for the 9th.

80083r
05-05-2014, 11:03
submitted a vacation request for Friday May 30. We'll see how it works out. Either way, I think we're in - even if just for a paddle in and paddle out!

Chard
05-05-2014, 13:36
submitted a vacation request for Friday May 30. We'll see how it works out. Either way, I think we're in - even if just for a paddle in and paddle out!

Let's keep our fingers crossed. It'd be nice to see you guys, even if it's just "for a paddle in and a paddle out".

76 highboy
05-05-2014, 22:47
Unfortunately I cant make it to the spring hang.:( Booked a lot of time off to go to Nova Scoatia this summer:)
On the flip side I have lots of vacation time for sept/oct.:laugh:
For my spring "fix" I'm thinking of taking my kayak to norway lake in Puzzle lake pp on the may 24 weekend.
Spring pikn instead of spring troutn. something different.
Enjoy your hang and say hello to my little blackfly friends

Chard
05-06-2014, 11:44
Unfortunately I cant make it to the spring hang.:( Booked a lot of time off to go to Nova Scoatia this summer:)
On the flip side I have lots of vacation time for sept/oct.:laugh:
For my spring "fix" I'm thinking of taking my kayak to norway lake in Puzzle lake pp on the may 24 weekend.
Spring pikn instead of spring troutn. something different.
Enjoy your hang and say hello to my little blackfly friends

That's too bad Highboy :( but Nova Scotia's a great time.

I just checked out a Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKJlRdrrq0) on Puzzle Lake PP and it looks very nice. Go get some pike, share some pictures and we'll see you at the next hang!

ggreaves
05-06-2014, 19:25
That's too bad, Ted. I really enjoyed our little winter adventure up in KHPP back in March. Maybe we'll catch up again over the summer.

keg
05-07-2014, 21:54
It's official. As of May 2, ice is off the lakes we are going to. Still some of the eastern lakes are un-navigable but we're good to go.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2014/spring_2014_update.php

80083r
05-08-2014, 11:56
Spring 2014
80083r +1 (toots) - Rookie but comfy on anything not whitewater

Time off approved! Time to start polishing paddles. Did I mention we just bought a "new to us" canoe?

Chard
05-14-2014, 12:50
EGL Spring 2014

Hey gang, with just over two weeks to go, we should probably start getting the details ironed out.

It looks like we have 3-4 of us going in on Thursday and another 3 meeting up with us on Friday. That leaves 2 or 3 spots on the permit for Fri/Sat nights for anyone who still wants to come along. Of course any last minute additions can always get their own permit as required, especially if some of those still unconfirmed chaps decide to come along. I'll PM the reservation/contact details to everyone on the roster. We should also try to figure out paddling partners.

As for group meals (if any) I'll hit my trail cookbooks and make some suggestions. Everyone's encouraged to throw out ideas. The only thing is that given the number of portages the Thursday group is going to do getting down to Misty and then back up to Little Trout, I'd like to minimize the bulk/weight of our ingredients.

Hopefully this wonderful weather holds out.

80083r
05-14-2014, 20:44
spicy fish stew with fresh trout?

quiet
05-15-2014, 16:49
I'm in for sure, but still trying to get Thursday off.

quiet - veteran enough - 30/1 - solo

Iguana
05-16-2014, 13:07
My +1 just dropped out.

ggreaves
05-20-2014, 07:32
I'm afraid I've got to bow out. We have a production software install on the Saturday night at work. It's a significant change and I need to be available to support it.

Chard
05-20-2014, 13:05
I'm in for sure, but still trying to get Thursday off.
Good news! Fingers crossed.

My +1 just dropped out.
Bad news! Sorry about your +1, but hopefully you're still able to make it.

I'm afraid I've got to bow out. We have a production software install on the Saturday night at work. It's a significant change and I need to be available to support it.
Bad news Ggreaves! I've gone through a couple of off-hour installs here at the office, and there's not much you can do. Hopefully we'll get together some time during the summer.

Bubba
05-21-2014, 08:57
Good news! It's looking more and more like I can go. I'll likely be coming in on Friday pairing up with keg. If he can't get Thursday off quiet, keg and I will be heading in together.

Chard
05-21-2014, 09:02
Good news! It's looking more and more like I can go. I'll likely be coming in on Friday pairing up with keg. If he can't get Thursday off quiet, keg and I will be heading in together.

Good news? That's great news! See you out there!

Iguana
05-21-2014, 12:58
Oh Yeah. I am still good to go!

80083r
05-21-2014, 13:23
Test hang this weekend at Billy Lake for me. Going in Friday with a whole bunch of new Dutch bling. Splake, here I come.

Chard
05-21-2014, 13:37
Nice. Keep the open side of the canoe up and take lots of pictures of that bling! Scenery shots are nice too!:shades:

80083r
05-21-2014, 14:04
Open side up? THAT'S what I've been doing wrong :) It's a new (to us) canoe as well - we've done very well this year. Focused on camping this season for sure. See you all next week (at the latest).

Bubba
05-26-2014, 13:30
Weather is looking good for the weekend:

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-29_metric_e.html

Chard
05-26-2014, 18:05
Weather is looking good for the weekend:

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-29_metric_e.html

What's the verdict Bubba? You able to come out for a paddle?

Bubba
05-26-2014, 19:08
What's the verdict Bubba? You able to come out for a paddle?

Oh yeah, I'ma comin!

80083r
05-27-2014, 07:18
Any decisions on shared meal? Site to look for ya'll at on Friday afternoon?

We get our passes at the access point right there, or at the east gate?

Jiblets
05-27-2014, 09:45
Assuming i can shake the head cold by then, I'm in for Thurs-Sunday. Soloing. I'll be at Algonquin outfitters - Oxtongue at 8:45 (they open at 9:00).

Chenvre
05-27-2014, 11:22
*Lifts head above cubicle wall*

Hey all! Sorry for not posting sooner. This year has been non-stop for me at work. New office opening in Calgary, taking on new work, people quitting, getting loaded up with their work. 80 hour work weeks are almost over for me!

I have software releases over this weekend, so unless a miracle happens, I won't be making this trip.

Quite the bummer, too, as I just bought my first canoe last night! (overtime pay has its benefits). Swift Algonquin 15'. Beautiful boat!

I was hoping to hit the water with you guys but I'm afraid the west side of the park for multiple nights might not be feasible.

Either way, looks like a great turnout. If I don't see you guys, I hope you have a great time, and I'll be ready for the next trip.

Make sure everyone takes and posts lots of pics so those of us that cannot make it can live vicariously through them.

*whips cracking* better get back to work!!

Chard
05-27-2014, 21:43
Thursday to Sunday
Chard - 29/1 - Solo
Iguana - 29/1 - Solo
Jiblets - 29/1 - Solo

Friday to Sunday
Keg - 30/1 - Partnering up with Bubba
Bubba - 30/1 - Partnering up with Keg
80083r/toots - 30/1 - Tandem
quiet - 30/1 - solo

Looks like a very nice weekend coming up; the weather is definitely promising sunburns for a change!

For those of you coming in Friday, it's very likely that the Thursday crew will get to Little Trout first, so I'll make a point of hanging my Black/Orange Hammock Forums flags by our site. We're going to aim to camp on the western end of the isnald with two campsites just in from the portage, that or on the north shore just above the islands. Paddling up around the west side of the islands might be best. You might also want to consider paddling in a as a group, but I'll leave that up to you guys. Pick up your permits at Kearney.

Meals... The chowder we had a couple of years ago was a hit, so let's do that again for Saturday night; folks will likely want to grill Friday night. Can I ask that everyone partaking bring as many potatoes as they want to eat plus one and that way we even out the load over the portages. I'll take care of the rest of the ingredients (onions, clams, etc..), but someone on Friday crew bring a shield of crusty bread? Also, I'll have the pot up there, so if anyone feels inspired to try anything Friday night, just speak up!

Blackflies are out, so bring repellent.

Countdown time! I can hardly wait!!!!

ggreaves
05-28-2014, 06:40
Have a great trip, guys!! Take lots of pictures.

80083r
05-28-2014, 07:20
Bad news everyone!

Cindy hurt her knee on our test run last week - so no long paddles for her (and portages are all me carrying!) We're still coming up, but we're going to stop either on Hambone or Ralph Bice. We'll have to see how far we can get.

We have a bright white canoe, so if you want to stop by for a visit, we'd love to see you, and we'll probably meet up on the way out.

There's no way we can make the full trip out from little trout on Sunday, so we'll have to stop short on the way in.

Happy paddling!

Chard
05-28-2014, 11:48
Bad news everyone!

Cindy hurt her knee on our test run last week - so no long paddles for her (and portages are all me carrying!) We're still coming up, but we're going to stop either on Hambone or Ralph Bice. We'll have to see how far we can get.

We have a bright white canoe, so if you want to stop by for a visit, we'd love to see you, and we'll probably meet up on the way out.

There's no way we can make the full trip out from little trout on Sunday, so we'll have to stop short on the way in.

Happy paddling!

That's really too bad. I hope Cindy gets better soon. It's a shame that we'll be in the Park only a lake or two away, but Ralph Bice is a fairly large lake, so unless you're on the south shore, it's not likely we'll be able to spot you. Look for 4 solo canoes and a tandem and wave us over! You'll also need a new permit, but I'm sure you know that already.

Good luck paddling and I hope to see you up there.

RkyMtnMan
05-28-2014, 13:05
<-- envious.

Am I allowed to be jealous, even though I'm a newcomer to HF.net? I did a lot of canoe camping in Algonquin in the late 1970s and early 80s. Usually started from Brent up on Cedar Lake. I just scored a solo boat last week after having been canoe-less for the better part of twenty years.

I have tons of really nice photos around here somewhere, but they're all 35mm transparencies -- from the era when digital photography (or the Internet, or even personal computers, for that matter) were not yet even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

Have fun, be safe, eat well.

Perhaps I can meet some of y'all another time.

RkyMtnMan
05-28-2014, 13:08
P.S. -- "EGL" = Eastern Great Lakes? Just guessing. I was born and raised in Michigan. Port Sanillac, on the Lake Huron shore.

80083r
05-28-2014, 13:17
P.S. -- "EGL" = Eastern Great Lakes? Just guessing. I was born and raised in Michigan. Port Sanillac, on the Lake Huron shore.

You are correct on the EGL! Give the man a cookie! :) you're allowed to be jealous - and you're allowed to come along too.

Chard - we'll probably either be just before or just after the portage from Magnetawan to Eagle/Butt/Ralph Bice. I'll see if we can hang out a flag of some kind. And we'll keep an eye out for all y'all!

Chenvre
05-28-2014, 13:27

Born in Saginaw, raised in Lansing!

Love the Great Lakes!

RkyMtnMan
05-28-2014, 13:47
Born in Saginaw, raised in Lansing!

Love the Great Lakes!

Educated in East Lansing (among other places), but left Michigan shortly thereafter and lived most of my adult life in Colorado -- hence the moniker.

At present I split my time between Connecticut (mostly in winter) and the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia (mostly in summer). Still have family in both Michigan and Colorado, though, so I get around.

BrianWillan
05-28-2014, 17:40
Have a great trip, guys!! Take lots of pictures.

Indeed, have a great trip guys. I have heard the black flies are out in force this season, so take care to have proper bug protection.

Cheers

Brian

Jiblets
05-28-2014, 18:19
Hey guys. I'm going to have to delay my departure to Friday. l8r

Chard
05-28-2014, 19:46
Hey guys. I'm going to have to delay my departure to Friday. l8r

Trip update... Thursday crew's now heading in Friday morning. Jiblets and I are going to head up to Huntsville to pick up our canoes Friday morning when they open (tbd). If we all want to meet up at the Kearney ranger station, that'd be cool. Otherwise we can make our way in as we get there.

More to come.

keg
05-28-2014, 20:45
Paddling with company is fine with me.

I've schedule a canoe pick-up at Huntsville AO which opens at 10. Might be carpooling with Bubba and/or Quiet. Details to follow.

80083r
05-29-2014, 10:58
We'll be coming in Friday morning as well - are you planning on altering the route? or just doing the whole thing in one less day?

Perhaps we can meet up too and start the adventure together - although you'll all out-distance us pretty quickly.

Chard
05-29-2014, 18:34
Hey guys,

Looks like quite a few of us are renting canoes from Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville which opens at 10am. If we want, we can meet up at a nice little restaurant "The Family Place" just down the mainstreet across the bridge for breakfast ahead of time.

Last time I checked, the weather forecast looked good.

Let's go feed some blackflies!

Iguana
05-29-2014, 20:21
I'll see you there at 10.

80083r
06-02-2014, 08:07
Sorry we missed this one, guys - we took a much shorter trip to crotch lake, and even that was a strain on Toot's knee.

Have you ever had an EGL hang at crotch lake? There's a giant beach with multiple sites that might be interesting for a short paddle fall hang...

RkyMtnMan
06-03-2014, 19:04
I was sorta hoping to see some pics from this outing . . .

Chard
06-04-2014, 10:30
Everyone's back safely from another great hang. Trip Report can be found here. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?94264-EGL-Canoe-Hang-Spring-2014-Feed-the-Flies!!!&p=1269095#post1269095)