PDA

View Full Version : Comfy car hang near Payson

Gnome77
03-07-2014, 12:43
Hello Arizona, Going car camp hang 3/14-3/16 on Control road east of Pine near Payson,Az all are welcome

clean
03-07-2014, 23:34
Argh. BSA campout near Tucson that weekend. Have fun!

clean
03-07-2014, 23:34
Take pics! I'd be interested in seeing the site.

MuseJr
03-08-2014, 17:44
I was going to be there next week, but the trip go pushed out. First week of April I will be in the area though. Looking for fish, relaxation and day hikes. Some local knowledge would be helpful...
:-)

heyyou
03-09-2014, 11:51
@Muse Jr. The trout are in small streams named East Verde River, Tonto Creek has a hatchery on it, and Canyon Creek. In December and January, Payson AZ usually gets almost 6" of precipitation, this year, zilch, a new record for drought. If you can find the holes, you may do well, otherwise very low water conditions.

East of Payson, on state Hwy 260, are the Rim Lakes at 7000' elevation. Hike in to them if the road is closed, especially Willow Springs Lake. They may have better fishing, but the paved roads to them are not a secret to several million people living a couple of hours away. The road to Woods Canyon Lake has some nice big vistas from the pullouts. Do come see the green forest before it burns later this summer.

heyyou
03-09-2014, 12:17
@Gnome I will try to drop by because I need to learn more about hanging, but a higher priority is backpacking to my trail work on the Arizona Trail in the Mazatzal Mtns.

On almost every Saturday, just a few miles up the highway from your camp area, between Pine and Strawberry, from 9:00 to 1:00, some local volunteers are building a new single track trail. Go to www.fireontherim.com/trail-work for more info if you like volunteer trail work.

MuseJr
03-09-2014, 21:32
@heyyou - Thanks for the info. I will check those out while I'm there.