PDA

View Full Version : Another Fabric Question

dukhntn
03-08-2014, 14:41
New to the hammock world and currently have a SMR Solo. Thinking about getting a longer hammock and am interested in the Roaming Gnome. I'm more interested in comfort than weight. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175lbs. Probably get out to hang overnight roughly 20 times a year, and I'm not rough on my equipment. Looking at single layer.

1. Would an 11ft hammock serve someone my size better than a 10ft hammock, or would there be much of a difference?

2. Is there a difference in feel between lighter and heavier fabrics made of the same material (1.0 ripstop vs. 1.8 ripstop)

3. Is the taffeta noticeably "softer" than the ripstop?

4. Is the polyester taffeta (black) noticeably different in feel and overnight stretch than the nylon taffeta (night grid)?

5. Does anyone have an extra $175 that they would like to donate?

I know feel can be a subjective thing, just looking for a general idea of what has worked well for others.

Slowwalker
03-16-2014, 21:44
check out my last post under the dream hammocks forum and the single layer or double layer tread. I'm exactly the same size and lbs as you. I went with the 1.8 taffeta, but apparently the 1.1 will hold you too. As for the length I have no idea. Here's what randy sent me if it helps.....

"
The Night Grid Camo is right around 61" or 61.25" and I'd probably use the full width of the fabric on that one to yield a hammock 60" wide or just a hair under. The 1.9oz (actually 1.85oz) ACU is 65" wide, but note it's also a 40d (think 1.6oz) fabric that finishes a little heavier. It's gonna lay more like a 1.6oz with just a little more stretch. It may not even be enough to tell a difference?

Having said this above..... A little extra width is a more important for a 10ft length if you're fairly tall. An 11ft gives you more room at the head and foot so 60ish works well. In a 10ft hammock, a few extra inches allows for more of a diagonal lay and will provide less calf ridge and shoulder squeeze. Again, I'm pointing out very minor things that may or may not be felt in the final product."

If this helps at all.

dukhntn
03-16-2014, 22:46
It does. Thanks.