PDA

View Full Version : Handy Hammock - Double Strut Kit

gmcttr
03-08-2014, 16:46
My Handy Hammock Stand Double Strut Kit (without hammock) arrived last month but today was the first day the ground was thawed. Test day at last.

The directions puzzled me at first, but it didn't take long to figure it out. The set-up will be quite easy the next time. Having done it once, I'll never need the directions again. (Edit: The instructions show two colors of lines while my kit only had one color which is what confused me.)

Since I didn't order the hammock, I tied a piece of shock cord between the strut tops to support them until I could set up my GT Ultralight with a suspension that would work.

Once it was ready to try, I pushed down on the hammock, nothing moved... gently sat down - the struts pressed 1/2" into the soft ground...bounced a couple of times, then bounced firmly and was pleased to see the struts and anchors held firm...swing legs in, lay back...NICE!

I weigh 185 lbs and I am very impressed with the solid secure feeling this stand has.:thumbup1:

Next time I will lengthen the cord between the strut ground plates and play with a longer hammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62963&stc=1&d=1394313296

cataraftgirl
03-08-2014, 22:31
Thanks for the review. I ordered one and I'm looking forward to trying it out. What length hammock did you use?

gmcttr
03-08-2014, 23:46
...What length hammock did you use?

That's a GT Ultralight which is only listed as 9.5' but is probably only 9' the way I larks headed continuous loops on to it as a quicky work around to the whoopie slings that were on it.

I intend to experiment with replacing the spacer rope between the two strut ground plates with one that is ~3.5' longer. It's a long shot but I want to see if I can fit a bridge hammock on it. Since I hang a bridge flatter than a gathered end, I'm hoping my butt won't be on the ground. I'm also hoping the stress doesn't blow up the whole thing. Opps...I think i just voided the warranty.:laugh:

Did you get the long stakes for sand?

cataraftgirl
03-08-2014, 23:49
Thanks. I'll be using a Trek Light double which is a 10 ft. hammock. I think the HHS website says it will work well on a hammock up to 10.5 ft. Good luck with the bridge.

One other question. How long did it take to get yours? I ordered about a month ago. I know the website site says up to 20 days outside europe.

gmcttr
03-09-2014, 00:31
You should be able to use a 10 footer. You'll have to use a short suspension. In case you missed it, Derek did an in depth review and adapted it for a longer hammock... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/handy-hammock-stand-review/

I ordered mine on or about 2/9/14 during their sale and received it either 16 or 19 days later. I was thinking you ordered about the same time. If that's the case, it's probably time to contact them.

cataraftgirl
03-09-2014, 09:17
You should be able to use a 10 footer. You'll have to use a short suspension. In case you missed it, Derek did an in depth review and adapted it for a longer hammock... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/handy-hammock-stand-review/

I ordered mine on or about 2/9/14 during their sale and received it either 16 or 19 days later. I was thinking you ordered about the same time. If that's the case, it's probably time to contact them.
Thanks. I have sent an e-mail and a PM to Jason. I ordered 2/8 during the sale. I'm anxious to start using this stand.

cataraftgirl
03-11-2014, 17:43

I heard from Jason today and he's checking on the problem with my order. Question.....what about a tarp. The reason I'm getting this stand is because I raft & paddle desert rivers with scarce trees. Now for the tarp??? Dejoha had one in his pictures, but he told me that the stand flexes just enough when you lay in it to keep the tarp from staying taut. I could have Marty at WL make me a mini Tadpole with a short ridgeline maybe? Or figure a way to make a tarp work with trekking poles? Any thoughts on this now that you've used the stand?
Thanks
Cat Girl

gmcttr
03-11-2014, 20:25
I haven't tried a tarp with it yet. I'm thinking it would be very close (storm mode?) to the hammock if it was hung from/over the struts. I would lean toward trying hiking poles or even dedicated poles.

cataraftgirl
03-14-2014, 07:37
I got ahold of Jason. My stand got lost in the mail apparently, so we will try again. I'll be using my stand mostly on river trips where I'll have paddles or oars. I'm wondering about using my paddle & spare paddle to add some height for a tarp?

gmcttr
03-14-2014, 10:11
Using the paddles sounds like an excellent idea.

halfastronomical
03-14-2014, 10:34
i am looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with for the tarp.

MGLion
03-14-2014, 11:20
I ordered one w/beach pegs on 2/20, Have received the beach pegs, still waiting on the standing. Planning on using it on Hammocks Beach State Park, here in NC. I may be the first to camp with a hammock in the park.

Hammocks Beach is located on a barrier island, no trees.

brazilianguy
05-14-2014, 17:17
Good review. I'll be ordering one of these soon, also interested to see what people come up on getting a tarp over it