PDA

View Full Version : questions about the blackbird

spidennis
06-11-2009, 12:29
I got a few questions about the blackbird.
I want to buy an "all in one" hammock
that I can also put it on the ground if necessary.
so the bottom layer has to be waterproof. Is it?
the netting, is it no-see-um proof?
is there a pad sleeve?

I was also looking at the claytor jungle hammock,
but they stitched together both layers
so there's no more pad sleeve ....
so that's out of the running.

eno has their new jungle hammock coming out later this year,
it seems to have what I need, but not available yet .

now I'm considering the bb ..... is this the one to have (for me)?

pizza
06-11-2009, 12:47
The Blackbird is not made of waterproof nylon nor should any hammock be in my opinion. They need to be breathable otherwise you'd likely have nasty condensation in the bottom of the hammock.

Cannibal
06-11-2009, 12:52
so the bottom layer has to be waterproof. Is it?
the netting, is it no-see-um proof?
is there a pad sleeve?

Nope
Probably
Yep.
:lol:

You'd want a piece of Tyvex or something for a ground cloth if setting up on the ground. We don't have no-see-ums in Colorado (Thank Goodness!), but assuming it is the same netting that he used on the ElDorado (think it is) then it will work fine. I hiked all over Florida in all seasons with the ElDorado, never had anything get through. You have to order it as a double, then you get two layers of fabric; not just a sleeve for a pad.

Out of the ones you listed, I can't imagine any of them being more comfortable than the BBs. Nobody knows about the ENO Jungle yet, I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get my hands on one.

shrek
06-11-2009, 12:58
Out of the ones you listed, I can't imagine any of them being more comfortable than the BBs. Nobody knows about the ENO Jungle yet, I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get my hands on one.

I just got my BB. Going hanging this weekend at Hot Springs. But, I want a good look at the ENO Jungle, as well. Always room for another hammock.

spidennis
06-11-2009, 13:09
anyone have a pic of the bb with a pad in it?
how about it on the ground (like the claytor)?
see that here:
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

who sells a piece of tyvex?
sewn up like a bathtub floor?
I could use a few stakes to hold it up.

I need to prepare for some motorcycle camping xcountry (dirt bike style).
I'll never know where I'll be, rain or shine ....
got to be prepared for anything, anywhere, anytime ......
could be doing plenty of stealth camping as well !

canoebie
06-11-2009, 13:11
I responded to your earlier post about the Claytor. I am pretty sure they now have a pad sleeve and are not sewn together. That was a brief snafu and has since been corrected.

Cannibal
06-11-2009, 13:14
anyone have a pic of the bb with a pad in it?
how about it on the ground (like the claytor)?
see that here:
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
Those are two things I avoid at all costs. The only pad I ever use in the BB is for my feet and legs. I think I've had a pad fully deployed two, maybe three, nights when it was bitter cold (sub zero). The only hammock I have ever put on the ground, on purpose, was a HH. Just wanted to see what it was like; didn't like it.

who sells a piece of tyvex?
sewn up like a bathtub floor?
I could use a few stakes to hold it up.
Swing by a construction site and you can probably talk someone into giving you a piece. Otherwise, you can buy it at most big hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). Don't know what to tell you about the bathtub or stake issue; see above response. :D

I need to prepare for some motorcycle camping xcountry (dirt bike style).
I'll never know where I'll be, rain or shine ....
got to be prepared for anything, anywhere, anytime ......
could be doing plenty of stealth camping as well !
Sounds like a blast! :shades:

warbonnetguy
06-11-2009, 14:00
yes, you wouldn't want a waterproof bottom except maybe in winter, but not on a mosquito hammock(read: hot, humid, buggy weather). you want it breathable all around like the inner body of a double wall tent.

to go to ground, you'll need a groundcloth for 2 reasons:

as a waterproof barrier AND to protect the hammock fabric from abrasion.

spidennis
06-11-2009, 14:05
ok, you guys convinced me to use a separate waterproof ground cloth, cool.

how does the pad sleeve work?
from the side, the end?
velcro or zipper?

Cannibal
06-11-2009, 14:14
From the side. No zipper on the double layer (pad sleeve), but access to it is inside of the entry zipper.

Red Hat
06-11-2009, 14:20
yes, you wouldn't want a waterproof bottom except maybe in winter, but not on a mosquito hammock(read: hot, humid, buggy weather). you want it breathable all around like the inner body of a double wall tent.

If you are in Southern Texas, especially Padre Island, you can sure relate to the hot, humid, buggy weather! My BB does fine in the Texas heat.