PDA

View Full Version : Dream Hammocks - So many options!

mrjaw14
03-14-2014, 11:18
So I'm shopping around for my first "good" hammock. Really started looking at the Dream Hammocks thunderbird today. My gosh there are a lot of fabric options!

I'd like to hear from those of you that have a DH hammock: what fabrics and widths did you choose? Why?

Cactusjack
03-14-2014, 11:33
I have a Dbl 1.0 Woodland Camo Dangerbird 10' x 60" and love it. The inside is huge! I do wish though I would have gotten a Thunderbird so i could remove the weight of the net and over cover depending on the mission. I also wish I would have gotten single layer (Camo Night Grid) because I found an under-quilt so much more comfortable than pads. As a result I am scheming on my next hammock from Dream Hammocks. Have fun researching and even more fun hangin.

Mustang
03-14-2014, 12:43
I have an 11' Darien, double layer, 1.1 black ripstop, 64" wide. This is my first Dream Hammock, and I'm possitive that it won't be my last. I wanted a hammock that didn't have a designated lay direction. I'm 6'-2" and 215 lbs.

mrjaw14
03-14-2014, 12:51
how do you determine what the size you get should be? is it body height in inches?

Izraelius
03-16-2014, 10:38
Wider usually correlates to more room as the more diagonal you can lay the flatter you will be able to lay. The limit usually comes from a persons concern for weight and packed size of the hammock.

mrjaw14
03-20-2014, 11:11
I have an el'cheap byer of maine hammock right now, and it's actually really comfy. No shoulder squeeze or calf ridge to speak of. My fear with any new hammock is the comfort level, especially jumping in price from $50 to $275. Hate to spend that kind of cash and not be happy. Can you guys that own a dream hammock comment on any comfort issues you might have and how you resolved them? I have it down to a DH thunderbird and a WB BB xlc. I know the WB BB's had calf rigge issues supposedly not in the XLC as much, but I have't heard of any issues with dream hammocks. I don't know if that's because there aren't those issues, or if there's not enough people with them yet to get a good measure vs a WB bb xlc. is it safe to assume with a 60+ wide hammock 11' long that you simply have more options to find the "sweet spot" and thus illeviate any comfort issues?

Cali
03-20-2014, 12:49
I have the 11' DL ThunderBird, and I love it. No calf pressure or any issues of any kind except getting out of the hammock in the morning. So comfy I want to stay in it. :lol: Dream Hammocks has a huge variety of colors to chose from and Randy is wonderful to deal with. Good luck in your decision. I hear the BB XLC is very nice also, but I have no experience with them. I do like my WBBB.

DeRozea
03-25-2014, 17:40
my biggest problem with my dream hammock(s), 11' thunder bird 1.9 double layer ACU is to get out of it. I just don't want to. it was my first hammock and it is almost perfect. I say almost because it is just over 2 lbs with strap suspension, but it is bomb proof and super comfy. my go to for winter and car camping and even a short hike/overnight. I remedied this by getting the darien in 1.8 single layer for the longer backpacking trips and it is less than half the weight. and even roomier. thunder bird and no regrets. worth it! Papa smurf is fantastic with replying to every little question, and I had many, within 24 hours. my girlfriend loved mine so much(her complaint was it is to big for her)she went and ordered her own 10' thunder bird single1.8 night grid camo. (order 852).
I don't have any experience with the blackbird, but it is a favourite on the forum, but something when I was researching made me go to dream hammock, and I am glad I did. haven't read of any issues with them, and as to my issue being to comfy and needing to get out of it, and the girlfriend saying mine is to big(she got hers a foot shorter). get the thunderbird

WesArnold
03-25-2014, 18:04
So I'm shopping around for my first "good" hammock. Really started looking at the Dream Hammocks thunderbird today. My gosh there are a lot of fabric options!

I'd like to hear from those of you that have a DH hammock: what fabrics and widths did you choose? Why?

Just email Randy. He'll tell you just about anything you could want to know about how to choose. We did several emails back and forth before I ordered my Dangerbird.

rambotogo
03-25-2014, 18:37
Ordered a t- bird 11' 1.9 muilcam ouside layer , 1.1 olive inside layer . It came down to the xlc and the T-Bird . Dream hammocks had more options , but I am sure the xlc would have worked also. I like the zipper on both sides of the t-bird also. The wait was well worth it and the craftsmanship is second to none .

TheFirePitGuy
03-26-2014, 11:35
I have an 11' Darien, double layer, 1.1 black ripstop, 64" wide. This is my first Dream Hammock, and I'm possitive that it won't be my last. I wanted a hammock that didn't have a designated lay direction. I'm 6'-2" and 215 lbs.
Mustang, I was looking at the Dangerbird and the description noted that there is no dedicated head or foot end but I have to select designated Asym lay when I spec out the hammock for purchase. This is the same for the Darien. I know what the asym lay means, but if you can lay in any direction then why do they ask for Asym Lay direction? This is confusing to me. There is something obvious that I am missing. Can you help clarify this for me? Thanks, FPG:confused:

PapaSmurf
03-26-2014, 11:54
I know what the asym lay means, but if you can lay in any direction then why do they ask for Asym Lay direction?

You can lay with your head on either end of the hammock, but you cannot switch from "right lay" to "left lay".
Take a peek at the 2 "right lay" hammock photos below.

This is a right lay hammock and I prefer the zipper on my right side so that's the way I lay in the Darien.
http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Hammocks/Darien/Darien8.jpg

This is also a right lay hammock, but BearPlow is laying with the zipper on his left side.
http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Hammocks/Darien/Darien_blue2.jpg

TheFirePitGuy
03-26-2014, 12:26
Looking at the pics the person is laying on their right shoulder in the top pic and left shoulder on the lower pic. The fabric cut is still for a right asym lay. I see that now and understand Mustangs post. Sometimes when something is so obvious, I end up tripping over air. Thanks PapaSmurf:)

Suede
03-26-2014, 12:38
I have a 10' thunderbird, 1.8 poly, about 62" wide. I am 5'6" and about 170. Plenty wide for me to get a flat, firm lay. It's perfect for me with a nice compromise of comfort and weight. Love it! Have not even looked at another hammock since.

mrjaw14
03-30-2014, 08:53
I've already exchanged several emails with randy. After 5-6 I just stopped because he was so gracious and patient I felt bad and didn't want to be a bother. He was prompt to respond and I didn't want to take up any more of his time. My questions were mainly on color choice. I really don't want camo, I want something like the olive brown color my wb Superfly is, but that fabric just isn't available. Cyote is too light, foliage gray is too gray in daylight, etc. I'm really thinking black, but I'd prefer a subdued earth tone. Theres a southeast hang in two weeks and someone is coming with a dream hammock, so I'll have an opportunity to see, and if the owner is gracious enough, lay in one. Birthdays coming up in July, maybe I'll place an order in May or June as a bday present to myself!