PDA

View Full Version : New MacCat Deluxe Clone and Rolled Hammock

lvleph
04-02-2007, 18:08
So I just finished my MacCat Deluxe clone and decided to take some pics with my new rolled hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/7/8/IMG_05831.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/7/8/IMG_05811.JPG

EDIT: Yes, I know it is not taut, but I was getting annoyed and just wanted it set up.
Both of these pics were taken right before I broke my ego.

blackie
04-02-2007, 18:56
very nice job..looks like a pro job to me...bet it sleeps well too..

lvleph
04-02-2007, 19:21
The hammock is 120", but I will put a ridge line in for 100" and the Tarp is 130".

EDIT: I am trying to figure out if I should make a permanent ridge line or a removable one. I am not sure why I would ever really need to remove the ridge line.

slowhike
04-02-2007, 20:30
looks great. if you ever become concerned about the slim coverage at the hammock ends, you may want to take another look at the storage end covers.
i need to get back on that project & show a trimer, simpler version that would be more attractive to folks. ...tim

lvleph
04-03-2007, 05:54
I think, once I have a ridge line the coverage will be fine.

NCPatrick
04-03-2007, 08:15
Looks good lvleph! Now you've got to take a trip and try it out.

lvleph
04-03-2007, 08:42
Yep, this weekend I am going out. I haven't figured out where, but I know it will be in Northern/Central Virginia. I am hoping to make it to SEHHA, but I need to come up with a ride. I am going to try and add a ridge line to the hammock so that it is more comfortable. I have it set up to use a removable ridge line. Sorry that I have no pic of the hammock. When I set it up for that pic it fell. I didn't have the ring buckles secured.

I am thinking of having a removable bug netting, but I don't want to use a zipper, and I am unsure if Velcro will work on a HH clone (with no bottom entry).
I have decided that the Figure 9s are what I will use for the ridge tie outs on the tarp. Those cams cannot be used for that. I did manage to use them but not in the way they are intended to be used. It is funny the way one comes up with *******ized ways of doing things when one wants to just get it up.

I still need to seem seal the tarp. I will probably do that today. One thing I learned to simplify the construction of the MacCat is to try and not cut any of the curves until you have everything measured and drawn out. Then I put the second panel underneath the one with all the lines drawn and cut both at the same time. In addition, I hate to pin, so when I was pinning the edges to get ready for hemming I realized most of the hemming problems are caused by the corners and so I just pinned the corners. This made things so much quicker. Oh, and double sewing the hem IMO makes it look so much cleaner. I am definitely going to do that on my Micro clone.

headchange4u
04-03-2007, 10:54
Man, that setup looks great. This site has spawned some great DIY gear.

Ewker
04-03-2007, 10:59
Man, that setup looks great. This site has spawned some great DIY gear.

and less help for new folks.

funbun
04-03-2007, 11:04
and less help for new folks.

What do you mean by that?

lvleph
04-03-2007, 11:18
How do you think I got to that setup. By getting help from HE, BB, and many others.

Ewker
04-03-2007, 11:30
What do you mean by that?

that is has become more of a DIY site for hammock gear than to help folks out just getting interested in hammocking.

Coffee
04-03-2007, 11:40
that is has become more of a DIY site for hammock gear than to help folks out just getting interested in hammocking.

I have been thinking about this after I saw one of your posts on WB about this. I can see how someone new to this site would think this. HF is new enough where there is not a lot of info in the archives. Someone new will look at all of the current threads and may not find the answer to their questions. I think most of the new threads lean towards DIY stuff because that is what the 10-15 people (myself included) that post a lot are interested in talking about. It's our way of staying interested in this place and staying active.

I think in terms of newer people, it is something they have to actively participate in. If a thread is started and questions asked, I can see good answers.

seawolf
04-03-2007, 11:50
Great looking tarp, did you use a pattern?

lvleph
04-03-2007, 12:06
I used the excel macro that I wrote for BB. You can get it in his BlackCat directions. The only reason I don't post a complete how to is that one can follow his how to, and I am not going to try and take away from what he has already accomplished.

headchange4u
04-03-2007, 12:19

I think we do a lot to help newbies. I have written articles, the video tutorial will be coming soon, and I think any questions raised by new members is addressed. We are also planning gathering where new members can get some hands on experience. I know some of the information can be overwhelming and you get several opinions, but as HE stated this site was created because of the efforts of a few fanatical hammock campers. This is a bit of a niche forum. Want a new flashlight? Try getting an answer that is not overwhelming at the Candle Power forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/). Want a new set of headphones for your new iPod? Look through the forums at www.head-fi.org and try not to be confused beyond belief.

Those of us who are hard core hammock campers really do try and help out those who are just getting started, and I realize it may raise more questions than it answers but that's part of the leaning process. It's still a new site so hopefully on down the road it will be a little less confusing to those just getting started.

Coffee
04-03-2007, 12:34
I think we do a lot to help newbies. I have written articles, the video tutorial will be coming soon, and I think any questions raised by new members is addressed. I know some of the information can be overwhelming and you get several opinions, but as HE stated this site was created because of the efforts of a few fanatical hammock campers. This is a bit of a niche forum. Want a new flashlight? Try getting an answer that is not overwhelming at the Candle Power forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/). Want a new set of headphones for your new iPod? Look through the forums at ww.head-fi.org and try not to be confused beyond belief.

Those of us who are hard core hammock campers really do try and help out those who are just getting started, and I realize it may raise more questions than it answers but that's part of the leaning process. It's still a new site so hopefully on down the road it will be a little less confusing to those just getting started.

They have a whole forum devoted to "lasers".:eek:

lvleph
04-03-2007, 12:43
I was going to put lasers on my dogs heads for you, but my wife didn't like the idea. I may still do it. I just need one more laser, and then they can have some fun with each other.

headchange4u
04-03-2007, 13:16
They have a whole forum devoted to "lasers".:eek:

The things they do to a Mag Light would give Bird Dog a chubby....:eek: :p

Bird Dog
04-03-2007, 14:04
The things they do to a Mag Light would give Bird Dog a chubby....:eek: :p

Ahhhhh...the MAGLITE. The most versatile piece of gear ever made. I love everyone of mine.

When I first started smurfing around this site I was (and still am) a newbie to hammock camping. Thru meeting lots of you at the Mt Rogers hang, and learning from people like the Jacks, and BB, I am still a newbie, but much more comfortable with my gear.

So, I disagree. This site is great for new hammockers.

BD

lvleph
04-03-2007, 14:16
I will always be a newbie. We always have something to learn. With this I learned a lot. I even learned that just because the fall didn't seem bad that doesn't mean you won't be hurting for a couple days.

FanaticFringer
04-03-2007, 15:16
I will always be a newbie. We always have something to learn. With this I learned a lot. I even learned that just because the fall didn't seem bad that doesn't mean you won't be hurting for a couple days.

www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Metolius/idesc/Cheap+*******+Crash+Pad/Store/MG/item/640838/N/0
:D :eek: :o

lvleph
04-03-2007, 15:36
I am such a cheap ******* I think that is too much. After 16 yrs of skateboarding I am sure I can take it.

Just Jeff
04-07-2007, 10:03
I don't think a question has been asked on this site that hasn't been answered. Whether it was about new gear, purchased gear, DIY gear, how to use the gear, where to use the gear, when everyone is getting together to use their gear, who lives nearby to show someone how to use their new/old/purchased/DIY gear, etc.

Ewker, you've had several offers from folks on this site willing to show you, personally, how to use a hammock. It doesn't get more helpful than that. You've seen folks using their hammocks but didn't pay attention b/c it was the "dreaded" one you've never used and already passed judgment on. Yet you continue to ask the same questions, and ignore the same answers, then complain that it's "the site" that isn't useful.

Just because the answers aren't simple doesn't mean they're not useful. Personally, I'd rather them be complete than simple.

If any newbies think they didn't get a complete answer to a question, please PM or email me and I'll make sure you get the info you need.

funbun
04-07-2007, 10:24
I don't think a question has been asked on this site that hasn't been answered. Whether it was about new gear, purchased gear, DIY gear, how to use the gear, where to use the gear, when everyone is getting together to use their gear, who lives nearby to show someone how to use their new/old/purchased/DIY gear, etc.

Ewker, you've had several offers from folks on this site willing to show you, personally, how to use a hammock. It doesn't get more helpful than that. You've seen folks using their hammocks but didn't pay attention b/c it was the "dreaded" one you've never used and already passed judgment on. Yet you continue to ask the same questions, and ignore the same answers, then complain that it's "the site" that isn't useful.

Just because the answers aren't simple doesn't mean they're not useful. Personally, I'd rather them be complete than simple.

If any newbies think they didn't get a complete answer to a question, please PM or email me and I'll make sure you get the info you need.

Well said.

Grinder
04-09-2007, 08:43
Ewker,

I feel your assertion was kind of harsh.

I found Just Jeff, Risk, Speer, and then this site with the Google search function.

The people here educated me about hammocks. Being a frugal hanger, I was drawn to the DIY side of things anyway. There is no better way to understand the basics than by making your own. The thought "OH!! That's what they were talking about!!!" just keeps coming up again and again. But, at least I didn't blow hundreds learning the basics.

There is a class of internet users who expect things to be spoon fed to them. I don't agree with that concept. It sounds like you might. Such is life.

All the advice I got, early on, is still there in the archives. "Search function" is a newbies friend. Learning to ask the right question is part of learning about a subject.

That's my two cents. I still look forward to meeting you on the trail. No hard feelings for a difference in opinion, right??

Miles of Smiles

Tom

rptinker
04-09-2007, 22:52
right on man! Learning is but a combination of theory and practice. the archives provides you with ideas and concepts but it is the "do it yourself" part that make things real!