PDA

View Full Version : First DD Travel Hang

houltmac
03-23-2014, 15:57
So I've had my DD Travel and 3x3 tarp for a couple of years, but somehow I managed never to hang it. This weekend I have repeatedly hung it in the back garden. I've been so happy with it. Easy, comfy, I wonder why I've tent camped so much since I bought it. Oh well, best intentions.
x
I have decided I want to change the suspension for Whoopie Slings and huggers. I have also decided that while I am told I should trust the channel, and I do for garden hangs, in the field where it's up and down all the time I would prefer to knot the ends.

I haven't managed to pitch the tarp as yet since all my lines and extra cord seem to have been used up by my less than helpful friends. I also notice a small hole has opened up in the tarp since it was last used at a tent camp. Possibly from my dog sleeping on it.

Hope to get something wild soon.

craige
03-23-2014, 17:04
Yep, hammocks are the way forward :D

I've read repeatedly that the dd stock webbing is quite stretchy and it is probably heavier than a whoopie suspension???

The dd tarps are VERY versatile in terms of setup options and are pretty bomproof as well. Check out this thread to see it setup rotated 90° so it has a panel pull on each side https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?73901-Taking-the-DD-tarp-and-frontline-out-on-a-pretty-gnarly-rain-test

Some tenacious tape should patch the hole perfectly.

turnerminator
03-23-2014, 17:50
Great stuff HM. :)

I've had many happy a night in the DD travel and also under the 3x3 tarp.

This may give you a little faith in trusting the channel; I've done well over 150 nights in the Travel with 2mm Dyneema braid run through the channel. This is using Loopie slings which are harder on the channel than whoopies. I weigh close to 100 kg and have swung on it endlessly. :)

A little patch of fabric with some Mcnett Seamgrip will fix the hole in the tarp forever. ;)

The tarp has seen more use than the hammock. Well over 200 nights, 3 quite severe storms and 2 weeks in the arctic where it saw under -40c. I phoned DD last year to thank them. :)

MattBigmonster
03-23-2014, 18:28
If you looking for a new tarp there is a kick *** deal on a silnylon one:
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping-Equipment/Bivi/Bivi-Tents/Siltarp-3-Yellow-ITD-ST3Y#.Uy9tz0qDPVg

Yellow unfortunatelly but that's what I'm using and it will fit in the palm of your hand.

houltmac
03-24-2014, 01:29
Thanks craige. The webbing is a little stretchy, but not much. It's quick and easy to put up it's just got no rain wicking protection and is huge to pack (I'm more concerned with space then weight right now). I'll get it patched soon and try a setup as soon as I get some more cordage.

houltmac
03-24-2014, 01:33
Thanks TM! I have been told the channel is strong, but actual accounts to help. I'll get the tarp fixed up soon, can't wait to try it out. I also haven't tried my DD Underquilt as yet (though my GF often uses it as a top quilt on the sofa while watching TV in the winter).

Thundermonkey
05-18-2015, 14:26
I was considering the travel hammock as a first hammock for me and my wife . I read somewhere that because the bottom is not breathable ,condensation can be an issue ? How do you combat condensation or is it even an issue ?

EnglishBob
05-27-2015, 09:37
WHat I did to my DD hammock to install the whoops slings was cut the DD staps very short then tie the end togeather. I them looped the whoop thoungh its own end loop around that. That wap you keep the DD wide tape in the channel but still have a whoop on your hammock. Had mine for 2 years and had not problems so far. .