PDA

View Full Version : 5th Anual Idaho Hang, September 6th-13th 2014

pgibson
03-27-2014, 18:53
The 2014 (5th) annual Idaho Hang will cover the most ground of any hang so far. Starting Saturday, September 6th we will meet at the inlet transfer camp on the south end of Red Fish Lake. There are 2 options for reaching the transfer camp. The first option is to take the shuttle boat from Red Fish Lodge dock across the lake. This option will take less than 10 minutes once the shuttle leaves the lodge dock until it reaches the inlet dock just steps from the camp. The Shuttle leaves on demand for 2 or more hikers with a one way shuttle fee of $8.00 anytime between 7am and 8pm.

The second option is to hike around the west side of Red Fish lake. Roughly 4 miles of hiking from the lodge to the inlet camp.

We will spend the fist night at the inlet campground, hanging around the fire, and getting to know everyone.

Day number one (Sunday) of the hike will take us south through the sawtooths from the Red Fish Lake inlet to Crammer Lakes. The trail gently climbs gradually up Red Fish Canyon. Roughly 7 miles of hiking for the first day will take us to a lake basin that contains 3 lakes that step one to the next with a waterfall between the largest lakes.

Day Number 2 (Monday) of the hike will take us up out of the lake basin, over a pass and into another drainage full of lakes. This climb will take us from 8400' up to 9500' and then back down to 8500 for our next camp, roughly 8 miles. With dozens of lakes in the area we will have 2 layover days to relax (Tuesday & Wednesday) in this remote basin and explore several areas, peak bag, fish, and day hike the area.

Our third hiking day (Thursday)of hiking will take us several miles up and around Glens peak, past the 10 lake basin and into the Flytrip creek drainage. Another 7 mile day. One of the more remote drainages in all of the Sawtooths with several lakes to explore all reported to have great fishing. We again will take a layover day (Friday) with more opportunities to day hike, fish and peak bag.

Saturday, the final day of the hang, we will hike up out of the Flytrip basin, over a low pass on the side of Snowy Side peak, drop into the north alpine creek basin. We will hike past several lakes that will be worth taking a break to fish for Cutthroat and Arctic Grayling, we camped in this basin for the 3rd Idaho Hang. From there we will hike the final few miles out to the Alturas Lake trail head where we will have a shuttle car or two waiting to take hikers back to the Red Fish Lodge trail head parking.

For this years hang we will be making a T-Shirt for anyone that is attending that would like one. These will have a graphic designed by Dejoha just for us and will be a high quality wicking T Shirt. Cost will be $20-25 and we will need size and funds by late July to have them made and delivered to me in time. We are considering adding your ID hang attendance record....so if you have attended a previous hang it will be noted on the shirt somehow....still sorting out how that will work and look. I will post further details as those develop.

If you have RSVP's through the Hang page at Arrowhead you will get any updates and reminders emailed as we get closer and any changes develop. Otherwise post here and stay tuned for any info as it develops.

KSC
03-27-2014, 20:55
I have been waiting for you to start this thread for almost a month. I think this will be the best hike we have had so far. If you have never hiked in the Sawtooth Mountains you need to make this hang. We will get a few miles under our belts with plenty of rest days. You have done a great job of planning this one Paul. I won't miss it.

I like the idea of the tee shirt. I will definately purchase one.

Keith

sr1355
04-04-2014, 07:00
RATS!!!! We will be there the following week and unfortunately dates can not be changed. It would have been a GREAT time meeting you as well as others from the area.

pgibson
06-19-2014, 10:40
T shirts for the Hang are now available to order at AHE. Tried posting photo but the uploader does not seem to be working???

We have them available in short sleeve and long sleeve options. The fit on them is a relaxed fix if you go with your regular size. If you want it fairly fitted go down a size. We do have the size chart on the store though so double check that to be sure you get the size you want.

We will be having the T's printed in batches throughout the summer and cut it off about 2 weeks before the hang. As such we will be shipping them out in batches after they are made...it will likely be a few weeks after you order before we have your T on the way to you...aka we are not stocking them.

I have also created a PDF file about Backpacking the Sawtooths for anyone new to hiking in the area that wants the details I would give you if you called me to talk about the area and what to get the info that's not in the guide books.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c13/Idaho_Hang.html

pgibson
08-27-2014, 21:21
A little over a week until the hang! :D

If anyone needs a map or directions give me a holler.

I need a head count of anyone that is coming for sure so we can work to coordinate the shuttle car set up to get back to the starting trail head at the end of the hike.

Also any T shirt orders need to be in by 8am Friday this week to get them in time for the hang.

SnrMoment
08-30-2014, 08:57
Still in. The geezer is packing.
Fire situation? Burning restrictions? (as in which stove to bring).

pgibson
08-31-2014, 12:59
Sounds good Snrmoment. It will be great to hike with you again. See you next week.

pgibson
09-02-2014, 17:17
Just a few days now.

KSC
09-02-2014, 22:54
Still in. The geezer is packing.
Fire situation? Burning restrictions? (as in which stove to bring).

I was wondering the same thing about the fire danger. Is a wood stove legal this year?

SnrMoment
09-03-2014, 08:03
I couldn't find any fire restrictions on line, but that does not mean there aren't any.

pgibson
09-03-2014, 10:02
Just talked to the SNRA office and all fire restrictions are lifted in the wilderness. We will be fine to use any form of fire/stove to cook.....bring the tin foil boys. :)

YellowJacket
09-06-2014, 01:32
Paul,
See you guys in Idaho. Can't wait. I think those trout are just waiting for us.

Here's to a good hang and plenty of fish.

YellowJacket in Seattle

MuseJr
09-06-2014, 01:54
Wish I was heading north for this. I will just have to wait for the reports.

pgibson
09-06-2014, 11:03
I'll be on the road in a few. Sorry your not going to make it Muse. Might shake it up next year so some more folks can make it.