PDA

View Full Version : NY>Finger Lakes National Forest April 26 & 27

12trysomething
03-29-2014, 08:40
I am planning on an overnight backpacking trip here that weekend. The Interloken trail is about 12 miles long with a bunch of additional trails throughout the forest. For those that have not been here, it is a mostly flat area. You can check out this link for more info http://cnyhiking.com/FingerLakesNationalForest.htm

If anyone is interested we can determine a meeting place/time and itinerary for the trip.

Hopefully this could turn into a mini-hang of sorts.

CallMeIshmael
03-29-2014, 21:42
I live in Ithaca, so I'd love to come, but alas I work on Saturdays. Have fun, take some cool pictures! Somehow I've never gotten out to the National Forest yet!

walterharold
03-29-2014, 21:48
Looks like a nice Spring hike. Schedule permitting, I'd like to join you.

12trysomething
03-29-2014, 22:13
I live in Ithaca, so I'd love to come, but alas I work on Saturdays. Have fun, take some cool pictures! Somehow I've never gotten out to the National Forest yet!

What time do you finish work?

12trysomething
03-29-2014, 22:16
Looks like a nice Spring hike. Schedule permitting, I'd like to join you.

Perfect. Lest keep this thread active.

DuctTape
03-30-2014, 04:51
I am a strong maybe. The FLNF is a great place to hike and hang, but trout season will be in full swing.

12trysomething
03-30-2014, 16:18
I am a strong maybe. The FLNF is a great place to hike and hang, but trout season will be in full swing.

It would be great if it works out for you. We could talk NPT.

TheOakMonster
03-31-2014, 18:20
I also live in the Ithaca area, and, unfortunately, also work Saturdays (until 9 pm). I'm also very new and haven't yet spent a night in my hammock. Once the overnight temperatures get above freezing though I plan to spend most Sunday-Mondays hiking/hanging. So maybe I'll hit the FLNF that Sunday and Monday and be able to meet-up.

I really enjoy hiking the FLNF, but that flat terrain certainly lends itself to a swampy, muddy mess of trails. And, in the summer and fall, lots o' bugs. I haven't done much early season hiking in that area, though. Could be fun?

12trysomething
03-31-2014, 18:37
I also live in the Ithaca area, and, unfortunately, also work Saturdays (until 9 pm). I'm also very new and haven't yet spent a night in my hammock. Once the overnight temperatures get above freezing though I plan to spend most Sunday-Mondays hiking/hanging. So maybe I'll hit the FLNF that Sunday and Monday and be able to meet-up.

I really enjoy hiking the FLNF, but that flat terrain certainly lends itself to a swampy, muddy mess of trails. And, in the summer and fall, lots o' bugs. I haven't done much early season hiking in that area, though. Could be fun?

Stay plugged into this thread. Head down Sunday morning, check out some gear. It would be great to meet up.

Mud mud mud....last May, June and July the whole FLNF was mud....fun but mud.

Cosmo
03-31-2014, 20:36
I am planning on an overnight backpacking trip here that weekend. The Interloken trail is about 12 miles long with a bunch of additional trails throughout the forest. For those that have not been here, it is a mostly flat area. You can check out this link for more info http://cnyhiking.com/FingerLakesNationalForest.htm

If anyone is interested we can determine a meeting place/time and itinerary for the trip.

Hopefully this could turn into a mini-hang of sorts.

I would absolutely plan on this if it culminates. I was just there two weekends ago, hung somewhere along the Ravine Trail. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Anyone planning on the NPT, thru-hike or otherwise, this summer?

12trysomething
03-31-2014, 20:42
I would absolutely plan on this if it culminates. I was just there two weekends ago, hung somewhere along the Ravine Trail. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Great to hear. We can work logistics in a few weeks.

Yes, I am. I have Wakely to Placid left. 3rd year in a row with a buddy around Memorial weekend. Can't wait!

DuctTape
03-31-2014, 20:43

The Gorge Trail is also nice. I popped my hammock cherry along the Gorge Trail way back when.

As far as the NPT, I will be leading a section of it for the NPT Chapter of the ADK in late August.

greygorilla
03-31-2014, 21:50
I'm interested. I'm just north of Ithaca. It would be my first group hang so to speak. After this crappy winter I'm itching to get back in the woods. NPT also sounds fun...been eyeballing it for some time!

12trysomething
04-01-2014, 17:25
I'm interested. I'm just north of Ithaca. It would be my first group hang so to speak. After this crappy winter I'm itching to get back in the woods. NPT also sounds fun...been eyeballing it for some time!

Good deal! In a couple of weeks we can put together some ideas for an itinerary.

This is coming together.

TheOakMonster
04-01-2014, 21:08
Stay plugged into this thread. Head down Sunday morning, check out some gear. It would be great to meet up.

That's probably what I'll do, head down on Sunday morning, and meet-up. I think I can make that happen. Sounds like fun

12trysomething
04-09-2014, 12:03
I would like to begin coordinating an itinerary for the weekend. A few logistics we should understand thoughts on:

1) Where would everyone like to be for camp on Saturday night?

2) How many miles would everyone like to hike on Saturday?

3) Any special places you definitely would like to visit?

Once we have everyones thoughts on these we can determine a meeting time, trail head and route(s).

Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to this trip.

1 2 Try Something

Cosmo
04-09-2014, 17:30
I would like to begin coordinating an itinerary for the weekend. A few logistics we should understand thoughts on:

Once we have everyones thoughts on these we can determine a meeting time, trail head and route(s).

1 2 Try Something

I've only been there once a month or two ago, and a number of the trailheads were inaccessible to my low-clearance car. My original itinerary was to park at the Parmenter Rd. trailhead in the north and hike the Interloken south most or all of the way, to camp somewhere off the Burnt Hill trail. I don't know the area well so not sure what the key points of interest are, exactly. I ended up camping off the Ravine Trail, which is a beautiful area for sure. From my Google Earth studies, I thought maybe the Burnt Hill area could offer some good views theoretically, so that was my end-goal. It's a very steep hill (in the southeastern-most area).

Sooo... my thoughts...

1) Maybe somewhere near the Gorge Ponds or South Burnt Hill ponds? At the edge of a cliff?

2) Any or all of the Interloken / No Tan Takto trails. Maybe 6 - 10+ miles? Starting from the Parmenter Rd. or Seneca Rd. trailheads (Teeter Pond). Or wherever.

3) Would love to hear suggestions. Gorges, ponds, views, falls.

Miguel
04-09-2014, 19:47
I'll be watching this and will come if possible. A group of us did a winter hang on the Interloken trail last winter near one of the ponds....Teeters I think. Duct Tape was in attendance...we had a great time. I think we called it the Frozen Fingers Hang or something like that. :) I live in Elmira and know several other hangers in the area.

Miguel

DuctTape
04-09-2014, 20:38
I'll be watching this and will come if possible. A group of us did a winter hang on the Interloken trail last winter near one of the ponds....Teeters I think. Duct Tape was in attendance...we had a great time. I think we called it the Frozen Fingers Hang or something like that. :) I live in Elmira and know several other hangers in the area.

Miguel

Was hoping to attend. But I couldn't make it.

Cosmo
04-11-2014, 08:25

1 2 Try Something

Anyone else have any thoughts?

12trysomething
04-11-2014, 12:25
I've only been there once a month or two ago, and a number of the trailheads were inaccessible to my low-clearance car. My original itinerary was to park at the Parmenter Rd. trailhead in the north and hike the Interloken south most or all of the way, to camp somewhere off the Burnt Hill trail. I don't know the area well so not sure what the key points of interest are, exactly. I ended up camping off the Ravine Trail, which is a beautiful area for sure. From my Google Earth studies, I thought maybe the Burnt Hill area could offer some good views theoretically, so that was my end-goal. It's a very steep hill (in the southeastern-most area).

Sooo... my thoughts...

1) Maybe somewhere near the Gorge Ponds or South Burnt Hill ponds? At the edge of a cliff?

2) Any or all of the Interloken / No Tan Takto trails. Maybe 6 - 10+ miles? Starting from the Parmenter Rd. or Seneca Rd. trailheads (Teeter Pond). Or wherever.

3) Would love to hear suggestions. Gorges, ponds, views, falls.

1) I am good with either of the ponds mentioned.

2) Teeter Pond works well (I could do Parmenter as well for more miles) ideally I would like to get a total of 20+ for the weekend. Others can do more/less

I am interested in a 9ish meet-up to get started on Saturday.

Please continue to share ideas.

walterharold
04-11-2014, 17:31
I was hoping to be able to attend, but I am going to be teaching a class that morning. Have a great trip !!

greygorilla
04-15-2014, 21:35
I've never hiked down that way so I shall let others with experience chime in on location. As far as distance goes I'm up for a 20+ weekend...9ish meet-up sounds do-able for me as well

TheOakMonster
04-15-2014, 21:38
So, I spent my first hammock overnight at FLNF on Sunday night (82' high temperature with 65' overnight). Parked at the north end at Parmenter Rd and hiked in 3/4 mile. Definitely muddy on the trail with plenty of standing water. Very swampy, at the moment. I do not think this area would be very conducive to a group hang.

Also, the mosquitos were already out and about, so be forewarned. BRING A BUGNET (if you have one).

I didn't have a chance to check out the lower portion of the forest. Do not know what conditions are like there.

Cosmo
04-16-2014, 07:33
With all the snowmelt, it'll no doubt be a muddy weekend to go. Oh well... hopefully it's manageable?

Glad everyone's up for the 10 or so miles (each way). Basically that would be the whole of the Interloken trail, with a round trip total of 20-22 miles. From the Parmenter Road trailhead to Gorge Ponds/South Burnt Hill Pond area is about 10 miles exactly. (Another mile or so brings us to the shelter off the Finger Lakes Trail, not that we'd need that of course.) I think that cluster of ponds could possibly be scenic, although I haven't been to that part yet.

So how many people are thinking of making it? Is this thing still on?

Also, for anyone interested: http://cnyhiking.com/FingerLakesNationalForest.htm

12trysomething
04-16-2014, 08:18
With all the snowmelt, it'll no doubt be a muddy weekend to go. Oh well... hopefully it's manageable?

Glad everyone's up for the 10 or so miles (each way). Basically that would be the whole of the Interloken trail, with a round trip total of 20-22 miles. From the Parmenter Road trailhead to Gorge Ponds/South Burnt Hill Pond area is about 10 miles exactly. (Another mile or so brings us to the shelter off the Finger Lakes Trail, not that we'd need that of course.) I think that cluster of ponds could possibly be scenic, although I haven't been to that part yet.

I will be there. I will offer a 9:30am start time at the Parmenter trail head on Saturday 4/26.

TheOakMonster
04-16-2014, 11:38
Originally, I planned to travel over on Sunday morning, since I normally work on Saturday until 9 pm. But, due to work travel next week (visiting Kentucky distilleries--it's tough work but someone has to do it), my schedule will be a little different and I'll have both Saturday and Sunday off. I'll be a bit tired, but can probably make over to FLNF by Saturday afternoon/evening and meet-up. So, I'm planning on attending, but doubt I'll be there early for hiking on Saturday.

12trysomething
04-16-2014, 12:04
Originally, I planned to travel over on Sunday morning, since I normally work on Saturday until 9 pm. But, due to work travel next week (visiting Kentucky distilleries--it's tough work but someone has to do it), my schedule will be a little different and I'll have both Saturday and Sunday off. I'll be a bit tired, but can probably make over to FLNF by Saturday afternoon/evening and meet-up. So, I'm planning on attending, but doubt I'll be there early for hiking on Saturday.

Excellent.

DuctTape
04-17-2014, 19:39

I have found the southern section of the flnf to be more scenic than the northern section. The gorge trail is a favorite. A nice steep trail winding through a hemlock grove following a stream.

There is a nice campsite just to the south of the south burnt hill pond in a planted pine forest. makes for many hammock trees in a close vicinity. There is a 50% chance I will be able to join you all.

12trysomething
04-17-2014, 21:12
I have found the southern section of the flnf to be more scenic than the northern section. The gorge trail is a favorite. A nice steep trail winding through a hemlock grove following a stream.

There is a nice campsite just to the south of the south burnt hill pond in a planted pine forest. makes for many hammock trees in a close vicinity. There is a 50% chance I will be able to join you all.

Great to hear. I truly hope you will be able to attend!

greygorilla
04-20-2014, 19:34
I got permission from the wife today to go...lol! Good lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be there!

12trysomething
04-20-2014, 19:36
I got permission from the wife today to go...lol! Good lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be there!

Excellent...one of my favorite sayings from a co-worker I had 20 years ago....love it.

12trysomething
04-21-2014, 06:54

All, as we enter into the weekend I will suggest that we take the recommendation from DT on the location of our camp site. It sounds as if some may want to hike south to north, some north to south and others may just want to show up at camp...all options are good options. If you could confirm attendance we can then use this week to coordinate with individuals who are interested in similar hikes on Saturday prior to camp.

I am in for sure and am flexible on when/where I can arrive at on Saturday morning.

Looking forward to this.

Cosmo
04-21-2014, 09:05
All, as we enter into the weekend I will suggest that we take the recommendation from DT on the location of our camp site. It sounds as if some may want to hike south to north, some north to south and others may just want to show up at camp...all options are good options. If you could confirm attendance we can then use this week to coordinate with individuals who are interested in similar hikes on Saturday prior to camp.

I am in for sure and am flexible on when/where I can arrive at on Saturday morning.

Looking forward to this.

I am also in. Been looking forward to this for a while.

I also wanted to go SOBO, starting perhaps at Parmenter Road's Interloken trailhead early on Saturday, and ending around S. Burnt Hill Pond/Gorge Ponds.

DuctTape
04-21-2014, 19:32
My status for attending has increased to 90%.

12Try...PM incoming

12trysomething
04-21-2014, 20:10
It sounds like we are going to have a good sized crew! Excellent news. I have attached a map that I have annotated with the general location of the camp site. You will see it about 2/3 of the way down a little left of center....the BIG purple box. I have bounced back and forth and around on where to start and I am now committing to Parmenter Rd trail head. I will be there at 8:30AM for anyone wanting to join. That will be about 12 miles or so to the camp site from there. There are a ton of options for parking, less miles and the such. Please PM me if you would like to exchange cell numbers.

See everyone on Saturday! It is go time..

greygorilla
04-21-2014, 20:50
I am in as well! See you at Parmenter trailhead. Sounds like it's gonna be a good time!

Miguel
04-24-2014, 07:54
So where exactly are you guys camping on Saturday night? Last year at the Frozen Fingers hang we camped near the north end of Fosters pond. From the picnic table at the north end of the pond you walk about 20 yards west on the Backbone trail and to your right you will find a grove of pine trees with almost unlimited hanging possibilities and it is very well protected. It's also very private and already has a couple of fire rings. It's a great spot for a group hang. Myself and a couple of friends may join you if we can figure out where you'll be camping.

Miguel

12trysomething
04-24-2014, 08:23
So where exactly are you guys camping on Saturday night? Last year at the Frozen Fingers hang we camped near the north end of Fosters pond. From the picnic table at the north end of the pond you walk about 20 yards west on the Backbone trail and to your right you will find a grove of pine trees with almost unlimited hanging possibilities and it is very well protected. It's also very private and already has a couple of fire rings. It's a great spot for a group hang. Myself and a couple of friends may join you if we can figure out where you'll be camping.

Miguel

I know just the area near Foster Pond you are talking about. I spent my birthday hang around there.

We are going to be just south of south burnt hill pond in a plantation pine area. If you refer to post #33 for the location and #36 for a map it may be of some help as well.

Hopefully you will be able to make it!

Cosmo
04-24-2014, 08:45

Miguel

I think we were tentatively planning on going a bit further south (to make for a longer hike) toward the Gorge Ponds/South Burnt Hill Pond area. I believe DuctTape mentioned that there's a good multi-person hang-worthy pine grove in that vicinity. There's also a cluster of side trails (Gorge Trail, e.g.) around there to explore if we end up at camp fairly early in the day, which I would expect if we leave around 0900 or so.

http://www.cnyhiking.com/FingerLakeNFmap.jpg

That said, I'm sure we could play-by-ear the exact location. I'm up/down for whatever. :shades:

Miguel
04-24-2014, 09:37
Does anyone know how far south of Burnt Hill Pond the grove of pines is located. FYI, Dunham Lean-to is located about a mile south of Burnt Hill Pond but I don't recall it being conducive to a group hang. It's been a while but I do recall a nice pine grove in that stretch which I'll bet is the one Duct Tape is referring to. It shouldn't be difficult to find you guys if you are between those two points. There are easy parking spots at both ends. Hope to see you there. I would be hiking in from the road near the camp site.

Miguel

DuctTape
04-24-2014, 09:46
Does anyone know how far south of Burnt Hill Pond the grove of pines is located. FYI, Dunham Lean-to is located about a mile south of Burnt Hill Pond but I don't recall it being conducive to a group hang. It's been a while but I do recall a nice pine grove in that stretch which I'll bet is the one Duct Tape is referring to. It shouldn't be difficult to find you guys if you are between those two points. There are easy parking spots at both ends. Hope to see you there. I would be hiking in from the road near the camp site.

Miguel

About 100 yards south of the pond.

DuctTape
04-24-2014, 17:57
So it looks like the roster of confirmed is:

DuctTape
Miguel
greygorilla
12trysomething
Cosmo
TheOakMonster

Who else?

Miguel
04-24-2014, 19:52
About 100 yards south of the pond.

100 yards.....that opens up a lot of "beverage" possibilities. Just sayin' :) Wouldn't want to break with tradition now would we Duct Tape. :)

DuctTape
04-24-2014, 19:57
100 yards.....that opens up a lot of "beverage" possibilities. Just sayin' :) Wouldn't want to break with tradition now would we Duct Tape. :)

I have my beverage selection already made as well as my dinner choice. Will bring enough to share. :)

12trysomething
04-27-2014, 15:21
Thanks for a great weekend everyone. I enjoyed getting to know each of you. DuctTape, thanks for the incredible selection of butcher fresh sausages you shared with everyone. I may be making a road trip to Rochester to build a supply!

I am going to work on the video trip report and post.

Thanks again,

Rob

12trysomething
04-27-2014, 20:19
Video wil be up shortly...

Cosmo
04-27-2014, 21:39
Video wil be up shortly...link -

That turned out really well, Rob. Great weekend and a pleasure meeting some of the local crew!

Miguel
04-27-2014, 23:09
Nice video Rob....it was fun hanging with you guys. I assume you intentionally neglected to film Saturday evening's festivities in order to protect he innocent. :)

Miguel (Bill, Pedro and Ann)

natureboy68
04-27-2014, 23:57
Great video again! Are you using a stickpic? With mine, I can't get the angle right so you can't see the trekking pole...

12trysomething
04-28-2014, 03:54
That turned out really well, Rob. Great weekend and a pleasure meeting some of the local crew!

Thanks Cosmo! It was a blast. Don't forget to PM me with your address.

Nice video Rob....it was fun hanging with you guys. I assume you intentionally neglected to film Saturday evening's festivities in order to protect he innocent. :)

Miguel (Bill, Pedro and Ann)

:shades: it was a great time, video wouldn't do it any justice! Say hi to the gang for me.

Great video again! Are you using a stickpic? With mine, I can't get the angle right so you can't see the trekking pole...

Appreciate it. Yes, my only recommendation would be to make sure the stickpic label is facing the way you want to shoot, the number is facing away. I hope you are healing quickly!

DuctTape
04-28-2014, 14:00
Good times. Great video. Lets do it again.

natureboy68
04-28-2014, 19:50
Appreciate it. Yes, my only recommendation would be to make sure the stickpic label is facing the way you want to shoot, the number is facing away. I hope you are healing quickly![/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I wont be able to hit the trails till the fall :(, I made my own stickpic out of a soda bottle cap, guess I'll fiddle with it some more...can't wait to see your N-P trail vid!

12trysomething
04-28-2014, 20:41
Appreciate it. Yes, my only recommendation would be to make sure the stickpic label is facing the way you want to shoot, the number is facing away. I hope you are healing quickly!

Thanks!! I wont be able to hit the trails till the fall :(, I made my own stickpic out of a soda bottle cap, guess I'll fiddle with it some more...can't wait to see your N-P trail vid![/QUOTE]

Give this a try.... http://youtu.be/PI3yteT15-0

natureboy68
04-28-2014, 21:12
thats awesome! gonna give that a try! intenseanglers videos are great! thanks!

Thanks!! I wont be able to hit the trails till the fall :(, I made my own stickpic out of a soda bottle cap, guess I'll fiddle with it some more...can't wait to see your N-P trail vid!

Give this a try.... http://youtu.be/PI3yteT15-0[/QUOTE]