PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite North Rim > June 2-5

Boots13
04-02-2014, 12:52
Got the confirmation yesterday, me and my girlfriend will be doing the Yosemite north rim trail first week of June. I still consider myself a novice backpacker and this will be my girlfriends second trip out (and her first time in Yosemite). Any advice for packing and hanging in Yosemite?

joefbtg28
04-02-2014, 13:49
Test both of your kits on a shorter jaunt first. Don't bring anything you are not 100% sure you will use. BEAR MACE, know how to use it, and keep it handy at all times. Should be a great time!

Kapang!
04-02-2014, 17:57
Bear canisters are mandatory in Yosemite. Bears aren't the problem. People are.

Please, only have food out when eating then make sure it's secured. Loksaks are a great idea. I worked there for two seasons and saw too many tragedies.

MAD777
04-02-2014, 18:41
Bears aren't the problem. People are.

That would make a great signature line! :thumbup:

whoismiketruong
04-03-2014, 19:02
Got the confirmation yesterday, me and my girlfriend will be doing the Yosemite north rim trail first week of June. I still consider myself a novice backpacker and this will be my girlfriends second trip out (and her first time in Yosemite). Any advice for packing and hanging in Yosemite?

Yo Dude!!

Pack some poles...the rock stairs are torture on the knees. Bear canisters are encouraged but if you wanna go light, stick with hanging your foods. Bring the bug nets...you'll need it. Stock up on the heavy deet bug juice. The only time you guys will be cold is at night...won't have fire every night. Other than that...just keep in mind the wildlife rules and have fun.

If you wanna do another one after...I'm heading out to Yosemite myself in July.

WhoIsMikeTruong

Boots13
04-03-2014, 20:01
Test both of your kits on a shorter jaunt first. Don't bring anything you are not 100% sure you will use. BEAR MACE, know how to use it, and keep it handy at all times. Should be a great time!

Girlfriend definitely wont leave the house without the mace :lol:

Boots13
04-03-2014, 20:03
Yo Dude!!

Pack some poles...the rock stairs are torture on the knees. Bear canisters are encouraged but if you wanna go light, stick with hanging your foods. Bring the bug nets...you'll need it. Stock up on the heavy deet bug juice. The only time you guys will be cold is at night...won't have fire every night. Other than that...just keep in mind the wildlife rules and have fun.

If you wanna do another one after...I'm heading out to Yosemite myself in July.

WhoIsMikeTruong

Hey man good advice. Im definitely interested in that july trip

Kapang!
04-03-2014, 21:16
Yo Dude!!

Bear canisters are encouraged but if you wanna go light, stick with hanging your foods.

WhoIsMikeTruong

Nope. They are MANDATORY for backcountry travel in Yosemite, unless you're traveling to campsites with bear lockers.

Here's a link to the YOSE food storage rules, regs and info.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

whoismiketruong
04-04-2014, 11:21
Nope. They are MANDATORY for backcountry travel in Yosemite, unless you're traveling to campsites with bear lockers.

Here's a link to the YOSE food storage rules, regs and info.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

In that case...Boots13, you can borrow my canister so you won't have to pay the $5 & $95 deposit at the ranger's office!!

Boots13
04-04-2014, 12:12
In that case...Boots13, you can borrow my canister so you won't have to pay the $5 & $95 deposit at the ranger's office!!

No worries I picked one up at rei last year when they had them on sale. Its still in the box just been waiting for this trip lol

whoismiketruong
04-04-2014, 13:12
No worries I picked one up at rei last year when they had them on sale. Its still in the box just been waiting for this trip lol

All good then!! It's gonna be fun!!

Boots13
04-07-2014, 13:55
Will 12' tree straps work most of the time?

whoismiketruong
04-07-2014, 19:20
Will 12' tree straps work most of the time?

That's what I carry most of the time. But you should be safe with those. Just bring some extra lengths of cordage to be safe.

lori
04-07-2014, 21:47
Ahem. Not sure where you got the idea there is a deposit on bear can rentals. There isn't.

Bear cans are mandatory and bear spray is ILLEGAL and completely unnecessary in Yosemite. Guess how many deaths related to wild black bears in California there have been? NONE. zero. Zip. Injuries have all been related to people who can't store food properly and don't take habituated bears for what they are - huge scavengers looking for easy calories.

Store food and hygiene items and trash inside the canister - including lip balm, sunscreen or anything else you put on skin - and stick the can 50 feet from the tent. I look for tree wells, the indents left by falling pines, so the canister won't get rolled off a cliff or into a waterway.

Don't leave packs unattended, either. A friend had his trip ended abruptly when a bear took off with the entire pack when he set it down and walked a ways to pee. Ripped everything up looking for food, destroyed his bag, tent and pack.