PDA

View Full Version : ME>Maine Saco River Kayak/Canoe Camping Trip May 17-18

atrane21
04-11-2014, 07:40
I'm looking to do a kayak camping trip, something i've never done before. I was looking at floating the saco and do a night or 2 to see how it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips as to where to go or how to go about this?
Also, if anyone is interested in coming along we can make a nice little trip out of it!

Update: Date - May 17-18
Saco river
Put in at Swans Falls and take out at route 160 in Brownfield. This is 19 miles.

Maine Saco River Kayak/Canoe Camping Trip May 17-18, registration form (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WGTCVZxhaQgXU0QSKYfMfrLiSrlVNFc1kyVBOe38Uts/edit#gid=0)

Snaggletooth
04-11-2014, 07:57
I may be interested

zappa870
04-11-2014, 07:59
I'm looking to do a kayak camping trip, something i've never done before. I was looking at floating the saco and do a night or 2 to see how it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips as to where to go or how to go about this?
Also, if anyone is interested in coming along we can make a nice little trip out of it!

That should be a great trip, having said that I've never done a kayak trip. A friend and I were talking about going up to Lake Umbagog to kayak fish and also fish the Rapid river.

atrane21
04-11-2014, 08:02
It seems like it would be a great time.
If someone wants to go along and has a way to transport kayaks (aka a truck) I can get kayaks for $30 for a whole weekend here on base. Which is dirt cheap compared to any where else.

Snaggletooth
04-11-2014, 08:38
I use a fishing kayak. May not be able to keep up. I can't do crazy river flips and all that.

atrane21
04-11-2014, 08:55
i'm not looking to do crazy rapids and all that. I was looking for just a nice float down river to a primitive camp spot to setup for the night.

Snaggletooth
04-11-2014, 09:09
Perfect, sounds good to me.

raiffnuke
04-11-2014, 10:20
I may be interested.

R3l@x
04-11-2014, 10:30
Depending on when this is I'm interested and might be able to talk my brother into going. Our last trip on the Allagash was great.

atrane21
04-11-2014, 10:34
I'm open to dates, as i'm free almost every weekend, so whatever works for others works for me. I will have to figure out how to transport the kayak, but other than that i should be good to go.

Snaggletooth
04-11-2014, 10:46
I'm off Sundays, Mondays. I can request a Saturday if needed.

R3l@x
04-11-2014, 10:48
I'm open to dates, as i'm free almost every weekend, so whatever works for others works for me. I will have to figure out how to transport the kayak, but other than that i should be good to go.

One of the things to consider is water level when planning. I'm not familiar with this river, there may be better times of the year to do this. Do you know what section your looking at?

atrane21
04-11-2014, 11:12
Oldsoldier said he has done this float tons of times and suggested to do it BEFORE summer starts. Once summer kicks in it get super crowded and a lot of partying and craziness. Water would still be quite cold but maybe we could try for next month sometime? I think the water level would still be plenty high enough and it shouldn't be to crowded as it won't be tourist season yet.
I'm open to any section, looks like theres a few nice spots to put in and take out.

attroll
04-11-2014, 17:04
I am now living on route 160 in Denmark Maine, which is less then three miles form the Saco River. The river is high right now but not as high as it has been in past years.
I may be interested in this trip but it depends on the dates. Where are you looking at for putting in and out at? What dates are you thinking?

atrane21
04-11-2014, 17:17
I dont know the area and couldnt find a ton of information online so im open to suggestions. I was hoping to get some info here.

attroll
04-11-2014, 20:50
There several places to put in at. It all depends on how far you want to go and how many miles we want to paddle per day.

Most people that do the Saco here in the summer just float down stream with the current and drink beer.
I don't think that is what we are talking about doing that. I think we are talking about kayaking and paddling and hammock camping.
I am also assuming that we are talking about making this a two day trip with one overnight, right?
We need to decide on how many miles we are thinking about paddling per day?

We could put in at the following locations;
Swans Falls in Fryeburg.
Canal Bridge on route 5.
Route 302 south of Fryeburg.
Route 160 in Brownfield. I live 2.9 miles form this.
Hiram.

Distances

Most people put in at Swans falls and take out at route 302, about 10.5 miles.
We could put in at Swans Falls and take out at route 160 in Brownfield. This is 19 miles. I also live 2.9 miles from the Brownfield take out point. This might me our best option.
Brownfield to Hiram is 14 miles.

Deadphans
04-11-2014, 20:52
Maine gazateer is the best and will be your great friend and guide to portages and campsites. Can be found at many gas stations and many other stores throughout the state. I suggest that for sure.

atrane21
04-12-2014, 05:46
Attroll- great info!!
I agree with actually getting some distance in and not just floating. Dont want to rush through either but i think 2 days 1 night we could cover a lot of mileage.
The 19 miles from swans falls to brownfield sounds great. We just need to organize drop off and pick up vehicles and figure out a nice camp spot somewhere along that route. Maybe try and find a spot about the halfway point?

sunshower
04-12-2014, 07:45
We are in! We've been wanting to go this for a long time.

attroll
04-12-2014, 07:47
I have kayaked from Swan Falls to route 302 before a few years ago. It is 10 miles but with the small current it goes fast. It would probably take us less then four hours easily.

Since I live so close we could park cars at my house and work out the shuttling from there.

My suggestion would be possibly to do it on May 17 - 18. I don't think it would be a good idea to do it the following weekend because it is Memorial Day weekend and there will be a lot of people on the river that weekend. This is just an idea.

Here is some more information I came across. I will look into what it takes to get a fire permit.

Destination-If you have your own canoe, how long of a trip do you want to take, use the maps and charts above? Where are you going to start and end? This will depend on how long and how much you want to travel or paddle. Check maps above for mileage and access information. Are you leaving a vehicle at the other end or are you arranging a pick up from a canoe livery etc?
Overnight trips-Where are you staying? There are some non posted private beaches where you can stay if respectful and carry out what you bring in or there are some very nice campgrounds that you can paddle to and have the amenities you need, such as outhouses, dumpsters, stores, picnic tables and more. There is a FEE at these campgrounds, again check our website or call for more information.
Life vests are required for every person in the boat. 10 years of age and under must wear them!
Fire permits are required for sandbars and beaches only. Fires in the woods are not allowed.
Make sure you have the necessary fishing licenses and boat registrations. All boats or crafts with motors must be registered and have a milfoil sticker. Make sure all motors and boats are clean to prevent the spread of invasive plants.
The amount of alcohol being transported from out of state will be monitored as there are limits. You can not transport more than 1 gal of wine, 1gal spirit, 30 pack of beer per vehicle into Maine. No kegs allowed on the river.
Firewood can not be transported from out of state due to the invasive insects that are threatening our trees and spreading in New England.
Fireworks are illegal along the Saco River.
Parking-areas along the Saco do charge a fee. All money raised in these parking areas go back into the river for cleanup, education, trash removal and law enforcement.
Weather and river conditions-always check for the latest weather and river conditions as they can change overnight, heavy rain can cause rising rivers very quickly.
Pack accordingly, bring sunscreen, bug repellent and rain gear if necessary.
DRIVERS SECURE YOUR KEYS, CLIP TO YOUR CANOE OR KAYAK OR EVEN, SECURED TO YOUR COOLER.
Everyone on the trip should know the plan and where the vehicles are left in case you are seperated.
Have an emergency phone number written down in your vehicle or in a safe place in case of loss of cell phones!

atrane21
04-12-2014, 07:47
Does anyone have suggestions on dates? Im thinking may might work out good so its not to crowded out there?

attroll
04-12-2014, 07:49
Does anyone have suggestions on dates? Im thinking may might work out good so its not to crowded out there?
I posted at the same time you did it looks like. I was suggesting May 17 - 18. If you read my last post.

atrane21
04-12-2014, 07:49
Yeah I just read it. That weekend works fine for me.

Snaggletooth
04-12-2014, 08:33
I posted at the same time you did it looks like. I was suggesting May 17 - 18. If you read my last post.

That weekend should be good for me.

jofish
04-12-2014, 08:41
I'm also interested in this trip. Sounds amazing. And the area is great; my grandparents have a place in Porter.

atrane21
04-12-2014, 10:21
Attroll could u update title with date and location and ill update OP with the info.

dingbat
04-12-2014, 11:33
Interested if you're ok with having a canoe along. Also would have an additional seat for someone if they'd like.

Just for reference on the mileage, a buddy and I did 50 miles (of river) on the Connecticut a couple seasons ago in less that two days of paddling. This was two of us in a heavily laden, 14' canoe during fairly low water in September. Obviously a different river, but I would think 19 miles in two days would leave plenty of time for being at camp and checking out some of the ponds etc. around there.

atrane21
04-12-2014, 12:31
Would he glad to have u dingbat. Anyone is welcome, kayak or canoe.
Also as I stated before if anyone needs a kayak or even a canoe I can rent them on base for the weekend for really cheap. Just let me know and we can work something out.

Also found this little mileage image for the area. If everyone wants to do more mileage then thats fine too.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/6a2e7etu.jpg

If we start fairly early Saturday we could get a good bit in.

dingbat
04-12-2014, 13:00
I like the 19 mile distance. Especially with the way that section of river loops back on it's self. Makes logistics a lot easier if someone gets soaked/cold and needs to pull out. I was setting a dock in the Connecticut today and it was downright icy. Hurt to have hands in water more that a few moments. Rivers will be cold for a while yet. Also, leaves more time for having fun as opposed to grinding away to tick off miles.

I have a second canoe that I could get on water if someone from this way had a way to transport it. It has a little transom so it's not the slipperiest boat on the water but isn't as slow as a flat bottom. Would need paddles. Older version of this guy: http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreation/rogue_river_154SS/

MAD777
04-12-2014, 14:39
This sounds like a fun trip! I'm going to be in New England that week but I'll be at my son's college graduation in Boston that weekend.

attroll
04-12-2014, 20:23
My thoughts are that we should stick with putting in at Swan Falls. We can do a 10 mile day and find a sand bar with some trees and set up camp someplace after route 302. Then we can have a camp fire with some good food and a few beers and talk about the day.

Atrane21, I change the title of this thread. If you want it worded differently, please let me know.

atrane21
04-12-2014, 20:29
That sounds good to me.
And the title is fine, thanks.

sunshower
04-12-2014, 21:28
We have a wedding to attend that weekend-- enjoy!!!

Snaggletooth
04-13-2014, 11:39
It looks like you can mountain bike in along the river paths if you wanted to instead of paddle?

atrane21
04-13-2014, 11:41
Thatd be a fun trip too! Been trying to rig of something for my mtb to carry gear and such. Not a fan of all the sattle bags.

attroll
04-13-2014, 16:24
It looks like you can mountain bike in along the river paths if you wanted to instead of paddle?
Where did you get this information from? I have never heard of this and I see no way where it is possible.

atrane21
04-13-2014, 16:31
So it looks like the following people are in:
Myself
Attroll
Gastar
Jofish
Dingbat
Rilmoigan

Looks like a good group!
Is there any other details we're forgetting?

GT
04-13-2014, 17:01
Looks very similar to the Baker River here in new hampster. I may be in, depends on a few things. Wont the water be running fast and high in early may.

BMK9m4rXAU0

http://www.sacorivercanoe.com/sacoriv.htm

Rilmoigan
04-13-2014, 18:39
So it looks like the following people are in:
Myself
Attroll
Gastar
Jofish
Dingbat

Looks like a good group!
Is there any other details we're forgetting?

You can count me in; I am free and am looking forward to this outing tremendously. I haven't been able to get out for awhile, but now, I can!

I will follow this thread closely, counting down the days...

atrane21
04-13-2014, 18:40
Great!! Glad to have you.
Edited post above to add ur name.

SkyPainter
04-13-2014, 18:52
I may also be in! I have a "Pota-bote" and might be able to make this trip! Can take another hanger in the boat. Lemme know.

~ SkyPainter

atrane21
04-13-2014, 19:03
Good deal... look forward to hangin with u again sky

atrane21
04-13-2014, 19:08
Does anyone think waders would be needed since the water will so cold still?? Ive only been in a kayak a handful of times before but I know u always get a little wet. Even if its just getting in and out of the boat.

Snaggletooth
04-13-2014, 19:21
Where did you get this information from? I have never heard of this and I see no way where it is possible.
I don't know I was asking, I was watching this guys Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx37WbjUrEo

R3l@x
04-14-2014, 07:10
I am at best a tentative for this. I can't clear my weekends right now until I'm much closer.

raiffnuke
04-14-2014, 07:11
I am at best a tentative for this. I can't clear my weekends right now until I'm much closer.

That makes two of us. :)

attroll
04-14-2014, 07:43
I don't know I was asking, I was watching this guys Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx37WbjUrEo

This video is deceiving. This is just near or around the portages.

attroll
04-14-2014, 07:45
I changed the title of the thread to "Maine Saco River Kayak/Canoe Camping Trip May 17-18" and also created a signup sheet in atrane21's first post in this thread.

dingbat
04-14-2014, 08:04
Does anyone think waders would be needed since the water will so cold still?? Ive only been in a kayak a handful of times before but I know u always get a little wet. Even if its just getting in and out of the boat.

I'm planning on possibly bringing a wetsuit along depending on how cold the water is.

atrane21
04-14-2014, 08:24
I changed the title of the thread to "Maine Saco River Kayak/Canoe Camping Trip May 17-18" and also created a signup sheet in atrane21's first post in this thread.

Thanks for the help.

JoshuaTrees
04-14-2014, 19:12
wow 30 bucks for the whole weekend that's a sweet deal. definitely up for this type of trip some other time. If I'm driving up that far its gotta be for more than one night though. :shades:

atrane21
04-14-2014, 19:15
wow 30 bucks for the whole weekend that's a sweet deal. definitely up for this type of trip some other time. If I'm driving up that far its gotta be for more than one night though. :shades:

If ur interested and wana get an extra day I can take off friday and we can head up early then meet up with everyone Saturday morning. Make it 3day/2 night.

atrane21
04-15-2014, 11:33
So i went to get some information about the kayaks they have for rent here on base. I have choices of sit on top or sit in and sizes from 9ft-14ft. Any suggestions on what would be best for this trip? I was thinking a small sit-in just to make it easier to haul but i'm new to the kayak thing so i don't know.

attroll
04-15-2014, 12:51
I think it is personal preference. I own two sit in types. I have never tried a sit on top.

dingbat
04-15-2014, 14:07
Check if the sit on tops have gear hatches. If they don't, everything has to lash to the deck. Ok, but weight is up high. Also, the sit on tops have holes in the middle for water to drain from seats. If the load is approaching the weight limit for the boat, water will be oscillating in and out of these holes. Makes for a wet ride. To compensate for the weight on top thing, sit on tops are usually broader and more stable, which equates to being slower as well. Traditional hulls take a little more finesse to get in and out of, but tend to work a little better once you get the hang of them in my opinion.

Also, all other things being equal, longer = faster and more stable and more capable of carrying gear. Shorter would be easier to maneuver and easier to car-top. Up to 14' you'd be hard pressed to find a kayak one average guy couldn't lift by himself with ease.

atrane21
04-15-2014, 14:17
Thanks for the info! I think i'm going to go with a sit-in style with dry storage compartment. Does length really matter? I'm thinking 9 or 10 ft?

Snaggletooth
04-15-2014, 14:19
I never hated any style kayak i've used if that helps.

dingbat
04-15-2014, 14:45
Does length really matter?

:laugh:

I'd go at least with the 10'......and I think gastar has offered the best wisdom you can possibly get on the subject.

jofish
04-15-2014, 23:12
I'm with dingbat:

Also, all other things being equal, longer = faster and more stable and more capable of carrying gear.

I say go for the longer kayaks if they have more storage space.

Also, just an FYI for anyone who hasn't done a lot of kayak/canoe camping (may be preaching to the choir...); you will need dry bags for any gear you don't want to get wet (ie pretty much all of it).

R3l@x
04-16-2014, 07:13
Size does matter on a longer trip with more variation in water but for an overnighter on this river I think you could get away with a shorter kayak if you needed to. In my opinion a 12 - 14 footer works great for gear storage and all around performance and would be my preference.

atrane21
04-16-2014, 07:50
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really looking forward this trip!!

attroll
04-17-2014, 16:34
I drove down the road from my house today to Saco River to the Brownfield take out and took some pictures.

atrane21
04-17-2014, 16:50
Well it looks quite deep still! Haha hopefully in the next few weeks itll come down a good bit.

dingbat
04-18-2014, 12:39
Flow on the Connecticut (at the VT/NH/MA border) is expected to drop by half over the next 3 days barring any unexpected, significant precipitation events. I would expect similar for the Saco.

From those pics the Saco looks like a death-trap right now.

atrane21
04-18-2014, 13:25
Just makes it more of a rush kayaking down that! haha

mudsocks
04-18-2014, 13:36
Due to the large snow-pack and recent rain Maine has seen a lot of flooding lately from run-off. I was in Dover-Foxcroft and Dexter Wednesday and both the Piscataquis River and East Branch Sebasticook Rivers were overflowing their banks. Apparently the St. John and Aroostook are at record levels too.

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/flood-warnings-remain-up-in-northern-maine/

Not sure I'd call the Saco a death trap though...

Given the cold winter and amount of snowpack left on the mountains I think we are going to see high rivers this year.

mudsocks
04-18-2014, 13:39
I drove down the road from my house today to Saco River to the Brownfield take out and took some pictures.

Nice pictures. We were in Brownfield Saturday, we hiked Burnt Meadow Mountain with the kids.

dingbat
04-18-2014, 13:50
Not sure I'd call the Saco a death trap though...

I look at those pics, and think of the dead-fall from the winter getting picked up off the banks, and see nothing but strainers, both sides, as far as you can see. When the rivers by me look like that, it's not uncommon for people to need rescuing.

Pretbek
04-21-2014, 17:55
My attendance at the Smoked Butt hang in Durham may be falling victim to unforeseen circumstances... That's sad, but it does allow me to move that free time to this trip. And that is very good!

This kayak trip sounds like a lot of fun that I would very much like to share in.
I can't guarantee just yet that I will be there, but I am already looking where I can buy some dry bags.

atrane21
04-21-2014, 17:58
Would be great to hang with you again pretbek. If ud like to come up early and get an extra day since its such a long drive let me know. We can work something out.
Im looking for drybags too. If u find any good deals let me know

dragon383
04-21-2014, 18:41
I just caught this thread and have been wanting to try out my kayak on the saco, unfortunetly I work weekends and just cant get off. Atrane21, you live close to me. Im in Sanford. Please take lots of pics and post them up for us all that cant attend.

atrane21
04-21-2014, 20:13
Will do!
U are close by. If u ever want to get out in the woods for a little let me know. We can do something local.

Pretbek
04-22-2014, 18:44
Would be great to hang with you again pretbek. If ud like to come up early and get an extra day since its such a long drive let me know. We can work something out.
Im looking for drybags too. If u find any good deals let me know

I haven't found deals, but I did learn that a bunch of 10 and 15 liter dry bags is much better to pack a kayak than one or two 30-45 liter bags.

Oh, and I need to find a PFD somewhere.

I will come up on Friday to cut the trip in pieces. I haven't thought about how far to go or where to sleep. All I need is two trees.

Pretbek
04-22-2014, 18:46
Double tap.

atrane21
04-22-2014, 18:49
I was thinking the same thing about smaller bags instead of big ones. Im going to stop by basspro in Harrisburg (im in ur neck of the woods this week) and see what they have. I have a gift certificate there.

Well let me know if u need a place to crash and we can work something out.

dragon383
04-22-2014, 19:28
Will do!
U are close by. If u ever want to get out in the woods for a little let me know. We can do something local.

I will indeed, im itching to go fishing too!

dingbat
04-22-2014, 20:05
I haven't found deals, but I did learn that a bunch of 10 and 15 liter dry bags is much better to pack a kayak than one or two 30-45 liter bags.

Oh, and I need to find a PFD somewhere.

I use a 115 liter portage pack (in a canoe ) and a 20 liter for my ditty bag. The 20 liter bags are a real handy size and will actually hold some gear if they will fit in the boats you guys are using. My wife and I can do a weekend on the scooter with just 2 20s as saddle bags. Just clothes, flip-flops, rain gear, and toiletries, no camping gear. 10 is awfully small.

atrane, do the rentals come with pfd's?

Snaggletooth
04-22-2014, 21:04
I have one extra PFD

atrane21
04-22-2014, 21:33
I would imagine they do come with them and I can probably grab an extra or 2 if needed.

attroll
04-23-2014, 03:24
Walmart use to have dry bags.

Pretbek
04-23-2014, 08:15
Thanks all. I'll hold off on the PFD and check out Walmart too for the dry bags.

atrane21
04-23-2014, 08:28
Walmart did have some decent looking ones last time I was there. Couple different sizes for about 30 bucks and under. They were the backpack style drybags

Pretbek
04-24-2014, 22:12
Walmart did have some decent looking ones last time I was there. Couple different sizes for about 30 bucks and under. They were the backpack style drybags

I might use my modest REI dividend towards a dry bag. I wouldn't know what else to spend that small an amount on otherwise.

atrane21
04-25-2014, 07:21
Thats why I was going to check basspro. I only have a couple bucks left on my gift card and not sure what else to use it on.

jofish
04-29-2014, 08:28
Aw, crap. Just got invited to an in-town conference that I can't say no to. Alas. I am definitely up for another time though!

atrane21
04-29-2014, 10:30
So i see a few people want to show up friday. Any plans on where to stay. I'd love to get up there friday instead of driving saturday AM.

dingbat
04-29-2014, 19:58
How 'bout stealthing it on that island across from the Swan Falls access?

atrane21
04-29-2014, 20:02
Not familiar with the area so I have no idea ???

dingbat
04-29-2014, 20:14
Well, I can see from Google maps there are trees on the island.....so that's a start, right?

atrane21
04-29-2014, 20:17
Haha yeah sounds good. Ur supposedly allowed to camp most places along the saco so maybe it wouldnt have to be stealth.

dingbat
04-29-2014, 20:22
Nice. Maybe a call to the boat shop up there would get us sorted out.
I'm flat out through the weekend, but wouldn't mind doing some leg work next week.

Pretbek
04-30-2014, 10:59
So i see a few people want to show up friday. Any plans on where to stay. I'd love to get up there friday instead of driving saturday AM.

Yeah good idea, we can just lounge at our campfire on Saturday morning to wait for the people who drive in.
Did you pick a time for put in? Or is that determined by when we can pick up the boats?

atrane21
04-30-2014, 11:27
We haven't discussed a time to meet sat AM so if anyone has suggestions on times feel free to pitch in. Like i said i'm hoping to be up there friday evening so whoever has the furthest to drive saturday AM just let us know and we'll work from there.
Do you need a kayak pretbek? I'm sure you can rent them up there if need be (not sure of price, time, etc) or i can get them here on base for cheap but i can only haul 1 in the prius. I plan on picking mine up here friday AM so i'm ready to go as soon as i'm done with work.

atrane21
04-30-2014, 11:46
From looking at the map and reading some things online, i don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to hang friday night on that big island near swans falls. If anyone from that area knows any different please let us know.

Pretbek
04-30-2014, 12:14
We haven't discussed a time to meet sat AM so if anyone has suggestions on times feel free to pitch in. Like i said i'm hoping to be up there friday evening so whoever has the furthest to drive saturday AM just let us know and we'll work from there.
Do you need a kayak pretbek? I'm sure you can rent them up there if need be (not sure of price, time, etc) or i can get them here on base for cheap but i can only haul 1 in the prius. I plan on picking mine up here friday AM so i'm ready to go as soon as i'm done with work.

Yessir I do need a kayak but I don't own a roof rack. So unless we can deflate it and fold it up :D I need to figure out how to get it from base to river.
SilvrSurfr transports his canoe on shaped foam blocks on the roof of his Neon, perhaps I should look into blocks like that. Just add straps, which I have, and done.

atrane21
04-30-2014, 12:19
Yessir I do need a kayak but I don't own a roof rack. So unless we can deflate it and fold it up :D I need to figure out how to get it from base to river.
SilvrSurfr transports his canoe on shaped foam blocks on the roof of his Neon, perhaps I should look into blocks like that. Just add straps, which I have, and done.

that is possible, i've seen that done before. Do you have a time frame of when you're trying to come up (thursday night, friday am, etc?)

dingbat
04-30-2014, 12:38

I still have an open seat in my canoe if that helps you out.

Pretbek
04-30-2014, 12:51
that is possible, i've seen that done before. Do you have a time frame of when you're trying to come up (thursday night, friday am, etc?)

I have only Friday off, so I will start driving Friday morning, possibly after needing to drive kids to school. To Fryeburg it's 8 driving hours (470 miles), so it will probably take me 10 hours. So let's say 7pm arrival at Fryeburg when not detouring for kayak pickup.

In stead of driving the kayak 85 miles from base (Portsmouth, right?) up to Swans Falls, I am very much considering renting from Saco River Canoe in Fryeburg (http://www.sacorivercanoe.com/rates.htm). That will cost $45 per day in stead of $30 for the weekend, but they do drop off and pick up at Swans Falls for free.
Not having to pick up and drop off a kayak from base will save me a lot of time on Friday and Sunday. There, I just talked myself into it: I'm renting from Saco River Canoe.
Edit:
Hmm, I still need to figure out how to get the kayak from our take out back to Swans Falls, I guess.

I still have an open seat in my canoe if that helps you out.

I certainly appreciate the offer, but I've recently done a fun canoe trip and I think that this time I want to scratch the kayak itch again.

atrane21
04-30-2014, 12:54
If I had a better way to haul them I would definitely take it up there for you but since I drive a prius that doesnt really help. Sorry. Haha.

atrane21
04-30-2014, 12:55
Oh and btw.... im REALLY looking forward to this trip!!!

dingbat
04-30-2014, 13:04
How far is it from base to the river? I could drop my boat and then shuttle a few kayaks on the trailer maybe. Or stack a couple on on the way up?

atrane21
04-30-2014, 13:08
close to 2 hours drive

Pretbek
04-30-2014, 13:09
How far is it from base to the river? I could drop my boat and then shuttle a few kayaks on the trailer maybe. Or stack a couple on on the way up?

If base is Portsmouth, it's only 85 miles. One way. :p

dingbat
04-30-2014, 13:22
Yeah, screw that. I'll look at if I can add a boat on the way up.

atrane21
04-30-2014, 13:29
dingbat what time are you shootin for to head up that way?

dingbat
04-30-2014, 14:15
Hadn't given it too much thought yet. Assuming I don't get caught up in a work debacle, I should be able to get to Portsmouth as early as 9 or 9:30 on Fri.
What were you thinking?

atrane21
04-30-2014, 19:45
9 or 930 am or pm? Im hoping to get out of work by lunch time but u never know with the navy! Haha I thought about putting in for the day off.

dingbat
04-30-2014, 21:49
Am, but noon would be fine too.

Pretbek
05-01-2014, 10:36
OK, so where do we meet and where do we hang on Friday night? Dinner at the campfire on Friday? Oh speaking of which, we seem to need a Fire Permit for our group, do you guys know anything about that?

Edit:
Where:
On the meeting place: I'm coming in so late that I can just call and ask "where are you guys?".
On camp location: Dingbat's suggestion of hanging on the island sounds really cool. Dingbat, will you taxi me and my stuff in your canoe?
Dinner:
My preference is dinner in camp, much better than sitting in any commercial establishment. I can bring marinated chicken and a little grill-grate from my toaster oven.
Fire permit:
Answered by atrane below.

atrane21
05-01-2014, 10:43
All good questions... and open to suggestions! HA!
We can grab a fire permit (for free) at the swans falls campground area from what i read. so we can snag one when we get up there.

attroll
05-01-2014, 15:52
Haha yeah sounds good. Ur supposedly allowed to camp most places along the saco so maybe it wouldnt have to be stealth.
The rule as I have been told is that as long as there are no signs posted you can camp anywhere on the Saco River.
As for campfires. You have to have campfires on a sandbar and you have to have a permit. I am going into town tomorrow (Fryeburg) and will try to check on a fire permit.

atrane21
05-01-2014, 16:21
Thats what I read online as well.

dingbat
05-01-2014, 17:47
Dingbat, will you taxi me and my stuff in your canoe?

I'd be glad to, however, I just found out my daughter has a band concert that Fri. night. Depending on what time it is, I may be up late Friday night, or not 'til Saturday morning.
Are you looking for a seat for the whole trip/weekend, or just out to the island for the night? Glad to have you (and your stuff) in the boat, just might not be there to get you out to the island for Friday. Sorry for the confusion.:cursing:

atrane21
05-01-2014, 18:16
Pretbek would u like me to grab ur kayak up there for you? U said they deliver it so I could hang on to it for u until u get up there. U can either tow it over to the island with me and bring it over once ur there or if its small enough I could toss it in my car after I take mine out.
Or u we can try and both fit in 1 kayak to get over to the island!! Haha thatd be entertaining!!
We can def figure something out.

Pretbek
05-02-2014, 06:28
Dingbat I will rent a kayak, so it would have been just to ferry over to the island.

Atrane I was planning on getting the kayak on Saturday, otherwise it will cost me another $45 on Friday just to get to the island.
I know it's less adventurous, but could we overnight on a shore-side sand bar, in stead of the island?

atrane21
05-02-2014, 07:01
Dingbat I will rent a kayak, so it would have been just to ferry over to the island.

Atrane I was planning on getting the kayak on Saturday, otherwise it will cost me another $45 on Friday just to get to the island.
I know it's less adventurous, but could we overnight on a shore-side sand bar, in stead of the island?

that's fine with me, i'm not picky. I'm thinking it's just going to be you and me friday night so where ever we can find a spot sounds good. I'll take a look on the map and see what i can find.

atrane21
05-02-2014, 08:12
i think i found a nice spot with easy parking and access. check out 44°01'05.3"N 70°59'27.5"W on the map.

i'm putting in for friday off and heading up after i pick up my kayak in the AM. I think i'm going to put in at redstone and float down to westons bridge to camp and meet up with pretbek for the night. It's a total of 6.7 miles. Pretbek would you mind giving me a ride to pick up my car saturday AM before we get moving? I figured if i'm renting the kayak i might as well get a full 3 days out of it! haha

here's a nice little map with some good details on it.
http://www.troop284acton.org/files/file/sacoriver.pdf

Do we have a meetup time/place for saturday AM? Attroll do you have any inputs on that? I guess we need a few people to park at the other end of our trip too so we have transportation back up.

attroll
05-02-2014, 19:40
I went and checked on the fire permits today. We can get permits at the Jocky Cap Store. The permits are free but they would like a donation for the volunteer fire department. I will go back this week and get a permit and have it ready. Here are the points of interest.

Location to get fire permit
44° 1'13.54"N 70°57'51.40"W

Put in point
44° 2'17.20"N 70°58'53.42"W

Parking for the Start
44° 2'7.72"N 70°58'34.29"W

Take out at End and parking
43°57'19.81"N 70°52'57.51"W

Me
43°58'5.14"N 70°49'56.69"W

atrane21
05-02-2014, 19:44
Thanks for all the research and info! I can stop and grab the a permit that friday if u want since ill need one friday night.

How does 9 or 10 am launch time sound for Saturday morning?

Rilmoigan
05-02-2014, 20:37
All,

I am looking to arrive late morning on Friday. My drive from where I live is going to be about 4 hours or just under. Atrane21, PM me as it gets closer to "launch day" and we can set a meet-up point. The put-in, maybe? I'm flexible.

I can't wait to get out and do this.

atrane21
05-02-2014, 20:41
Friday night we're looking at staying up river from swans falls. Coordinates is a few posts above. Im floating down about 6-7 miles friday if ur interested. Ill be there late morning.

Snaggletooth
05-02-2014, 21:31
$56.00 for a NH fishing license Ouch! Chaz does your master license cover MA only?

atrane21
05-03-2014, 08:39
U can get a 2 or 3 day license for about $20 I think

Pretbek
05-03-2014, 08:59
Depending on how successful gastar and others are, do I need an out of state fish-eating license?

attroll
05-03-2014, 09:19
Don't get a NH fishing license if your going to be with us Saturday and Sunday because we'll be in Maine.

atrane21
05-03-2014, 09:20
Haha good call!! Didn't even think of that.

Snaggletooth
05-03-2014, 11:41
Don't get a NH fishing license if your going to be with us Saturday and Sunday because we'll be in Maine.

Ok , good to know for some reason I thought it was NH at that section I'll check Maine requirements.

Snaggletooth
05-03-2014, 12:00
U can get a 2 or 3 day license for about $20 I think

Yeah but value wise that's a horrible deal.

attroll
05-04-2014, 07:59
Ok , good to know for some reason I thought it was NH at that section I'll check Maine requirements.
From what I have gathered, those of you coming up Friday are staying on the NH side of the Saco River. But where are Starting in Maine on Saturday morning.

attroll
05-04-2014, 08:05
I just added two more columns to the signup sheet titled "Vehicles". This should help us figure out how many vehicles we need to spot and how many kayaks and canoes we have also.

Saco River signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WGTCVZxhaQgXU0QSKYfMfrLiSrlVNFc1kyVBOe38Uts/edit#gid=0)

attroll
05-04-2014, 08:07
Is anyone else bringing there wife or significant other?

atrane21
05-04-2014, 12:52
Thanks for all the help attroll!

Pretbek
05-04-2014, 17:10
Is anyone else bringing there wife or significant other?

He's significant, but not my "other": I'm still trying to convince my 14 year old son to come along, but he says he isn't sure yet. We will see.

attroll
05-04-2014, 20:57
No one has actually come up with a meetup time on Saturday yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on a time? I was thinking maybe 10 am.

Pretbek
05-04-2014, 22:34
No one has actually come up with a meetup time on Saturday yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on a time? I was thinking maybe 10 am.

O rly?

Thanks for all the research and info! I can stop and grab the a permit that friday if u want since ill need one friday night.

How does 9 or 10 am launch time sound for Saturday morning?

Looks like 10 is OK.

atrane21
05-05-2014, 07:20
Won't let me edit OP but here's all the info.

Saturday May 17 @ 10AM Launch Time
Put in - Swans Falls - 44° 2'17.20"N 70°58'53.42"W
Parking - 44° 2'7.72"N 70°58'34.29"W

Sunday May 18
Take out/Parking - 43°57'19.81"N 70°52'57.51"W

Early Bird Friday Float/Camp
Friday Float Start - 44°00'04.0"N 71°05'00.2"W (Please contact me if you'd like to join. As of now it is just me.)
Friday Night Camp Spot - 44°01'05.3"N 70°59'27.5"W

Fire permit will already be in hand friday morning.
Fishing license - Make sure to get Maine not New Hampshire
Map of area - http://www.troop284acton.org/files/file/sacoriver.pdf

Please fill out all info on sign up sheet so we know how to plan for parking, transport, etc. Sign Up Sheet Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WGTCVZxhaQgXU0QSKYfMfrLiSrlVNFc1kyVBOe38Uts/edit#gid=0)

If i'm missing any information, please let me know.

attroll
05-05-2014, 10:52
I need to verify the parking for the put in before then. I will get that done soon.

atrane21
05-06-2014, 07:07
pretbek.. if you're still looking for dry bags check out walmart. I just picked up one 20L and a 3 pack (8L,4L,2L) for $13. They seem to be pretty nice quality, especially for the price. I think i'm going to grab one more 20L bag since it's only 5 bucks.

Pretbek
05-06-2014, 08:22
Attroll, my car won't need to be counted, because the kayak rental place will let me park at their facility when I go get the kayak.
Atrane thanks for the tip, I will go look.

atrane21
05-06-2014, 08:51
Attroll, my car won't need to be counted, because the kayak rental place will let me park at their facility when I go get the kayak.
Atrane thanks for the tip, I will go look.

here's the ones i picked up...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Set-of-3-Ultimate-Dry-Sacks/10928125
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Valuables-Dry-Bag-20L/17017909

atrane21
05-06-2014, 11:30
10 day forecast is almost in range for the weekend!! i really hope it's a nice weekend. :shades:

dingbat
05-07-2014, 16:38
I'm out. Wicked bummed, I was really looking forward to this trip.

atrane21
05-07-2014, 16:45
Well that sucks. We'll take plenty of pics for you.

dingbat
05-07-2014, 16:50
He-he....thanks. Hope it's super clear and sunny so the pics turn out well too.:cursing:

atrane21
05-08-2014, 08:46
Since friday (the 16th) is national bike/walk to work day and i already have off work i decided to do a nice long Tour de Breakfast ride (free breakfast for bikers all over the seacoast) in the AM. So i won't be making out to the river until early afternoon now. Pending how I feel after my 40+ mile morning ride i might just setup camp and not do the 7 mile float. If anyone is in for the friday trip down the river let me know and i'm sure i'll be easily convinced to do it! haha

Look forward to seeing everyone next weekend. Dingbat, again sorry you can't make it. Is there anything we could do to help you out to make it?

Pretbek
05-08-2014, 08:52
Dingbat! Oh bummer.
I guess we will have to sedate and kidnap you. Where do you store your tarp and hammock? I will grab them so you at least have a place to sleep that night after you wake up.

atrane21
05-09-2014, 08:23
weather as of now is not looking nice at all!!

Friday looks good but saturdat and sunday are 90% and 70% chance of rain!!! that sucks

Pretbek
05-09-2014, 11:19
weather as of now is not looking nice at all!!

Friday looks good but saturdat and sunday are 90% and 70% chance of rain!!! that sucks

Nothing that a rain hat or poncho can't fix.

I will bring my Tadpole tarp too, to string up high over the camp fire so it doesn't become just a camp smoke and hiss.

atrane21
05-09-2014, 13:15
yeah i can bring an extra poly tarp as well just in case.

dingbat
05-09-2014, 18:23
Dingbat! Oh bummer.
I guess we will have to sedate and kidnap you. Where do you store your tarp and hammock? I will grab them so you at least have a place to sleep that night after you wake up.

:laugh:Excellent plan! Don't cry for me though, it's a family obligation, but should be a good time. Might get cancelled if the forecast is bad enough. I can't loose either way.:thumbup1:

atrane21
05-10-2014, 12:08
Weather looks a little bit better... only 30-40% chance of rain now

Pretbek
05-10-2014, 16:25
Is the river water clean enough to filter and drink, or are there a lot of chemicals in it?

attroll
05-10-2014, 17:30
I went to Swans Fall yesterday and checked out the parking situation. The parking is not free, it is $10 per day. That would be a cost of $20 for two days per vehicle. Now if we could shuttle all the cars down to the exit point and just have one car at the put in point we could cut down on the cost of parking. The parking is free at the exit point. We could also park as many cars as we need at my house if anyone is worried about leaving there vehicles at the exit point. My house is 2.9 miles from the exit point.

Here are two pictures taken last night of the put in spot. These pictures were taken at dusk with my phone the the quality is not great. The river is still high not real bad. My only concern would be that it may be hard to find a sand bar to have a fire on.

atrane21
05-10-2014, 18:01
There is also free parking where we're camping friday night just north of swan falls. We could use that as a starting point too but we'd have to get around swans falls and put back in again. I belive its only about 3 miles or less up stream.
Just another option.

attroll
05-10-2014, 18:22
There is also free parking where we're camping friday night just north of swan falls. We could use that as a starting point too but we'd have to get around swans falls and put back in again. I belive its only about 3 miles or less up stream.
Just another option.
Either way we are going to have to shuttle people. We can do it before the trip or after the trip. I think it might be better to have the vehicles at the take out point so when we are done we can all load up from there and just head home without have to worry about shuttling after we are done. It does not matter to me either way as I live here and not far away. I will go with what ever everyone else decides.

atrane21
05-10-2014, 18:29
Actually pretbek should have free parking there since hes renting from them. If its ok with him maybe he can help shuttle everyone so we can leave all our cars at takeout point and then one of us can give him a ride back to his car.
Pretbek let me know what u think.

attroll
05-10-2014, 20:16
My girlfriend and I don't want to portage around the Swan Falls. We can meet you below the falls after we get all the cars spotted. We can work out the details later.

Pretbek
05-11-2014, 00:02
Actually pretbek should have free parking there since hes renting from them. If its ok with him maybe he can help shuttle everyone so we can leave all our cars at takeout point and then one of us can give him a ride back to his car.
Pretbek let me know what u think.

I can help shuttle. I will indeed have free parking at the rental place. On Sunday they will pick me (and the kayak) up from the take out point and bring me back to my car at their facility.

So on Saturday I can shuttle people who park at the take out point to the put in point, then drive myself to the kayak rental place.

atrane21
05-11-2014, 06:05
Thanks pretbek. So we can have every one parked at the takeout to make things easier on sunday.

attroll
05-11-2014, 20:45
I am keeping an eye on the weather. If it calls for rain we will probably cancel and not go but we can help with the shuttling if this happens.

atrane21
05-14-2014, 08:00
Weather is lookin pretty rough all weekend. Is anyone still in for this other than pretbek and me? We will be there rain or shine if others are still planning on coming as well.

Rilmoigan
05-14-2014, 10:26
I'm "on the fence" about it at this point; if it looks any worse than it does this morning I will likely bail, unfortunately. But this being Maine, the forecast could turn on a dime, so I am still getting things ready to go, just in case.

I am still planning on going up Friday morning, weather permitting.

R.

Weather is lookin pretty rough all weekend. Is anyone still in for this other than pretbek and me? We will be there rain or shine if others are still planning on coming as well.

atrane21
05-14-2014, 10:43
Sounds good. I should be there early afternoon and probably just setup camp at the friday nigth spot by the bridge (coordinates posted in earlier post). Hope to see you then.

Snaggletooth
05-14-2014, 14:44
Sat morning.

atrane21
05-14-2014, 15:20
Ur in rain or shine gastar?

dingbat
05-14-2014, 17:28
Soooo....I might be back in for this, arriving Sat. morning.
I will keep you posted.

atrane21
05-14-2014, 17:29
Nice!! Come get wet with us!! Haha

Snaggletooth
05-14-2014, 18:31
Ur in rain or shine gastar?

Rain or shine

attroll
05-15-2014, 15:23
We are out. But we live just a few miles down the road. So if you need anything We'll me here.

Who is arriving Friday? And where are you Staying Friday night?
What time are you all meeting on Saturday?
Do you need help shuttling?

Pretbek
05-15-2014, 17:44
We are out. But we live just a few miles down the road. So if you need anything We'll me here.

Who is arriving Friday? And where are you Staying Friday night?
What time are you all meeting on Saturday?
Do you need help shuttling?

Bummer attroll, we will miss ya.
Atrane and I will meet here on Friday:

Friday Night Camp Spot - 44°01'05.3"N 70°59'27.5"W

I believe we aim to start paddling on Saturday at 10am.

We might need help with shuttling people back after they drop off their cars at the take out point, to bring them back to the put in point.

attroll
05-15-2014, 19:36
Bummer attroll, we will miss ya.
Atrane and I will meet here on Friday:
What time are you meeting Atrane on Friday?

atrane21
05-15-2014, 19:39
Ill be there late afternoon (between 1:00 and 3:00) and pretbek is coming from PA so probably wont make it till much later.
Rilmoigan said he'd be there in the AM if he's still in.

attroll
05-15-2014, 19:43
I get out of work at 3 on Friday and will be home around 4. I might come and hang out for a while with you guys later on Friday if you don't mind?

atrane21
05-15-2014, 19:44
Nope dont mind at all. I'll be there. Hopefully with a fire and dry wood haha.

Pretbek
05-16-2014, 08:15
What happened? I have so much stuff with me, I will need a 23' kayak!

dingbat
05-16-2014, 08:59
I expect I'll have a little room in my boat for a few odds and ends if you need. Assuming I make it there that is.

Atrane, Thanks for the pm. I'll try to make some sort of contact so you guys know whether to look for me or not Sat morning.

atrane21
05-16-2014, 10:32
75 and sunny right now. Wish it would stay that way!!

atrane21
05-16-2014, 10:33
Dennis were not car camping this time

JoshuaTrees
05-16-2014, 15:12
I am currently sending good weather vibes your way guys. Have fun, I wish I could have made this one.

Snaggletooth
05-17-2014, 06:06
I'll see if I can do something about the rain when I get there. Leaving soon.

atrane21
05-17-2014, 06:07
Just looked at the weather and its suppose to stop by 10 or 11 and be sunny after that!!

Pretbek
05-18-2014, 17:13
Awesome, awesome weekend.
Attroll thank you soooo much for lending the kayak, that was wonderful.
Too bad the weather wasn't AT ALL what was forecast and a shame that we all died (thanks anyway mr. Park Ranger).
Thank you Flip, Flop and Dingbat for being there and making this an adventure to remember.

Hat-saver out.

atrane21
05-18-2014, 17:26
Trip report
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93391

dingbat
05-18-2014, 18:07
I am currently sending good weather vibes your way guys. Have fun, I wish I could have made this one.

Umm... Nice work with the vibes. Thank you!!!:thumbup1:

Weather turned out so nice, a couple of the guys even decided to go swimming.:lol: