PDA

View Full Version : Hangers in Edmonton, Ab

Hadfield
04-14-2014, 18:39
Hey all, new to the forum. Just wondering if there are some other hammock guys around here that want to do some hanging. Sorry for the pun. Post here and maybe we can start a gathering. Richard.

MDSH
04-14-2014, 18:52
I'd love to come to Edmonton to hang. There's a lovely young lady there with which I'd like to spend some time. She'd go with us, eh?

Would you chaperone, Hadfield?

Brady
04-14-2014, 20:55
snidetripod is there. Probably up for a hang. I'll turn him onto this thread.

Last time I was out in Edmonton we went to Nara on 97th for a hookah. Good times, they just need some hammocks to go with the hookah...

Hadfield
04-14-2014, 21:36
Anytime Mike, and sure I will be a chaparone. Got some great areas up here. Let me know if you are ever up in these neck of the woods. Cheers. Richard.

Hadfield
04-14-2014, 21:38
Definitely Brady, thanks. Richard. Also if anyone is into bikepacking with hammocks that would be cool too.

mm53bar
04-15-2014, 09:03
Great idea Richard. I'm interested in hearing some ideas. And definitely interested in finding some good areas.

Hadfield
04-21-2014, 12:37
Mm53bar shoot me a pm. I'm in north Glenora by westmount mall. Richard

mm53bar
04-22-2014, 21:14
Cross-posted this on an older group-hang thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?67023-Canada-gt-Alberta-gt-Somewhere-Stealthy-gt-February) to to see if there are more Edmonton-area folks interested.

snidetripod
04-22-2014, 21:34
snidetripod is there. Probably up for a hang. I'll turn him onto this thread.

Last time I was out in Edmonton we went to Nara on 97th for a hookah. Good times, they just need some hammocks to go with the hookah...

Yup. That would have been great. A buddy of mine wants to give me one, a hookah that is.

snidetripod
04-22-2014, 21:36
This would be awesome. I have been waiting for two years. Great, I am there. Fort Assiniboine looks like a great place, but if you guys are up for a little farther drive, Muskiki Lake on the Cardinal River Road is beautiful and it's in a PLUZ.

snidetripod
04-22-2014, 21:37
Oh, that location is south of Cadomin, which in turn is south of Hinton.

snidetripod
04-22-2014, 22:22
@ Hadfield, if you are up for a hang before the end of may, I know a few places close to the city. There is one that I really want to check out that is twenty minutes from my door. Have you thought of a stealth hang in the river valley? On the east side of the city, the bush gets a little thicker by the river, and it is not as well traveled as other parts. There is also some single track and trails out there for riding. Welcome to the forums. Pm me if you are interested.

OldnSlow
04-26-2014, 05:48
I would be very interested in hanging around with fellow Edmontonians! I work shift work, so could be available mid week, depending.... PM me and I can give cell and email addys

mm53bar
04-27-2014, 17:17
Not sure what dates might work for folks. Assuming that we're looking at a Friday/Saturday trip, the nights of May 23/24 or May 31/June 1 work for me.

What about the rest of you?

OldnSlow
05-01-2014, 22:19
May 23 - 25 work well for me.

John

Firesong
05-02-2014, 08:54
I'm often through Edmonton visiting my kids in AthabascA. Could be cool to meet up with you guys. My only problem is my daughter would want to sleep in a tent ;)

mm53bar
05-02-2014, 09:41
My only problem is my daughter would want to sleep in a tent ;)

Guessing that won't be the only tent. :)

I'll be bringing my 8-year old son along. He hasn't overnighted in his hammock before so I'll have a tent as well. Would suck to pack up and leave in the night if he wasn't sleeping well.

mm53bar
05-02-2014, 14:02
Assuming that we're looking at a Friday/Saturday trip, the nights of May 23/24 or May 31/June 1 work for me.

Nuts - my wife reminded me today that my son is in a ball hockey tournament on the weekend of May 23/24. I won't be able to make that weekend.

May 31/June 1 still work though.

OldnSlow
05-02-2014, 15:20
of course, My situation is the reverse. Good for May 23 = 24, but working the other week-end.
If some of us are going the 23rd, I have a screen room, for over the camp table, so we will be able to eat in peace. (goes with the tent, for when Tracey and I want to be ground dwellers. See we all have tents :lol: Where would we want to go?

IRONFISH45
05-02-2014, 20:44
Hmm, been thinking about a trip North, we lived in Millwood while I went to U of A. Part of my family is living in the area, we visit about once a year. Kind of make the loop every so often. Oregon, Montana, Alberta, then up to Fort St. John, and on home.

I did not realize there were so many Hangers in the area. I would love to come up over the end of May, I am extremely unreliable at this stage of my life, so I can not promise anything.

My experience with organizing is that it seems to work best just to set a date and a place and people will manage to find their way to be there. It can become very difficult to try to accommodate several people and their schedules, especially with children involved.

snidetripod
05-02-2014, 20:50
+1 on that Ironfish.
Seems that things are looking rather unpromising for me at the end of May too. I can't get weekends off, and the only days off I do get are split up during the week. June should be a different story, but as for right now, Wednesdays and Thursdays look like my only option. Guess I will be hanging solo for a while. I hope I can Fandangle my way to a weekend off, it would be great to get out and meet some of you guys and see your rigs.
On another note, has anyone decided on a location? Are we looking for a free weekend, or maybe somewhere like a campground. It might be easier with the latter, and more people may be inclined to come knowing there are amenities close by. Just some food for thought, either way is fine with me.

snidetripod
05-02-2014, 21:22
As for some ideas on places, Miquelon is nice (although I have not hung there) and there are group sites. There are scads of provincial campgrounds west of Edmonton along 16 that could be great, Nojack comes to mind. If you guys want to be way out away from everyone, there are tons of crown lands along the forestry trunk road south of Hinton, but its a good three hour drive. There is a place that I would love to check out east of Edmonton. Its called the Ministik Bird Sanctuary, and I think it would be great for a stealth group hang ( there are no camping signs). Also, Centennial Park at Joseph Lake is a great little campground, I did a quick overnight there last year and I think I wrote a trip report up in that section of the forums. There are a few good hang spots there and I believe it was a very affordable rate. Just bring your own firewood.

*EDIT*
Nojack provincial recreation area is 1 hr and 40 min ( google maps estimate) from my door, I live in south Edmonton. It is 15 $ per night and there are 23 sites. The website says that there is drinkable water there, but also advises to bring your own. There are no showers, but ( a big plus ) firewood is provided. Every time I drive by this place on the way to Jasper it looks vacant. From the road you can see lodgepole pine and black spruce which would be great to hang from. I think this week coming up I may take a spin out there to see what's up and if it is a viable option for us hangers.

Hadfield
05-04-2014, 18:33
Great response sorry I haven't been able to check back for a while. The end of may is bad for myself, but something in June should work. I have a lot of maps from natural resources which map all of the logging roads. Snide tripod send me a pm with phone number. I think that would be fun to do some inner city stealth hanging. Richard

Hadfield
05-04-2014, 18:35
Would be fun to start a hammock club. We could meet for coffee and discuss some outings and different places people have been. Anyone interested?

OldnSlow
05-04-2014, 18:47
I think it would be great to get together to drink coffee and plan! a club is sure possible. count me in. Miquelon has some great trees in the individual campsites located in the C loop, somewhere around 199 to 204. I know I am looking to make a turtledog stand, so that could also be an option.

mm53bar
05-04-2014, 18:57
Would be fun to start a hammock club. We could meet for coffee and discuss some outings and different places people have been. Anyone interested?

Sure thing - I'd be interested in giving that a try.

snidetripod
05-04-2014, 19:19

Count me in too and pm on the way.

As for Miquelon, it is a great campground since they renovated a few years back, although I remember being able to swim in the lake when I was a child.
If the sites in c loop are treed to suit hammocks, then I see no reason why we couldn't go there. Its close to the city and from what I remember the rates are reasonable. There is also Elk Island National Park, although park rates will apply. I still think that Nojack would be great. It is never full, and there is free firewood.
I guess we will discuss all this at our meeting. See y'all there.

P.S. I will be going for a solo hang on Tuesday night, so I will not be available to meet that night.

snidetripod
05-04-2014, 22:08
What is everyone doing tomorrow evening, Monday, May 5?

OldnSlow
05-04-2014, 22:24
I have a gun club meeting. Available after 9 pm, or before 7. Otherwise the rest of the week is free!

OldnSlow
05-06-2014, 11:55
any other date suggestions for meeting? I am available any time

snidetripod
05-06-2014, 13:15
Tonight is no good for me. I am planning to do a quick overnight somewhere, if anyone wants to get out send me a pm or post here. Any other night this week will work for me.

snidetripod
05-06-2014, 17:49
FYI.... Miquelon Lake is open year round. Winter rates are 15$ per night. The only problem is they don't stock firewood. I think I will head out there for the evening.

OldnSlow
05-06-2014, 18:52
I wish I could... no money until Friday :-(

snidetripod
05-07-2014, 15:49
It was such a beautiful night, I think I may stay another. Site 51 A if anyone wants to join.

Trip report soon guys.

OldnSlow
05-07-2014, 17:03
Your killing me.... I wish I could be there.

snidetripod
05-07-2014, 19:37
Your killing me.... I wish I could be there.

Its fixing to be a beauty of a night. Sites paid for. Lots of firewood. Extra hang spots cleared out too.
All you need to do is to get yourself here.

OldnSlow
05-07-2014, 20:07
You've convinced me! I convinced my wife. I'll be there in a half hour.

OldnSlow
05-08-2014, 18:11
I had a great time with snidetripod at miquelon. I learned more about the uq I made, and totally enjoyed the night.

OldnSlow
05-08-2014, 18:12
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/etaqa5ub.jpg. Campsite 51

mm53bar
05-08-2014, 18:41
Looks awesome! How were the temps? It was a little chilly last night!

OldnSlow
05-08-2014, 19:01
There is no phone reception where we were, but we walked to the beach, and stood on a picnic table to get reception. :-). At that time (10:45pm) it was 2C. Not sure just how much lower it went.

snidetripod
05-08-2014, 20:38
Wow. I am wiped out. All that firewood processing and walking around last night did me in.
As Old n Slow said, t'was a grand night. It was an absolute pleasure to have like minded company ( I hope my indulgence in libations didn't taint your opinion of me), and someone to share my setup with. I am writing a full trip report which will include all of my pictures and such.
As for the temps, last night was warmer than Tuesday for sure. I had frost cover on everything that night. I can't remember too much about last night other than chatting with Old n Slow and then getting lost out by the sewage lagoons. There is something interesting going on out there.
Anyhow, thanks for letting me convince you, and in turn thanks for convincing your wife. I look forward to the next group hang.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/naqanuhu.jpg

OldnSlow
05-08-2014, 21:01
Awe shucks. a little libation around the fire is my idea of camping. No problems. I also look forward to having a bunch of us like minded hammock hangers in a group. We will blow the ground dweller's minds.:scared::lol:

snidetripod
05-08-2014, 21:03
I think a few were blown on this outing. I received a few stares as passers by used the path behind my setup. Nobody stopped to talk though, and I ain't that scary looking. :)

OldnSlow
05-08-2014, 21:05
OH, I don't know, you long haired cammo wearing hippie:lol: Nah, they just couldn't believe anyone sleeping in anything less than a 30 foot trailer or motorhome.

So much for the pioneer spirit in Edmonton.

snidetripod
05-08-2014, 21:06
Lol :) :) :)

snidetripod
05-09-2014, 14:22
Here's something that would be cool to do. There is a trail called the Waskahegan. It runs south from Fort Sask, through Edmonton and down to Wetaskawin. From there it winds east to Camrose, then turns north and snakes through Miquelon, Ministik and returns to Fort Sask. I have not done a lot of research yet, but I think it would be neat to hike it.
It is still only a thought, and I know that a couple of years of planning would go into something like this. We would need permission to travel certain parts, and would have to set up caches in advance.
Like I said, it is only an idea, but it would be an adventure to say the least.

**EDIT***
I found out that there is an association dedicated to the maintenance and protection of the WT. I have emailed them to get a bit more info about the trail itself. I have also signed up to become a member, doing so entitles me to a guide book which contains maps and use of the full 309 km trail. I hope to hear back from them in a couple of days.

mm53bar
05-09-2014, 17:34
Sounds like a great plan. I've looked at the waskahegan a lot but have never signed up as a member. The library downtown has a copy of their guidebook and I've leafed through it. It seems like the trail is more set up for a series of dayhikes than for overnighting. But there are definitely overnight locations.

I've been meaning to sign up as a member to get the guidebook. Knowing that this might be in the works is enough to get me off my butt on this. :)

And rather than doing the whole thing in one shot, maybe some "section hikes" exist. It would help us build up some knowledge before the full thru hike.

Good idea!

mike.

mm53bar
05-09-2014, 17:36
One more thing - there's also the Ironhorse Trail at http://www.ironhorsetrail.ca. It's an old rail line that was pulled out and replaced with trail. However, it looks like it's more for horses and snowmobiles. The parts I've looked at on Google Maps seem really exposed. It's also hard to find out any information about overnighting. But I haven't actually gone to check it out.

snidetripod
05-09-2014, 17:44
I have hiked the section through Ministik several times. I have placed three geocaches along it.
Also, you have to mail in your sign up sheet with twenty bucks, the WTA no longer accepts online registration. I may for go this for a bit, and photocopy the importants out of the guide book.
But as for the hike, section hikes would be a good idea, and members have full access to the parts of the trail that are on private property.

snidetripod
05-09-2014, 17:54
We need to set a date for a meeting. How does the night of Monday, May 12 work for every one?

mm53bar
05-09-2014, 20:30
Next week in general isn't good for me. Sorry.

OldnSlow
05-10-2014, 01:42
Im good with Monday through Wednesday evening.

snidetripod
05-13-2014, 19:21
Okay, so next week I have Wednesday and Thursday off again, and I was thinking of heading out somewhere. Fishing season should be back on by then and it would be nice to catch a couple for dinner. Then again, Miquelon is just down the road, so is Joseph Lake. There is also Elk Island for which I have a park pass ..... Oh decisions, decisions.

mm53bar
05-13-2014, 20:19
I think I'm in for at least one of those nights. Hope to have my new SLD Streamliner by then too.

I'll check the family calendar and confirm.

I don't eat meat so I'm out for the fishing. :)

mike

snidetripod
05-13-2014, 22:00
I think I'm in for at least one of those nights. Hope to have my new SLD Streamliner by then too.

Great. It will be a good time, wherever we decide to go. Jo lake is really nice, and affordable. I really want to check out Something west of the city. I will research a little more as to what is out that way.
What kind of streamliner did you get Mike?

mm53bar
05-13-2014, 22:37
OK - I'm definitely in for the Wednesday night. I'm not working Wednesday so I can head out during the day. Selfishly speaking, west of the city works better for me but not sure what's got any type of remoteness. I'd be fine with the walk-in sites at Elk Island.

If we had a canoe then we could hit the islands or crown land on the North Saskatchewan. Water's pretty high right now though.

I went with a double layer 1.1 for the streamliner. I've currently got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe which is more than good but I wanted something that I could play with a bit more. The Hennessy is just a bit too all-in-one and I want to play with my setup more than it allows.

snidetripod
05-13-2014, 23:59
Okay. The walk in sites at Elk Island would be perfect for this. There are a number of them. Hopefully more will join us.

If you follow any road north or south of Edson you will reach crown land. The problem is that right now the roads are still fairly sloppy and will swallow the burliest of 4x4. Its a better bet to research more and stick with somewhere we know for now.

OldnSlow
05-14-2014, 01:41
I hope you are having a great hang, while I slave away:lol: Next time.....

mm53bar
05-14-2014, 08:42
Sounds good. I'm pretty much open to any destination. I haven't stayed at the walk-in sites at Elk Island so I'm definitely not sold on them. Especially if they're the same price as a full site. :)

I agree with sticking with somewhere we know for now.

snidetripod
05-14-2014, 08:57
I am looking at the walk in sites on Google maps. It appears that there is a large stand of spruce that would most likely be the best spot. Hopefully there are some sites in there, although I don't think anyone will really care where we hang as long as we have paid.

snidetripod
05-14-2014, 17:41
I have checked out the Parks Canada website and found the following information about camping in Elk Island, ( it is a bit of a read and is quoted straight from their website)

Elk Island National Park of Canada

Fees

-->*Entry and service fees are charged at most national parks and national historic sites, where revenues are kept to support visitor services and facilities. This means that every time you visit a park or site you are investing in its future and in a legacy for future generations.

The following definitions apply to entry and service fee categories unless otherwise specified:

Adult:*Person 17 to 64 years of age
Senior:*Person 65 years of age or over
Youth:*Person 6 to 16 years of age
Family/Group:*Up to seven people arriving in a single vehicle in a national park.*
School Groups:*Students of elementary and secondary schools.

Fees listed are currently in effect. Parks Canada has consulted on modifications to fees and is currently going through the necessary approval processes. Upon approval, new and updated fee information will be listed here.*
An Asterisk (*) indicates a new or changed fee from the previous year. All fees listed include applicable taxes and are subject to change.*

ENTRY

Daily

Adult$ 7.80
Senior$ 6.80
Youth$ 3.90
Family/Group$ 19.60
Commercial Group, per person$ 6.80
School Groups, per student$ 2.90
School Groups, Entry and a Heritage Presentation Special Program,
per student$ 3.90

Annual Early Bird

Adult$ 31.40
Senior$ 27.40
Youth$ 15.70
Family/Group$ 78.50

December 1 to March 31.

Annual

Adult$ 39.20
Senior$ 34.30
Youth$ 19.60
Family/Group$ 98.10

CAMPING

One Night

Sandy Beach - Unserviced with washroom building having toilets and showers$ 25.50
Overflow$ 15.70

Group Camping - One Night, Per Person

Sandy Beach, with showers$ 5.80
Oster Lake, without showers$ 4.90

CAMPING SERVICES

Type

Fire Permit$ 8.80

★★★★★

It seems for the most part that it would be less expensive to go somewhere else. There are only ten tenting walk in sites, and I am not thrilled about having to pay twenty five dollars plus eight eighty per day for a fire permit. I would rather spend that money for gas and go west. On the other hand, for a group hang one day, that Oster Lake place seems like a perfect spot, especially in the winter.
I will do some more research and find somewhere west of the city to go with free firewood and affordable rates.

snidetripod
05-15-2014, 21:12
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/abuquqe7.jpg

For anyone who is interested, I am planning a two night hang starting Tuesday, May twentieth. I will be heading to Nojack Provincial Recreation Area, just past Chip Lake on the Yellowhead. If you do not know where this is, look it up on Google maps.
I will be going straight from work on Tuesday, it will take me approximately one and a half hours to get there so my eta should be around eighteen hundred hours.
Campsites are fifteen dollars per night and there is firewood provided. There is also potable water from a hand pump, but Alberta Parks does recommend bringing your own because they can't guarantee the quality.
It is supposed to be twenty degrees on Wednesday with overnight lows forecasted at eight celcius so it should be perfect hanging weather.
Hope to see y'all there.

***EDIT***

No more than two minutes after posting this, I received a call back from the Yellowhead county person in charge of maintaining this campground. They told me that it would be wise to bring my own water as ground water levels are low in the area, and the well could be dry. There have also been cougar sightings in the area so I have been warned to practice proper cooking and food stowage procedures. She also told me that there is no guarantee on fire wood as people come and just take it.
I have a large five gallon water jug that I will bring and, if the well is not dry, I will have my filter with me. I will also bring a chainsaw to make for quick collection of wood if need be.
Cheers...

mm53bar
05-19-2014, 19:02
I'll be there Wednesday around mid-morning.

Firesong
05-19-2014, 19:38
I'm coming up this weekend from Saskatoon. Probably try my setup for the first time at poachers landing north if Boyle.

snidetripod
05-19-2014, 23:52
Okay. I think I found a better place to go. Its called Beta Lake, and it is a little further than Nojack. That's okay because it is more secluded and not right by the highway. Rates are the same and there is firewood provided. There is a lake with a beach.
Anyhow, to get there, travel west on the Yellowhead and turn north on 751 just before Nojack. Follow the signage after that. From my door, Google maps estimates 1 hr and 50 min.
I will be heading out there Wednesday morning around 500.

Cheers.

snidetripod
06-13-2014, 16:11
Hello all, I am sorry for my absence from the forums these past weeks. I was in the hospital. I am wondering if anyone would be down for a mid week hang during June 17 through June 21 inclusively.

mm53bar
06-13-2014, 17:34
I'm pretty sure that I'm OK to go on Wednesday for a night.

snidetripod
06-13-2014, 19:23
I am thinking of Sandhills PLUZ by Fort Assiniboine. Its free to camp there, and there will be plenty of fire wood. Water will be a factor because I don't know of any sources in there. If anything I could bring a few gallons and leave them in the car. It would only be a slight hassle to hike back for it especially if we camp close to the car.
We could also check out something down west of Drayton Valley, I hear the fishing is good right now.
At any rate, now that I have a time frame, I can do some more research and maybe turn up another gem. Are there any limits to how far you guys are willing to drive? Carpooling could also be an option.

P.S. We could always go back to Beta Lake....

mm53bar
06-14-2014, 15:17
I would definitely be into checking out the Sandhills PLUZ. I'm sure that we could find a campsite close to the river and just filter water. I knew I should have ordered a Sawyer Mini earlier this spring!

mm53bar
06-14-2014, 15:19
If we started at either the Central or Athabasca Viewpoint staging areas then we're not too far from the river. http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/3265279/fort-assiniboine-brochure.pdf

snidetripod
06-14-2014, 15:23
Unfortunately, I will be unable to go on Wednesday night. I forgot I have a doctors appointment at 11 am Thursday morning, and Sandhills is just too far to make it back......
Hmmmmm.....
What time would you be able to meet me at the staging area?

*****EDIT*****

Okay, so I have checked it over and although my window for success is small, it is not impossible for me to make my appointment. I will however have to depart the bivouac just after sparrow fart.
I am putting together some information such as maps and times and such, that I will post here later today. I look forward to meeting some more Edmonton Hangers on this trip even though it is rather short notice.

Cheers all..

snidetripod
06-14-2014, 22:52
Hello all. I have taken the liberty of drawing up a set of directions in Google maps that explain the fastest way to Klondyke Ferry by Vega Alberta. I started the route at the junction of Highway 16 and the Anthony Henday on the west side of Edmonton. https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z6q0yruJX8uw.kCsKYZE4KL2Q . I am sure you all are fluent in maps so these directions should be a breeze to follow.

I think that a good time to meet would be around noon, but if there are some stragglers, the Athabaska Viewpoint staging area is where the trailhead is. Mm53bar included a link to the Fort Assiniboine PLUZ brochure a few posts above here, but for everyone's ease I will include it here. http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/3265279/fort-assiniboine-brochure.pdf
We will be following the south leg of Lookout Loop to the southern most viewpoint. It appears that there is a creek flowing into the Atha B, so this is a logical place for water. I will be bringing my Platypus Gravityworks filter to handle all our h2o needs. I will also have a GPS, but will not have the trail marked as I have no access to a computer to program it ( I don't for see getting lost).
For those who might like to come, but transportation is a problem, I would be willing to carpool but space is limited, I only have a small SUV.
Well, I think that pretty much covers it all. If you can think of anything else post it. I look forward to maybe meeting some of the other Edmonton area hangers.
Cheers....

Brady
06-15-2014, 01:53
Have fun guys. Wish I could stay longer in Edmonton. Take some good pictures Mike.

snidetripod
06-15-2014, 10:50
Will do Brady. Too bad your not here for this one. Maybe next time?

snidetripod
06-15-2014, 23:35
MM53BAR and I have decided to postpone the Athabaska Viewpoint trip for one week. We will be meeting at the Klondyke Ferry on Wednesday, June 25. I will post the time sometime in the next week. Hope this gives more of you a chance to come on out.

mm53bar
06-16-2014, 11:48
I don't think we'll really need it, but here's some links to free topo maps for the area (083J07).

50K - http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/083/j/canmatrix_083j07_tif.zip
250K - http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/250k_300dpi/083/j/canmatrix_083j_tif.zip

snidetripod
06-24-2014, 22:18
The Athabasca Viewpoint trip has been postponed. It is supposed to rain all day tomorrow anyway, and the turnaround for me is just too exhausting ( I just returned from Jasper).
We still plan to do this trip, just not for a few more weeks.

snidetripod
07-08-2014, 19:29
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/erebaquz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/y9aqere8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/8e3yjezy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/y8y4ebyj.jpg

Just thought I would post a few pictures of my setup for tonight. If anyone wants to join me, shoot me a pm and I'll give ya directions.

snidetripod
07-22-2014, 22:51
Is anyone in Edmonton still interested in doing the Athabaska Viewpoint trip next Friday into Saturday?

mm53bar
07-23-2014, 08:06
I'm in. Might bring my 9-year old son as well.

snidetripod
07-23-2014, 09:54
Sweet. So the plans will be the same as last time I guess. Meet at the Vega ferry crossing. We just need to pick a time.

I was even thinking about heading up there on Thursday night after work. That would give me two full days of a trip. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

snidetripod
07-25-2014, 22:14
So, how's ten o'clock am for everyone?

mm53bar
07-26-2014, 17:57
So, how's ten o'clock am for everyone?

10AM is good for me. It looks to be just over a 2-hour drive from St. Albert so 10AM is perfect.

Are we meeting at Vera Ferry crossing or right at the Athabasca Viewpoint staging area? Is there a pullout or something at the ferry crossing that makes it a better point to meet? Otherwise I'd think that the Athabasca Viewpoint staging area is a logical choice - it has a bathroom. :)

snidetripod
07-26-2014, 17:59
I was just thinking we could all ride the ferry together. It would be kind of cool. If you want to meet at Athabaska Viewpoint we can.
If we plan to meet at the viewpoint, we will probably end up at the ferry crossing around the same time.

snidetripod
07-27-2014, 20:14
Okay. The plan is this, we are meeting at the Athabaska Viewpoint staging area on Friday, August 1st at 1000 hours. Whoever wants to join MM53BAR and myself should either meet us at the trailhead, or look for signage of our presence down the trail.
There appears to be a small creek to the south west of the staging area. This will most likely be our destination but you never know, but rest assured I will leave a trail. We may have to camp by the river in order to get water, and it looks like there is a flatter grade down there, perfect for a campfire.
You can check out http://goo.gl/maps/6KERm for a map of the area. The northern star is the staging area, and the southern star is the creek where we may camp.
Whomever shows up, I am looking forward to getting out into the " PINEY WOODS " with my son and friends.

Cheers all.

HangingKayaker
08-03-2014, 22:37
Just came back from Tombstone back country site in Kananaskis. Was there last November as well. Some nice hikes around the site and of course the view is world class.909489094990950. Much different there without the snow. I've realized that no matter what it is at least a 3 hour drive if I want the mountains. Miquelon's ok, but I like the mountains.

It's been a while since I've visited the forums, good to get caught up.

snidetripod
08-03-2014, 23:10
Just came back from Tombstone back country site in Kananaskis. Was there last November as well. Some nice hikes around the site and of course the view is world class.Much different there without the snow. I've realized that no matter what it is at least a 3 hour drive if I want the mountains. Miquelon's ok, but I like the mountains.

It's been a while since I've visited the forums, good to get caught up.

I sent you an invite to our hang on the weekend on your YouTube video about your fancy feast stove. Its good your back. Tombstone is nice. I was there years ago, not with a hammock but with a tent.
We may try to get back out to sandhills pluz later in the season when the bugs are gone.

Leftjab
08-07-2014, 23:40
Hi everyone, I'm new to hammock forums. Does anyone in the Edmonton Area do any stealth camping in or around Edmonton?

mm53bar
08-08-2014, 08:50
Hi everyone, I'm new to hammock forums. Does anyone in the Edmonton Area do any stealth camping in or around Edmonton?

Send a private message to snidetripod. He'll be all over it.

snidetripod
01-28-2015, 14:14
Hey Edmonton Hangers. Snide here just wanting to get the ball rolling for a late winter, early spring group hang. I am thinking about Sandhills PLUZ, it is a wicked place to hang, and in March/April should be fairly bug free. MM53BAR and I went last year in the summer and the mosquitoes were horrendous, but overall a great time. We found a perfect place to hang as well.
It is about an hour hike to the Overlook from the parking lot, there is a picnic table up there and water is available in the creek below. As for hanging, a nice spruce grove with mossy floor and widely spaced trees is the perfect place.
Suggestions? Let's make this thing happen this year.

Lynx_Gen
02-01-2015, 13:32
hey all edmontonians!
I live in St. Paul, bout 2-2.5hrs east of ya. just off the ole iron horse trail.

first just to chime in on the trail, its not realy a trail for hiking. its pretty much the equivelent of walking down a dirt road. its great for bikes, atvs, horses n snowmobiles etc.
Im very familiar with the sections from elk point, to ashmont, to bonnyville.

what I do know best is around moose lake, the west end. its all crown land, which = free camping.

lots of bush, and lots of atv/bike trails to ride, altho I've rode them to death.

its also my pretty much goto campin spot. (usualy with backpack n hammock etc on the dualsport bike.)
typicaly spend most of our summers out there, (the ole lady and kids stay in the inlaws giant camper with the quads etc right in the gravel/sand pits. I usualy dissapear into the bush a ways away lol)

I have the land use maps for st paul and bonnyville areas. loads of crown land, 100s of places to explore and camp.

long storey short, if anyone is interested in travelling out this way to hang, I'm out here!

now on a side note, i'd be interested in gettin together for a hang, depending on the day/night/work etc etc.

I kinda know miquelon lake, or at least where its at etc, lived in camrose for awhile, grew up an hour east of camrose.

I would need to wait for a bit warmer weather for myself tho, i dont deal with being cold well, and so far dont have anything in the way of cold weather gear/UQ etc etc

snidetripod.. is that sandhill FLUZ (forestry land use zone?) or PLUZ? lol

i only have a vague idea on the fluz areas from internet searching etc. would have to do some extra planning to go that far since I belive most of the fluz areas are along the edges of the mountains?

~L~

*edit* photo is a 3d photo... sorry.. lol need to cut it in half i guess?? *end edit*

if you're curious about the terrain and area around moose lake, this will give you an idea. (right at the pits, an area common to see people out on thier toys etc. i tend to camp aways from here, and its always been quiet and peacefull. (the second pit there is where all the local teenie-bobbers go to party it up in the warmer days, so another reason to go to the other side kinda thing. this here is actualy on a small peninsula, right close to an actual campground.(they do have group sites for 60$ a night, but the only added benefit is a picknic table, fire pit, and outhouse. trails go right in and outta the site as well.. lol))

http://youtu.be/xEwLEVTW1AA

I typicaly camp close to the lake in the deeper bush away from view of the trails, or near the river across the road :D

if you poke around the vids, theres some footage of the iron horse as well, but you cant see much as im going flat out and rattled all to heck tryinig to beat the vehicles back to town.. lol (which I did by about 4mins lol)

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 10:52
Where east of Camrose did you grow up? I spent a year or so in Killam living with my buddy.
Lots of crown land you say, I may have to get a hold of you and plan a weekend trip up there.
Yes, the Fluz (forestry land use zone) areas are along the forestry trunk road around Hinton and down through Nordegg into areas west of Calgary. The Sandhills Pluz (public land use zone) is north of Edmonton, east of Fort Assiniboine and north of Barhead. Its pretty quiet up there, and the ferry ride across the Atha B is neat. Either way, Fluz and Pluz are all crown land. I just looked up Moose Lake in Google maps and it says there is a Provincial Park up there. Which end of the lake is the crown land? A little further north is the Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area. I wonder if you can camp in there, a lot of the rec. areas around here don't allow overnighting.
How would I go about securing some of those land use maps you are talking about?

Lynx_Gen
02-02-2015, 13:21
I grew up in lougheed, went to highschool in sedgewick. I`ve lived most ofmy life in Lougheed, sedgewick, and killam. (My oldest boy lives in kilam with his mom, my dad in sedgewick. Im related to half of hardisty, family farm was south east of killam.

Funny thing is, I`m also on the alberta dualsport forum, and they`re plannin a ride n camp tripabout an hour the other side of hardisty... same sorta post.. lol specialy when they mentioned a backroad ride to hardisty.. lol

My cuzin has a lake lot close to barthead, bout 20 mins outta barhead. A relative of mine holds a yearly family gathering at his farm, right in that area aswell the last few years, altho I havent made it out to one yet.

As for the land maps,Ill see if I can find the links, if not I have em d-loaded to my phone. they`re layered pdf files,the bonnyville area one isnt too bad, but the st paul county one kinda sucks cuz theres so much info makes it slow to load... I been meaning to try a program to trim down all the data.. all I realy need are the roads and the crown land layers lol

*edit*

there is a provincial park as well as a couple other camp grounds, a church camp, and otherstuff.. lol... moose lake is like 20+ km long

OldnSlow
02-02-2015, 13:27
Depending on the time and how it fits with my work sched, I would be game for a trip. Snide and I had a great time the one time we went out. Looking forward to doing that again.

Lynx_Gen
02-02-2015, 13:57
EUREEKA! I FOUND EM BY GOD!

okay heres the link to the bonnyville one..

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.md.bonnyville.ab.ca%2FDocumen tCenter%2FHome%2FView%2F85&ei=f8TPVLe6NY6uogTjvIBA&usg=AFQjCNEydn0oQQDFqB9pjdQ4dB4zFBC60A&sig2=USuewwHvfzlOpOCRWgvT5Q&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cGU&cad=rja

basically its the area between the lake and the river on the west end of moose lake is where I typically go. once i get my class 6 (shoud be this spring, got the written test part done, lol) I`ll deffinately be doin some more explorin to the north!

Also havent camped, but rode in the area just north of the provincial park at mooselake.popular sand pits and marked trails etc for snowmobiles n atvs etc (just dont go into the gravel pit.. with the crusher etc.. that guy will chase you down, write down your plate numbers etc... hehe honest mistake, we left on good terms tho in the end lol)

and heres the st paul one...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/townlife_production/public/uploads/documents/8573/Ownership_Map_-_2012.pdf

I remember finding a year or two ago, an online version for the whole province. been trying to find that one again forever.. (Discoverd it whilst researchin the FLUZ areas..lol nice thing was you coud turn on n off the layers. but the best part was, you could see whos leasing the land and the terms. due to the proccess of leasingcrown land, 90% of them only require you to give 1-2 days notice you`ll be out there. its not asking permission tho. some have stipulations on land access, despite it being crown land.

You can pretty much search google `` *County name* ownership map`` and find n pull up these maps... (altho dont qoute me on that lol!)

also,do you have any links pertaining to the PLUZ areas.. (Also, maybe I shouda put all this in a new thread... O.o)

sorry if this is somewhat offtopic, but suppose its relevent.. hehe

L

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 14:28
"Lo heed the man who dates my daughters. ". My buddy and I used to say this when we would go out to the trout pond there. I knew a couple of girls out there, they were probably not even born when you lived in Lougheed.
I worked with a guy named Terry doing concrete, and then at the Killam Crossing as a cook in the diner. Had a lot of fun out there, cruzing the back roads (Roller Coaster Road), and exploring old broken houses.
Old N Slow, your still around? I haven't heard from you in a while, thought maybe you had moved away.
Maybe I will do some research of the St. Paul - Bonneville area crown lands when I get those maps. We can chatter back and forth for the next couple of months and set something up. February is supposed to be bitterly cold, with some relief coming in mid March, around my birthday. I am always down for exploring new places and seeing new things.
There are a few of us around here now, so it should make for a great hang, hopefully a few days long.
Here is the link to Alberta PLUZ page. They are all on here:
http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/recreation-on-public-land/public-land-use-zones

Lynx_Gen
02-02-2015, 15:09
Bahaha! Terry Pheonix.. he dated n lived with my aunt for a few years.. I worked with him for a couple months when I first moved back after tryin the city life for awhile.. lol

Maybe we worked together.. haha..

I know ALOT of the girls around there.. hehe

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 15:16
I worked for Terry about seven to eight years ago. My buddy Neil, and there was another guy named Rod.
The girls were the Butcher girls.

OldnSlow
02-02-2015, 15:39
Wife had major surgery, so out of commission for the summer and fall. Ready for camping again this spring and summer!

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 17:18
Sweet Old n Slow. It will be good to hang with you again.

OldnSlow
02-02-2015, 17:40
I'm sure looking forward to it!

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 19:14
Those links you sent me are broken, its okay though, I can just surf around until I find something.

Firesong
02-02-2015, 19:39
Hey guys. If your planning something give me a heads up. I need to get out and get out :)
I just lost my hanging buddy to a heart attack this last week. Need to figure out a few things.

Lynx_Gen
02-02-2015, 19:57
I worked for Terry about seven to eight years ago. My buddy Neil, and there was another guy named Rod.
The girls were the Butcher girls.

hmm.. I worked and lived with a Niel that worked for terry for a bit.. O.o

Is he kinda a bigger guy, redish orangy hair/beard? He had kinda a beard n long hair.. drove a green car... lived in a trailer when I lived with him.. hehe..

Dont remember if we parted on good terms.. I think we did.. ? lol

pretty sure his mom lived in killam as well.. hehe

Theres a few families in that kneck ofthe woods with the lqast name Butcher. only one I sorta knew to see was a Sean/Shaun Butcher.

i think my world just shrank again...

Ask Niel if he remembers a "Lucas"

Im the one who came home from work and he let all 3 of the girls i was juggling in at once.. so I come home to all of em sittin there on the couch... that was fun... bahaha!

As for the links they work for me, they open up in the browser, so it may be a browser issue? i use firefox.. some adobe pluggin.

If you want I can try and e-mail them. I recommend g-mail becuz it supports larger file sizes than most. if you want then pm me your email addy and ill give it a try.

snidetripod
02-02-2015, 21:06
I have probably met you before then. I used to go visit Neil all the time, party, and come back to Edmonton.
Anyway, I got the LandOwner maps for the counties in question, and there does seem to be a fair bit of C.L. Thanks for those links mang.

Lynx_Gen
02-02-2015, 21:43
I have probably met you before then. I used to go visit Neil all the time, party, and come back to Edmonton.
Anyway, I got the LandOwner maps for the counties in question, and there does seem to be a fair bit of C.L. Thanks for those links mang.
thats crazy...small world.. lol

Ya im gona try n trim those maps down.. realy slow n hard to use/look at on my phone.. also wana try n convert em to a map thingy for my gps.. lol

mm53bar
02-03-2015, 17:07
Hey guys - first time back on the forums for a few months. Kinda neglected a few emails as well so I apologize to any of you that tried to contact me since the summer.

I definitely liked Fort Assiniboine Sandhills (it's actually classified as a wildland provincial park) with snidetripod last year. It was a nice short hike - great intro to hiking for my 9yo. And I agree with snidetripod - the location we had for camping was fantastic. Great trees and a view of the Athabasca river. The only bad part was that we had to bushwhack a bit to get to a small creek for water. But even that turned into a bit of an adventure.

This year, I'm joining the UQ crowd so should be OK with an early spring trip. Anything within a couple of hours from Edmonton sounds good to me. I'm trying to get lighter this year so I'd love to do more of a hiking trip than a camping trip but I realize that doesn't jive with everyone. But as long as we can get away from crowds, RVs and generators I'll be happy.

mike.

snidetripod
02-05-2015, 21:17
Man, I wish I could go out and hang in this storm we are getting. [emoji40] [emoji40]

Lynx_Gen
02-14-2015, 23:36
sooo..just as an update, is there an official date set? or still abit "up in the air?"
R u still aiming for around end of march? looks like about mid march we'll be reaching our above freezing temps..

snidetripod
02-17-2015, 18:20
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/17/5157db4bf30deca58b4c6fc4ec6901e5.jpg
Happy belated family day Edmonton Hangers!!!!
Wish you all were here!!!

snidetripod
09-27-2015, 16:52
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for a while here, busy working and such. Just wanted to let you all know I am still alive and well, maybe planning an over night to Elk Island before the end of October.

snidetripod
01-06-2016, 13:41
Is anyone still around?

mm53bar
01-06-2016, 13:53
Yep! Just not too active during winter.

Caminante
01-06-2016, 14:28
Sadly, I'm a little far away. Spent my first three years in Grande Prairie and have enjoyed a few trips back over the years (but not in January...). Would love to hang some time during the summer near a lake or river.

HangingKayaker
01-06-2016, 23:02
I'm still here. Was thinking about Elk Island between Christmas and New Years but got sick.

snidetripod
01-07-2016, 10:29
I'm still here. Was thinking about Elk Island between Christmas and New Years but got sick.
If your down for an overnight later this month, I am willing. I am itching to get out, my hammy is calling out " hang me".

snidetripod
01-13-2016, 19:20
Plan is, three weeks from now. Either Elk Island, or Miquelon in A loop????

Firesong
01-13-2016, 19:53
Hmm tempting.

snidetripod
01-13-2016, 23:25
Miquelon, A Loop.

snidetripod
01-15-2016, 22:22
The Unofficial, First Annual Edmonton Area Polar Bear Hang ??
What do you guys think? If I just say that I am heading out for a couple nights in a few weeks, maybe it will give some people enough time to free up their busy schedules and put together a kick *** winter rig to come help me celebrate the first winter group hang in the Edmonton area ( I say group because I don't believe there have been more than two people out before, if I am wrong please let me know).

So, if you can make it just show up. No need to post anything or commit then pull out later. If you are super stoked and want to post, go ahead. I know I am!!
Now, without further a due, here is the plan;

PLACE: Miquelon Lake Provincial Park. Located on secondary highway 833 north of Camrose. If you don't know, google maps does and is always happy to help out. Here is a link to a PDF of the campsite map MIQUELON LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20z448r9F_KS3JDUWxmQXVDRHc/view?usp=docslist_api)
WHEN: Anytime after 1700 hrs on January 29 2016 until afternoon of January 31 2016.

Okay, I have included a link to a PDF of the campground map. On the map you will see some text that says "PARK CENTER". To the left and up a little you should find an A that denotes the campsite. Don't worry, there are lots of good hanging trees around. I plan to be out after work that night and will have firewood ready to go.

Hope y'all can make it out.

snidetripod
01-15-2016, 22:44
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/15/8f23e3282c1f499e096a92d7b0d27704.jpg

Here's an nice pic from last year. Out with Brady, twas a good night although my good sleeping bag was damaged. There are a few more trees at the spot I have chosen, I got to hang there two years ago with OldNSlow.

snidetripod
01-18-2016, 18:46
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/18/a9e72691191a9ba93f860fc33f41a438.jpg
Some reading before the weekend!!

mm53bar
01-18-2016, 20:11
Sounds like a great group hang! Hope you get some folks out for it. I'm a solid 3-season camper so I won't be there but look forward to seeing some pics!

snidetripod
01-18-2016, 20:16
Sounds like a great group hang! Hope you get some folks out for it. I'm a solid 3-season camper so I won't be there but look forward to seeing some pics!

For sure M. Too bad I won't have my new UQ, I would borrow you one. We have to get out this summer. I have a canoe now, so paddling is a definite option.

mm53bar
01-18-2016, 20:23
Sounds great! I've got a sit on top kayak and have been wanting to do Lakeland Provincial Park's canoe circuit. Sounds perfect!

Firesong
01-18-2016, 22:00
Ahh you should come out. Maybe make it work. Might be a short winter....

snidetripod
01-18-2016, 22:09
Ya, mm53bar. What's your quilt rated for anyway? I don't expect it to be too cold, this weekend is supposed to be around 0.
This time last year I was out there with my 0 UQ, 0 mummy, and a wool blanket on top. I slept toasty warm with the tarp off all night.

HangingKayaker
01-26-2016, 18:30
In all probability, two of us will be coming out for Saturday night, arriving some point during the day.

snidetripod
01-27-2016, 23:50
Will have a nice fire ready for your arrival.

snidetripod
01-28-2016, 19:52
Generously had some firewood donated to me today from a few removals, birch and spruce. Should be a good hot one.

Brady
01-29-2016, 11:16
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/15/8f23e3282c1f499e096a92d7b0d27704.jpg

Here's an nice pic from last year. Out with Brady, twas a good night although my good sleeping bag was damaged. There are a few more trees at the spot I have chosen, I got to hang there two years ago with OldNSlow.

That was a chilly night last year. Taught me to really make sure I bring enough gear.

snidetripod
01-29-2016, 14:48
Haha. Ya, it would have been for you. I was snug.

snidetripod
01-29-2016, 20:25
Okay, plans have changed. Seems that the awesome sites at the end of loop a are closed for the season, and I did not bring my sled. I will be camped out in site 137.

HangingKayaker
01-31-2016, 23:23
Video: Here's my quick trip report...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5F76kSYXM

bodhran4me
02-01-2016, 00:13
Video: Here's my quick trip report...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5F76kSYXM

Says video is private....:sneaky:

HangingKayaker
02-01-2016, 10:15
Says video is private....:sneaky:

sorry about that, it's fixed now.

Firesong
02-01-2016, 10:20
Looks like a good time!
Sorry I missed it :)
J

snidetripod
02-01-2016, 18:09
Nice HangingKayaker. Drone footage looks terrific. Glad you guys had fun, I'll pm you my contact info so we can maybe set up a hang in March. " the snides of march"

snidetripod
02-01-2016, 21:48
Okay, chapter one of my trip report is up. Only includes my first night. Enjoy. Chapter Two coming tmrw. Thanks everyone.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121174
First Annual Edmonton Area Polar Bear Hang

snidetripod
03-01-2016, 22:16
Guess I won't be back in time for a march hang, but I brought my gear to Lethbridge so solo is a possibility.

Firesong
03-02-2016, 08:36
Are there trees in Lethbridge? I remember it as being flat and hilly :)

mm53bar
03-15-2016, 18:24
If anyone in the Edmonton area is interested in a multi-day Jasper backpacking trip, I'm organizing one.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/122873-Canada-gt-Alberta-gt-Jasper-gt-North-Boundary-Trail-in-Summer-2016

snidetripod
03-31-2016, 08:21
I know it is short notice but this is usually how these things come together for me. My son and I will be out at Miquelon Lake this weekend, and if anyone wants to join you are more than welcome.

snidetripod
04-02-2016, 15:52
We are in A loop, site 55.

OldnSlow
04-02-2016, 17:08
I would love to be there, but I'm working until Wednesday morning.

Double Deke
04-03-2016, 18:17
Hey, I'm new to hammocks. I have no equipment just yet, but will get going this spring/summer. Thought I would touch base with some folks in the Edmonton area and see if any of you meet up much.

Firesong
04-03-2016, 21:16
There are a few and I try to meet up time to time as well

OldnSlow
04-03-2016, 21:18
I am an infrequent hanger, with a bunch of equipment that I can let you try, before laying out a bunch of money.

snidetripod
04-03-2016, 21:19
We try, but mostly I just solo. Get a rig together and you will be more than welcome to come out when I go.

snidetripod
04-03-2016, 21:22
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/c30632c7fd367db47629c58344622201.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/99a858cb8f02ac5c9c3ae13998b21987.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/58c0754d67eedcdf1ff358b01219cadf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/bb526bbb0fc88cddf8215325573ed22f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/2a2f2c598fb80a290ccf4e56dd4bd84b.jpg

Just some pics from our weekend at Miquelon.

OldnSlow
04-03-2016, 21:23
They look great! Looks like it was a great time!

Double Deke
04-05-2016, 00:50
There are a few and I try to meet up time to time as well
Cool.

I am an infrequent hanger, with a bunch of equipment that I can let you try, before laying out a bunch of money.
That would be great. Thanks.

We try, but mostly I just solo. Get a rig together and you will be more than welcome to come out when I go.
That's very generous. Thanks.

snidetripod
04-25-2016, 12:29
Going to be doing a one nighter with the boy on Saturday, don't have any ideas for location as of yet. Anyone want to join?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Firesong
04-25-2016, 15:13
I may be up next weekend at the Sandhills Saturday night with my daughter.

snidetripod
04-25-2016, 15:35
Man, sandhills is great. Are you thinking Viewpoint?

snidetripod
04-25-2016, 15:37
I may be up next weekend at the Sandhills Saturday night with my daughter.
Then you can show me how to set up the MC Uq

Firesong
04-25-2016, 19:46
I'm okay with letting other hangers in the area know as well. Might be some kids and my wife so id like a dry camp if you could let them know.

Love to get that UQ working for ya! Bringing my purple setup lol.

snidetripod
01-17-2017, 14:02
Hello Edmonton area hangers, I haven't been on for a while so just a shout out to see who is still active.
I am planning to get out in the next couple of weeks, if your interested shoot me a pm or post here.

Firesong
01-17-2017, 17:03
Hi! Getting the nice weather there?

snidetripod
01-17-2017, 18:49
Hi! Getting the nice weather there?
Yes man. This last weekend would have been perfect, -8 over night. Hopefully it holds, but I am am itching to try doubling the MW4 with my LSH multicam

Firesong
01-17-2017, 19:33
Looking for a bit of crazy are ya @snidetripod

snidetripod
01-17-2017, 19:37
Ya, still havent done -40

esmith
07-05-2017, 10:49
So, did this ever take off? Did you ever go out as a group?

snidetripod
07-05-2017, 16:29
We have done some group hangs, as for now, I have no tarp still, wink wink Firesong.

Firesong
07-05-2017, 22:20
Lol. Wink wink indeed. Was just up there and heading out to the mountains in a couple weeks.

esmith
07-06-2017, 09:53
Hey, that's great. An active group in the area is a bonus for sure!

snidetripod
02-27-2018, 16:16
Checking in. Roll call.

Firesong
02-27-2018, 18:27
Checking in. Roll call.

Hello stranger!

snidetripod
02-28-2018, 16:25
Howdy, it's been a while. Been extremely busy with work and stuff. Looking forward to getting out this year for some hang time, boy I miss it.

OldnSlow
05-30-2018, 13:55
I got out for a great hang May Long! Used my DD Frontline , DD tarp, and DIY underquilt. Toasty warm.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

esmith
06-08-2018, 16:30
I'm on my way out this weekend for my third trip this year.

Nice bonus that my package of odds and ends showed up from Little Shop of Hammocks this morning!

I was out at Elk River on May long. A few people around but hardly a crowd.