PDA

View Full Version : TRADED: DIY Primaloft UQ

hk2001
04-14-2014, 20:29
Up for trade is a DIY Torso length UQ, filled with loose fill primaloft. This is my third DIY filled UQ. I have taken this UQ to 25* myself, and I feel it could go lower, but that depends on how you sleep. Shell material is 1.1 oz nylon on both sides, and it's fully channeled. It has 11 baffles, which helps minimize shifting of the primaloft. Other than the increased baffle count, this is the same size as underquilts.com 20 degree "Foyle" (46x60x2")

Compressed, it is the exact same size as a JCP puffer jacket.. in fact, I've been using the stuff sack from a puffer for it.

Weight: 25oz in a JCP puffer stuff sack.

Not entirely sure what I'm looking for in trade, so right now, entertaining all offers.

kerryandjane
04-14-2014, 20:53
Wow, put this in the forsale section or would you trade for money?
Would you trade for 20yards (ish) of Under Armour camo fleece fabric on the roll?

hk2001
04-14-2014, 20:59
What pattern camo? Googling "under armor camo fleece" gives me quite a few camo patterns.. Also, what's the width of the roll?

kerryandjane
04-14-2014, 21:05
I'll have to measure it. I'm really unsure about both length and width. Will message back tommorow I'm out and about today. I just happen to be wearing this. I think it's the same camo type.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/qetumahe.jpg

pinballwizard
04-14-2014, 22:11
I have a new Yukkon hammock, still in package to offer if you would like. Can trade by shipping, or in person at the MAHHA if you prefer to save on shipping costs. Any interest in this?

hk2001
04-14-2014, 22:20
I have a new Yukkon hammock, still in package to offer if you would like. Can trade by shipping, or in person at the MAHHA if you prefer to save on shipping costs. Any interest in this?

No, but thank you for the offer :)

pinballwizard
04-14-2014, 22:33
hmmm... any interest in an external frame pack? :thumbup1: If not, what type of thing are you looking for :confused:

hk2001
04-14-2014, 22:49
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I just know I'm fairly set with hammocks (except maybe a Ridgerunner :lol:)

I've got a weakness for knives and fishing gear.

Any specs on the pack?

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 07:55
Interested in a Hennessey Monsoon Tarp?

pinballwizard
04-15-2014, 08:07
The Pack is pretty large with 1 main top load compartment, a large bottom compartment (good for quilts and other sleepy time items), 2 organizational pockets on each side, and a sizable organizational pocket on the front. Don't have specs for it though....

I have other items for trade, including new with tags down vests, 100 polartec fleeces, a few kershaw knives, and a Maxboost Electron 10000mAh. All items are new in box, (the external frame backpack is not new), all items are negotiable for trade. What I don't have at all is an UNDERQUILT. And I am ready to graduate from my big boy pad to an adult underquilt. However, I am a poor student, so trading is much better than buying expensive quilts :)

hk2001
04-15-2014, 08:11
Interested in a Hennessey Monsoon Tarp?

Sil or Poly?

I'm worried about the 120" length, my RL length is 110".. that doesn't leave a lot of room on either end.

hk2001
04-15-2014, 08:15
The Pack is pretty large with 1 main top load compartment, a large bottom compartment (good for quilts and other sleepy time items), 2 organizational pockets on each side, and a sizable organizational pocket on the front. Don't have specs for it though....

I have other items for trade, including new with tags down vests, 100 polartec fleeces, a few kershaw knives, and a Maxboost Electron 10000mAh. All items are new in box, (the external frame backpack is not new), all items are negotiable for trade. What I don't have at all is an UNDERQUILT. And I am ready to graduate from my big boy pad to an adult underquilt. However, I am a poor student, so trading is much better than buying expensive quilts :)

I'm sorry to say, but I'm going to have to pass on the items listed. :(

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 08:32
30d Silnylon. Is the primaloft a single flat sheet that is sewn thru creating the baffles?

pinballwizard
04-15-2014, 08:39
I'm sorry to say, but I'm going to have to pass on the items listed. :(

:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying: crying

Oh well, I guess this wasn't meant to be my first UQ. Thank you for considering all offers, and I hope you find what you are looking for. Maybe someone has a fishing pole that that attaches directly to a ridgeline for you. The fish bite and you are lightly woken up by the swaying motion of dinner, asking you to pull them out of the water for you:laugh:

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 08:47
The stock RL on the HH Exp UL is 109, that's the hammock I used. Pitched high with a CRL in good weather and low in bad. With the doors on one she's battened down tight.

Sil or Poly?

I'm worried about the 120" length, my RL length is 110".. that doesn't leave a lot of room on either end.

hk2001
04-15-2014, 08:49
30d Silnylon. Is the primaloft a single flat sheet that is sewn thru creating the baffles?

No, actually, it is Primaloft down alternative.. it's actually a loose fill material just like down. Basic info available here (http://www.primaloft.com/en/pl-home/home.html) It's the equivalent of 600fp down, and the nice thing about it is retains a majority of it's insulating properties when wet.

Two Tents
04-15-2014, 08:56
How about... a Stainless custom carved Opinel #6 that's been shaped down (by me. My knives have been much sought after at past MAHHA raffles) and weighs less than one ounce. It has the black baked on finish as well.

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 08:59
Thanks, I saw that it was a sheet material on their website. I thought I had saw that it was also a loose material once. So is your quilt a sewn thru or does it have baffles and chambers like a down quilt. If it does have baffles and chambers is it differentially cut?

I used the tarp with one door primarily and offset over the hammock.

No, actually, it is Primaloft down alternative.. it's actually a loose fill material just like down. Basic info available here (http://www.primaloft.com/en/pl-home/home.html) It's the equivalent of 600fp down, and the nice thing about it is retains a majority of it's insulating properties when wet.

Two Tents
04-15-2014, 09:04
link to pictures of my work. The knife I just finished and offer for your consideration isn't exactly carved them same. No two are ever alike.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?81186-Secret-Santa2013-Spaceweasel-s-revenge&p=1158632#post1158632

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 09:05
Thanks, I saw that it was a sheet material on their website. I thought I had saw that it was also a loose material once. So is your quilt a sewn thru or does it have baffles and chambers like a down quilt. If it does have baffles and chambers is it differentially cut?

I used the tarp with one door primarily and offset over the hammock with no issues but was only in a couple of strong rains. It's really only been on 1 overnight hike and a 2 night group hang with a few backyard overnights.

hk2001
04-15-2014, 09:16
Yes baffles and chambers like a down quilt. There is a slight differential in the UQ, not as extreme as a down quilt.. through experimentation, I've realized the primaloft actually preforms better with the reduced differential (and increased baffle count)

How would the HH tarp fit in a hammock stand? (see pic) Between the 2 uprights is 12' 6"

90% of my hanging is done in that stand :(

hk2001
04-15-2014, 09:19
link to pictures of my work. The knife I just finished and offer for your consideration isn't exactly carved them same. No two are ever alike.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?81186-Secret-Santa2013-Spaceweasel-s-revenge&p=1158632#post1158632

I'm going to pass on the Opi.. only for the reason that I was inspired by the one you offered up in the Spaceweasle, and I've got one sitting here that I'm going to try my hand at :D Although I'm intrigued by the black finish :D

As the saying goes.. about Imitation and flattery :D :thumbup:

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 09:29
How small does the quilt compact?

I'm going to pass on the Opi.. only for the reason that I was inspired by the one you offered up in the Spaceweasle, and I've got one sitting here that I'm going to try my hand at :D Although I'm intrigued by the black finish :D

As the saying goes.. about Imitation and flattery :D :thumbup:

Two Tents
04-15-2014, 09:30
I'd be willing to up the offer and include (reluctantly cause I really like it) I'll double down and throw in a Mora 546 stainless that I shaped, reduced the size and weight on and did a super nice sheath for it. It's a full blade guard sheath without a belt loop. Both the 546 and the custom sheath have the black baked on finish. A custom opie and a mora custom with sheath. Final offer.

hk2001
04-15-2014, 09:40
How small does the quilt compact?

Thank you for the offer Two Tents, but I'm going to pass :D

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 09:43
As long as the distance between the "attachment points is less than the tarp length you're golden. I've hung it in my office at 11'6".

Yes baffles and chambers like a down quilt. There is a slight differential in the UQ, not as extreme as a down quilt.. through experimentation, I've realized the primaloft actually preforms better with the reduced differential (and increased baffle count)

How would the HH tarp fit in a hammock stand? (see pic) Between the 2 uprights is 12' 6"

90% of my hanging is done in that stand :(

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 09:44
Thanks, the infamous wally world stuff sack?

Thank you for the offer Two Tents, but I'm going to pass :D

hk2001
04-15-2014, 09:50
That one is yes :lol: I was using a stuffsack for a JCP puffer (same size sack) but I think it's in the car..

I'm not turning down the tarp.. I just need to think about it.. I've got a few tarps now, and I'm trying to justify another in my head :lol:

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 10:10
Is the quilt compressed tightly in that or would it compress further? Where did you find the primaloft?

That one is yes :lol: I was using a stuffsack for a JCP puffer (same size sack) but I think it's in the car..

I'm not turning down the tarp.. I just need to think about it.. I've got a few tarps now, and I'm trying to justify another in my head :lol:

hk2001
04-15-2014, 10:29
I picked up the primaloft from Paul @ Arrowhead Equipment a few months ago. I was making pillows with it (and still do) but I decided to experiment with making baffled underquilts. It's in that stuff sack pretty tight.. it could go smaller with a compression sack

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 10:34
How about the tarp for the UQ and a custom pillow?

I picked up the primaloft from Paul @ Arrowhead Equipment a few months ago. I was making pillows with it (and still do) but I decided to experiment with making baffled underquilts. It's in that stuff sack pretty tight.. it could go smaller with a compression sack

hk2001
04-15-2014, 10:42
:lol: :lol: :lol: whoa whoa whoa.. aren't you suppose to sweeten your end of the deal? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh: Like I said, I'm still considering the tarp.. I've got a few.. but none with end caps, doors, blast panels, or anything of that type. I've got to go outside and measure the height of the supports on my hammock stand, see if the "doors" will fit on it. But we're getting hammered (http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/USNY0298) with rain and wind right now. I'm just hoping that snow stays far FAR away..

Forgot to ask you too.. what's the condition on the tarp?

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 10:57
It's like new all of the stock guy lines are attached. It's the coyote brown 3 tieouts on each side, can't imagine the height being too much of a concern. It's just a pillow...
;)

pinballwizard
04-15-2014, 11:03
you said you love fishing. Any interest in a new fly rod case? :thumbup1:

ferrulewax
04-15-2014, 11:45
What is your approx trade value, so I can make accurate trade offers?

hk2001
04-15-2014, 11:52
I'd consider the trade value at between $130 and $150.

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 12:02
BTW, what's your concern regarding the height of your supports? The sides are 40".

:lol: :lol: :lol: whoa whoa whoa.. aren't you suppose to sweeten your end of the deal? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh: Like I said, I'm still considering the tarp.. I've got a few.. but none with end caps, doors, blast panels, or anything of that type. I've got to go outside and measure the height of the supports on my hammock stand, see if the "doors" will fit on it. But we're getting hammered (http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/USNY0298) with rain and wind right now. I'm just hoping that snow stays far FAR away..

Forgot to ask you too.. what's the condition on the tarp?

hk2001
04-15-2014, 12:28
Worried that the 2 braces on my hammock stand will not allow the doors to be used.

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 12:45
The length of the door to the center mitten hook on the bottom is about 38". If your upright angle was 45* and the you have 30" on each side of the tarp you should have about 48" of vertical or about 10" clear below the door.

Right angle calculator here> http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

(just measured).
Worried that the 2 braces on my hammock stand will not allow the doors to be used.

hk2001
04-15-2014, 18:15
Just measured the stand.. I get 38" of vertical clearance 3' in from the tie outs, which would leave 6'6" between the doors. No matter how I run the numbers I just don't think it's going to fit. And unlike a superfly, I can't fold the doors down around the uprights of the stand. :eek:

dirtwheels
04-15-2014, 18:31
The center point of the doors have a mitten hook which would allow your to tie them inward creating a inward "v". Not doubting your actual measurements at all. Would a short piece of shock cord from the bottom middle mitten hook to a eye at a lower point on the upright work to keep the door away from the upright?

Just measured the stand.. I get 38" of vertical clearance 3' in from the tie outs, which would leave 6'6" between the doors. No matter how I run the numbers I just don't think it's going to fit. And unlike a superfly, I can't fold the doors down around the uprights of the stand. :eek:

hk2001
04-16-2014, 16:31
It might.. I've been playing with the hammock stand this morning.. I even mocked up HH blast doors out of tyvek using my Sil hex tarp.. And honestly I can't see it working...

However, I now have 2 tyvek doors that will work with my hex tarp :boggle:

Between the concern for the Ridge line length, and the high probability it will not work in my stand, I'm going to pass for right now on the Hennessey Tarp. I apologize for wasting your time dirtwheels.

Are there any other offers for the quilt?

warhead78
04-16-2014, 17:17
Withdrawn for post count, my apologies.

dirtwheels
04-16-2014, 17:26
You didn't waste my time, you just did due diligence to determine fit & function. However I was inexorably teased in the process! ;)

Do you have a thread on your primaloft UQ or can point me to a design that works well? Thanks!

It might.. I've been playing with the hammock stand this morning.. I even mocked up HH blast doors out of tyvek using my Sil hex tarp.. And honestly I can't see it working...

However, I now have 2 tyvek doors that will work with my hex tarp :boggle:

Between the concern for the Ridge line length, and the high probability it will not work in my stand, I'm going to pass for right now on the Hennessey Tarp. I apologize for wasting your time dirtwheels.

Are there any other offers for the quilt?

hk2001
04-16-2014, 17:49
No write up yet.. I've got 1 more primaloft one I need to make for a RL friend, I plan on making all the notes and such then.

Dos
04-16-2014, 18:23
Man!! I just saw this thread.
oooooooohhhhhhh....... I really like that UQ.

will see what I have to trade.....

dingbat
04-16-2014, 20:51
How about a Temple Fork Outfitters IM6 9' graphite fly rod?

Out of curriosity, why do you want to get rid of it?

Dos
04-16-2014, 20:53
I have one Logitech illuminated keyboard (new $75) in box. One of my favs.
One large IMUSA pot with stove, windscreen, stand, cover and cozy
and one flute :Emerson.

(I am SURE I am can come up with something more creative! LOL!)

do i need to throw in a pointy thing?!? ;)

ok...
I have some Hennessey snakeskins,
one compression sack ( for like a sleeping bag)
and some reflectex as well.

Dos
04-16-2014, 21:00
oh wait! (LOL)

I have an extra set of hiking poles and
will you buy you the equivalent from Omaha Steaks.

any of the above combinations are valid (when agreed upon ) ;)

hk2001
04-16-2014, 21:18
How about a Temple Fork Outfitters IM6 9' graphite fly rod?

Out of curriosity, why do you want to get rid of it?

Which model, weight and action?

Getting rid of it because it's extra atm. And I need to room ( to make more stuff!).

hk2001
04-16-2014, 21:29
oh wait! (LOL)

I have an extra set of hiking poles and
will you buy you the equivalent from Omaha Steaks.

any of the above combinations are valid (when agreed upon ) ;)

Did I just get invited to dinner? :lol: After you throw a pointy thing at me? :lol:

Going to pass on the keyboard, poles, IMUSA kit, and the flute (but that is a first too :D )

Intrigued by the pointy

dingbat
04-16-2014, 21:29
Which model, weight and action?

Getting rid of it because it's extra atm. And I need to room ( to make more stuff!).

Model is TFO 906-4 WS
Line weight #6
Can't find anything that lists the action. It's a four piece and says brown trout on the package.

Dos
04-16-2014, 21:47
Did I just get invited to dinner? :lol: After you throw a pointy thing at me? :lol:

Going to pass on the keyboard, poles, IMUSA kit, and the flute (but that is a first too :D )

Intrigued by the pointy

Nothing intrigues you at this time but pointy things atm.

Did you even look at the whole Omaha Steak website?
FIsh, pork, veggies, steak (duh).

ok.
I will look for said pointy thing ;)

What do you have in mind?
Curious minds want to know.

Quattro15
04-16-2014, 22:07
I have a Buck Vantage Pro S30V knife in very good condition if you're interested?

hk2001
04-16-2014, 22:08
Honestly I thought it was a chain resteraunt :lol: But I'm going to pass on that as well (faaar to expensive)

I have no idea what I'm looking for in a pointy. I already cut myself on the last one I got from you :eek:

Dos
04-16-2014, 22:24
I have no idea what I'm looking for in a pointy. I already cut myself on the last one I got from you :eek:

ok....what would you and the Mrs hk2001 like?

SURELY ("and don't call me Shirley") there is SOMETHING that you 2 would like ;)

Ben Guss
04-17-2014, 10:48
Would any of the following interest you:

A wheatlys box full of trout flys

Salmon and steelhead plugs

Shimano baitcasting reel

Wet suit

msr cookset

Let me know if any of these or a combination sound interesting.
Thanks,
Ben

Two Tents
04-17-2014, 11:02
How about a Golite pursuit pack. Size large

dirtwheels
04-17-2014, 11:24
HK, do you really want to live long and prosper? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqT6trWv0rE

hk2001
04-17-2014, 11:53
@ Photosenior : PM set requesting more info on on some items.

@ Dingbat: Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass on the rod.

@ Quattro15: Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass on the Buck.

@ Twotents: I have 2 packs in that size range, Thanks for the offer, but I need to pass.

I'll be away for a few hours.. but will get back later.

dingbat
04-17-2014, 12:29
@ Dingbat: Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass on the rod.

No worries, maybe I'll take up fly fishing.

This did prompt me to call TFO and find out more about the rod. It is now called their Pro Series II. Same exact rod, medium-fast action. Rod is probably 12-13 years old when they called it the Western Series.

Dos
04-17-2014, 16:00
This was awesome dirtwheels!! Made my day!

HK, do you really want to live long and prosper? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqT6trWv0rE

gnar
04-17-2014, 17:10
how about a gerber lmf 2 (well used but in good shape, and has a great no ?s asked warranty) also mil gortex bivy, dutch fly, 2 dutch hooks, about 20 ft black amsteel, about 20 ft of I believe zing it?? its grey if tha helps identify it. open to keep adding stuff if ya want

dirtwheels
04-17-2014, 17:52
Just my genuine attempt to make one marriage better. :laugh: Heck it might even make 2 better.

This was awesome dirtwheels!! Made my day!

hk2001
04-17-2014, 20:35
ok....what would you and the Mrs hk2001 like?

SURELY ("and don't call me Shirley") there is SOMETHING that you 2 would like ;)

Me and Mrs.HK have a few trips planned this summer and I should be looking at filling in gaps in gear to fit her needs.. Hmmm

Dos
04-17-2014, 22:56
ok...
what kind of gear gaps does the mrs hk2001 have?

2) how can anyone EVERY refuse food?
(I do have a few coupons coming to me) :mellow:

hk2001
04-18-2014, 07:41
We're on basically a 100 mile diet (not 100%, but close) with 90% of the food we eat coming from within 20 miles of home. Easy to do up here. We're actually looking at buying a place that would allow us to be 100% self sustaining. Mail order food is an entirely foreign concept to us.

As far as gaps in her gear.. I've got to admit, she needs a sil tarp, a pack in the low to mid 30 liter range.. Maybe a bridge hammock ( netless Ridgerunner? ) as she hasn't been 100% comfy in a gathered end.

dirtwheels
04-18-2014, 09:27
I've got one...if it's for her use does the stand really matter? How short am I from what you need for the trade? A pair of Dutch wasp?

We're on basically a 100 mile diet (not 100%, but close) with 90% of the food we eat coming from within 20 miles of home. Easy to do up here. We're actually looking at buying a place that would allow us to be 100% self sustaining. Mail order food is an entirely foreign concept to us.

As far as gaps in her gear.. I've got to admit, she needs a sil tarp, a pack in the low to mid 30 liter range.. Maybe a bridge hammock ( netless Ridgerunner? ) as she hasn't been 100% comfy in a gathered end.

hk2001
04-18-2014, 11:19
So.. UQ and Pillow for HH sil monsoon and a pair of wasps?

dirtwheels
04-18-2014, 11:36
Twist my arm already.....ok

So.. UQ and Pillow for HH sil monsoon and a pair of wasps?

hk2001
04-18-2014, 11:51
Agreed :)

Hk2001 and dirtwheels: Primaloft UQ and pillow for a HH Monsoon and a pair of Dutch Wasps.

I'll pm you for the finer details (pillow size etc) but I believe we can label this as trade complete. :thumbup:

dirtwheels
04-18-2014, 11:54
Sweet!!!!:)

agreed :)

hk2001 and dirtwheels: Primaloft uq and pillow for a hh monsoon and a pair of dutch wasps.

I'll pm you for the finer details (pillow size etc) but i believe we can label this as trade complete. :thumbup:

dirtwheels
04-18-2014, 12:03
Sweet!!!!:)

agreed :)

hk2001 and dirtwheels: Primaloft uq and pillow for a hh monsoon and a pair of dutch wasps.

I'll pm you for the finer details (pillow size etc) but i believe we can label this as trade complete. :thumbup:

hk2001
04-18-2014, 13:49
Trade complete, Addresses swapped, Thank you all!!

Mods, please lock the thread

Hk2001 and dirtwheels: Primaloft UQ and pillow for a HH Monsoon and a pair of Dutch Wasps.