PDA

View Full Version : MA>Harold Parker State Forest<< Andover, MA<<< June 27-29

Pages : [1] 2

sunshower
04-14-2014, 20:47
Harold Hang 2
We have 5 sites reserved- 4 adults and 2 car max per site. We stayed here last Summer and had a blast! Join us.

So far we have:::
Gastar
Mp3prozac and Sunshower
Jofish
Zappa870
Atrane21
semperfiguy
hangintuff
countryroads

several possibles

We have enough sites. Remember to add yourself to the spreadsheet

Grey Eagle
04-14-2014, 20:52
Is this June 27-29 or July 25-27?

sunshower
04-14-2014, 20:53
June 27-29.

Grey Eagle
04-14-2014, 20:56
In that case, I can't make it. Thought the trip report forum listed the July dates.

sunshower
04-14-2014, 20:59
Sorry it did. I was listing the dates we were available.

shrineclown
04-14-2014, 21:17
We will try to be there...too far in advance for me to know yet work schedule. Our last lax tournament is that weekend in Amherst...so we could arrive all smelly. Thanks for the heads up gastar...I have been so busy I have been negligent keeping up here. Would probably stay over Sunday too...to make sure Chaaazzzz wears some bug dope.

Snaggletooth
04-14-2014, 21:21
The fist 9 to sign up get to stay at one of the already reserved sites 201, 205,206 for about $5. per nigt. Anyone beyond that number will need to reserve another and hang on whatever site we as a group reserved where the trees are good. If you choice to get another site you have to use www.reserveamerica.com

sunshower
04-14-2014, 21:25
We will stay on 205.. 2 more are welcome :0) except that snoring bear.

jofish
04-14-2014, 21:38
Count me in. Wonder if I'll find more forest beers this time!

Snaggletooth
04-14-2014, 21:45
Count me in. Wonder if I'll find more forest beers this time! I forgot about that!~ funny

zappa870
04-15-2014, 05:57

they grow wild around here, LOL

zappa870
04-15-2014, 05:59
Harold Hang 2
We have three sites reserved- 4 adults and 2 car max per site. We stayed here last Summer and had a blast! Join us.

Gastar
Mp3prozac and Sunshower
Jofish
Shrineclown and crew /possible

I will try to make it

atrane21
04-15-2014, 07:04
Count me in. I should be able to make those dates. Looking forward to it!

sunshower
04-15-2014, 07:12
they grow wild around here, LOL

Zappa, if you need a ride let us know. We live right off Rt 1.

SkyPainter
04-15-2014, 07:32
===> I'm in, pending medical appts. Should be fine! Picking-up a 55 gallon drum of insect repellant! LOL!

~ Sky

raiffnuke
04-15-2014, 07:52
I am a strong possible at this point.

Snaggletooth
04-15-2014, 09:14
Harold Hang 2
We have three sites reserved- 4 adults and 2 car max per site. We stayed here last Summer and had a blast! Join us.

Gastar
Mp3prozac and Sunshower
Jofish
Zappa870
Atrane21
Shrineclown and crew /possible

If more sites are needed I remember 211 and 212 were good as well.
SIGN UP SHEET HERE ----->https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dBfmnIEJIeQzvQOuZjROTtHHbZeVuy25j8D1FW3-cVg/edit#gid=0

atrane21
04-15-2014, 09:18
Which 3 sites are reserved? Does it matter which one i choose? i'm not to picky so i'll hang where ever.

Edit: Nvm, i see the 3 sites. I guess i should try reading everything first :)

Does anyone mountain bike? Would there be interest in a mountain bike ride some time over the weekend?

IMScotty
04-15-2014, 09:28
Hello, hope you don't mind if I at least drop by for a visit. I can walk there in less than an hour through the state forest. Sounds like fun

SemperFiGuy
04-15-2014, 19:06
I am a strong possible at this point.

Pete, I'm a strong possible also. In fact I'm so strong that I just reserved us site 207. It's good for 4 people/2 cars. I figure if you can make it, we can take two of the four spots. This hang is getting a lot of interest thanks to Megan, Nathan and Jerry and Alex, so it would seem that reserving site 207 is a good hedge. If it turns out you can't make it, let me know and I'm sure the slot will fill quickly. CountryRoads and Cosmic Camper might be interested in the other two on that site.

We'll see how it develops.

All the best.
Gil

JoshuaTrees
04-15-2014, 19:18
Pete, I'm a strong possible also. In fact I'm so strong that I just reserved us site 207. It's good for 4 people/2 cars. I figure if you can make it, we can take two of the four spots. This hang is getting a lot of interest thanks to Megan, Nathan and Jerry and Alex, so it would seem that reserving site 207 is a good hedge. If it turns out you can't make it, let me know and I'm sure the slot will fill quickly. CountryRoads and Cosmic Camper might be interested in the other two on that site.

We'll see how it develops.

All the best.
Gil

Ha, it was you! I literally just had that site selected and ready to go in the shopping cart and was mulling over whether I should grab it or not because it said it was still available, then when I finally decided to pull the trigger it was gone. :laugh:
I ended up booking a site a little further down the road.

SemperFiGuy
04-15-2014, 19:43
Ha, it was you! I literally just had that site selected and ready to go in the shopping cart and was mulling over whether I should grab it or not because it said it was still available, then when I finally decided to pull the trigger it was gone. :laugh:
I ended up booking a site a little further down the road.

Hangin Tuff,

This hang is growing in leaps and bounds. Pretty soon we'll have the whole campground. :)

Look forward to seeing you there.

All the best!
Gil

Hangingten
04-15-2014, 19:47
I'm a tentative - my first group hang and it's nearby. I will look thru the details and post when sure.

sunshower
04-15-2014, 19:52
Awesome!!!

sunshower
04-15-2014, 19:55
signed us up- added available sites except for Gil's and Josh's

CountryRoads
04-15-2014, 21:52
I'm pretty sure I can make it. Gil, I'll definitely chip in for 207! Sounds like a big mini hang!

Snaggletooth
04-15-2014, 22:12
[QUOTE=atrane21;124186

Does anyone mountain bike? Would there be interest in a mountain bike ride some time over the weekend?[/QUOTE]
I may bring my Mbike and Kayak here. As much as we wanted to get sites on the water it wasn't posable for this hang.
Even though this is car camping there is plenty of exploring and decent fishing at HP.

jofish
04-15-2014, 23:17
Does anyone mountain bike? Would there be interest in a mountain bike ride some time over the weekend?

I'll probably be coming in on my bike. It's more of hybrid bike, though, and can only handle some of the trails there but definitely not others. Last year I did a combination of biking & hiking that worked out quite well.

jofish
04-15-2014, 23:23
If the weather cooperates swimming might also be in order.

IMScotty
04-16-2014, 06:49
Sounds like this gathering is coming together nicely. I look forward to meeting some of you. I live locally so feel free to PM me if you need any help with local logistics.

04-16-2014, 07:02
I'm in. Last trip there was a great time. The only thing that might mess this up for me is another 50 mile trip on the long trail I'm doing right around that time.

1960HikerDude
04-16-2014, 12:31
I'm in!

I just booked site 208 so I can bring my pop-up trailer for Mrs. 1960HikerDude. I will hang with the group, of course.

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 13:33
I'm in. Last trip there was a great time. The only thing that might mess this up for me is another 50 mile trip on the long trail I'm doing right around that time.

John,

I'll save you one of the spots on 207. It's your unless you tell me otherwise.

Gil

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 13:34
I'm in!

I just booked site 208 so I can bring my pop-up trailer for Mrs. 1960HikerDude. I will hang with the group, of course.

Tom,

That's great. Look forward to seeing you again. We'll have some familiar faces on 207.

All the best.
Gil

SkyPainter
04-16-2014, 16:15
Is there an open spot, or should I reserve another site?

~ Sky

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 17:44
I'm pretty sure I can make it. Gil, I'll definitely chip in for 207! Sounds like a big mini hang!

Chelsea,

You got one of the spots unless you tell me otherwise. :)

Going to be fun. Lot's of interest.

G

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 17:55

~ Sky

Sky, Go to the sign up sheet and take the open spot on 207. It's paid for. You'll be good to go.

Hope all is well.

All the best !
Gil

SkyPainter
04-16-2014, 18:44
===> Can't edit the sign up sheet for some reason. I am in. Put me in site 207, or let me know and I will reserve another site.

~ Sky

sunshower
04-16-2014, 20:02

~ Sky

I reserved two sites-- someone please use 206!!!

SkyPainter
04-16-2014, 20:03
==> Okay! 206 is fine!

sunshower
04-16-2014, 20:10
==> Okay! 206 is fine!

Added you to the spreadsheet.

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 20:34
Added you to the spreadsheet.

Thanks Megan for getting Chaaz squared away on the sign up sheet. This has turned out to be a popular hang with a lot of our fellow NEHHA hangers jumping in. I don't think any of our sites will go unattended. I see you have some open spots on 206 so if anyone asks me, I'll send them that way. Otherwise, I have at least one open on 207.

Sorry to hear the puppies won't be coming but............ it's probably a good rest for you and Nate. That's a good thing. :)

All the best !
Gil

Snaggletooth
04-16-2014, 20:48
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/7avajymu.jpg
Here's a Map. We will be at Frye pond. Look SW corner

SemperFiGuy
04-16-2014, 20:58
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/7avajymu.jpg
Here's a Map. We will be at Frye pond. Look SW corner

Jerry,

Thanks for posting the topo. It gives a good perspective on where we'll be. (lower left quadrant for the geographically challenged.)

As you already stated in another post, there are a lot of good hiking trails and other activities available in the area.

Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Something to look forward to.

All the best !
Gil

Snaggletooth
04-16-2014, 21:12
In that case, I can't make it. Thought the trip report forum listed the July dates.
Sorry about the date mix up, maybe there will be another HP hang by the time the summer ends.

04-17-2014, 07:18
John,

I'll save you one of the spots on 207. It's your unless you tell me otherwise.

Gil
Thanks Gil. I moved myself on the spreadsheet. I'm going to get an update on the Long trail trip as soon as I can so I'm not holding a spot that I can't fill. Update you soon.

SkyPainter
04-17-2014, 11:53
===> I plan on hanging at Harold Parker SF several times this summer, and will post whenever I go. Anyone can join me! Some of the hangs I will be working on Bushcrafting skills, some testing gear, some just hangin out and fishing. Great place.

~ Sky

Rosaleen
04-17-2014, 12:35
I'm interested, as well as fairly local.

CountryRoads
04-17-2014, 12:41

Hey I found a full can of beer when I was searching for my hammock in the rain for like half an hour! Actually I stepped on it and crushed it! Luckily I didn't spray any unsuspecting hammockers with beer!

I will bring my new slackline!

Rosaleen
04-17-2014, 12:41
I'm interested, as well as fairly local. I just added myself to site 201, as it seemed to have one more hanging spot available. Move me if necessary. Will look for info about paying for site.

CountryRoads
04-17-2014, 12:47
Where's the spreadsheet? Can't find it. Hopefully Gil added me...

IMScotty
04-17-2014, 12:50
SIGN UP SHEET HERE ----->https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dBfmnIEJIeQzvQOuZjROTtHHbZeVuy25j8D1FW3-cVg/edit#gid=0

Here is a link to the spreadsheet...

atrane21
04-17-2014, 13:16
Hey I found a full can of beer when I was searching for my hammock in the rain for like half an hour! Actually I stepped on it and crushed it! Luckily I didn't spray any unsuspecting hammockers with beer!

I will bring my new slackline!

Looking forward to the slackline! Going to try it out a little more this time. Hope you've been practicing, i wana see you make it all the way and do some tricks.
Maybe with the extra bounce in yours i can really flip off! haha

Snaggletooth
04-17-2014, 13:21
Some of you will have to leave your car at the gate parking area or get dropped off at the park /car pool since only 2 are allowed per site. We can add a category to the sign up sheet if you will have a vehicle .

CountryRoads
04-17-2014, 13:58
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/18/uje8uned.jpg

Atrane, I haven't tried it yet. There are no good spots near my house. I think I'm going to take it to softball practice and let the team have a go at it! And, by the way, we didn't have the safety lock on the ratchet. It needs to be all the way closed up and then there's a second locking mechanism. This thing is going to be soo bouncy! I think I'll bring a helmet and see if I can find some pads for underneath. The difference in the static line that we tried and this one is that the static line was tubular webbing, flattened, and this one is just a single layer of webbing.

And, I haven't asked him yet but I was thinking of hitching a ride with Gil...

Gil, bring Charlie.

atrane21
04-17-2014, 14:09
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/18/uje8uned.jpg

Atrane, I haven't tried it yet. There are no good spots near my house. I think I'm going to take it to softball practice and let the team have a go at it! And, by the way, we didn't have the safety lock on the ratchet. It needs to be all the way closed up and then there's a second locking mechanism. This thing is going to be soo bouncy! I think I'll bring a helmet and see if I can find some pads for underneath. The difference in the static line that we tried and this one is that the static line was tubular webbing, flattened, and this one is just a single layer of webbing.

And, I haven't asked him yet but I was thinking of hitching a ride with Gil...

Gil, bring Charlie.

Awesome! can't wait to give it a go. I'll try and bring some extra cord and maybe we can string up the line above to help practice balance.

CountryRoads
04-17-2014, 14:13
Awesome! can't wait to give it a go. I'll try and bring some extra cord and maybe we can string up the line above to help practice balance.

Ahh, forgot to mention I'll bring some climbing rope to put above it.

Rubicon55
04-17-2014, 16:20
Any more room with this get together or are all the spots taken.

SemperFiGuy
04-17-2014, 16:36
Thanks Gil. I moved myself on the spreadsheet. I'm going to get an update on the Long trail trip as soon as I can so I'm not holding a spot that I can't fill. Update you soon.

Good deal John. Should be fun. Hopefully you'll be able to make it, but if you can't we'll do it another time.

Hope your DR project is moving along. Those are always time consuming and tense.

Talk to you soon.
Gil

JoshuaTrees
04-17-2014, 16:38
===> I plan on hanging at Harold Parker SF several times this summer, and will post whenever I go. Anyone can join me! Some of the hangs I will be working on Bushcrafting skills, some testing gear, some just hangin out and fishing. Great place.

~ Sky

sweet I was thinking about this at work today, this place is only an hour and twenty minutes away from me, so I was definitely thinking bout hanging there before the "summer hang". some bushcrafting sounds good they got squirrels there? :shades:

SemperFiGuy
04-17-2014, 16:38
Where's the spreadsheet? Can't find it. Hopefully Gil added me...

Chelsea,

I added you to site 207. You're good to go. I can give you a ride if you need one. I am thinking about bringing Charlie.

Talk to you soon.

Gil

JoshuaTrees
04-17-2014, 16:44
Any more room with this get together or are all the spots taken.

there is a whole campground! book a site near the group. lets fill this place up. :laugh:

Snaggletooth
04-17-2014, 17:15
sweet I was thinking about this at work today, this place is only an hour and twenty minutes away from me, so I was definitely thinking bout hanging there before the "summer hang". some bushcrafting sounds good they got squirrels there? :shades:

They got lots of brown squirrels tons!
On another note A good prank is rubbing some peanut butter on a friends tree straps at night. Shhhh

SkyPainter
04-17-2014, 17:48
===> They do, but in the summer. I do have a couple in the freezer.

~ Sky

civetta
04-17-2014, 18:22
I'm going to put in as a possible. A little far out to know what's going on, but I'll keep an eye on this. Havimg never been there, I'm not sure which sites are good for hanging. Anyone have a list?

fjones15
04-17-2014, 18:23
Chaaz My lynx shipped to day. Do you ever do any mid week hangs? Can't do weekends in summer
Fres

sunshower
04-17-2014, 19:57
Rubicon I added you to 206.. plenty of spots left :0)

sunshower
04-17-2014, 20:04
I'm going to put in as a possible. A little far out to know what's going on, but I'll keep an eye on this. Havimg never been there, I'm not sure which sites are good for hanging. Anyone have a list?

add yourself to the spreadsheet. there are a couple of spots left that are already reserved.

SkyPainter
04-17-2014, 20:05
Chaaz My lynx shipped to day. Do you ever do any mid week hangs? Can't do weekends in summer
Fres

===> Yup! I'm retired like you, remember? Mid week is fine!

Chaaaz

Rubicon55
04-18-2014, 08:02
Awesome. Hoping to get out a bunch before this so I am not so green before meeting up with you guys.

allhansondeck
04-18-2014, 08:32
Looking for info on NEHHA for a retired but enthusiastic hanger from NH

atrane21
04-18-2014, 08:44
I'm sure someone else will pitch in, but theres a few official NEHHA events per year but there's a ton of other gatherings. This is one of them. If you keep your eye on the Northeast section here on the forum there's things that pop up all over.

CountryRoads
04-18-2014, 13:59

Check out some of the trip reports for NEHHA events. The most recent was the NEHHA Spring Swing. Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but there's at least 3 big official NEHHA hangs a year.

dandv
04-18-2014, 15:36
Have all the spots been filled yet??? Should I book another site??? does anybody know if site #302 ok for multiple hammocks???? I will book this site if we need another.

SemperFiGuy
04-18-2014, 19:39

Allhandsondeck,

NEHHA is a not for profit organization loosely consisting of a bunch of folks of all sizes, shapes and colors that come together periodically to share in our common love and interest of the outdoors, and in doing so, spend the nights hanging in hammocks.

There is no cost to join. There is no obligation to meet or attend. As Alex (ATRANE) said earlier, we have at least 3 "formal" hangs per year: One in the Fall; one in the Winter; and one in the Spring. Those hangs are usually well attended by 60 or more of us. They are filled with fun, seminars on various topics of interest, ie., compass/gps navigation; knife/blade sharpening; stove making; etc........ We informally swap recipes, involve ourselves in shenanigans of the highest magnitude, and are all eligible for psychiatric confinement. Our version of fun in the winter is to hope that the temperature drops to 10 or 15 below zero right before the winter hang and that at least 24 inches of snow proceeds that.

The mere fact that you are inquiring about us shows that you may have the psychiatric imbalance necessary to become one of us.

We would love to meet you and have you become a part of our pack.

The official officers of our organization are (Trail Names) Raifnuke and Nighthauk. If you need more information, feel free to contact them either openly or in a private message (PM). If you would like more info from me, please contact my Probation Officer, [email protected] and he will let you know how to reach me.

If you need any contraband, contact SkyPainter and he'll hook you up !

All the best !
Gil

Nighthauk
04-18-2014, 20:06
Gil I couldn't have said it better myself. Great summation on the group.

sunshower
04-19-2014, 08:21
Have all the spots been filled yet??? Should I book another site??? does anybody know if site #302 ok for multiple hammocks???? I will book this site if we need another.

For how many? There are spots -- click on the spreadsheet link on page 2.

sunshower
04-19-2014, 08:23

Here is the spreadsheet- add yourself

dandv
04-19-2014, 13:34
Signed up for site 201 unless there are any objections... I'm flexable... Thanks sunshower

sunshower
04-19-2014, 16:21
looks like if you are interested in joining us at this point grab a new site from www.reserveamerica.com
i drove around and highlighted good sites---->>>>115, 46, 44, 43, 41, 224, 222, 220, 212, 211, 20, 102, 103, 105, 106

sunshower
04-19-2014, 16:34
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/dunupaja.jpggearing up to be a nice year of hammocking!

SkyPainter
04-20-2014, 11:00
Hello, hope you don't mind if I at least drop by for a visit. I can walk there in less than an hour through the state forest. Sounds like fun

===> Drop by! We would love to have you there! And it will be fun!
Hope to see you!

~ SkyPainter

CountryRoads
04-20-2014, 11:46
Sounds like this gathering is coming together nicely. I look forward to meeting some of you. I live locally so feel free to PM me if you need any help with local logistics.

Definitely come by, bring your hammock and stay a while!

SemperFiGuy
04-21-2014, 19:18
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/dunupaja.jpggearing up to be a nice year of hammocking!

Nate,

You're looking pretty comfortable there. Makes me want to go string up the Thunderbird and take a nap.

I took a great hike today with "Charlie", at October Mountain in Lee, MA. It was a great day for a hike. 60's almost 70. Trail was a little wet in spots, but no worries. Charlie had a blast. He's still napping, 3 hours later.

We appreciate all the work you and Megan have put into the HP hang in June. I'm looking forward to it.

All the best !
Gil

CountryRoads
04-21-2014, 20:52
Yeah, Nate looks comfy!

I finally set up the slackline today. Way easier to bounce, way, way harder to ballence! We will need that overhead rope! And the helmet (actually I should just bring all my hockey gear!), and if anyone has a giant air mattress they'll let us abuse...I'm not holding my breath on that request. I should look on Craig's list...

And, yeah, thanks Megan for all the work you're putting into this.

sunshower
04-21-2014, 21:03
Thanks everyone! Excited about all the new people who might come.

Rubicon55
04-21-2014, 21:23
Was wondering if there will be any hangs or hikes in the near future. Cant wait for the Harold Park hang and meet you guys but would like to get out in the near future. Hiked up the back side of Sunapee Saturday to lake solitude great day.

atrane21
04-21-2014, 21:27
I think there's 3 being planned in may. One at mt greylock, 1 in maine on the saco river, and another for hiking the AT over memorial weekend.
If u keep an eye on the northeast section here on the forum theres a ton of stuff going on.

sunshower
04-24-2014, 16:31
Getting closer!

brazilianguy
05-02-2014, 18:35
Hey guys, I'd like to join, any space left?

Been hanging full-time since last Fall, threw away my bed during winter. Haven't hammock camped yet. Just ordered a DangerBird and a tarp, excited to hang outdoors.

Snaggletooth
05-02-2014, 19:29
Hey guys, I'd like to join, any space left?

Been hanging full-time since last Fall, threw away my bed during winter. Haven't hammock camped yet. Just ordered a DangerBird and a tarp, excited to hang outdoors.
Congratulations on being bed free.
Did you see the sign up sheet for this? Looks like the sites that we got so far are full, however you can always reserve another Sunshower posted a list of sites with good trees. Someone usually cancels last minute, but might be risky to count on that.

Billiard Pete
05-05-2014, 09:16
Depending on how healed up I am (had a surgery on the 11 of April) I might either come for the hang or if it's OK pop in on Saturday for a few hours and hang around...

sunshower
05-05-2014, 20:55
Depending on how healed up I am (had a surgery on the 11 of April) I might either come for the hang or if it's OK pop in on Saturday for a few hours and hang around...

Would be great either way- you're always welcome.

Billiard Pete
05-06-2014, 03:38
Thanks, look forward to it...
Would be great either way- you're always welcome.

shrineclown
05-06-2014, 07:43
Hi Sunshower, you may want to put a link to the spreadsheet in your original post. Still hoping to roll in Saturday night and stay Sunday too. Depend on work schedule.

Billiard Pete
05-06-2014, 09:16
Hey Shrineclown,

My Budy Gary (has the bumble bee BMW) says he thinks he rides with you. Need to get him to try hanging...

Pete

brazilianguy
05-06-2014, 16:11
Congratulations on being bed free.
Did you see the sign up sheet for this? Looks like the sites that we got so far are full, however you can always reserve another Sunshower posted a list of sites with good trees. Someone usually cancels last minute, but might be risky to count on that.

mmmm I see. Anyone got a site that's not on the xls? That has a spot for me?

brazilianguy
05-06-2014, 16:17
Actually, I might book 212, anyone interested in sharing?

atrane21
05-07-2014, 07:08
i'm sure if you book it and put it on the spreadsheet someone will hop in with you.

sunshower
05-07-2014, 08:26
Hi Sunshower, you may want to put a link to the spreadsheet in your original post. Still hoping to roll in Saturday night and stay Sunday too. Depend on work schedule.

I will message a moderator to add it. I am unable to do so myself.

sunshower
05-07-2014, 08:38
Actually, I might book 212, anyone interested in sharing?

Message allhandsondeck and hanginten--they were interested too, but don't have sites. I added you to the spreadsheet. Looks like Shrineclown will stay Sat and needs a site as well.

sunshower
05-07-2014, 08:52
i also added the spreadsheet to my signature

SkyPainter
05-08-2014, 16:53
===> REALLY looking forward to THIS hang! Might even bring my daughter "Ewok" to hang with us! I may actually reserve another site, as more people are seemingly signing on. I NEED this hang!

~ SkyPainter

Grey Eagle
05-08-2014, 21:36
Does anyone know what cell service is available at the hang? I'm the SAR duty officer during that time and need to be in cell phone contact at all times.

Snaggletooth
05-08-2014, 23:47
Does anyone know what cell service is available at the hang? I'm the SAR duty officer during that time and need to be in cell phone contact at all times.

I'm pretty sure you can get everything there. I have ATT and never had trouble. I'll be hangin there on Memorial Day weekend and will verify at registration. I'll check out all our sites while there too.

Grey Eagle
05-08-2014, 23:51
I'm pretty sure you can get everything there. I have ATT and never had trouble. I'll be hangin there on Memorial Day weekend and will verify at registration. I'll check out all our sites while there too.

Thanks. If that works I may be able to attend.

sunshower
05-09-2014, 05:11
Did 212 get reserved?

jofish
05-09-2014, 07:39

I had good coverage there. I have Verizon.

Grey Eagle
05-09-2014, 07:56
I had good coverage there. I have Verizon.
Thanks for the info.

brazilianguy
05-09-2014, 09:14
Just reserved 212.

It will be me and a buddy there, he will, unfortunately, be doing tent camping. But I'll be hanging.

We booked it for 3 nights.

SkyPainter
05-09-2014, 16:33
===> Cell service at HP should not be a problem. I have never had an issue there.

Where will you be hanging on Memorial Day Jerry? I may be able to hang that weekend too!

~ Sky

SemperFiGuy
05-09-2014, 20:03

Roger, I used to live in Andover. It's a major Burb North of Boston. All cell carriers are covered and signals are generaly 5 by 5. (Propogation notwithstanding).

Hope you can make it.
Gil

CountryRoads
05-10-2014, 00:00
Just reserved 212.

It will be me and a buddy there, he will, unfortunately, be doing tent camping. But I'll be hanging.

We booked it for 3 nights.Ground dwellers always welcome! Between this group of hangers, we certainly have extra hammock setups if he wanted to try it though.

sunshower
05-10-2014, 04:38
There will be some tenters on 205 too :0)

brazilianguy
05-10-2014, 05:12
Ground dwellers always welcome! Between this group of hangers, we certainly have extra hammock setups if he wanted to try it though.

Awesome! I'll let him know. Thanks.

Snaggletooth
05-11-2014, 13:05
===>

Where will you be hanging on Memorial Day Jerry? I may be able to hang that weekend too!

~ Sky

I've got one of the big sites on the water. I'll have Gretchen (older daughter )with me and trying to get the rest if my family to stay overnight but I doubt it. Come on by if your free.

SemperFiGuy
05-12-2014, 18:12
I've got one of the big sites on the water. I'll have Gretchen (older daughter )with me and trying to get the rest if my family to stay overnight but I doubt it. Come on by if your free.

Jerry,

I have a Kelty Trail Ridge 3 tent if you need it for some of the family. It's rated for 3 but realistically its best for 2. Let me know if you want me to throw it in the car. Also have a couple of extra hammocks I could bring.

Look forward to seeing you.

Gil

zappa870
05-16-2014, 04:23
I just saw this post. I will be all set for transport. My only concern is I just started new job and hopefully can arrange my schedule accorrdingly

Zappa, if you need a ride let us know. We live right off Rt 1.

SkyPainter
05-16-2014, 09:51
I just saw this post. I will be all set for transport. My only concern is I just started new job and hopefully can arrange my schedule accorrdingly

===> Just tell them this was a long-planned commitment, and you are integral to the event.

Hope to see you there!

~ Sky

1960HikerDude
05-16-2014, 15:08
There will be some tenters on 205 too :0)

Rumor has it, some Dude on 208 is bringing his RV. Oh! the humanity.

sunshower
05-18-2014, 20:24
Rumor has it, some Dude on 208 is bringing his RV. Oh! the humanity.

Oh boy. Bring the toilet paper, fellow hammockers!

SkyPainter
05-19-2014, 11:14
Oh boy. Bring the toilet paper, fellow hammockers!

===> Naaah. We just use leaves.

sunshower
05-20-2014, 19:50
===> Naaah. We just use leaves.

That wouldn't have the same effect as TPing his RV!

SkyPainter
05-20-2014, 21:40
That wouldn't have the same effect as TPing his RV!

===> Yeaaaah, maybe we can just Pimp his ride, and make it Camo for the weekend using branches and boughs.

~ Sky

Billiard Pete
05-21-2014, 03:49
Well my wife and dog faced son Georgie want to come (at least my wife does, but Georgie goes where we go). She reserved a site for us, not sure which one she said (I was watching Troy when she told me). I updated the work sheet.

SkyPainter
05-21-2014, 09:06
Well my wife and dog faced son Georgie want to come (at least my wife does, but Georgie goes where we go). She reserved a site for us, not sure which one she said (I was watching Troy when she told me). I updated the work sheet.

===> That's great Pete! Will be fun to hang with you again!

~ Sky

Billiard Pete
05-21-2014, 09:10
Looking forward to the hang. Would also love to do some more hangs over the sumer (and learn some bush skill too)...

SkyPainter
05-21-2014, 19:28
Looking forward to the hang. Would also love to do some more hangs over the sumer (and learn some bush skill too)...

===> Great! You can start your bush skills learning over at our 'sister site',
www.BushcraftUSA.com

Find the 'Forums' link at the top of the page banner, and read, watch, learn!

~ SkyPainter (on both sites)

Billiard Pete
05-22-2014, 03:43
www.BushcraftUSA.com

~ SkyPainter (on both sites)Just call me BilliardYeti (screen name)...

atrane21
05-22-2014, 07:07
www.BushcraftUSA.com

~ SkyPainter (on both sites)

Great forum and community!! A lot of awesome people on there that really know they're stuff.

05-22-2014, 08:04
Looks like I'm confirmed for this trip. My Long trail trip won't start until the 1st or 2nd. I'm looking forward to spending a week in the woods.

SkyPainter
05-22-2014, 09:00
Looks like I'm confirmed for this trip. My Long trail trip won't start until the 1st or 2nd. I'm looking forward to spending a week in the woods.

===> AWESOME John! Looking forward to hangin with you again! (I picked-up a 500 Lumen flashlight for cheap at Costco, of all places!)

I'm thinking of changing my tarp suspension, using some Dutch Bling. Maybe you or Tim could coach me a little there.

~ Chaaaz

brazilianguy
05-22-2014, 09:04
I'm really excited about this hang guys. I just got my DangerBird in the mail yesterday and spent the night in at home, can't wait to get it out in the wild!

jofish
05-22-2014, 13:43
It's getting to be a big group! Is there a reason why we shouldn't call this the NEHHA Summer Hang? I noticed that we've had Fall, Winter, and Spring NEHHA hangs, but so far no official Summer hang. Purely out of curiosity.

05-23-2014, 06:41
===> AWESOME John! Looking forward to hangin with you again! (I picked-up a 500 Lumen flashlight for cheap at Costco, of all places!)

I'm thinking of changing my tarp suspension, using some Dutch Bling. Maybe you or Tim could coach me a little there.

~ Chaaaz

Hi Chaaaz. Can do, I'll be sporting a new setup also. Bridge with AHE underquilt and I'm playing with a new tarp suspension using some Dutch goodness.

For a cheap throw in every toolbox flashlight try this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Cree-300LM-Mini-LED-Flashlight/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1383152265&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=cree+7W

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 09:11
Hi Chaaaz. Can do, I'll be sporting a new setup also. Bridge with AHE underquilt and I'm playing with a new tarp suspension using some Dutch goodness.

For a cheap throw in every toolbox flashlight try this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Cree-300LM-Mini-LED-Flashlight/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1383152265&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=cree+7W

===> GREAT! Whose Bridge hammock, or is it a DIY? The baby Cree has been in my sights as well. Hope I can find my Tarp Flyz and other DG envelope!

~ Chaaaz

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 09:20
It's getting to be a big group! Is there a reason why we shouldn't call this the NEHHA Summer Hang? I noticed that we've had Fall, Winter, and Spring NEHHA hangs, but so far no official Summer hang. Purely out of curiosity.

===> Good question! Summer hangs have been more impromptu in the past, with smaller groups. We have better communication now, more new hangers, an active group of old hangers, and more found hang sites, so NEHHA is growing quickly! Not to mention a great bunch-o-folks! The hangs are getting better organized, and the feasts are now legendary.

Maybe a June or July outing should become the "official" NEHHA Summer Hang!

What say you, Pres?

~ SkyPainter

Snaggletooth
05-23-2014, 10:08
I think this hang is going to be more like a block party. We dont have an auction, events or planned community dinner scheduled.

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 10:33
I think this hang is going to be more like a block party. We dont have an auction, events or planned community dinner scheduled.

===> Yup. Like I mentioned, less formal, more impromptu. Still boatloads of fun! Can't wait!

( I should have two good eyes by then, too! Second eye surgery is on the 12th )

I think we try some Bow Drill fire starting practice at this hang.

~ Sky

CountryRoads
05-23-2014, 12:42
===> Yup. Like I mentioned, less formal, more impromptu. Still boatloads of fun! Can't wait!

( I should have two good eyes by then, too! Second eye surgery is on the 12th )

I think we try some Bow Drill fire starting practice at this hang.

~ Sky
Yeah bow drill! And hope the surgery goes well. And John, glad you can make it!

05-23-2014, 13:21
===> GREAT! Whose Bridge hammock, or is it a DIY? The baby Cree has been in my sights as well. Hope I can find my Tarp Flyz and other DG envelope!

~ Chaaaz
Ridgerunner. To warm for the cover but I did pick up a spindrift with dual zippers to go with it.

I think bow drill is a good idea. I've been playing with bow drills and fire pistons and wanted an excuse to try the Alaskan bow drill method. I'll have to remember to make the mouth piece.

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 13:26
===> LOVE my Ridgerunner! I have the Lynx UQ and the Spindrift.

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 13:54

===> Thanks Chelsea! I am really looking forward to being able to see well again!

~ Chaaaz

fjones15
05-23-2014, 13:55
Chazzzzz
My Ridgerunner setup will be complete Tuesday. My 2QZQ camp argon UQ protector will be here.
fred

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 15:58
Chazzzzz
My Ridgerunner setup will be complete Tuesday. My 2QZQ camp argon UQ protector will be here.
fred

===> Awesome Fred! Hope you are digging the RR as much as I am! Haven't slept in any of my other hammocks, WBBBs included, since the RR showed-up! I did two winter hangs with just the Lynx UQ, and haven't even used the Spindrift yet. Great system, and easier on these old bones!

~ Chaaaz

BTW: Finally was persuaded to file with the VA. After the C&P exams, they decided I was a 100% Disabled Vet. Coulda filed years ago, but with the current focus on the VA, they pushed mine through pretty quick. More gear on the way! :)

dandv
05-23-2014, 16:33
Hey guys... just wondering what your favorite nabisco product is (you know "oreos" nutterbutters etc.) I might be able to get my hands on some "damaged" product at the warehouse I work at. Have any requests?

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 18:58
===> Two Bow Drill sets from the last HP hang. Although I finally got a decent ember and a good flame, it was not as good or fast as my Cedar sets.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/ajyhupaz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/su2edu6y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/u6agumar.jpg

~ SkyPainter

SemperFiGuy
05-23-2014, 19:19

Great to hear John. Got your spot set aside.

Looking forward to getting out there.

Gonna do a quick trip Sunday night/Monday with Cosmic Camper and CountryRoads at Lithia Springs this week-end.

Talk to you soon.

Gil

Suede
05-23-2014, 19:53
===> Thanks Chelsea! I am really looking forward to being able to see well again!

~ Chaaaz

Best Wishes on a very successful surgery and recovery. Wishing you many years of excellent eye sight.

SkyPainter
05-23-2014, 19:56
Best Wishes on a very successful surgery and recovery. Wishing you many years of excellent eye sight.

===> Thanks! Hope to hang with you again soon! Might actually be able to see you, as well!

~ Sky

CountryRoads
05-23-2014, 22:02
I think bow drill is a good idea. I've been playing with bow drills and fire pistons and wanted an excuse to try the Alaskan bow drill method. I'll have to remember to make the mouth piece.Alaskan method??? I'll have to look that up.

~ Chaaaz
We're all pullin for ya! And I am excited about this fire demonstration. I'll start keeping an eye out for really dry stuff to make my own set. Any suggestions on what to look for? I want to try a hand drill also.

CountryRoads
05-23-2014, 22:05
Hey guys... just wondering what your favorite nabisco product is (you know "oreos" nutterbutters etc.) I might be able to get my hands on some "damaged" product at the warehouse I work at. Have any requests?
We're not picky. I'm sure people will eat whatever you can get your hands on. Thanks!

sunshower
05-23-2014, 22:08
Mmm nutterbutters! Looking like quite the hang event. And to think we started out with 5 "interested " folks.

CountryRoads
05-23-2014, 22:33
Mmm nutterbutters! Looking like quite the hang event. And to think we started out with 5 "interested " folks.

Looks like 21 so far. This is a great group. Where's Hangintuff? Josh you coming? Tripod? Joe?

SkyPainter
05-24-2014, 09:36
I'm really excited about this hang guys. I just got my DangerBird in the mail yesterday and spent the night in at home, can't wait to get it out in the wild!

===> Just saw this...you will love the Dangerbird! This won't be the Wild, necessarily, but a nice campground. Lot of fun with a great group of people! A lot of different hammocks and set-up techniques to see/try. Glad to have ya!

~ SkyPainter

JoshuaTrees
05-24-2014, 22:35
Looks like 21 so far. This is a great group. Where's Hangintuff? Josh you coming? Tripod? Joe?

I'll be there.

SkyPainter
05-25-2014, 00:21
I'll be there.

===> Great, Josh! Seeya there! I hope to have my new vehicle by the hang, too, but maybe not all the off-road mods finished yet.

Buying a 2014 Nissan Xterra Pro 4X. Adding a Dephep Roof Box, rear Gobi Ladder, Extra LED roof lights, rear roof lights, side puddle lights, Raingler Cargo Net and handholds, brush guard front bumper and skid plate with 2 front PIAA LED lights, an integrated winch (maybe), lifting the body 2", rear taillight brush guards, and side rockrails with a step-up bump.

Will eventually be a kick-*** off roader, with beau coup room for hauling gear!

~ Sky

SemperFiGuy
05-25-2014, 06:04
===> Great, Josh! Seeya there! I hope to have my new vehicle by the hang, too, but maybe not all the off-road mods finished yet.

Buying a 2014 Nissan Xterra Pro 4X. Adding a Dephep Roof Box, rear Gobi Ladder, Extra LED roof lights, rear roof lights, side puddle lights, Raingler Cargo Net and handholds, brush guard front bumper and skid plate with 2 front PIAA LED lights, an integrated winch (maybe), lifting the body 2", rear taillight brush guards, and side rockrails with a step-up bump.

Will eventually be a kick-*** off roader, with beau coup room for hauling gear!

~ Sky

**** Chaaz, and you'll actually be able to see it to boot. Doesn't get any better than that.

All the best with your impending surgery. I had mine done last year and I'm still amazed. I went from literally seeing the world through a constant shroud of haze and fog to seeing everything in High Def, 3D. It's amazing. I'm excited for you to get this done and over with and get back to the real business of life. Live, love and laugh with family and friends.

Keep us posted Chaaz on how it goes. We're all praying for the best possible outcome. Your new ride will be the icing on the cake.

Gil

SkyPainter
05-25-2014, 07:52
===> Thanks Gil! I was also amazed when I had the first eye done! The color changes were amazing! Can't wait for the second one. Should be close to 20/20 for distance, and just need mild reading glasses. To me, it's a miracle.

Thanks again for the good wishes!

~ Chaaaz/SkyPainter

Billiard Pete
05-25-2014, 10:06
We will stay on 205.. 2 more are welcome :0) except that snoring bear.

The Yeti will be at site 203.

Now worries about bears here.

All Lions, Tigers and Bears will stay clear of us all with me calling out throughout the night (I am the Yeti)...

Billiard Pete
05-25-2014, 10:14
"Group Food"?

So are we doing a pot luck dinner Saturday night? If so, not sure (do to lack of personal experience) what to bring/how much to bring.

Snaggletooth
05-25-2014, 22:17
Hanging at HP right now , got a surprise visit from Chaaaz! No problem with cell service . No worries about remote parking there is a lot near where we will be . I'll get some pictures of our sites. Anything else you want me to check out while I'm here?

sunshower
05-26-2014, 07:49
"Group Food"?

So are we doing a pot luck dinner Saturday night? If so, not sure (do to lack of personal experience) what to bring/how much to bring.

Yes, let's do a pot luck Saturday night. You can always bring dogs and/or burgers and buns, fruit, chips n dip, soda etc if you don't want to prep anything :0)

sunshower
05-26-2014, 07:50
I try to bring enough for 8 people. With 21 so far as long as everyone brings something we should be covered.

SkyPainter
05-26-2014, 08:12
===> I plan on bringing a bunch of whole chickens, and giving a class on how to "break down" a bird into 6 or 8 pieces. Doing an eight piece breakdown will give us 32 pieces of chicken with four birds, which we can then season and grill right there. Should be some for everyone!

You can save a boatload of money learning to do this! If YOU break down the chicken, it costs you .99 cents per pound. Buy it already in parts - and you pay around $4.98 per pound for less chicken! You are paying the market about $4.00 a pound for something you can do in under two minutes!

I will bring the Yardbirds to learn on and cook.

~ SkyPainter/Chaaaz

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/anyvepa6.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/unu3ynyd.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/neqetemu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/edy8yveb.jpg

fjones15
05-26-2014, 08:32
Chaaaz
Thought about you yesterday while ridding past Orvis in Manchester. Fly casting class going on lawn.
fred

SkyPainter
05-26-2014, 10:47
Hey Fred! Actually I gave a Flycasting a lesson yesterday at my fly fishing club. Looking forward to doing more fly fishing in the ocean this year for Stripers and Blues!

~ Chaaaz

Billiard Pete
05-26-2014, 14:46
Yes, let's do a pot luck Saturday night. You can always bring dogs and/or burgers and buns, fruit, chips n dip, soda etc if you don't want to prep anything :0)

Sounds good! I love to cook, and to experiment with outdoor cooking, so I'll have to think about it. My wife will likely make some kind of baked good. Will sign up on the spreadsheet when we figure it out. Really looking forward to the weekend, will probably be my first hang of the season. My wife is excited to get out camping (someday I will convert her to hanging!) and to meet all of you.

Snaggletooth
05-27-2014, 15:20

Each site has a heavy fire pit grate and a stand up heavy charcoal grill built in. I'll bring a weber charcoal grill and a bucket of meat and homemade habanero sauce.

Snaggletooth
05-27-2014, 15:38
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/yru5y9yd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/zehe8y9a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/yzemy6yh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/byheru6a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/unyveqy8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ebababy8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/dusutevy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/upepavy4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/4yjybe7u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/9a6age9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ymu2eru9.jpg

Site survey-
201 can hold 3 plus some across the road from it.
205 can take 5 hammocks
206 3 hammocks
207. Might be best for community area few trees can maybe take 2 hammocks but if you go back in the woods a bit and bushwhack there are more.
208 at least one (hiker dude family site)
212 can hold 4 hammocks plus surrounding woods.

brazilianguy
05-27-2014, 15:52
Awesome!!! Thanks for the pics! Very excited to hang

atrane21
05-27-2014, 15:53
Love the lot number signs u made for the pics! Haha thanks for the recon

CountryRoads
05-27-2014, 16:25
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/yru5y9yd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/zehe8y9a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/yzemy6yh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/byheru6a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/unyveqy8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ebababy8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/dusutevy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/upepavy4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/4yjybe7u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/9a6age9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ymu2eru9.jpg

Site survey-
201 can hold 3 plus some across the road from it.
205 can take 5 hammocks
206 3 hammocks
207. Might be best for community area few trees can maybe take 2 hammocks but if you go back in the woods a bit and bushwhack there are more.
208 at least one (hiker dude family site)
212 can hold 4 hammocks plus surrounding woods.
Thanks Jerry for all the pics. Gil, Raiff, R3lax, and I were all planning on staying at 207 I think. I don't think anyone would mind if that's the central gathering place. We obviously won't be hanging in that big open space with no trees!

And Chaaaz, the bird breakdown will be awesome. I can make chili like I made at the winter NEHHA, but I would need to use someone's stove because I don't have one big enough.

I also have a small load of MA firewood I can bring and I assume we can buy it at the campground as well.

Snaggletooth
05-27-2014, 17:18
More of HPhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/a3yve6y2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ne6amepy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/ebepe2u7.jpg

SemperFiGuy
05-27-2014, 20:36
Jerry,
Many thanks for the site recon photos. Always nice to have some current intel. No problem having 207 as the CP.
Hope you hada great week-end.

Chaaaz, great idea on the chicken fest. That sounds great. I'll bring one of my special marinades that we can put some of the chicken parts in before we grill them if you'd like. Great lesson to learn how to cut up the birds.

****, now I'm hungry.

See you guys soon!

All the best.
Gil

sunshower
05-27-2014, 20:57
Nice! Rules say 4 adults per site. We may have to spot cars in the front parking lot as well. Jerry's the man for his recon work!
Are there 2 more spots for a guy named Dutch? He makes a killer spam breakfast. You might know him. Wink wink.

SkyPainter
05-27-2014, 21:21
Chelsea- I am bringing my two burner stove. Feel free to cook the Chili on it! I will pick-up more Propane canisters for it.

~ Chaaaz

SkyPainter
05-28-2014, 08:29
===> I suggest that those who may have folding tables bring them along. There will be open space at the campsites, but only one picnic table per, and unlike the Spring Swing, we will not be able to just go and move them from other spaces. I will have two four-footers coming with me (especially for the chicken butchering class!) that we can use for the communal meal.

~ SkyPainter

Snaggletooth
05-28-2014, 08:52
We have a parking lot near the 201 site. No problem

CountryRoads
05-28-2014, 11:26
Nice! Rules say 4 adults per site. We may have to spot cars in the front parking lot as well. Jerry's the man for his recon work!
Are there 2 more spots for a guy named Dutch? He makes a killer spam breakfast. You might know him. Wink wink.there are definitely more spaces available and I don't think everyone who is planning on coming has signed up yet. Jerry said some sites may only hold two hammocks but I bet they won't mind if we happen to have 2 people at some sites and 6 at others as long as we reserve enough sites that there is one reserved for every 4 adults.

Chelsea- I am bringing my two burner stove. Feel free to cook the Chili on it! I will pick-up more Propane canisters for it.

~ Chaaaz
Thanks Chaasz. I'll make chili again.

SkyPainter
05-28-2014, 19:26
===> Chelsea - if you do bring firewood into the State Forest, be SURE that it is covered and hidden! Even if you tell them it is MA wood, it may not have been inspected and certified, and you could wind-up doing the State Cha-Cha with some Environmental Protection Officers! They sell bundles there for $5 each. May not be worth your hassle.

Just a thought....

~ Chaaaz

Billiard Pete
05-28-2014, 21:36
We (my wife, my dog and I) are in 203. We took a drive to take a look at it Monday afternoon. It is a pretty big site, but pretty open. There's a good spot I plan to use for my hammock in back (kind of near the grill), and my wife's tent will be there somewhere too. There may be a good spot or two nearer the road for hanging, and if needed anyone is welcome to set up there.

We have a table we can bring (prob 36" square, like a card table).

As for the pot luck, my wife Susan is going to make 'Congo Bars'. We also were thinking we'd bring corn on the cob and watermelon. Probably something else but still thinking...

-Pete

Dutch
05-28-2014, 21:51
Are there 2 more spots for a guy named Dutch? He makes a killer spam breakfast. You might know him. Wink wink.
So, are there more sites available? Also I have turtledog stands if needed. I would like to finalize this and get it on the schedule.

Snaggletooth
05-28-2014, 22:23
It looks like there is one spot left on the sign up sheet. We may need to add another site at reserve America if any more want to come.

SkyPainter
05-28-2014, 22:44
So, are there more sites available? Also I have turtledog stands if needed. I would like to finalize this and get it on the schedule.

===> There is *always* room for Spam! ...errrr....I mean Dutch! Get it on the schedule - this will work out! I know peeps. Will be great to see you again buddy!

~ SkyPainter/Chaaaz/Chicken Butcherer

Dutch
05-28-2014, 23:22
===> There is *always* room for Spam! ...errrr....I mean Dutch! Get it on the schedule - this will work out! I know peeps. Will be great to see you again buddy!

~ SkyPainter/Chaaaz/Chicken Butcherer

I signed up for me and a guest. I don't mind getting a site if anyone has info of how to do it.

CountryRoads
05-29-2014, 00:23
===> Chelsea - if you do bring firewood into the State Forest, be SURE that it is covered and hidden! Even if you tell them it is MA wood, it may not have been inspected and certified, and you could wind-up doing the State Cha-Cha with some Environmental Protection Officers! They sell bundles there for $5 each. May not be worth your hassle.

Just a thought....

~ Chaaaz
Yeah you're right Chaaaz, I don't have anything saying where the wood is from and the source is probably more than 50 miles from where we'll be camping, and I'm riding with Gil so don't want to get him in trouble. We'll just buy it there.

I signed up for me and a guest. I don't mind getting a site if anyone has info of how to do it.
Jerry said you can do it at Reserve America. Gil reserved our site, so not really sure the best way, but everyone did it online.

SkyPainter
05-29-2014, 07:07
Reserve America is how you get the sites...gotta select Harold Parker State Forest first, then intuit your way around. You pay online.

~ Sky

SkyPainter
05-29-2014, 15:06
===> Just purchased a new Chaaazmobile. 2014 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. Francois is pissed he has to move, but I may find my other hiking poles, Pulk straps, extra tarps, and a lot if other stuff when I clean out the Durango!

New ride has stock roof lights, heavy duty coil-over Bilson shocks, locking differentials, and I will be adding an LED light bar up top, along with a brush guard front bumper, rear Gobi Ladder, side Puddle Lights, roof box with Raingler Cargo net, roof handholds, etc. Should be fun! SERIOUS off-road vehicle!

{Happy Dance!}

~ SkyPainter The Enthused

Grey Eagle
05-29-2014, 15:26
:(Bummer-- Having rotator cuff surgery on Monday so no hanging for a while. I took my name off the spreadsheet.

Billiard Pete
05-29-2014, 15:45
I figure there will be plenty of bacon being cooked at the hang so I am thinking of whipping up some Hard Tack if anyone is interested...

SkyPainter
05-29-2014, 19:18
:(Bummer-- Having rotator cuff surgery on Monday so no hanging for a while. I took my name off the spreadsheet.

===> Ow! As someone who has had extensive shoulder surgery myself, I wish both you and your Surgeon good luck! Stay with the post-op PT, and things will eventually be back to normal!

Take care -

~ SkyPainter

Grey Eagle
05-29-2014, 19:30
===> Ow! As someone who has had extensive shoulder surgery myself, I wish both you and your Surgeon good luck! Stay with the post-op PT, and things will eventually be back to normal!

Take care -

~ SkyPainter

Thanks Chaz. Will be sure to keep the PT front and center.

Dutch
05-29-2014, 21:00
Site 302 is booked

SkyPainter
05-29-2014, 21:17
Site 302 is booked

===> AWESOME, Dutch! Will be great to see you again!

~ Sky

sunshower
05-30-2014, 05:13
Site 302 is booked

Great! Glad you can make it.
Grey-- good luck on your surgery. Keep up with the pain early on and the PT later and you'll do well.

Snaggletooth
05-30-2014, 11:30

Sorry to hear that, have a speedy recovery!

SkyPainter
06-01-2014, 14:11
The old Chaaazmobile:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/atesadag.jpg

The new off-road Hammock Hauler and Prius Plow:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/rajyqu3u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/e7e4ume5.jpg

dandv
06-01-2014, 14:59
woo hoo gotta love the new toys

brazilianguy
06-01-2014, 16:03
Sweet ride! And license plate!!

CountryRoads
06-01-2014, 16:41
Nice Chaaaz, now you'll have no excuses to get out there with us. I love Nissan. I have a 17 year old truck that still drives great. This is going to be a fun hang!

SkyPainter
06-01-2014, 20:48
Never did have any excuses other than medical. I get out a lot. I like to do solo outings as well, for Bushcrafting trips. This new truck has mondo room - winter gear will fit great to! Front passenger seat also folds flat along with the back seats, so my Pulk and one-piece poles will go right in!

CountryRoads
06-01-2014, 21:55
Never did have any excuses other than medical. I get out a lot. I like to do solo outings as well, for Bushcrafting trips. This new truck has mondo room - winter gear will fit great to! Front passenger seat also folds flat along with the back seats, so my Pulk and one-piece poles will go right in!

Right, thought your vehicle kept you from getting to a hang or two. And I have watched some of your bushcraft videos. Well, sounds like its going to be your perfect Chaaazmobile!

SkyPainter
06-01-2014, 22:02
Right, thought your vehicle kept you from getting to a hang or two. And I have watched some of your bushcraft videos. Well, sounds like its going to be your perfect Chaaazmobile!

===> Thanks Chelsea! I think it will be just perfect once I do the mods I want! May actually buy a computer (all I have is this so-called Smart Phone.) Then I can go back to making vids again. Maybe a series or two on different topics. Yup, this new ride should take me anywhere I want to go, on or off-road! 👍😄

brazilianguy
06-02-2014, 18:16
I also got a new toy... Not as cool as a Nissan though

Handy hammock stand http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/e9u5udy6.jpg

Still need to figure out how to get the danger bird on it
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/upa6a3ut.jpg

Snaggletooth
06-02-2014, 21:12
Nice!, are you bringing them? I aways wanted to check them out in person.

Snaggletooth
06-02-2014, 21:17
The old Chaaazmobile:

The new off-road Hammock Hauler and Prius Plow:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/e7e4ume5.jpg
Looks nice! François must be psyched!

SkyPainter
06-02-2014, 21:52
Thanks! Francois is still trying to figure out where to hide! Am adding a roof cargo net, four roll bar hand grips, internal roof cargo net, floor cargo net. It's a start.

brazilianguy
06-03-2014, 05:29
Nice!, are you bringing them? I aways wanted to check them out in person.

Yea I'll bring them

SkyPainter
06-03-2014, 11:58
there are definitely more spaces available and I don't think everyone who is planning on coming has signed up yet. Jerry said some sites may only hold two hammocks but I bet they won't mind if we happen to have 2 people at some sites and 6 at others as long as we reserve enough sites that there is one reserved for every 4 adults.

Thanks Chaasz. I'll make chili again.

===> Picked-up two new Propane Canisters for my two-burner today. Chili it is! 😃👍

CountryRoads
06-03-2014, 12:49
===> Picked-up two new Propane Canisters for my two-burner today. Chili it is! ����
Thanks Chaaaz, I will give you some money. And shouldn't need too much. I may cook some stuff here then just throw it together and reheat it there.

Billiard Pete
06-03-2014, 13:03
Give it time to marry and get happy YUM...

SkyPainter
06-03-2014, 18:48
Thanks Chaaaz, I will give you some money. And shouldn't need too much. I may cook some stuff here then just throw it together and reheat it there.

===> You owe me nothing but a bowl of scrumptious chili! 😀👍

SkyPainter
06-03-2014, 18:50
===> Turning the new Chaaazmobile into a rolling backpack - have two of these coming soon! Each pouch can be used on a Molle/Pals ready pack, too! Nice seat covers ...mine are in black .

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/7a2a5y7a.jpg

CountryRoads
06-04-2014, 00:14
===> Turning the new Chaaazmobile into a rolling backpack - have two of these coming soon! Each pouch can be used on a Molle/Pals ready pack, too! Nice seat covers ...mine are in black .

Francois will be organized in his new joint!

SkyPainter
06-04-2014, 09:20
Well he'd better be, 'cause I certainly never was! LOL! This new Hammock Hauler has a ton of room as well as spaces for storage. A true vehicle one could live out of! Even has an OEM 10X10 Tent made to attach to the open rear lift gate. But, you know, hammocks.

Billiard Pete
06-07-2014, 14:05
We (my wife, my dog and I) are in 203. We took a drive to take a look at it Monday afternoon. It is a pretty big site, but pretty open. There's a good spot I plan to use for my hammock in back (kind of near the grill), and my wife's tent will be there somewhere too. There may be a good spot or two nearer the road for hanging, and if needed anyone is welcome to set up there.

We have a table we can bring (prob 36" square, like a card table).

As for the pot luck, my wife Susan is going to make 'Congo Bars'. We also were thinking we'd bring corn on the cob and watermelon. Probably something else but still thinking...

-Pete

Thinking of skipping the corn and doing sausages with peppers and onions instead.

CountryRoads
06-07-2014, 19:38
Thinking of skipping the corn and doing sausages with peppers and onions instead.Sounds good. We'll have to see what all we have when we get there and if there's too much for Saturday dinner maybe some of us could cook Friday night. I was going to make 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of chili. I'm thinking that should feed everyone. Dutch told me he's not cooking breakfast this hang cuz us Yankees don't appreciate his scrapple! Hehe, that's true of this Yankee. Sorry Jerry, no scrapple for you!

SemperFiGuy
06-07-2014, 20:20

Chaaaz,

Wow, that's some new ride man. What a beauty. I'm so happy for you. Nothing better than the smell of the inside of a new vehicle.

You deserve it. You're one tough guy and we're proud to hang with you.

See you in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to get up close to the new Chaaazmobile. Francois, move over....................................

All the best,
Gil

SkyPainter
06-08-2014, 01:07
===> Thanks Gil! I am digging it so far! Also just ordered a great Roofbag system from

http://www.Roofbag.com

Creates a load more room for packing!

~ Chaaaz

Billiard Pete
06-10-2014, 13:47
Any of you good at putting an edge on dull knives? I have 2 knives that I haven't been able to sharpen (I have the spydco Tri system)...

CountryRoads
06-10-2014, 13:58
Any of you good at putting an edge on dull knives? I have 2 knives that I haven't been able to sharpen (I have the spydco Tri system)...
Oh jeez, talk to Chaaaz. He's going to be busy teaching us about almost everything at this hang!

SemperFiGuy
06-10-2014, 18:19

HammockPete,

Either Skypainter (Chaaaz) or [email protected] (John), both of whom will be attending the hang are experts at sharping hard metal objects. I'm certain that either one of them would be glad to advise you on getting your blades in order. I, on the other hand, am an expert at fowling a good blade so you don't really want to ask me for any assistance in that regard.

John's fee is 2 Cold Coors Lights. Chaaaz' fee is subject to negotiation ........... :)

Look forward to seeing you at the hang.

All the best !
Gil

somniferous
06-11-2014, 01:27
If there is room left, I'd love to come by Sat/Sun depending upon my work schedule.

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 07:29
===> Just come! Glad to have ya! It's a big forest. I am sure we can find you two trees!

Chaaaz

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 07:34

===> Got you covered Pete. As long as they are made from real steel, and not some inferior metal from China or Pakistan, we should be able to get them in cutting shape. Stainless takes a lot longer to put a good edge on, but lasts longer. High Carbon Steel sharpens faster, but loses its edge sooner. It's all relative based on usage.

Bring em by - we'll see what we can do,

Chaaaz

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 07:49
===> I have a very unique set of friends - all of you included! I was explaining the mods I am doing to the new Xterra to other, Ummm, unique friends, and mentioned the RoofBag system I just bought.

One guy responded that he just uses body bags. Stuffs all his stuff in one end, then folds the slack underneath and straps it to the roof.

They cost anywhere from about $12 each to $20+.

May sound macabre, but probably work just as well if not better! BTW - I think the "Disaster Bags and Pouches" with built-in handles might be easier to lash down to the roof.

Your neighbors may wonder what you are up to, tho, when you get a package from this online site:

http://www.bodybagstore.com

~ Chaaaz - who has had an odd life, to say the least!

Billiard Pete
06-11-2014, 09:06
===> Got you covered Pete. As long as they are made from real steel, and not some inferior metal from China or Pakistan, we should be able to get them in cutting shape. Stainless takes a lot longer to put a good edge on, but lasts longer. High Carbon Steel sharpens faster, but loses its edge sooner. It's all relative based on usage.

Bring em by - we'll see what we can do,

Chaaaz

Thanks,

one is a leatherman and the other is one of those old knives like the one Chuck Norris used in Lone Wolf.

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 09:37
Thanks,

one is a leatherman and the other is one of those old knives like the one Chuck Norris used in Lone Wolf.

===> Tim Leatherman (yes, that really is his name!) uses 440 Stainless generally in his tools, sometimes 'ice hardened' (Friodur) to about a 59-62 on the Rockwell hardness scale. We should be able to get a decent edge on that. The old movie clone knife could be made out of anything....hafta see it. Benchmade Knives makes a "Lone Wolf" series of blades as well. We'll give it a go. Either way, should be fun!

~ Chaaaz

brazilianguy
06-11-2014, 10:07
Can I part take in this sharpening? I have a pocket knife that's 440 stainless that I bought in Spain 7-8 years ago, never had it sharpen. I use it mostly around the house, and plan on using it for my outdoor outings.

CountryRoads
06-11-2014, 11:25
===>Benchmade Knives makes a "Lone Wolf" series of blades as well. We'll give it a go. Either way, should be fun!

~ Chaaaz
I love my Benchmade!

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 11:30
Can I part take in this sharpening? I have a pocket knife that's 440 stainless that I bought in Spain 7-8 years ago, never had it sharpen. I use it mostly around the house, and plan on using it for my outdoor outings.

===> Absolutely! Bring it with you - we'll work on an edge together. A sharp knife is a safe knife!

~ Sky

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 12:50
===> Having eye surgery tomorrow at Beth Israel Hospital. Hopefully it goes well, and I hope to really *see* you all at the hang in two weeks! 😳

~ Chaaaz/SkyPainter

Billiard Pete
06-11-2014, 12:52
===> Having eye surgery tomorrow at Beth Israel Hospital. Hopefully it goes well, and I hope to really *see* you all at the hang in two weeks! ��

~ Chaaaz/SkyPainter

Chaaaz, Hope all goes well with the surgery. Look forward to seeing you again in a few week...

somniferous
06-11-2014, 14:01
===> Just come! Glad to have ya! It's a big forest. I am sure we can find you two trees!

Chaaaz

Awesome, this will be my first group hang if I can make it. I won't know until the week before if I will have the days off, the wonders of freelance.

SkyPainter
06-11-2014, 14:12
===> Great! Bring a sense of humor, a good appetite, and bacon. We eat bacon.

zappa870
06-12-2014, 06:10
Hope all goes well with surgery
===> Having eye surgery tomorrow at Beth Israel Hospital. Hopefully it goes well, and I hope to really *see* you all at the hang in two weeks! ��

~ Chaaaz/SkyPainter

Tripod
06-12-2014, 07:59

~ Chaaaz/SkyPainter
Good luck with the surgery, I know you will be seeing better soon.
Joe

brazilianguy
06-12-2014, 08:25
good luck on the surgery!

SkyPainter
06-12-2014, 09:31
===> Duh! Surgery is postponed at least a week due to an infection in that eye! Thanks, tho. It will happen soon, hopefully!

fjones15
06-12-2014, 10:52
Stopped at Grout Pond last week to take a dump. The place was empty. But it was the middle of the week. This is my last free weekend till September. We will have to plan a mid week hang.
fred

SkyPainter
06-12-2014, 18:30
Stopped at Grout Pond last week to take a dump. The place was empty. But it was the middle of the week. This is my last free weekend till September. We will have to plan a mid week hang.
fred

===> I can do that Fred! Just hafta get this eye squared-away first.

I installed my new seatcover in the Xterra. This bad boy is now a rolling backpack!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/ezy7uqy8.jpg

Can also lay that seat flat, so I can access stuff from the drivers seat:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/u7uqa5y7.jpg

Waiting for my cargo nets and handholds. This is gonna rock!

~ Sky

CountryRoads
06-12-2014, 19:21
Looks awesome Chaaaz! I hope your eye heals up fast. You better not miss this hang!

dandv
06-13-2014, 15:37
Just got a new grille ... need you folks to help me break it in at the hang .....
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=coleman+lxe+grill&qpvt=coleman+lxe+grill&FORM=IGRE

zappa870
06-13-2014, 17:11
I just booked Sunday and Monday nights at Harold Parker, have some days off from work so I'm taking advantage. Anyone is welcome, just let me know.

zappa870
06-13-2014, 17:18
I just booked Sunday and Monday nights at Harold Parker, have some days off from work so I'm taking advantage. Anyone is welcome, just let me know.

Meaning this Sunday and Monday

SkyPainter
06-13-2014, 21:35
Meaning this Sunday and Monday

===> What site are you on? Might be able to drop by for a bit Monday to chew the fat! Might even be able to hang with you Monday night!

~Sky

SkyPainter
06-13-2014, 21:47
Just got a new grille ... need you folks to help me break it in at the hang .....
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=coleman+lxe+grill&qpvt=coleman+lxe+grill&FORM=IGRE

===> Looks great! We should have plenty of Chicken, at least, to grill-up! Maybe some other critters if they are out and about.

~ SkyPainter

fjones15
06-14-2014, 07:01
Does road kill count?
Fred

SkyPainter
06-14-2014, 07:53
Does road kill count?
Fred

===> Sure does Fred! Two years ago when I was doing a bit of stealth hanging up off Rte 175 in NH on the Pemigewassit River, someone had hit a big old Tom Turkey flush on. Had a broken neck, was a bit banged up in the chest, but otherwise perfect! Still warm even! I was almost there, so I scooped him up and lugged him into the woods to my campsite.

Still have a ton of his feathers for fly tying. Was there for four days to fish, and practice some Bushcrafting skills. Ate like a king that week!! Trout, Turkey, wild berries, wild Onions....

Since I was out there a bit, I made sure to pluck and dress him about 300 yards downstream as I had seen a small Black Bear on the stream earlier. Left the offal and carcass there for him. Never saw him again, but when I was fishing I waded over and checked, and the carcass was gone. Nice prints in the mud. The little guy ate well too!

Dead is dead, whether hit by a car, an arrow, a bullet, or a bolt gun in a slaughterhouse. And pretty fresh is pretty fresh.

Most people don't even think about how the meat they are cooking and eating died, or showed-up in neatly packaged parts in the supermarket. That's part of the reason that I will be doing a demo/class on breaking down chickens at the hang! Folks need to relearn the most basic food skills.

Road kill? Who cares? Dead meat is still meat. And free, too! 😀

~ SkyPainter