PDA

View Full Version : New England hanging spots

bliksem
04-15-2014, 13:17
Hi,

Just want to find if anyone has a list of preferred hammock campgrounds or a list of campgrounds to avoid with a hammock in the New England area. I will be motorcycle camping mostly in VT and NH and maybe Western MA. The more dirt roads around the better.

Thanks,

Leon

atrane21
04-15-2014, 13:46
From the research i've been doing, most campgrounds in the area are hammock friendly. My problem is, most campgrounds charge $25+ a night. Which for me to go hang my hammock seems very steep!

Pretbek
04-15-2014, 13:57
Hi Lightning,
It might be worth it to stick to State or National forests, for the free hanging that you can do there.
Sometimes I really appreciate being able to take a warm shower when camping, but I agree with atrane (autocorrected to "strange" :D ) that most campgrounds overcharge for the privilege of staying and using their facilities.

Scubahhh
04-15-2014, 14:07
Vermnont has loads of state parks with pretty cool, mostly undeveloped camping areas. a little on-line exploring starting here: http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/camping.htm might get you started. There are also some primitive campsites in GMNF. Look here: http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/gm.htm?src=linkvermont

White Mountain National Forest has loads of developed campgrounds, and some really nice "dispersed" sites. Garfield Road is one nice area; Cherry Mountain Road is another good area.

I don't know of any priovate campgrounds I'd recommend. Ther emay be some, but I haven't ever really looked for them.

SemperFiGuy
04-15-2014, 19:13
Hi,

Just want to find if anyone has a list of preferred hammock campgrounds or a list of campgrounds to avoid with a hammock in the New England area. I will be motorcycle camping mostly in VT and NH and maybe Western MA. The more dirt roads around the better.

Thanks,

Leon

Bliksem,

If you're interested in Western, Ma camping on your bike, be sure to take a look at October Mountain out in the Berkshires. Exit 2 off of the Mass. Pike. It's a part of the Massachusetts State Forest group and they have a nice campground at $12 per night for up to 4 people/two vehicles. They allow off road biking/atv/etc.... in the area. There are some great hiking areas right from your camp site.

Also, Mt. Greylock is another great spot for bike camping. If you're not adverse to a small hike in, you can camp the primitive campground area at Greylock. Depending on where you park, its either a 1.2 or 1.8 mi hike in. Otherwise, there are plenty of areas there where you can park and hike in minimally and set up. The AT also runs nearby and it has shelters, etc....

You have plenty of choices out our way. DAR State Forest is another Bike friendly camp area with a great lake, great hiking and beautiful country.

All the best.
Gil

gogrillz
04-22-2014, 14:15
Gil, are any of these open in the off-season? We are looking for a spot this weekend 4/26-4/27

raiffnuke
04-22-2014, 15:37
Gil, are any of these open in the off-season? We are looking for a spot this weekend 4/26-4/27

Greylock is open all year, but the access road are not. You can hike in all year. ;)

sunshower
04-22-2014, 21:49
Gogrillz- we have hiked And stayed at Greylock every season- if you're ok with a backpacking trip you can park at the Haley Farm and take the Hopper trail to the " official" campsites any time if the year. There are scattered adirondack shelters that are nice to use if it's raining.

Yukon
04-23-2014, 06:13
Vermont all the way. Awesome dirt roads for dual sport bikes, and great camp areas. Forget the campgrounds, sleep in the wild :)

gogrillz
04-23-2014, 08:56
Thanks for the tips! Kinda hard to bring our backpacks on the bikes for the hike in. Have any of you guys ever been to the Somerset Airstrip in the Green Mountain National Forest in VT? It's open all year as well, what I don't know is if it's covered with snow. There're are also some campgrounds that open early in N.Y. But we find them entirely too close to home. It takes us longer to pack, than it does to ride there. We could go to MAHHA in PA, but at this point it looks packed with attendees. And now Amanda has Monday off, so we're looking at Sat to Mon instead of Fri to Sun. We could always go back to the Pines and visit Paul again. If you guys think of anything else post it up, thanks.

Yukon
04-23-2014, 09:20
Have any of you guys ever been to the Somerset Airstrip in the Green Mountain National Forest in VT? It's open all year as well, what I don't know is if it's covered with snow.

I have been there many times. The snowmobile trail goes right by there in in winter. It's a nice place to camp out. Not sure if there would be snow there still or not, but my guess would be no snow right now. Could be pretty spongy though...

Swoopy
05-28-2014, 05:46
I live pretty close by here and yep- all the snow is gone now. Never camped at the airfield but I've parked my truck there and paddle camped on islands in the reservoir numerous times. Usually see some interesting characters 'camping' at that airfield...

Should you be looking for a more remote experience near that area, I'd recommend going further north on fs 71 (or up 100 N and then W on Stratton/Arlington rd) to some of the backcountry ponds near there. Branch Pond, Bourne Pond, Stratton Pond are all great options for loop trips or whatever you're looking to get into. Stratton Pond (both campsites and shelter) is $5 per night, but the others I mentioned are free, and Bourne Pond has a privy with no walls or roof- best view ive ever had in that sort of scenario..