PDA

View Full Version : what type of synthetic insulation do I want?

pinballwizard
04-19-2014, 00:39
Today I just bought my first UQ from a very kind and generous member, but it's not done. The shell still needs to be sewn up on one side and then the suspension needs to be added. Though the shell is filled with an insulation, and I believe it would be warm, it feels like it may be a bit heavy. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I was playing with the idea of getting something else, such as APEX. I'm not looking for anything to complex or expensive. With that, what is my best synthetic insulation to get price/weight/warmth, and from where? Also, if it is APEX, which type (2.5 or 5 oz)?
Lastly, how much insulation will I need? The quilt seems to be pretty wide (55 inches maybe) and if I had to guess, 60 inches long.

pinballwizard
04-19-2014, 07:48
morning bump :D

Fish<><
04-19-2014, 08:39
Climashield 5.0 and 2 yards. It'll cost you about $30 and will get you comfortably down to around 25. Happy quiltin'!

pinballwizard
04-19-2014, 09:14
Climashield 5.0 and 2 yards. It'll cost you about $30 and will get you comfortably down to around 25. Happy quiltin'!

awesome! is that one layer of climashield, or doubled over?

Syb
04-19-2014, 09:19
Thru-hiker has all the deets: http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php

Fish<><
04-19-2014, 09:56
One layer my friend. Follow the Linky thing syb mentioned. =)

Rolloff
04-19-2014, 09:58
Does this shell has baffles, and is finished on three sides? It almost sounds like a LostBiker offering.
Or does it have sewn through construction?

I'll admit I'm confused. The OP said it had fill inside. Since he doesn't mention the fact that feathers are everywhere floating around his gear room, that would seem to indicate synthetic fill of some type.

Either way you can follow Syb's link and get things straight.

pinballwizard
04-19-2014, 09:59
Thanks Fish for the help, and thanks Syb for the help and the great quilt :thumbup:

pinballwizard
04-19-2014, 10:09
Does this shell has baffles, and is finished on three sides? It almost sounds like a LostBiker offering.
Or does it have sewn through construction?

I'll admit I'm confused. The OP said it had fill inside. Since he doesn't mention the fact that feathers are everywhere floating around his gear room, that would seem to indicate synthetic fill of some type.

Either way you can follow Syb's link and get things straight.

It is synthetic, and it does not have baffles. It is an open shell with a stitch down the middle to hold the insulation in place. The insulation that is in there now is basically batting, I believe (say that 3X fast). I'm going to sew it up for the MAHHA and put a suspension on it, that way I can roll out with my fancy new quilt... Which means my GF will be using it. After that, I may change it up to make it lighter. Also, this allows me to lay with it for a bit before I know the exact dimensions I want to finish with. Since this is my first quilt, I don't have a strong feel for this yet, but if backpacking, I would think this would be wider than I would NEED. Not a problem for car camping, but may be extra weight if hauling it in. However, since this is my first quilt, and everything about it the way it is screams comfort without having to fiddle too much, I may keep it the way it is, as my extra large and comfy car camping quilt (say that 3X fast too) :)