PDA

View Full Version : Northville Placid trail

Vtpilot1
04-19-2014, 11:45
Looking to do a good portion if not all of the npt this august. Probably the first or second week. It'd be from Piseco north as I did that short section last year. Goin' solo now but any company is welcome. I'll also be doing the Cranberry Lake 50 a couple times this year. It's a lovely 3 day trip. I'm in the Burlington, Vermont area.

DuctTape
04-19-2014, 12:45
The NPT is a wonderful hike. Have done it both directions. Quite different from the CL-50. Which reminds me I have to visit the 5 ponds as it has been a while.

Back to the NPT, in August, I will be leading a section (Wakely to LL) for the NPT Chapter of the Adirondack Mtn Club. We will be there later in the month though. Will follow you via trail registers and shelter logs. If you want any info on the trail, PM me. My last thru hike of the NPT was last summer.

dT

Vtpilot1
04-19-2014, 13:21
The CL50 is a great 3 day weekend hike :) I've done most ove the npt over the years in sections. The West Canada Lakes regions is gorgeous. Very muddy though. I recently switched to trail runners for all my hiking needs. What a difference that made. Especially climbing vermont hills all day.

DuctTape
04-19-2014, 13:55
Agreed on the CL-50. I did it back in 2008; 50 miles in 50 hours. I am looking forward to doing it again especially if they make those connector trails to all but eliminate the roadwalk.

The WCL is indeed very nice, and can be extremely muddy. A few years back it was nice and dry. Haven't seen it like that since. The Cold River Section is one of favs on the NPT.

I use trail runners too. I'd rather my feet get wet quickly and allow the shoes to dry out quickly. I haven't done any hiking in vermont... yet. :)

12trysomething
04-19-2014, 17:52
I am interested in the CL 50. As you get closer to some dates please let me know when you are thinking.

As for the NPT, I have Wakely to Placid left and it will be done in a few short weeks!

Vtpilot1
04-19-2014, 17:59
I am interested in the CL 50. As you get closer to some dates please let me know when you are thinking.

As for the NPT, I have Wakely to Placid left and it will be done in a few short weeks!

I certainly will. This is my second try hammocking, and I like to use the CL50 as a good shakedown hike for new gear after giving it a night or two at a local reservoir near my house or an overnight on the LT.

plus it's just such a beautiful hike, I love chair rock flow campsite.

Just out of curiosity, when are you finishing up the NPT? My biggest problem is finding someone to car hop for me.

12trysomething
04-19-2014, 18:50
I certainly will. This is my second try hammocking, and I like to use the CL50 as a good shakedown hike for new gear after giving it a night or two at a local reservoir near my house or an overnight on the LT.

plus it's just such a beautiful hike, I love chair rock flow campsite.

Just out of curiosity, when are you finishing up the NPT? My biggest problem is finding someone to car hop for me.

Great! Starting somewhere between 5/23 and 5/25 then going for 4.5 days.

NY_Rocking_Chairs
04-22-2014, 11:29
We have a house on CL and I have done the CL-50 once, I am planning to do it again this summer if you are looking for more company.

Cosmo
04-22-2014, 13:43

I've been planning on doing the CL50 over the Memorial Day weekend, in three days hopefully. Could start another thread, but since it came up, I wouldn't mind going with others if anyone else was debating it. Just putting a feeler out there, prior to any official thread.

The NPT has been high on my list for the early fall/late summer. But a little side trip to Alaska this summer may put a wrench in those plans, work/vacation-wise. We'll see...

Vtpilot1
04-23-2014, 08:43
I've got Friday through Monday off memorial day weekend. I'd be down for that as long as the weather isn't too horrid.PM me and we can work something out. With two cars we can skip the road walk :)

NY_Rocking_Chairs
04-23-2014, 11:09
Just a heads up the footbridge in Wannakeena was destroyed by ice floes this winter. There is another way around via the road bridge.

Now there is a choice to make, the NPT or CL-50 on Memorial Day weekend...

Vtpilot1
04-23-2014, 11:59
I saw that on the website. Thanks for the heads up.

Vtpilot1
04-23-2014, 12:03
Any idea how the fallen log crossing faired this winter?

NY_Rocking_Chairs
04-24-2014, 05:30
Nope, we haven't been up there yet and no one we know have been out on the trails, Memorial Day weekend is when we usually go up to put the docks and boats in and such, but I was planning on the NPT trip that weekend.

hk2001
04-24-2014, 06:23
Is there anywhere with current information on the trail? Last trail reports I see are from last fall.. with some minor exceptions (warning about the Bridge)

I want to try and hit some trout fishing in Mooseriver Plains wild forest and West Canada Lake wildness next weekend.. but can't find any current info on anything up there.. nothing about possible snow amounts (wouldn't surprise me) or even if the waters are iced out or fishable.

I can't even find updates on Indian Lake, or the Fulton Chain with regards to the opening of pike in just over a week (very odd indeed)

Vtpilot1
04-24-2014, 06:28
Have you checked npt.org? Sometimes they have updated trail conditions.

12trysomething
04-24-2014, 06:45
Is there anywhere with current information on the trail? Last trail reports I see are from last fall.. with some minor exceptions (warning about the Bridge)

I want to try and hit some trout fishing in Mooseriver Plains wild forest and West Canada Lake wildness next weekend.. but can't find any current info on anything up there.. nothing about possible snow amounts (wouldn't surprise me) or even if the waters are iced out or fishable.

I can't even find updates on Indian Lake, or the Fulton Chain with regards to the opening of pike in just over a week (very odd indeed)

It is usually not or miss on NPT.org until mid-May when trail stewards are in full swing.

I would recommend posting in the ADK Forum and ask specifically there. There is usually someone who has been to most places recently or someone who lives close and will give you some intel. The trout fishermen are in the know!

NY_Rocking_Chairs
04-24-2014, 06:47
From friends who live there year-round I have been told that the floes are running and the lake ice is quickly receding. No comment on snow amounts but the ADKs in general did not receive alot of snow this year.

12trysomething
04-24-2014, 06:52
Here is a resource.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html