PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Paddling Mullica River>4/24/14

SilvrSurfr
04-20-2014, 21:30
My 22-year-old son Vanilla Pudge is coming home from college - we're gonna paddle the Mullica starting at Atsion - camp at Mullica River campsite, then paddle on to the landing past Batsto Village (I forget the name). First time paddling the Mullica - I look forward to it!

njredneck
04-21-2014, 18:36
Have fun. Wish I could join you but work sucks right now.

mrcheviot
04-21-2014, 18:38
That does sound fun, will be off to MAHHA this weekend though..

natureboy68
04-21-2014, 19:51
Sounds awesome! I'm nursing Achilles tendon surgery, so not me! How are you shuttling? Just leaving cars at put in/take out?

Ratdog
04-21-2014, 20:18
Sounds awesome! I'm nursing Achilles tendon surgery, so not me! How are you shuttling? Just leaving cars at put in/take out?

Is there any other way?

natureboy68
04-21-2014, 20:56
Is there any other way?

Thought maybe the local canoe livery would provide shuttles...I guess cars at end and beginning is the way to go...

Ratdog
04-22-2014, 09:10
I don't know for certain if Adam's Canoe Rentals (http://www.adamscanoerental.com) provides a shuttle service.
They are right at Atsion and I'll wager they pick up the canoes in Batsto. Their website says to call for arrangements so I'm thinking something can always be worked out.

Mick's Canoe Rental (http://mickscanoerental.com) just outside Chatsworth does run shuttles, a lot of them. I am always seeing their buses in the woods. Their website has bunches of info for trip planning and general guidance.

Rates are a little stiff imho but fuel costs and liability insurance no doubt take their toll. Our last trip would have cost $400-$500 in rental fees had we rented so the bring your own option is very attractive. Get a hold of a local sherpa and drop your car at the take out point is the way to go. HF.net has been known to have a few sherpas hanging about.

SilvrSurfr
04-23-2014, 20:11
I'm going out totally half-cocked on this affair. I haven't packed at all. I made some new whoopie slings, sorted through the gear, placed it in piles, but not much else.

My son has been sleeping pretty much every hour since he got back from college, he occasionally wakes to eat or attend to bodily functions. He expects me to pack his food, hammock, quilts, everything. He doesn't even have clothes - socks, underwear or even shoes. I really don't mind doing it for him - just cracks me up to see his attitude.

My wife asked him at dinner: Why would you want to paddle down a river and camp in the woods? She's a city slicker.

I imagine my son is thinking:

1) Dad always lays a guilt trip on me about how he was the product of a broken home and he didn't even have a father to go camping with - and how I'm an ungrateful pig if I don't take advantage of the father-son time my father proffers.
2) The less time around Mom, the better. She always has a darned to-do list that ruins my time home from college.
3) The Pine Barrens are pretty cool, and they're cooler when you're paddling.
4) Cell phone reception okay, so I'll have some access to social media.
5) It's great when somebody does all the packing and planning - kind of like, If This Is Tuesday, I Must be In Belgium!

SilvrSurfr
04-23-2014, 20:56
Just think - in about 24 hours I'll be paddling smack-dab in the middle of 1.1 million acres of piney wilderness, cruising along in some of the purest waters in all the world. Hard to believe you could find that in New Jersey.

silentorpheus
04-23-2014, 22:54
I'd love to join, if I weren't down in sunny Florida, sitting on a beach all day. :) I know, life is tough.

Enjoy the pines, and say hi to Mullica for me.

SilvrSurfr
04-24-2014, 00:53
I will po' out a bit of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA in honor of my missing homey. And another drop for Deadphans, my forever missing homey.:lol:

silentorpheus
04-24-2014, 08:49
I will po' out a bit of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA in honor of my missing homey. And another drop for Deadphans, my forever missing homey.:lol:

Dayum, you living large if you've got 90minute to waste. :)

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 14:00
Sherpa shuttle standing by at put in. OK, maybe not "standing"... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/6evevepe.jpg

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 14:34
Hey you guys will have a chance to watch the Pi Puppids or Lyrids meteor shower. Look for the bright star Vega rising in the NE around 10pm. Vega will rise quickly overhead and you could see about 10-20 meteors/hr radiating from that part of the night sky.

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 16:01
And they're off... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/e9urazev.jpg

natureboy68
04-24-2014, 16:24
Nice! Good job sherpa'ing! when it's my turn, dinner at Pic-A-Lilli is on me!!

mattyoc20
04-24-2014, 18:34
Sherpa shuttle standing by at put in. OK, maybe not "standing"... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/6evevepe.jpg

Haha This cracked me up.

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 22:46
Nice! Good job sherpa'ing! when it's my turn, dinner at Pic-A-Lilli is on me!!

Haha just remember you said that... I can do some damage at that place.

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 22:48
Haha This cracked me up.
Figured it was appropriate, not to mention comfortable.

Ratdog
04-24-2014, 22:48
No meteors yet. Vega still kinda low.

SilvrSurfr
04-24-2014, 22:56
Many thanks to sherpa ratdog. It took a lot longer to paddle to campsite than expected - 4 hrs. 36 degrees beautiful night for camping. Arrived at campsite at dusk- serenaded by treefrogs, bullfrogs, coyote and owl. Just another night in the pine barrens!