PDA

View Full Version : CO>Aspen/Snowmass Area>This Summer

mcallaghan
04-21-2014, 10:24
I am hoping there are people interested in getting together in the Aspen/Snowmass area of CO (near Independence Pass) to do a summer hang? A multitude of options in the area as for where to go though actual campsite may have to be a play-by-ear based on how many people and suitability of trees in the area. American Lake would probably be a fun place to hike to and find a place to camp. Or good old Hunter Creek (also accessible my Mtn Bike) - I plan on doing a few trips up there by foot, beyond my usual camping place or on the other side of the creek where the trees seem better.

OutandBack
04-21-2014, 10:30
I am hoping there are people interested in getting together in the Aspen/Snowmass area of CO (near Independence Pass) to do a summer hang? A multitude of options in the area as for where to go though actual campsite may have to be a play-by-ear based on how many people and suitability of trees in the area. American Lake would probably be a fun place to hike to and find a place to camp. Or good old Hunter Creek (also accessible my Mtn Bike) - I plan on doing a few trips up there by foot, beyond my usual camping place or on the other side of the creek where the trees seem better.

Hi Mcallaghan,
I'm game. Love the Aspen area.
If you could scout these areas once you can get in(snow melts) and take a few picts that would really
help peeps deside what to pack. Give us some details like terain, miles to hike, access to water, etc.

mcallaghan
04-21-2014, 11:40
Certainly!

American Lake - Trailhead is only accessibly by car (no bus goes that far up Castle Creek). The beginning part of the trail is the hardest - steep switchbacks through a beautiful grove of Aspen Trees. Levels out into a pineforest where the goings gets much easier, before opening up onto American Lake. 3.2 miles one direction. Link HERe (http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=021501IO*182hw&CU_ID=162) - As for water, there is usually a very small stream (maybe 2 feet wide) at the beginning of the trail where it'd be possible to get water. Otherwise, the next spot would be American Lake itself if my memory serves me right.

Hunter Creek - HUNTER CREEK TRAIL (Bike, Hike, Picnic)
Surface: Unpaved
Length: 1.5 miles
Difficulty: Moderate
The very popular trail accessing US Forest Service land starts a short distance from downtown Aspen. The trail parallels Hunter Creek and has several bridges that cross scenic short hikes in the area. The grade is steep as the first mile of the trail ascends more than 700 feet in elevation. There is also a public parking area and trailhead farther up Red Mountain off Hunter Creek Drive. -

This is my 'go to' trail as it is easily accessed (don't need a car to get there) and the scene of my winter hang. I plan on going up there again in the next month (hopefully snow is gone) and will either start at the parking lot (which avoids the 700 ft in one mile section). But the mileage is wrong - I think the lower loop could be 1.5 miles, but on the basis of walking for a good solid hour over relatively flat ground, theres probably 1 - 3 miles of hiking from the Miners Huts by the creek.

As for water, there is access to more water then you'd know what to do with. The Creek is quite deep in places and very fast flowing - and cold. Decent sized fish in there too (if anyone likes fishing). I plan on exploring beyond my campsite - the valley just keeps on going. I may also check out the other side of the Creek as well (might not be a trail) since there seemed to be more trees on that side.

Alternatively, we could always go up towards the Maroon Bells. I'm only familiar as far as Crate Lake, but know the people who head off to climb the Bells have campsites along the way so I am sure it would be possible to head up there. It would just be a lot more crowded then either of the other trails given its a big tourist draw.

mcallaghan
04-21-2014, 12:00
And here are some pictures I found on the web:

Hunter Creek:
Miners Huts (http://willsononline.com/colorado/Images/HuntersCreek.jpg)
Lower Trail (http://aspenjournalism.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2013/12/Hunter-Creek-valley-trail-800x600.jpg)

American Lake:
American Lake (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/947449.jpg)

flexytoy
04-27-2014, 21:40
I will have to check into that area. Let us know some dates, sounds like fun

JToon
04-27-2014, 22:32
What dates are you thinking on this one. My wife is going to denver a couple times this summer. I was going to thru hike the centennial trail while she was gone but maybe I should catch a ride with her and drive up to aspen, where the beer flows like wine, and take in a hang. I would like to check on out and will be unable to attend the black hills annual so why not meet some neighbors.

mcallaghan
05-07-2014, 12:16
Dates are quite flexible for me. I'm due some vacation days so once I get a bit more fit this summer, may try and find some multi-day hang spots.

Finally getting some sun and warm weather (it snowed two weeks ago) and the mountains are starting to resemble this season - MUD! (its Mud Season)

It is nice seeing under the snow now though...planning on testing out my DH this weekend in my backyard, potentially do an overnight up Hunter Creek mid-may.

BroChaos
05-08-2014, 00:32
count me in. what kind of distances are you guys up for hiking?

mcallaghan
05-08-2014, 15:07
I have a bad ankle....and am out of shape...so I usually do something around 3-hour hike max these days. Working on improving that.

The Hunter Creek trail/hike...to the spot I've always gone to, is probably 1 - 1.5 hours from the parking lot. Add on another hour or so if you start from Town/Bus Stop area (which involves a 800+ft elevation gain over .5 miles or so).

Bad weather this week - snowflakes today (not setting in town) and forecast is basically rain for the next 5 days. Will see how it is but will try and get my DH setup in the backyard to test it out. Kinda itching to go up Hunter Creek and hope the snow is all gone, though patches will be fine.

mcallaghan
05-12-2014, 13:17
Given the snow we had this weekend and today, probably looking closer to June before I'll be getting out in the warm-weather gear and DH.

OutandBack
05-12-2014, 14:17
Given the snow we had this weekend and today, probably looking closer to June before I'll be getting out in the warm-weather gear and DH.
Spring time in the Rockies can throw just about anything at you.
It's looking like one day in the near future it will just hit 90 and be summer.
Fall is much more predictable.

mcallaghan
05-13-2014, 14:28
Pretty much. Cold and sunny today, and supposed to warm up at end of week. Hopefully sooner rather than later I'll be able to test out the gear.

OutandBack
05-13-2014, 21:08
Pretty much. Cold and sunny today, and supposed to warm up at end of week. Hopefully sooner rather than later I'll be able to test out the gear.
Summer usually doesn't really come to 8000' until August.
With a 140% snow pack it will be interesting to see when they get Independance Pass plowed and opened.

mcallaghan
05-15-2014, 10:51
They're supposedly opening it this weekend - the Ride for the Pass is scheduled for this weekend (opens only to cyclists). So I think next week its open to the public. But with the snow we got over the last week, I'd be surprised if its open all the way.

OutandBack
05-15-2014, 17:11
That's cool.
I am really looking forward to riding the Rio Grande trail from Aspen to Glenwood.
If you ever get some time I would love to see some picts of that trail.

CopperJL
05-20-2014, 11:05
Check out Conundrum hot springs. It's a really easy hike in from Snowmass (much harder from Crested Butte/Gothic). Awesome place to camp with plenty of places to hang.

mcallaghan
05-21-2014, 13:55
Conundrum is over-used and people don't do a good job cleaning up out there. Reports of human feces all over the place every summer in the newspaper.. And last summer it was a herd of dead cows (that had frozen to death after breaking free during a major storm and got stuck in some cabin out there).

A friend of mine posted pictures of the Maroon lake from this weekend. Looks like good patches of snow up there. A friend of mine also rode up Independence Pass on the weekend - reported banks of snow almost shoulder deep, but they're still planning on opening it to cars tomorrow from what I hear.

Myself, just realized its a 3 day weekend. May set up the hammock for first time in backyard and try and get up Hunter Creek this weekend to check things out up there.

OutandBack
05-21-2014, 14:36
Looking forward to your report on Tuesday. Get some picts of your setup and Hunter Creek.
we need good picts of this area to get the Eastern slope guys excited about making the drive over the big hill.
I love the IP drive it's way better than I 70 to Glenwood to Aspen.

mcallaghan
05-22-2014, 21:42
They're reopening the top of the Mountain for SKIING! this weekend - Sat/Sun/Mon - for Memorial Day! Crazy.

I got my hammock setup in the backyard (no quilts on it) and came inside to check my computer, etc. Grabbed my UQ and headed back outside...and apparently my roommate has setup automatic sprinklers :eek: Which means my hammock is now attempting to dry for an hour on the back of a deck chair away from the sprinklers. The sun is gone (nighttime) so I am not hopeful that it will. Wish I had known about said-sprinklers ahead of time as I would have turned them off. Luckily, all my quilts were still inside so only the hammock is wet.

Shorts weather today, but temp has dropped rapidly since the sun went down. I should be warm enough I think, but since I was planning on going camping this weekend (it might rain) I was hoping to get a proper nights sleep before heading out. So may push it back a day so I can test the summer gear tomorrow night (and turn the sprinklers off ahead of time!).

Syrrka
05-22-2014, 22:53
I'd be interested in doing this. I've got a 3 day trip planned for mid-July and a 4 day trip for mid August, but would like to meet other hammock ppl and see other hammocks.

mcallaghan
05-22-2014, 23:14
Awesome. Me too. I don't know anyone out here who is really into camping or anything, so am always going on my own.

Good news - the hammock dried really fast. I got it set back up along with a rain tarp just in time to ward off a random shower that passed through. About to head out there for the night. Will report in the morning. Hopefully with pictures of the setup.

mcallaghan
05-27-2014, 11:47
My trees aren't perfect and I still have some adjusting to do with the hang. I think I need to lower the head end a little as I slide towards my feet during the night.

Was unable to go camping this weekend due to the Thunderstorm on Saturday and constant rain on Sunday. The sun didn't shine till yesterday. This week is looking better and if anyone is in the area, I am probably going to go up Hunter Creek either Friday or Saturday for an overnighter with only (pending car-ride) 1.5 - 3 hours of hiking to the camp site.

mcallaghan
05-27-2014, 15:01
So - to set a date - I am thinking we can do a Hunter Creek Hang in June. Call it Car Camping too - only a 1.5 hr hike in from the Parking Lot by the Miners Huts. I am going to get up there this coming weekend so will take some pictures. I'll also time it to see just how long it takes, but I do believe its around the 1.5 Hr Mark.

For those looking for a longer Hike, they can start in town and do the nearly 1000'ft climb over the first mile or two of the route - the scenic route would be up the Creek which is a series of Waterfalls in that section. Probably give yourself a 3-hour long hike if going that route.

Weather should be fine at that time of year, very few bugs, and generally cooler night temps (at around 9,000ft Elevation, if not higher).

Potentially a longer hike if we want to explore further up the valley on either side of the Creek. Would anyone be interested? If so, what weekend(s) would work?

joefbtg28
05-30-2014, 16:55
Certainly!
Alternatively, we could always go up towards the Maroon Bells. I'm only familiar as far as Crate Lake, but know the people who head off to climb the Bells have campsites along the way so I am sure it would be possible to head up there. It would just be a lot more crowded then either of the other trails given its a big tourist draw.

I would stay clear of the Conundrum Creek trail that heads to the hot springs below Maroon Bells. Did that two summers ago and there were more than 100 people 10 miles and 2100 vertical feet in! Not my idea of a good backcountry camping experience.

CopperJL
06-04-2014, 16:45
I would stay clear of the Conundrum Creek trail that heads to the hot springs below Maroon Bells. Did that two summers ago and there were more than 100 people 10 miles and 2100 vertical feet in! Not my idea of a good backcountry camping experience.

Really surprising to hear such bad reviews of Conundrum. I did the trip several times last summer (both Fri-Sun stays) and never experienced anything remotely as bad as what you two have discribed. I heard stories and saw the cabin that the cows froze in, in 2012. The forest service took the roof off that cabin to keep people/animals from taking shelter there.
Only one of the trips were the sites mostly full; a large group came and had to stay up the hill towards triangle pass. The other weekend it was nearly empty. But other than that no problems at all. Never saw any garbage/waste. In fact there were 3 forest rangers there checking everyone's permits and issuing tickets for dogs.

Maybe it's lost it's novelty, maybe you were wanting to be all alone, or I just hit it perfectly both times. But I never saw anything that would make me hesitate on going back.

mcallaghan
06-12-2014, 11:17

Recent picture of the mountains. Aspen Mountain is the one in the foreground...just a scattering of snow and thats around the 12,000ft mark.

Syrrka
06-15-2014, 00:48
If it is on the weekend, I have to bow out. I have no weekends free in June.

Bannerstone
06-30-2014, 08:09
I'll be hitting the Four Pass Trail Aug 1 with a group of friends for 3 or 4 nights, I'll be the only hanger in the group. Hoping to get some good fishing time in as well.

David

mcallaghan
07-15-2014, 10:29
Nice. I am taking a weeks vacation either last week of July or first week of August. Aug 1 - 3 I have to be in Denver for some Coaching courses, so I am either taking the week off before or after that. Will do some midweek camping. Soccer has been kicking my *** this year so haven't had a chance to hang yet, but plan on doing so while on my vacation (no money to go anywhere cool, but luckily i live where most people vacation).

If anyone is in the area or interested, I am probably just going to do the Hunter Creek hike + hang I've been talking about for a while.