PDA

View Full Version : Python Skin with Structured Opening

lvleph
04-05-2007, 17:52
I decided it would be easier to slide the python skins over my hammock and sleeping bag if it stayed open by itself. So I figured out that I could put a ziptie in the rolled hem at the opening. Basically, just cut off the lock portion of the ziptie like in the photo below. Insert it into the rolled hem at the large end. The proceed like normal.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/7/8/IMG_06011.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/7/8/IMG_06031.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/7/8/IMG_06051.JPG

briarpatch
04-05-2007, 20:23
I used some 3/4" webbing in the hem of mine for stiffness. It works like a charm, it keeps the open end from rolling up, but is more flexible than the plastic strips.

blackbishop351
04-05-2007, 21:11
Zipties are what Hennessy uses in their skins, by the way.

On mine, I just cut the tie the full girth of the end of the skin, allowing for the seam. It's not a nice circle, but it's round everywhere except at the seam and it works fine. I also melt both ends of the tie where I cut them - rounds off the edges very nicely to prevent abrasion.

lvleph
04-06-2007, 06:46
I didn't have long enough zipties. I kinda' figured Hennessy used zipties. That is what they feel like.

Coffee
04-06-2007, 10:57
Looking at your pics, here is an idea I use on mine that might help them come out a little cleaner. I hem both openings, then I sew the long seam so that the skins come out wrong side out. Then I turn then right side out and sew another stitch line just below the fold on the long seam. This hids the ends. You could sew 2 stitch lines then turn it right side out, but I think my way takes more stress.

headchange4u
04-06-2007, 13:38
Ya know...some heavy weed eater line, like .08 to .130 mil, would probably work great for this application. Cut to length also.

lvleph
04-06-2007, 13:50
Looking at your pics, here is an idea I use on mine that might help them come out a little cleaner. I hem both openings, then I sew the long seam so that the skins come out wrong side out. Then I turn then right side out and sew another stitch line just below the fold on the long seam. This hids the ends. You could sew 2 stitch lines then turn it right side out, but I think my way takes more stress.
I just was not done yet.

Ya know...some heavy weed eater line, like .08 to .130 mil, would probably work great for this application. Cut to length also.
Good Point.

slowhike
04-06-2007, 15:07

hey... i like that!

Peter_pan
04-07-2007, 06:47
I didn't have long enough zipties. I kinda' figured Hennessy used zipties. That is what they feel like.

Try Lowes... they have long enough zip ties.

Pan

lvleph
04-07-2007, 09:03
Try Lowes... they have long enough zip ties.

Pan

I just wanted to use what I already had.

blackbishop351
04-07-2007, 10:13

I get 'em at Walmart for about $2/100 count.