PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Round Valley paddle>5-17-2014

Pages : [1] 2

njredneck
04-29-2014, 19:05
I'm Heading to Round Valley 5-17-2014 for an overnight. The boys are away at a scout camporee that weekend and I need to get out. I'm going to paddle in early Sat morning set up camp and then go fishing. Any and all are welcome to join me.

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 19:48
Ratdog talked me into a fishing license so I would love to come. However, the wife is graduating with her master's degree and my son has a two-day rowing regatta that weekend so sadly I can't make it. Enjoy!

njredneck
04-29-2014, 20:03
Ratdog talked me into a fishing license so I would love to come. However, the wife is graduating with her master's degree and my son has a two-day rowing regatta that weekend so sadly I can't make it. Enjoy!

Congrats to the wife and good luck to the boy. See you next time

Hey man if you don't mind another paddler, I'd like to join ya! I just got my yak this past week but I've gotta save up for a roof rack even though it almost fits in the trunk with the back seat folded down. Is there car access to the site you're going to or is it only reachable by boat? Reason I ask is that I don't know just how legal it is to be driving with the yak hanging out with a red shirt dangling from it and the trunk lid completely obstructing my rear view. It'd take me about 45 minutes to get to Round Valley if I'm not mistaken.

All are welcome.There is no car access it is either paddle or hike in. I have both a canoe and kayak and can bring either or both depending on the number of people coming.

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 20:23
I'm Heading to Round Valley 5-17-2014 for an overnight. The boys are away at a scout camporee that weekend and I need to get out. I'm going to paddle in early Sat morning set up camp and then go fishing. Any and all are welcome to join me.

Finally getting a chance to sneak away, eh?

I'm interested - I'll consult the schedule keeper, and let you know. :cool:

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 20:30
Actually, I might be able to make it, though logistics may prevent me from bringing my canoe as I'll be in Philly for my son's regatta (I would not take my canoe and leave it overnight on my car in inner city Philly). If I can't hitch a ride on your boat, Mike (or you've already started paddling by the time I arrive), how long is the hike in?

njredneck
04-29-2014, 20:51
Actually, I might be able to make it, though logistics may prevent me from bringing my canoe as I'll be in Philly for my son's regatta (I would not take my canoe and leave it overnight on my car in inner city Philly). If I can't hitch a ride on your boat, Mike (or you've already started paddling by the time I arrive), how long is the hike in?

I think its around 3-4 miles.

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 21:31
I think its around 3-4 miles.

Yeah, website says it's 3 miles from parking lot into the campsites - that assumes you go counter-clockwise around the reservoir. But it looks like you can go clockwise instead, and make it 5 miles.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/rvramapletterpage.pdf

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 21:38
Well that sounds like a perfect night hike! I may not get back from Philly till late. We shall see.

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 21:41
Hmmmmmmm. This is tempting. We have a lot, including a wedding in florida in May. But, if I can get away for the weekend, I think I may try to join you fellas. I'll let you know how that weekend looks. Thanks for the offer... Unless this trip is called, "the no pinballwizards paddle"

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 21:41
Just talked to the wife - she is coming to Philly on Saturday to relieve me of my parental duties so I can skedaddle:
R-U-N-N-O-F-T
tsAZ0RweVxk
However, if my canoe is needed or desired for this trip, somebody might have to come and get it, or I could drop it off to somebody on my way to Philly.
6x0Al5QkxDE

Syb
04-29-2014, 21:44
I'll be checking with SWMBO about this... Love to get out again.

Ratdog
04-29-2014, 21:46
Night hike!

5/17 - will check.
Need to do some fishing.

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 21:46
I'll be checking with SWMBO about this... Love to get out again.

Whoa … Syb might actually get out of the house for this? :scared: Now I have to try and make it.

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 21:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0Al5QkxDE

Ratdog
04-29-2014, 21:48
Hmmmmmmm. This is tempting. We have a lot, including a wedding in florida in May. But, if I can get away for the weekend, I think I may try to join you fellas. I'll let you know how that weekend looks. Thanks for the offer... Unless this trip is called, "the no pinballwizards paddle"

Uh, more like the "must have pizza" trip...

Just the P-Wiz or is PlayItBetter in??? :cool:

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 21:50
Just talked to the wife - she is coming to Philly on Saturday to relieve me of my parental duties so I can skedaddle:
R-U-N-N-O-F-T
tsAZ0RweVxk
However, if my canoe is needed or desired for this trip, somebody might have to come and get it, or I could drop it off to somebody on my way to Philly.
6x0Al5QkxDE

Heh … I was wondering whether you were going to post video clips of this.

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 21:52
I haven't seen Syb in so long I begin to wonder if he ever existed. To think, he used to be one of my hammock heroes. He taught me a lot back in the day!

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 21:57
I haven't seen Syb in so long I begin to wonder if he ever existed. To think, he used to be one of my hammock heroes. He taught me a lot back in the day!

Last time I saw Syb was a few years ago when we ran into each other randomly at Bed Bath & Beyond. We barely recognized each other when not scruffy or wearing down jackets. If I remember correctly, we both had gone there on a quest for something for the wife, and had both found random everyday items that we saw some camping multi-use for.

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 22:03
The trip is lacking that international flavor - we need a designated foreigner. Where's Pretbek?

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 22:05
Syb will probably run around the lake 10 times training for a marathon the day after our hang. :lol:

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 22:16
Uh, more like the "must have pizza" trip...

Just the P-Wiz or is PlayItBetter in??? :cool:

PlayItBetter is not in. I just found out that this is the date of her nephew's birthday party, so I am weighing if I am able to go camping instead of a 12 yr old's birthday. I got one of those, "do what you think is right." I think this may be entrapment.
Either way, it may be hard to carry a pizza stone on my back, SOOOO.
IF I can make it and-
IF I paddle-
THEN I'll make pizza for all.:thumbup:

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 22:16
However, if I hike in, I'll have to bring a different, less stoneware, treat for all:thumbup1:

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 22:19
BUT....
IF I am stuck at a 12 year old's birthday party the whole time, I will just have to secretly cry on the inside while I bring nothing for nobody
:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying: crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying

SilvrSurfr
04-29-2014, 22:23
I'm Korean if that helps lol.

Can you bring some kimchi? I imagine it tastes very good with bacon and eggs.

I love the smell of marinated cabbage in the morning!:lol:

pinballwizard
04-29-2014, 22:36
I just found out that the party starts at two, and I looked at the map to see her sister only lives an hour from round valley reservoir, so I'll just drive separate.. And with that, I should be able to make it after all, but I will probably show up in the evening. :thumbup:

silentorpheus
04-29-2014, 22:56
Can you bring some kimchi? I imagine it tastes very good with bacon and eggs.

I love the smell of marinated cabbage in the morning!:lol:

Am I going crazy, or did pilsburythrowboy12's posts just disappear?

njredneck
04-30-2014, 05:20
Am I going crazy, or did pilsburythrowboy12's posts just disappear?

Its gone. But that does not mean your not going crazy:lol:

P-47ChowHound
04-30-2014, 05:32
I am in. SilvrSurfr I could haul your canoe up if it would work out for the better. I will take a "vow of navigational silence"

Suede
04-30-2014, 05:52
Reading these posts makes me want to buy a canoe..

perrito
04-30-2014, 07:17
Is this at a paid campsite? If so, how many people can there be before needing another site?

silentorpheus
04-30-2014, 07:33
Is this at a paid campsite? If so, how many people can there be before needing another site?

The NJ DEP site is a little vague and confusing, but it looks like wilderness sites are minimum 1 person, max 6. Group sites are max 25 people (that seems high, unless they're just open fields).

The only issue I see is that it says you have to reserve sites for a minimum of 2 nights. You can do a 1 night walk in reservation … but then run the risk of not having anything available.

Cost is also confusing, without actually booking. I think it's $17 per SITE for NJ residents for the wilderness sites, or $4 per PERSON for the group wilderness sites. I'll assume that's per night stayed.

NJRedneck - you been here before? Any idea on what the tree situation is like?

njredneck
04-30-2014, 07:38
I have not been there yet. I was going to run up on Sunday to check out the group sites to see if they are an option. Will report back then

Syb
04-30-2014, 08:08
Whoa … Syb might actually get out of the house for this? :scared: Now I have to try and make it. And where were you for MAHHA? :D

I haven't seen Syb in so long I begin to wonder if he ever existed. To think, he used to be one of my hammock heroes. He taught me a lot back in the day! Me, a hero? I taught someone something? You sure you've got the right guy?

Last time I saw Syb was a few years ago when we ran into each other randomly at Bed Bath & Beyond. We barely recognized each other when not scruffy or wearing down jackets. If I remember correctly, we both had gone there on a quest for something for the wife, and had both found random everyday items that we saw some camping multi-use for. All true.

Syb will probably run around the lake 10 times training for a marathon the day after our hang. :lol: You're probably right. :lol:

silentorpheus
04-30-2014, 08:16
I have not been there yet. I was going to run up on Sunday to check out the group sites to see if they are an option. Will report back then

Paddling, or just a quick hike in to do recon? It's a little over 30 minutes from where I live, so if you just hit it up for a day hike I might be free to walk in with you, and look around.

njredneck
04-30-2014, 10:47
Paddling, or just a quick hike in to do recon? It's a little over 30 minutes from where I live, so if you just hit it up for a day hike I might be free to walk in with you, and look around.

I planned on just hiking in and looking around. Planning on going early 8:30-9 o'clock . Could always use the company.

SilvrSurfr
04-30-2014, 11:24
I am in. SilvrSurfr I could haul your canoe up if it would work out for the better. I will take a "vow of navigational silence"

I may take you up on that.

As for "vow of navigational silence," it's a lake so hopefully nothing to crash into. Anyway, we wouldn't want to lose the comedic effect of your navigational instructions!:lol:

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 15:12
NJRedneck and I hiked in to do a little recon. Here's the track:

http://share.gps.motionxlive.com/shr/x/track/48a9741218e3e666b67fb7f6e7c03867

That was the hike in to the camp. Totally was not expecting that ... lots of steep inclines, rocks, mud … we're both out of shape, but yikes.

NJR left his tracker on the whole time, so it got all our wanderings and the trip out as well. Think we put in 8.5 - 9 miles. Once you get to camp, the sites stretch out over almost 3 miles along the shore of the reservoir. And no, SS, you do not want to night hike there. You'd break an ankle. :cool:

pinballwizard
05-04-2014, 15:38

That was the hike in to the camp. Totally was not expecting that ... lots of steep inclines, rocks, mud … we're both out of shape, but yikes.

NJR left his tracker on the whole time, so it got all our wanderings and the trip out as well. Think we put in 8.5 - 9 miles. Once you get to camp, the sites stretch out over almost 3 miles along the shore of the reservoir. And no, SS, you do not want to night hike there. You'd break an ankle. :cool:

Thanks for the recon. I have to go to a kids party beforehand and then I am an hour drive away.. What would be the latest you would recommend someone staring their hike in on saturday, for someone who is not a marathoner like Syb, or an extremely seasoned hiker.

njredneck
05-04-2014, 15:40

Yeah not what I was expecting. I'm sure I'll be feeling the repercussions of that hike in a day or two. What we learned is that the group sites will handle us, but we have to have at least 7 people or they will bump us to a family site.

With that being said I can reserve a group site for 1 night online if 7 people can make it. If not then we will have to take our chances with a walk in.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you are going to be there.

Thanks
Mike

njredneck
05-04-2014, 15:48
Thanks for the recon. I have to go to a kids party beforehand and then I am an hour drive away.. What would be the latest you would recommend someone staring their hike in on saturday, for someone who is not a marathoner like Syb, or an extremely seasoned hiker.

The park closes at 7pm. Took us about 1.5hrs to make the hike in with just day packs and I'm far more out of shape than I thought I was.:scared:

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 16:43
So far, those interested are:

NJRedneck
SilvrSurfr
SilentOrpheus
P-47Chowhound
Syb
Ratdog
Pinballwizard

Perrito popped his head up for air, but I'm not sure if that's a maybe or not.

I know that I'm still technically a maybe, looks like so is Ratdog.

If everyone who has said anything can go, we just have 7. Maybe 8 if Perrito joins. But that's assuming everyone that posted in the thread can make it.

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 16:45
How long does it take to kayak to the sites?

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 16:48

Not sure, as none of us here have done it.

It was around 3 miles to the start of the camp sites, around the edge of the reservoir. As the crow flies, across the water, I'm guessing it's at least 2 miles.

How long does it take to paddle 2 miles across open water, accounting for wind? :confused:

njredneck
05-04-2014, 16:49

Not sure but you can see the boat ramp from the campsites.

looks like S.O. beat me to it

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 16:51
Not sure but you can see the boat ramp from the campsites.

Yeah, if you check out the GPS map of the track I posted, where we started was the boat ramp (pretty much) and where we ended was the beginning of the camp. You can pretty much draw a line between the two - straight line of site from one to the other across the water.

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 16:54
Very interested!

pinballwizard
05-04-2014, 19:39
does anyone know what the cost of group siting this vs getting a site, or even 2 next to each other?

Not that that is a factor on going for anyone. Just nice to know

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 19:53
does anyone know what the cost of group siting this vs getting a site, or even 2 next to each other?

Not that that is a factor on going for anyone. Just nice to know

The group sites are $3 per person, per night. You can reserve those online for one night, or more. Maximum 25 people.

The family campsites (regular site) has a max of 6 people. They are $17/night, and you have to reserve for a minimum of 2 consecutive nights if you reserve online. You can stay only one night - but only as a walk-in, in which case you run the risk of not getting a site (or at least one you want).

Suede
05-04-2014, 20:00

Just got a canoe and really interested in canoeing, hammocking and fishing!

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 20:01
The park closes at 7pm. Took us about 1.5hrs to make the hike in with just day packs and I'm far more out of shape than I thought I was.:scared:

When the park closes do the use gates? Or can u still come in after 7? I work till 345. I will be late. Park want you out of ur site by 12 o'clock Sunday. So what I think I'm going to do is get another site somewhere there for an extra night and stay as late as I can on Sunday. Still have to work it out with my wifey but it looks good to go

pinballwizard
05-04-2014, 20:18
When the park closes do the use gates? Or can u still come in after 7? I work till 345. I will be late. Park want you out of ur site by 12 o'clock Sunday. So what I think I'm going to do is get another site somewhere there for an extra night and stay as late as I can on Sunday. Still have to work it out with my wifey but it looks good to go

I'm talking out of opinion only, as I have not been to RVR, but I have never known parks to be strict about when you have to clear out. They seem to be good on that. They just want to make sure you are not staying another night without paying for it. I have stayed in sites past the check out time and not had a problem. I just told rangers that I was def not staying another night, and I was just "hanging out" :lol:
YMMV

njredneck
05-04-2014, 20:44

from what i understand the park office closes at 4 so you have to check-in by then and at 7 they close the gates(I think).

njredneck
05-04-2014, 20:47
Just got a canoe and really interested in canoeing, hammocking and fishing!

The more the merrier.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-04-2014, 20:51
Hey popping my head in again. I just got a confirmation on the cancellation of a trip to New Hampshire I was told would need to trump this one so I'd like to take part in this trip if there's room left.

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 21:09
I'm in. I did book my own site cause I have a few of buddy's possibly coming also. I'll also have space there too and I'm saying till late sun nite. I can't wait. I've been wanting to go here for some time now. Should be fun!!!

SilvrSurfr
05-04-2014, 21:25
Hey popping my head in again. I just got a confirmation on the cancellation of a trip to New Hampshire I was told would need to trump this one so I'd like to take part in this trip if there's room left.

Always room in my canoe for you, as long as you don't jump from the shore into the canoe, crazy man.:lol:

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 21:39
I'm in. I did book my own site cause I have a few of buddy's possibly coming also. I'll also have space there too and I'm saying till late sun nite. I can't wait. I've been wanting to go here for some time now. Should be fun!!!

Did you already book a site? If so, which one?

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 21:43
I did. I got site 5. My wife and her friends. And two buddy's and there fam. What site are u?

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 21:55
I hope that isn't a problem. The regular sites only alow 6.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-04-2014, 21:58
Haha thanks again for everything SS, you were awesome company. I hadn't had a good laugh like that in a while and I appreciate it. I assume you enjoyed your nap!?

Always room in my canoe for you, as long as you don't jump from the shore into the canoe, crazy man.:lol:

SilvrSurfr
05-04-2014, 22:00
Haha thanks again for everything SS, you were awesome company. I hadn't had a good laugh like that in a while and I appreciate it. I assume you enjoyed your nap!?

Too busy posting trip report (albeit crappy) from this weekend. The current was too swift to do a proper video trip report. I should have let you steer so I could film.

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 22:20
I hope that isn't a problem. The regular sites only alow 6.

I think we were planning on grabbing that site, since it's got more trees than site 7 (the other group site next to it).

Oops ...

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 22:28
Oh snap. U mean u don't have a spot yet?

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 22:31
Oh snap. U mean u don't have a spot yet?

No, we went in today to look at the camp, and check out some spots. Since we've never been, we didn't know what the tree situation was/is.

We looked at the group sites 5 and 7 … both would work, but 5 looked like it had better tree options for 6+ people. 7 could work as well - it also I think had a better set of spots to put tents.

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 22:33
Plz take mine. I thought u got urs already. All my friends are tenters. I'm the only one in hammock. So if u wmat to swap its fine with me.

SilvrSurfr
05-04-2014, 22:35
Whew! Crisis averted.

SilvrSurfr
05-04-2014, 22:38
I can fit three souls in my canoe, as can NJRedneck. Who else is bringing a boat and do you have spots available? We could always make a second trip to get folks who didn't wanna hike. I need the workout.

Jshep420
05-04-2014, 22:42
Yea. Last thing I want to do is take it spot. Completely read that wrong. I canceled that so plz go grab it for this trip. My bad again! I got another one. Can't wait!!

pinballwizard
05-04-2014, 22:49
I can fit three souls in my canoe, as can NJRedneck. Who else is bringing a boat and do you have spots available? We could always make a second trip to get folks who didn't wanna hike. I need the workout.

I may want to possibly jump in a boat as well. Not sure yet, but it will depend on what I am bringing and what time I get there... And if there is a boat to jump in of course:tonguesmilie:. It also sounds like suede imay be coming with a shiny new boat as well.

njredneck
05-05-2014, 05:41

I also have 2 kayaks I can bring. So buy my count between S.S. and myself we can cover 8 people.

Just booked site 5

Here are the regs on Round Valley
All campers, with reservations or walk-ins, need to check-in at the park office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to pick up their overnight parking permit before leaving to the campgrounds. Registration is permitted between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Campers are not allowed to check-in or go camping without checking-in after 4 p.m.
PETS AND ALCOHOL ARE PROHIBITED ON THE CAMPGROUNDS. Have your equipment with you and be ready to camp when you register. Make and license plates of all vehicles staying overnight must be provided at registration. There is no limit to the number of vehicles in overnight parking. Groups camping please provide a roster at registration with name, address, phone number and driver's license for each individual staying overnight.

Suede
05-05-2014, 08:06
I would like in on this and looks like a great place to christen my boat.

Also been wanting to do some fishing. What are we fishing for? Spin casting lures and such or live bait? Anyone ever flycast the banks or stickups?

Do I need to register at a site?

I can also take a passenger and gear.

How is group site 10? It is available and is waterfront.

silentorpheus
05-05-2014, 08:08
I would like in on this and looks like a great place to christen my boat.

Also been wanting to do some fishing. What are we fishing for? Spin casting lures and such or live bait? Anyone ever flycast the banks or stickups?

Do I need to register at a site?

I can also take a passenger and gear.

How is group site 10? It is available and is waterfront.

Shouldn't be a need to get another site - each group site is good for up to 25 people technically.

Suede
05-05-2014, 08:34
Shouldn't be a need to get another site - each group site is good for up to 25 people technically.

Ok, I wasn't sure about having enough trees and not sure how many people are staying on the site.

silentorpheus
05-05-2014, 08:47
Ok, I wasn't sure about having enough trees and not sure how many people are staying on the site.

The camp is a giant sprawling area. Each site is pretty much a little path to a fire ring area, and at best an area or two to put a tent. I attached a picture of group site 5, as seen from the 'road' (there's a rough service road that runs from one end of the camp to the other. It's 3 miles long).

There's a lot of blowdown from recent storms, and a lot of cut lumber laying around. I know it looks like there's a million spots for hammocks in this picture, but actually the number of good hanging spots isn't as big as it would seem.

That being said, there's plenty of room, assuming you wander a bit away from the fire ring. We're going on the premise that from the sign/road back to the water counts as 'site 5', so I'm sure we can find a spot for people. Plus, if Jshep grabbed another group site, between the two there should be plenty of space for a few tents and a bunch of hammocks. People may just have to get creative.

silentorpheus
05-05-2014, 08:50
Yea. Last thing I want to do is take it spot. Completely read that wrong. I canceled that so plz go grab it for this trip. My bad again! I got another one. Can't wait!!

Which site did you end up grabbing?

Jshep420
05-05-2014, 09:52
I grab site 13 (sorry). But I caught a major snag! After reading the site rules which you said, and calling the woman at the place today I found out that they do not allow you to sign in after 4 o'clock. Which sucks for me because I don't get out of work till 4 o'clock and I live an hour away. I was planning on leaving and casually making it there for maybe a nite hike/kayak. I'm going to work on it today and see what happens. 😭😡

Also when I spoke with her today she is said to be careful kayaking/canoeing. they've been saving people all week long. She told me that when the winds kick up there this SPlashes water in the boats adding more weight making them sink and this weekend alone they saved three people. Not stopping me just something to think about.

Ratdog
05-05-2014, 10:29
Round Valley is not to be taken lightly when paddling the open water. There are a dozen confirmed deaths over the years.

The reservoir is located higher up than much of the surrounding area and gets plenty of wind. So much in fact that there is a wind warning system installed that includes a couple towers on the lake with lights and sirens as well as some sirens surrounding the perimeter. When the alarm sounds, watercraft are to return to dock. Cold water rescues are a regular event.

Paddling along the edge is usually a better choice and better fishing unless you are prepared to hunt the lake trout holding at 65'-80' deep.

May 17th the Round Valley Trout Association (http://www.fishrvta.com) is hosting the 3rd Annual Steve Welgross Memorial Tournament. There will be plenty of anglers on the water. No worries about crowding on the water, it's a big place, but the docks/ramp will be busy with activity.

All of that said, it's a great place to fish and the campsites are removed enough that there is less litter than other areas.

I'm hoping to round up a couple nephews to take them fishing that weekend, maybe enter the tourney.

Ratdog
05-05-2014, 10:44

I grab site five. But I caught a major snag! After reading the site rules which you said, and calling the woman at the place today I found out that they do not allow you to sign in after 4 o'clock. Which sucks for me because I don't get out of work till 4 o'clock and I live an hour away. I was planning on leaving and casually making it there for maybe a nite hike/kayak. I'm going to work on it today and see what happens.

confused...do you have site 5 or did you cancel?
Reserve America says it is taken.
I'm thinking about grabbing 5 or 7 for Friday as well. Walk around, fish, paddle, relax Fri/Sat/Sun.

Jshep420
05-05-2014, 10:54
Sorry. I made a mistake I have 13 rite now. 5 is njredneck

Ratdog
05-05-2014, 11:06
Sorry. I made a mistake I have 13 rite now. 5 is njredneck

No worries, was trying to get a handle on things. Sounds like there will be plenty of room and a good group.
Definitely some Dutch Oven cooking in order, no worries about firewood and who knows, maybe some fish to eat.

njredneck
05-05-2014, 11:18
confused...do you have site 5 or did you cancel?
Reserve America says it is taken.
I'm thinking about grabbing 5 or 7 for Friday as well. Walk around, fish, paddle, relax Fri/Sat/Sun.

For the group sites you have to have at least 7 people or they will push you to a family site. I grabbed 5 this morning to make sure we had it.

Now that we have the site let's talk menu. We could go easy and do burgers and dogs/brats or we can go fancy with something else. I'm easy either works for me.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-05-2014, 12:01
I don't have a dutch oven but I bake a decent loaf of bread at home. If anyone would be kind enough to let me use their dutch oven, I'd like to try my hand at baking some bread in the field over coals. Also as mentioned previously by SS, for some international flair I can make a batch of Korean BBQ rib plates which tend to go over pretty well even with people that are new to the cuisine.

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 12:04
Round Valley is not to be taken lightly when paddling the open water. There are a dozen confirmed deaths over the years.

I don't mess with open water (unless the wind is at my back). When paddling Little Tupper Lake and Lake Lila in the Adirondacks, you can paddle straight down the middle of both lakes in the morning, but about 1 pm the wind always kicks up and you don't want to be out there when it does - you wanna be by the shore. Little Tupper is especially dangerous because it's shallow and can kick up two ft. waves that'll swamp you quickly. I always marvel at waves on freshwater lakes - seems like only the ocean should have waves!

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 12:05
I don't have a dutch oven but I bake a decent loaf of bread at home. If anyone would be kind enough to let me use their dutch oven, I'd like to try my hand at baking some bread in the field over coals. Also as mentioned previously by SS, for some international flair I can make a batch of Korean BBQ rib plates which tend to go over pretty well even with people that are new to the cuisine.

That sounds heavenly.

Suede
05-05-2014, 13:29
I found this on the DEP site for the reservoir:

"A public boat launch is located north of the day use area, which is regulated by the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks, motor boats (up to 10 horsepower) and three chambered inflatable vessels are permitted on the reservoir and must be registered through Motor Vehicle if over 12 feet in length. NJ Boating Rules & Regulations pertain to Round Valley Reservoir at all times. "

Does this mean a canoe needs to be registered with Motor Vehicles?

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 14:17
I found this on the DEP site for the reservoir:

"A public boat launch is located north of the day use area, which is regulated by the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks, motor boats (up to 10 horsepower) and three chambered inflatable vessels are permitted on the reservoir and must be registered through Motor Vehicle if over 12 feet in length. NJ Boating Rules & Regulations pertain to Round Valley Reservoir at all times. "

Does this mean a canoe needs to be registered with Motor Vehicles?

No, canoes and kayaks are exempt.

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered

Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

pinballwizard
05-05-2014, 14:35
what about fees? As far as overnight parking and launching...

I am still not sure what time I can arrive, which may determine how I am coming in (by land or by sea) IF I come by boat, I will try to hop on one available. I hear Suede has a pretty new canoe that I may try to join him in. It seems that I would be getting to the park at 4 though, so I don't want to hold anyone up. (Party I HAVE to go to is at 2. I can leave after about 45 min. From Souderton Pa to RVR is about an hour, getting me there right before 4). I hate that timing is so close, but it just seems that's what it is.

I have a fancy new 8 qt dutch oven I can bring if I come in by boat. Then we can make that bread and some kind of good meal in it. I make pretty killer mexican. I also have a great stuffed pepper soup recipe, along with a few other things I can make.... But I am not %100 coming in by boat.

Also, I am NEVER opposed to dogs, burgers, or steaks on an open fire, with a can of beans in the fire and some potatoes wrapped in foil, thrown in the fire too. I love cooking right on the fire when we get the chance

Suede
05-05-2014, 14:37
No, canoes and kayaks are exempt.

Boats and marine equipment that do not have to be registered

Non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Ok, thanks for that clarification. It seemed a bit nuts when I read it but that's what it said.

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 15:10

I called Round Valley and you would only have to have a NJ Boat Ramp Maintenance permit IF you were a day tripper. People who reserve campsites don't have to have a permit to launch.

One thing the lady said kind of concerns me. You could leave home with your canoe, and arrive to find the wind warning system in effect - no boats allowed on the water. She advised to have a backpack in case of a paddling ban. Geez, I hope that doesn't happen, 'cause I would hate to leave my canoe in the parking lot.

Suede
05-05-2014, 15:26

I am still not sure what time I can arrive, which may determine how I am coming in (by land or by sea) IF I come by boat, I will try to hop on one available. I hear Suede has a pretty new canoe that I may try to join him in. It seems that I would be getting to the park at 4 though, so I don't want to hold anyone up. (Party I HAVE to go to is at 2. I can leave after about 45 min. From Souderton Pa to RVR is about an hour, getting me there right before 4). I hate that timing is so close, but it just seems that's what it is.

I have a fancy new 8 qt dutch oven I can bring if I come in by boat. Then we can make that bread and some kind of good meal in it. I make pretty killer mexican. I also have a great stuffed pepper soup recipe, along with a few other things I can make.... But I am not %100 coming in by boat.

Also, I am NEVER opposed to dogs, burgers, or steaks on an open fire, with a can of beans in the fire and some potatoes wrapped in foil, thrown in the fire too. I love cooking right on the fire when we get the chance

I hope to be there long before you and probably out fishing so I could swing by and sherpa you over to the camp site.

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 16:48
We're camping in the New Jersey Bermuda Triangle, according to this article:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/njs_bermuda_triangle_mystery_s.html

1) Twenty six people have drowned since 1971; six of them have never been found.
2) Any vessel smaller than 14 feet is in danger of capsizing in the wind, which can reach speeds of up to 40 mph because of the valley’s bowl shape.
3) The wind can be at its worst between 10 and 11 a.m., and there are strobe lights along the shore that flash when the water gets too choppy.

njredneck
05-05-2014, 17:06
3) The wind can be at its worst between 10 and 11 a.m., and there are strobe lights along the shore that flash when the water gets too choppy.

All the more reason to start early before the wind starts blowing. personally I would prefer to be on the water by 9am leaves plenty of time for fishing.:D

aircoder
05-05-2014, 19:07
If you all don't mind, and swmbo permitting i might pack in and meet you all at the campsite.

njredneck
05-05-2014, 19:14
If you all don't mind, and swmbo permitting i might pack in and meet you all at the campsite.

Should be plenty of room

pinballwizard
05-05-2014, 20:02
I hope to be there long before you and probably out fishing so I could swing by and sherpa you over to the camp site.

Water taxi!!! Gotta love it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Suede
05-05-2014, 20:08
Water taxi!!! Gotta love it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well I might do a silvrsurfr move, put you in the front and let you paddle. :laugh:

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 20:45
Well I might do a silvrsurfr move, put you in the front and let you paddle. :laugh:

Hey, there's great entertainment value in watching someone try to steer a canoe from the bow! I watched pilsburythrowboy12 try to do it all weekend!

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 20:47
Speaking of paddling - is anyone an accomplished paddler? I'd like to learn a few strokes but the YouTube videos put me to sleep in two minutes flat. I've been canoeing for 40+ years and really don't know any darned strokes.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-05-2014, 21:27
So all that hell, pain and misery I was hearing from the thorns and trees I kept swinging you into was your idea of a good time eh? :lol:

Hey, there's great entertainment value in watching someone try to steer a canoe from the bow! I watched pilsburythrowboy12 try to do it all weekend!

Chris183
05-05-2014, 21:39
darn darn darn! I wish we could make it, we're really looking to get our first overnight hang going on. I'll see if I can get someone to cover my shift at work if you guys have any room left for 2!

pinballwizard
05-05-2014, 21:47
darn darn darn! I wish we could make it, we're really looking to get our first overnight hang going on. I'll see if I can get someone to cover my shift at work if you guys have any room left for 2!

Ohhhhh..... I think we can only fit 1.746 more people. A solid two may be tough....
What would you say your combined weights are:lol:

I'm just kidding... Hammocking ain't like no airline seating. We fit all sizes and the entire person. Get the shift covered and get out here

Suede
05-05-2014, 22:02
Speaking of paddling - is anyone an accomplished paddler? I'd like to learn a few strokes but the YouTube videos put me to sleep in two minutes flat. I've been canoeing for 40+ years and really don't know any darned strokes.

Spending the weekend in the jersey Bermuda Triangle with no skills? Do you have a death wish?

SilvrSurfr
05-05-2014, 22:07
Looks like we have 13 signed up/interested:

Name Number of People
njredneck 1
silvrsurfr 1
pilsburythrowboy12 1
silentorpheus 1
ratdog 1
syb 1
pinballwizard 1
P-47Chowhound 1
jshep420 1
Suede 1
aircoder 1
chris183 2

Correct me if my numbers are wrong.

njredneck
05-06-2014, 06:26
Groups camping please provide a roster at registration with name, address, phone number and driver's license for each individual staying overnight. The park wants a roster I need everyone attending to PM me with the info minus drivers license so I can put it together.

Thanks
Mike

Ratdog
05-06-2014, 07:09
I have invited 12 others, I'll be happy if 1 makes it.
I'm up against 4 soccer games and a Post-Prom party. :rolleyes::cool:

Jshep420
05-06-2014, 10:45
Very sad to say I'm out also!! Sucks cause I've been trying to catch up with u guys for a few months now. But my work schedule is very tight until June. In the summer (after june21) I have fri-sun off every weekend, so I can get some hang time in.

Ratdog
05-06-2014, 12:35
Very sad to say I'm out also!! Sucks cause I've been trying to catch up with u guys for a few months now. But my work schedule is very tight until June. In the summer (after june21) I have fri-sun off every weekend, so I can get some hang time in.

WHAT ?!?!?

You rented a site, changed it, rented a new one and you, your wife, her friends, a couple buddies and their families....all cancelled??

That sucks.

Oh well, always other trips.
Still Round Valley will be a good paddle and good fishing.

SilvrSurfr
05-06-2014, 12:48
What exactly are we fishing for? What bait, lures or whatever should I bring?

Jshep420
05-06-2014, 12:54
Yea. My wife's friends can't kayak. And aren't good hikers. One buddy is out due to graduation party. I'm prepaired for rvr, but part of this group isn't. The hike/ crazy waters will not be fun to wife's friends. They're good car campers. Sorry for all the confusion. I really wanted to come with you guys. But we will meet up this summer without wifey's friends. And thank you for all the awesome opportunities. Hammock forum is awesome!

Suede
05-06-2014, 13:32
What exactly are we fishing for? What bait, lures or whatever should I bring?

I found a fishing report for the reservoir and it sounds like people are catching a lot on shiners (minnows) and "dead bait", whatever that is (thinking its maybe corn or something). There are bass, pike and trout to be caught there. I will probably pick up some shiners at a nearby bait shop and bring my usual assortment of lures (worms, rapalas, spinners) and my spin rig. I have a deadly old lure that looks somewhat like a frog with one of those scoops on the front like a jitterbug that I have caught some huge bass and pike on. I actually snagged a pike on its double set of treble hooks once.

Ratdog
05-06-2014, 14:04
Trophy Fish - Muskies and Lake Trout
Shoreline fishing - large mouth, small mouth, panfish of various sorts, pickerel and your assorted trash mouth fish.
Feed fish - they have stocked shiners & herring

Me, during the day, I'll be bumping the bottom Alabama style, or Indiana style depending on who you listen to...bang me some smallies and buckets mouths, maybe bust a slob or two, if I'm lucky, a school bus. Morning and evening I'll wet a fly with a 5 wt, if I find them, maybe try some Tenkara. Night time is the right time for cat fishing. Love me some fat bullheads.

Some yellow perch would be nice to eat, tough to prep, but good eats. For them I throw my complicated fighter formation spinner rig.

Basically I'm bringing the kitchen sink, a fly rod, 2 tenkara setups, an ultra light spinning setup and maybe a medium weight spinning setup.

http://www.fishrvta.com

https://roundvalleyfishing.com

Ratdog
05-06-2014, 14:06
There are a couple natural trout streams near by and a few stocked.
One or two of them feed into Round Valley.

I could spend 3-4 days up there just hanging and fishing...

SilvrSurfr
05-06-2014, 14:08
Ratdog, I have no idea what you just said, but hopefully, you can help me get a few fish on the hook.

aircoder
05-06-2014, 14:40
Ratdog, I have no idea what you just said, but hopefully, you can help me get a few fish on the hook.

lol fishing lingo thats to funny read it as if it was plain english, but after your comment I sat there and went wow that would make no sense to most people.

natureboy68
05-06-2014, 20:17
This is why HF forum is awesome!! Never heard of RVR, before, but paddling, camping, and SCUBA? I'll be hitting this place up soon! Only a 2 hr drive too!!

Jshep420
05-06-2014, 21:17
I definitely want to try this place. I want to do it when I have more time to get there. I think I might also go with my buddies got a bigger boat with a bigger engine.

Syb
05-07-2014, 08:31
I just got confirmation I'm in for this trip. Sans paddle for me.

Suede
05-07-2014, 10:11
I just got confirmation I'm in for this trip. Sans paddle for me.

It was nice meeting you at MAHHA. Looking forward to hanging out on this trip.

Ratdog
05-07-2014, 12:01
Dadgummit this trip has me itchin' to work some shakey head action. Can't wait.
Even thinking about borrowing a pram for a sherpa boat.

Suede
05-07-2014, 14:05
Dadgummit this trip has me itchin' to work some shakey head action. Can't wait.
Even thinking about borrowing a pram for a sherpa boat.

Is that a boat to haul sherpas or a boat to sherpa more equipment?

I get out fishing a few times a year but for most of a week when I go up to Lk Champlain in august. Often the lake can be quite windy, even at 6 in the morning. Last trip was windy most of the time so didn't get out much. I am looking forward to a good day of fishing on Sat and maybe Sun morning (if I don't sleep in), which will depend on my previous nights consumption.

I am stoked!

Ratdog
05-07-2014, 14:56
Is that a boat to haul sherpas or a boat to sherpa more equipment?

I get out fishing a few times a year but for most of a week when I go up to Lk Champlain in august. Often the lake can be quite windy, even at 6 in the morning. Last trip was windy most of the time so didn't get out much. I am looking forward to a good day of fishing on Sat and maybe Sun morning (if I don't sleep in), which will depend on my previous nights consumption.

I am stoked!

Whatever is needed I suppose. Need to check the condition of a couple deep cycle marine batteries. Trolling motor would be the way to handle that, rowing gets old. Unless SS's son happens to be joining us??? lol

Wind is the killer at this place but I've been there on what were calm days a few times in the last couple of years. Here's hoping.

mrcheviot
05-07-2014, 15:19
Hmm.. had been planning on a long Sat/Sun overnight to Harriman next weekend to get my hiking legs back pre-SHT in Minnesota over Memorial Day, but I might need to join you fellas instead. No NJ fishing license though, nor do I have a pole or paddle.

pinballwizard
05-07-2014, 15:25
Hmm.. had been planning on a long Sat/Sun overnight to Harriman next weekend to get my hiking legs back pre-SHT in Minnesota over Memorial Day, but I might need to join you fellas instead. No NJ fishing license though, nor do I have a pole or paddle.

I was about to PM you and Matt about this. With the amount of boats that are gonna be there, getting into a canoe shouldn't be tough. There's always hiking in too. I still may go that route, because I need the hiking practice

pilsburythrowboy12
05-07-2014, 19:36
Hey Rat what kinda tackle should I be bringing? I'm new to freshwater fishing and only have limited knowledge of trout spinners like Panther martin spinner lures.

Ratdog
05-07-2014, 22:10
Fishing for the lake trout requires getting down deep. Though it's earlier in the year and water temps are a bit cooler, I'm not really going to seriously try to go after any big fish. If I happen to paddle over some deep water because it's calm weather, then I might drop some live bait down.

Most fishing is just offshore, fishing back toward the shoreline. That will get you some panfish, largemouth bass and pickerel. Deeper water, 10-25ft with some structure will get you some small mouth bass and some bigger sized large mouth bass. Brown and Rainbow trout will be trickier to find but can be up in the shallows hunting in the grasses if temps are low enough.

Surface lures will get the bass and pickerel to hit, running just below the surface will get you some of the panfish.
Live bait is great, shiners will get gobbled and everything will eat a worm.

I like silver spinners with white tails, anywhere from 1 to 7 (Alabama rig) at a time.
Bass holding at 20ft near some structure will hit shiners or lures that look like small bass and have some action.

Jigging a worm off the bottom, shaky heading, works well if you have a worm that floats so it looks like something is rooting around on the bottom, head down, tail up.

Surface stuff, I like poppers.

Spinners, I like silver with a tail color that resembles any local small fish. For example if Pumpkin Seeds are around, they have nice orange bellies, so I go with an orange tail on the spinner and the pickerel or bass slam them. If the local Sunfish have yellow bellies, I use a yellow tail on the silver spinner.

The websites I posted have some good info. There is a tackle shop nearby, Behre Bait and Tackle that will hook you up. So will Effinger's.

https://roundvalleyfishing.com/bait/
http://www.fishrvta.com/Bait_Shops.html

For gear I get lots of fun out of Ultralight setups using 2-4lb test on 4 1/2 - 5ft rods.
A 6ft medium action rod with 8 lb test will handle anything near the shore.

Trout fishing is a whole other deal, I prefer flyfishing for them and I match the hatch.
Spinner wise, silver spinners with small red beads work for me.

For lures like Panther Martins, I run them naked or with a white tail. Again, I prefer silver but if there is a local baitfish, again I will try to match the color. White, Orange and Yellow are the only colors I've had luck with.

This trip I do not expect to hit any of the feeder streams that are home to some brookies, unless I work in an extra day.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-07-2014, 22:17
Holy crow, I guess I'll be hitting the tackle shop pretty hard.

SilvrSurfr
05-07-2014, 22:52
I need a new fishing rod. Anybody have any recommendations on an economical setup?

SilvrSurfr
05-07-2014, 23:01
Does anyone have a shiner pot? Maybe it's called a live well. One of those buckets that aerate the shiners. Don't see much point in buying shiners if they die on me.

Ratdog
05-07-2014, 23:08
I have a battery powered air pump somewhere, it clips on the edge of any bucket and it's what I use for shiners. Haven't used it since before Irene so hopefully it's still in the garage but I honestly don't know if it survived or was tossed.

aircoder
05-08-2014, 00:13
Does anyone have a shiner pot? Maybe it's called a live well. One of those buckets that aerate the shiners. Don't see much point in buying shiners if they die on me.

You can use a milk jug or soda bottle and a hole punch to put some holes in it... then float it in the water no need to get anything fancy just need holes small enough to keep them fishes in it. Key to keeping them live is water consistency, oxygen in water, and consistant temperature.

P-47ChowHound
05-08-2014, 05:10
SilvrSurfr, I will be out of town for several days. Return Sat. Will give you a call to work out logistics of me hauling your canoe and what ever else.

P-47ChowHound
05-09-2014, 09:47
WHAT!!! I post and no action for over 24 hours. You are going to give me a complex.:lol:

aircoder
05-09-2014, 10:04
Action !!!

Jshep420
05-09-2014, 10:06
Ha. Beat me too it

Ratdog
05-09-2014, 10:26
I am at +1 and counting.

Ratdog
05-09-2014, 12:33
Heads up on PFD info.

http://www.westmarine.com

West Marine is running a sale today on inflatable PFD's, USCG Type V rating. (Performs like Type III)

$50 gets you an inflatable waist pack, $70 gets an inflatable wearable.
Pricey, but the convenience/comfort factor is there. Prices are normally $40 higher per.
Wearing a PFD is required on the water at Round Valley, USCG Approved, Type not specified.

Best price on Amazon is about $70 w/ Prime shipping.

The waist packs are popular with SUP's.

This deal is good for today only.

Vests from some place like Dicks Sporting Goods run $35-$120.
The good old orange around the neck types from Walmart are $8-$15, with adult vests starting around $30.

SierraTradingPost has some deals working
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~pfd/

The Clymb not so much today.
https://www.theclymb.com/search?q=pfd

Didn't find anything at SteepandCheap
http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/summer-buyers-pics#?gender=&size=&brand=

Figure on at least 3 hours paddling.
Also figure on having your gear checked at the dock by officials, especially with a fishing tournament going on.

P-47ChowHound
05-09-2014, 12:52
"action" thanks I feel better.:) When I get home I will check, may be able to provide 3 or 4 life vests.

Suede
05-09-2014, 13:02
Heads up on PFD info.

Figure on at least 3 hours paddling.
Also figure on having your gear checked at the dock by officials, especially with a fishing tournament going on.

Thanks for the info RD. Appreciate it. I'm good for PFD but I may bring a friend and he would need to get one so if he comes, I will pass that along.

Should we assume they will be checking coolers as well?

Ratdog
05-09-2014, 13:15
That is a good question to which I do not have an answer.

My past experience says no, but that was not during tourney time. I would not be surprised if there were an "official" presence on the water checking that all are safe and generally in compliance.

The rules for all NJ State Parks are No Alcohol.

My papers will be in order and my cooler in compliance.
Alles in Ordnung, Jawohl!

silentorpheus
05-09-2014, 13:55
As of right now, count me out on this one. The wife already has plans for that weekend, so unless I come up with a creative way to find someone to watch our son while I lollygag in the woods, I'm on daycare duty for the weekend.

Bollocks.

Syb
05-09-2014, 14:36
As of right now, count me out on this one. The wife already has plans for that weekend, so unless I come up with a creative way to find someone to watch our son while I lollygag in the woods, I'm on daycare duty for the weekend.

Bollocks.
See you Bed Bath and Beyond :D

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 14:54

Bollocks.

Is your child's welfare really a good reason to not be camping?:lol:

Syb
05-09-2014, 15:16
Is anyone attending this hang-n-paddle a Hennessy user? I'd like to check out a bottom-entry hammock, one that has not been sewn. I have some R&D I need to do and this type of hammock will help with a DIY project.

Thanks.

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 15:18
I have a hyperlite I can bring for you

njredneck
05-09-2014, 17:25

Bollocks.

It won't be too long and you will be bringing the boy with you on these trips. See you at the next one.

njredneck
05-09-2014, 17:45
With 1 week left I would like to start finalizing the plans. I you have not yet PM'd me your info for the roster please do so as soon as you can. Those who have already sent me your info thank you.

My plans are to be there fairly early 8:30-9:00 Sat morning to maximize my fishing/relaxing time. Beyond that I have no other plans. When is everyone else thinking of getting there?
I can bring my canoe and 2 kayaks if needed. I have 2 extra pfd's (the orange kind).

What are everyone's thoughts on dinner(burgers/dogs or more of a potluck with everyone bringing something to share with the group or fend for yourself)? I'm good with any suggestions.

Saturday everyone has to stop at the rangers station to check-in and get your parking permit and pay your camping fee. I paid for 7 when I reserved the site. You just have to let them know that you are with the group in site 5.

Looking forward to a good time in the woods and meeting those of you that I have not met yet.

Mike

pilsburythrowboy12
05-09-2014, 19:23
Mike,

I'd like to meet up with you at the same time as I'd like to get a long day of fishing in. As far as food I'm bringing some Korean BBQ ribs for the pot luck if its the decided meal plan. One question, are we going to be allowed to chop / cut any of the wood around the site if there's any dead fall around?

njredneck
05-09-2014, 19:31
Mike,

I'd like to meet up with you at the same time as I'd like to get a long day of fishing in. As far as food I'm bringing some Korean BBQ ribs for the pot luck if its the decided meal plan. One question, are we going to be allowed to chop / cut any of the wood around the site if there's any dead fall around?

There is plenty of wood on the ground for the taking. From what I understand any wood on the ground is fair game. I spent 2 years in Korea and love Korean BBQ mostly Bulgogi could be bringing back good memories with that food.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-09-2014, 19:41
Cool, I just hope my dish doesn't clash with everything else haha. I'm having a fit of anxiety now irrationally thinking everyone is gonna bring nothing but tomato based Italian dishes.

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 19:46
Cool, I just hope my dish doesn't clash with everything else haha. I'm having a fit of anxiety now irrationally thinking everyone is gonna bring nothing but tomato based Italian dishes.

I'm considering mexican, myself... But not sure yet. Though your dish is pushing me in that international theme. Korean BBQ ribs sound awesome

njredneck
05-09-2014, 19:48

I would not worry about any clashing I'm thinking about bringing some ribs to cook in a dutch oven or maybe just make some sausage gravy for breakfast. We have to have Smaco's for dessert.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-09-2014, 19:58
How many we got coming? I'm making about a 5 lb batch, is that gonna suffice?

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 19:59
I would not worry about any clashing I'm thinking about bringing some ribs to cook in a dutch oven or maybe just make some sausage gravy for breakfast. We have to have Smaco's for dessert.

We should get a food roster list thingy going. That way we can see what is needed and what is covered. For example, I am between these four things:
pad thai, mexican, pizza, and stuffed pepper soup. IF I can get out of this birthday party (and that's a big if), I can come earlier. And if that's the case, I am leaning towards hiking in, if someone is willing to sherpa my dutch oven and heavy food stuff with them in their boat. I would only want to do that on the boater's schedule and convienience though

njredneck
05-09-2014, 20:08
How many we got coming? I'm making about a 5 lb batch, is that gonna suffice?

Should be plenty. But if you want to make more I don't think anyone will complain.:lol:

aircoder
05-09-2014, 20:11
I'm hiking in so i'll see what i can carry, i can always hand off some food to some one in a boat and let them bring it over...

silentorpheus
05-09-2014, 20:14

son of a … you're doing ribs again? Dammit. :cursing:

njredneck
05-09-2014, 20:20
son of a … you're doing ribs again? Dammit. :cursing:

You know how it goes gots to impress the new people.:D

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 20:42
now I'm hungry

Suede
05-09-2014, 21:28
Nice to see the excitement coming back to this trip. I don't know what to bring. I don't have a Dutch oven and not a great outdoors cook but I can cook a few good dishes. It sounds like side dishes might be a good thing for me to try to compliment ribs or other meat/fish dishes. I make a mean potato salad with lots of dill, also pasta salad. I was also thinking of BBQ ribs precooked and just throw in the fire wrapped in foil. Baked potatoes is an option. I am still hoping for some fish with a bunch of us out fishing all day it would be an atrocity for us to come up with nothing. RD, do we need some fish processing stuff ie a cutting/cleaning board, breading for fillets, lemon?

Do we want to start a sign up sheet? I could clone one of the google docs sign up sheet with a food tab so we don't have to depend on sifting through pages of messages. Let me know, I'm willing to do it.

Suede
05-09-2014, 21:32
NJR,I am shooting to get there around the same time like 8:30-9:00 ish. I would like to paddle out with someone since I'm not sure where the site is.. Is it marked from the lake side?

SilvrSurfr
05-09-2014, 22:01

Bollocks.

You do know that kids are portable, right? I mean, I'll take a turn watching the brat. When it's nap time, he can take a snooze in my tablecloth hammock with me. I can even change a diaper.

SilvrSurfr
05-09-2014, 22:13

Oh, the stereotypes are simply intolerable! I'm not even from NJ & I'm offended.:lol: First of all, not everybody from NJ is Italian. Second, not all Italian dishes are tomato-based. Third, you better bring some kimchi or I'll be mad.:)

I was thinking of bringing broccoli rabe sautee'd in garlic and olive oil. That's some good Italian eating. No tomatoes involved! As a southerner, I love collard greens but they take too long to cook (three hours). Broccoli rabe tastes just as good and takes 15 minutes to cook.

And it will be an excellent accompaniment to ribs!

pilsburythrowboy12
05-09-2014, 22:15
Craig you do not want to incite a stink-off with the artillery I can scrounge up from my fridge haha!

silentorpheus
05-09-2014, 22:23
NJR,I am shooting to get there around the same time like 8:30-9:00 ish. I would like to paddle out with someone since I'm not sure where the site is.. Is it marked from the lake side?

Yes … each of the sites that have water access have a little mini beach. On the beach there is a little wooden sign on a post, with the site number.

SilvrSurfr
05-09-2014, 22:35
Craig you do not want to incite a stink-off with the artillery I can scrounge up from my fridge haha!

Are you saying broccoli rabe is stinky? Not as stinky as kimchi! I love 'em both.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-09-2014, 22:56
Broccoli rabe is one of my favorites! I agree it'd be the perfect complement too.

pinballwizard
05-09-2014, 23:08
I think some sides and snacks would be good. Not EVERYONE has to make a main dish of ribs and steak and whatnot. I know by the end we will have so much food.. In fact, should we have a few guys cover breakie, and the rest can worry about dinner. John, I like the idea of the signup sheet. How does everyone feel about writing down what you are thinking of bringing, or a TBD. If you don't feel you are the master chef, you can bring eggs, or sausage or something. We could use a few dutch ovens in the morning to make a killer eggs and sausage dutch oven casserole and a breakfast bread or muffin thing.

aircoder
05-09-2014, 23:20
That sounds good to me i'll be happy to bring what ever but you don't want me cooking unless it's breakfast.

aircoder
05-09-2014, 23:21
I also have a co2 style vest if you all need a extra jacket since i'll be hiking in.

Ratdog
05-09-2014, 23:22
I'll bring a dutch oven.
I was thinking ribs but that sounds like it's covered, so I might be in on the breakfast stuff.
Sounds like we could use some mixed veggies for the grill or pan.
Lemon and onion is always good just in case of fish.
I have a bunch of paper plates, can bring trash bags and haul out trash and recycling.

I wouldn't depend on eating caught fish, who knows what we're gonna catch.
Even so, I'll track down a scaler.
For a cleaning board I just split a log and stake it with a knife.
Catfish I just stake to a tree with a knife and skin 'em with pliers.

I'm picking up my first passenger around 4-5AM and am 90 mins out.
Park office doesn't open until 8AM, so we can't head out until at least then. (to the campsite, certainly we can fish)

Figure on paddling the edge of the lake to the campsite, so it's a bit longer than the straight line.
Also plan on taking your time and wetting a line.

njredneck
05-10-2014, 06:02
Do we want to start a sign up sheet? I could clone one of the google docs sign up sheet with a food tab so we don't have to depend on sifting through pages of messages. Let me know, I'm willing to do it.

If you don't mind setting the spreadsheet it will be a big help.

Thanks
Mike

Suede
05-10-2014, 06:07
Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnK2zgZCc6afdHZJNDBHdnBlY292ckdhSzAyZlNGd VE&usp=sharing) is the signup sheet

njredneck
05-10-2014, 06:21
How many boats do we have coming and how many riders?

Suede
05-10-2014, 06:27
How many boats do we have coming and how many riders?

Added to spreadsheet

pinballwizard
05-10-2014, 07:50
Awesome, thanks John:thumbup1:

two things I am not sure about:

1. Do we NEED plates/bowls/cups/silverware? If we do, this is easy. However, I am wondering which is simpler and better: Do we all just bring our own bowl/plate/cup/utensils? I'm happy either way. I may have some stuff if we do want to bring disposable. I have to look.

2. besides meals for group, should we bring things like snacks and drinks? or should we just keep it simple and bring our own? Again, either way, I'll be a happy camper

pinballwizard
05-10-2014, 08:14
I added a column to the spreadsheet in the food department. It says dutch oven for others. This is so people know if there is a dutch oven available for use, if they have a meal without an oven that requires it. I have an oven, but I will be using it for a dinner and to make muffin cake for all in the morning. SO if you are only using your dutch oven at one, or neither meal, specify when it is available for others (dinner, breakie).
And if you are using someone else's, specify meal time with the oven owener's name. If this way is confusing, we can go with a different method. But I figure, you will see an available dinner on one name, and then a claimed oven dinner on another person, referencing the oven owner in the claim. Kinda like a PIF sheet.
I'm sure when we get there, it won't be an issue of who get's who's oven. THis is just to see beforehand the availability and need of more or less ovens

Suede
05-10-2014, 16:03
Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnK2zgZCc6afdHZJNDBHdnBlY292ckdhSzAyZlNGd VE&usp=sharing) is the signup sheet

Last SilvrSurfr checked, there was this much interest.

Name Number of People
njredneck 1
silvrsurfr 1
pilsburythrowboy12 1
silentorpheus 1
ratdog 1
syb 1
pinballwizard 1
P-47Chowhound 1
Suede 1
aircoder 1
chris183 2

So this is a bump to sign up on the sheet.

Jshep420
05-10-2014, 16:22
I'm not going. Sorry.

Suede
05-10-2014, 19:45
Silvrsurfr tentative?

Suede
05-10-2014, 19:56
Awesome, thanks John:thumbup1:

two things I am not sure about:

1. Do we NEED plates/bowls/cups/silverware? If we do, this is easy. However, I am wondering which is simpler and better: Do we all just bring our own bowl/plate/cup/utensils? I'm happy either way. I may have some stuff if we do want to bring disposable. I have to look.

2. besides meals for group, should we bring things like snacks and drinks? or should we just keep it simple and bring our own? Again, either way, I'll be a happy camper

i am bringing my own utensils to keep waste to minimum. I am bringing my own adult and non adult beverages and will include enough for some others

SilvrSurfr
05-10-2014, 20:03
Silvrsurfr tentative?

My son Shelf Life has a boatload (pun intended) of stuff going on with rowing (crew). I think I'll be able to attend this gathering, but unfortunately (or fortunately), his crew team has come together and seems to be rocketing up the charts and beating every team in the state. Every time they win, they move to the next round and row again. I really didn't expect him to have such astounding rowing success, but hey, stuff happens. His team consistently came in around 7th or 8th in the beginning of the season, but they're just on fire right now. It's hard to believe they could go from middle of the pack to kicking butt overnight. They've got the fastest time in the state by 12 seconds so they're suddenly the favorites. Go figure.

My wife has been shouldering much of the load taking him to his regattas, but this is potentially a four-day event. My wife and I have tentatively agreed that I will take him to Philly regattas Thursday and Friday, and she'll cover the Saturday and Sunday regattas, presented by Toyota.

http://www.stotesburycupregatta.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stotesbury_Cup

I just can't commit fully to the hang till I see how things pan out. If he's rowing for the state championship, I may have to bail on this hang.

So I'll be tentative right up till the last moment.

EDIT: Just realized this is a national regatta, not state. In fact, it is one of the biggest high school rowing competions in the US. So if my kid's boat gets past the semifinals, you probably ain't gonna see me!

Suede
05-10-2014, 20:16
My son Shelf Life has a boatload of stuff going on with rowing (crew). I think I'll be able to attend this gathering, but unfortunately (or fortunately), his crew team has come together and seems to be rocketing up the charts and beating every team in the state. Every time they win, they move to the next round and row again. I really didn't expect him to have such astounding rowing success, but hey, stuff happens. His team consistently came in around 7th or 8th in the beginning of the season, but they're just on fire right now.

My wife has been shouldering much of the load taking him to his regattas. I have to take him to Philly Thursday and Friday, and my wife is supposed to relieve me on Friday. I just can't commit fully till I see how things pan out. If he's swimming for the state championship, I may have to bail on this hang.

Totally understood and kids come first. Congrats to your son, but hope you can make it without any detriment to your sons success.

Syb
05-11-2014, 05:54
Silvr, that's great news about your son. It would be great to see you again however, I hope your son goes all the way.

Spreadsheet updated.

njredneck
05-11-2014, 06:11
My son Shelf Life has a boatload (pun intended) of stuff going on with rowing (crew). I think I'll be able to attend this gathering, but unfortunately (or fortunately), his crew team has come together and seems to be rocketing up the charts and beating every team in the state. Every time they win, they move to the next round and row again. I really didn't expect him to have such astounding rowing success, but hey, stuff happens. His team consistently came in around 7th or 8th in the beginning of the season, but they're just on fire right now. It's hard to believe they could go from middle of the pack to kicking butt overnight. They've got the fastest time in the state by 12 seconds so they're suddenly the favorites. Go figure.

My wife has been shouldering much of the load taking him to his regattas, but this is potentially a four-day event. My wife and I have tentatively agreed that I will take him to Philly regattas Thursday and Friday, and she'll cover the Saturday and Sunday regattas, presented by Toyota.

http://www.stotesburycupregatta.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stotesbury_Cup

I just can't commit fully to the hang till I see how things pan out. If he's rowing for the state championship, I may have to bail on this hang.

So I'll be tentative right up till the last moment.

EDIT: Just realized this is a national regatta, not state. In fact, it is one of the biggest high school rowing competions in the US. So if my kid's boat gets past the semifinals, you probably ain't gonna see me!

Good luck to the boy.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-11-2014, 07:55
Depending on the consensus here I might add on some Striper to the menu! I got my first ever keeper yesterday on the beach in Spring Lake! I'm going to be fishing pretty much all week long with my buddies on the beachfront so if I land another its definitely coming with. Not counting my eggs before they hatch, just being hopeful.

aircoder
05-11-2014, 09:41
Nice catch, Stripers are a ton of fun.

Ratdog
05-11-2014, 15:29
Nice catch, Stripers are a ton of fun.

Not to mention darn tasty. Soak them in some milk, it helps.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-11-2014, 18:57
I think you're confusing bluefish with the stripers I have in the pic. Speaking of fishing, my new Iphone5 took a dive into the Atlantic Ocean today while I was fishing and I was not diving into 15 feet of incoming tide to save it. That said my current phone number is not working until I get my phone replaced and I'll be in touch with you to cover final trip details either through here or from my home land line phone.

Not to mention darn tasty. Soak them in some milk, it helps.

Ratdog
05-11-2014, 19:14
I think you're confusing bluefish with the stripers I have in the pic. Speaking of fishing, my new Iphone5 took a dive into the Atlantic Ocean today while I was fishing and I was not diving into 15 feet of incoming tide to save it. That said my current phone number is not working until I get my phone replaced and I'll be in touch with you to cover final trip details either through here or from my home land line phone.

While generally used for bluefish because of their extra 'fishy' nature, it will take some of the oil out of any fish. I enjoy striper in a quick soak of milk followed by a soak in ginger ale or beer. Then again plain old oil and lemon works as well. Heck I'll eat bluefish straight up with some Portuguese bread. Used to live on the stuff all summer for years.

I'll be happy with any fish at all next weekend. Best of luck this week, sounds like the ocean owes you a little something.

njredneck
05-11-2014, 19:19
While generally used for bluefish because of their extra 'fishy' nature, it will take some of the oil out of any fish. I enjoy striper in a quick soak of milk followed by a soak in ginger ale or beer. Then again plain old oil and lemon works as well. Heck I'll eat bluefish straight up with some Portuguese bread. Used to live on the stuff all summer for years.

I'll be happy with any fish at all next weekend. Best of luck this week, sounds like the ocean owes you a little something.

Does this mean we need to bring in some milk to soak our catch in Saturday?:D

Suede
05-11-2014, 20:10
Does this mean we need to bring in some milk to soak our catch in Saturday?:D

I have some dehydrated milk I can throw in my pack.

I never heard about soaking in milk. RD, looking forward to learning more about fish prep techniques from you. Of course that means we have to catch some and I will be surprised if we don't. My knowledge in that area is very limited to basic cleaning - I used to know how to fillet a fish but it's been years since I've done that.

Suede
05-11-2014, 20:14
What about a tarp for common area? Anyone thinking about this if there's some rain in the forecast?

njredneck
05-11-2014, 20:19
What about a tarp for common area? Anyone thinking about this if there's some rain in the forecast?

I have a few blue tarps I can throw in the boat.

pinballwizard
05-11-2014, 20:42
I have some dehydrated milk I can throw in my pack.

first, about the milk. Since I am bringing my dutch oven, I am also bringing a cooler... Already at the party, I figure. I kinda want to hike myself, but if these items are being sherpaed over, no reason I can't bring a bit of fresh milk in the cooler as well.

About the tarp.... Yeah, I got us covered. 85659 8566085661

That ain't no 9 or 12, that's the 16, fellas

Suede
05-11-2014, 20:43
I have a few blue tarps I can throw in the boat.

Cool. I have a tarp that is about 10' x 18' I think I can bring if needed. I'll throw it in the car with some rope.

Suede
05-11-2014, 20:44
first, about the milk. Since I am bringing my dutch oven, I am also bringing a cooler... Already at the party, I figure. I kinda want to hike myself, but if these items are being sherpaed over, no reason I can't bring a bit of fresh milk in the cooler as well.

O yea that guy will work!

Jshep420
05-11-2014, 20:46

That's a great tarp for two. I want to get my wife in a hammock under the same tarp and that looks rite. Did u make it?

Suede
05-11-2014, 20:48

pinball if you are hiking in, do you want to consider meeting somewhere in the morning, early, to pass off your sherpage to me? Are you anywhere near this area or north of it? I forget where you live but it would be simpler if we could need and then I could bring it to camp with me. Don't know if it's doable.

pinballwizard
05-11-2014, 21:13
pinball if you are hiking in, do you want to consider meeting somewhere in the morning, early, to pass off your sherpage to me? Are you anywhere near this area or north of it? I forget where you live but it would be simpler if we could need and then I could bring it to camp with me. Don't know if it's doable.

This could work really well, thanks John. Let's PM each other our phone numbers and figure it out this week. I no longer have to go to that party I was going to, so my time frame has completely changed. I can get to RVR in the morning on Sat. However, I am not the butt crack of dawn kinda guy usually... But we will figure it out. I even noticed that Syb is going on Friday afternoon and a part of me is thinking of doing that, and then hiking back in the morning to meet you, and then paddle the big things back with you to the site.., But again, we will figure it out. All I know is it's gonna be a fun, and well fed weekend:thumbup1:

fallkniven
05-11-2014, 22:35
went to click on this and saw 20 pages. Holy moly that's a lot of prep talk. I'll be out here and let you guys finish :)

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/6/8/1/1/img_1567.jpg

aircoder
05-11-2014, 23:05
Im looking forward to seeing everyone's UQ's I've been using a pad for the past few years and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a UQ. So I'm pondering what I actually want to purchase.

Suede
05-12-2014, 06:03
went to click on this and saw 20 pages. Holy moly that's a lot of prep talk. I'll be out here and let you guys finish :)

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/6/8/1/1/img_1567.jpg

Hi Fallkniven. There is a sign-up sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnK2zgZCc6afdHZJNDBHdnBlY292ckdhSzAyZlNGd VE&usp=sharing#gid=0) if you are interested in the trip.

Ratdog
05-12-2014, 08:21
Hi Fallkniven. There is a sign-up sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnK2zgZCc6afdHZJNDBHdnBlY292ckdhSzAyZlNGd VE&usp=sharing#gid=0) if you are interested in the trip.

Nah, he just interested in cracking stones while he's out in the woods hauling that giant pack around. :lol:

Nephew is back from college & he's interested in this trip. So I'm up to a count of 2, tentative 3.
Will check spreadsheet for food, but it's looking like I should dial in on breakfast.

mrcheviot
05-12-2014, 18:29

Just catching up, this looks like a proper gathering but I'm going to be time constrained this weekend so am going to stick to a cliff note version of my original plans, will be lucky to get out for more than a few hours and I certainly need to shake off the trail rust. Stay dry!

fallkniven
05-12-2014, 20:04
hey, I can fend of wolves with that thing!

(Ill get a smaller summer bag one day :) )

pilsburythrowboy12
05-12-2014, 23:24
Nailed a 21 lb. Striper today and I've officially got WAY too much crap in the freezer now. I'd have a photo of it but as previously mentioned my phone found the temptation to swim the Atlantic too overwhelming the other day so ya'll are just gonna have to let your taste buds tell the tale. Can't wait to get out there!

Suede
05-13-2014, 08:08
Nailed a 21 lb. Striper today and I've officially got WAY too much crap in the freezer now. I'd have a photo of it but as previously mentioned my phone found the temptation to swim the Atlantic too overwhelming the other day so ya'll are just gonna have to let your taste buds tell the tale. Can't wait to get out there!

Congrats on the fish pilsbury! That must have been fun to land. However, is this going to hurt our fishing mojo pre-seeding our catch?

pilsburythrowboy12
05-13-2014, 09:39
Oh don't sweat the leveling of the juju with my fortunate catch. My $500 phone made that sacrifice for the good of all man kind a day earlier with its impromptu baptism dunking into 15 foot of raging tidal surf.

Congrats on the fish pilsbury! That must have been fun to land. However, is this going to hurt our fishing mojo pre-seeding our catch?

njredneck
05-13-2014, 17:02
Just got my new Dutch oven

Now just need to break it in.
I think I can fit all 4 racks of ribs into this one.:D

The Tree Frog
05-13-2014, 17:34
How many in this party so far?

The Tree Frog
05-13-2014, 17:38
Never mind. Just opened sign up sheet. Very cool.

njredneck
05-13-2014, 17:46
Never mind. Just opened sign up sheet. Very cool.

There should be plenty of room if you want to join in

Ratdog
05-13-2014, 18:11
My HS aged niece is in, she wants to fish and hang.
College age nephew is a definite maybe, some of his friends are possibles.
(He was the larger sherpa at the Mullica hang, asked if he had to haul a wagon to this one)

Post Prom activities have knocked the other sherpa out of the picture for this one.

Still checking on a few others.

Will double check food on spreadsheet and get shopping list together tomorrow.

njredneck
05-13-2014, 18:21
College age nephew is a definite maybe, some of his friends are possibles.
(He was the larger sherpa at the Mullica hang, asked if he had to haul a wagon to this one)

Only if he can figure out how to make it float.:lol:

And remind him no sausage before bed don't need a repeat of last time especially if he has a bugnet this time.

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2014, 18:26
What was the nephew's name? Ralph? Huey? I forget.

Ratdog
05-13-2014, 19:22
Cw and Max. Cw is the one who shouldn't chow before bed. Lol

Chris183
05-13-2014, 19:56
Sorry guys, we won't be making this one. We'll be at jenny jumps this weekend.

The Tree Frog
05-13-2014, 20:37
There should be plenty of room if you want to join in

I appreciate it. I want to join in but I have a surgery coming up next week. I can't carry a heavy pack or paddle. I can hike and camp. This would be my first with HF and I'm afraid it may earn me a new trail name!

njredneck
05-13-2014, 20:45
I appreciate it. I want to join in but I have a surgery coming up next week. I can't carry a heavy pack or paddle. I can hike and camp. This would be my first with HF and I'm afraid it may earn me a new trail name!

There will be other trips. Heal up and we will see you in the woods.

The Tree Frog
05-13-2014, 20:59
Thanks. Have a great time and post some pictures after. Should be nice weather Saturday and Sunday.

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2014, 21:35

I'm still not sure if I'm coming, but we could always sherpa your gear on a boat. This crowd (Ratdog) loves to sherpa gear.

Ratdog
05-13-2014, 21:38
I'm still not sure if I'm coming, but we could always sherpa your gear on a boat. This crowd (Ratdog) loves to sherpa gear.

Word.

If CW makes it, I probably should have him haul extra gear just on general principle.
Especially if his football buddies come along.

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2014, 21:49
Still waiting/working on logistics for regatta. Heavy rain forecasted so they might cancel the regatta. Crew team won again this weekend. Here they celebrate 1st place finish.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/vatuqepu.jpg

That's a handsome boy, my Shelf Life (in the middle). Takes after his dad!

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2014, 23:30
In all likelihood I won't show up till 2 or 3 pm. I was thinking about letting P47-Chowhound take my canoe but that leaves me having to hike to the campsite and not being able to enjoy my own canoe. I know a lot of you are showing up in the wee hours to fish, but if there's a late shift that wants to paddle to the campsite in the afternoon, let me know. I have room for three (including me).

Pedal
05-14-2014, 03:17
Sounds like fun and only an hour away. BUT, my VISA expired and I can't do a Washington and cross the Delaware. Have FUN.

Suede
05-14-2014, 08:39
That's a handsome boy, my Shelf Life (in the middle). Takes after his dad!

I see the family resemblance..

pinballwizard
05-14-2014, 08:48

Classic!!!!

camp43
05-14-2014, 10:22
This isn't too far from me. I'd like to try and make it out to this.

Ratdog
05-14-2014, 10:28
This isn't too far from me. I'd like to try and make it out to this.

Cool, you should.

camp43
05-14-2014, 10:37
The main questions are hike or canoe and tent or hammock.

Syb
05-14-2014, 10:54
The main questions are hike or canoe and tent or hammock.

Hike or canoe is up to you but the answer is always hammock.

camp43
05-14-2014, 11:20
The problem with hammock or tent is, last time I camped at Round Valley there were no good trees for hammmocking within the confines of the campsite I had.

Ratdog
05-14-2014, 11:34
The problem with hammock or tent is, last time I camped at Round Valley there were no good trees for hammmocking within the confines of the campsite I had.

You are quite right; however, NJRedneck and SilentOrpheus scouted the site a week or two ago. They settled on the group site selected because it would support a group hang. There was also a backup site scouted. If memory serves they were sites 5 and 7 respectively.

The hike was described as 3+ miles of moderate hiking I think. Paddling on the open water is subject to wind and can be a drag, especially since Round Valley does get some moving air. That said, we intend to hug the shoreline paddling out to the sites, hopefully it will be a nice day after the storm blows through Friday.

We will be hanging with the group and paddling to get there.

pinballwizard
05-14-2014, 11:46
I'm hoping to have this baby done by the time this trip starts. Syb has a backup underquilt if I don't work fast enough (or if this is inefficient :scared:) And most of the credit goes to Kristen (Playitbetter) 85785 85786

The Tree Frog
05-14-2014, 21:39

You guys are great. Thanks but I think I convinced my son to invite some friends and we may head over to Batona Camp or Pakim Pond or Goshen. Somewhere I can drive in. We will see. Thanks again.

SilvrSurfr
05-14-2014, 21:52

That's classic.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-14-2014, 21:54
I don't know how much of this I'm gonna have left after my mother stakes her claim but hopefully it off sets any skunking we may encounter! Weighing in at 20.5 lbs, this is the biggest Striper is the biggest I've ever successfully landed in the surf.

SilvrSurfr
05-14-2014, 22:09
I don't know how much of this I'm gonna have left after my mother stakes her claim but hopefully it off sets any skunking we may encounter! Weighing in at 20.5 lbs, this is the biggest Striper is the biggest I've ever successfully landed in the surf.

I see a family resemblance!:lol: Is that your long-lost brother?

Chris183
05-14-2014, 23:04
*long sigh*

ok fellas, the plans we had are probably gonna fall through for this weekend so we may hike in! Which campsites will you fellers be at?

pinballwizard
05-14-2014, 23:09
*long sigh*

ok fellas, the plans we had are probably gonna fall through for this weekend so we may hike in!

There ya go! Quick, sign up on the sign up sheet before all the good slots are taken:lol:

Chris183
05-14-2014, 23:17
ok. we're in!!

Chris183
05-14-2014, 23:20
The trip is lacking that international flavor - we need a designated foreigner. Where's Pretbek?

My wife and I are asian and originally born in Canada. Does that count?!

SilvrSurfr
05-14-2014, 23:37
My wife and I are asian and originally born in Canada. Does that count?!

Ya know, Asian-American sounds a lot better than Asian-Canadian. Rolls off the tongue a bit better.:lol:

Chris183
05-14-2014, 23:47
Ya know, Asian-American sounds a lot better than Asian-Canadian. Rolls off the tongue a bit better.:lol:

just call us canasians, 3 less syllables :lol:

SilvrSurfr
05-14-2014, 23:52
I'm off to Philly in a few hours. I'll leave Philly on Saturday around 10 am, get home about 11:30, pack, put canoe on car, and drive an hour to Round Valley. I'll probably be there about 2 or 3 pm. P-47 Chowhound has one spot in the boat so if anybody else wants a leisurely afternoon passage on the SS SilvrSurfr, speak up - there's one spot left.

I went to West Marine and bought another PFD so I have three.

njredneck
05-15-2014, 05:10
*long sigh*

ok fellas, the plans we had are probably gonna fall through for this weekend so we may hike in! Which campsites will you fellers be at?

We are in site 5

P-47ChowHound
05-15-2014, 05:39
This mornings weather and tomorrows force me to back out. I have some deadlines that must be met so I will be working this weekend.
SilvrSurfr, still plan to help you load canoe. Working in Little Silver so no problem swinging over.
Down side of being a contractor, weather changes everything.

Syb
05-15-2014, 08:07
My intent was to park at the lot and bike my way to our campsite using my tow-behind trailer to transport stuff. I just spoke with someone at the campground and apparently me sherpa-ing stuff in a tow-behind bike trailer isn't going to cut it since there are about 20 steps to climb. I can haul my bike up there but another 15-pound trailer full of stuff is out. I'm still going to bring my bike but the trailer will stay at home. I'll be arriving on Friday afternoon. Anyone else getting there on Friday?

As far as food goes, everyone good if I make a boatload of guacamole as a side dish for Saturday night's dinner? I can do a salad as well.

Chris183
05-15-2014, 08:48
chowhound that's the pits!

would you fellas be interested in chicken tikka marsala if we brought some?

mmmm guac

Suede
05-15-2014, 10:59
chowhound that's the pits!

would you fellas be interested in chicken tikka marsala if we brought some?

mmmm guac

I think any food contributions will be appreciated. Sounds good to me!