PDA

View Full Version : Florida hangouts?

molawns
06-28-2009, 23:46
Since I'm new and don't feel up to searching through pages and pages of topics here, I figured I'd start this thread.

Are there ever any Florida hangouts scheduled? :confused: If not, does anybody have an interest?

I'm thinking some time in the fall might be nice. I've been camping all my life, but I can be honest and say I'd probably be miserable trying to camp this time of year (extreme heat, humidity, bugs), so waiting until fall seems best.

How about the Ocala National Forest? It seems to be the best, centrally located place for a campout. Maybe another spot would work better?

I know in my short time here, I've already seen folks from FL. I know there's some kayakers/canoers, too. How's a weekend "paddle and swing" sound to anyone? ;) (no, not that kind of paddle and swing! :p) What about the Santa Fe or Suwannee Rivers?

I'm in Sarasota, south of Tampa. A local trip closer to home would be good, if there's others in the area, too.

Just throwing out the option...if there's an interest, post up! (even if you can't commit to anything solid right now)

NorseAmerican
07-01-2009, 06:41
T-Back was talking about one a ways back http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8683
but it does not seem to have gone anywhere. I would be interested, though not until it cools a bit. Maybe Oct-Nov. would be good. I live in Palm City on the east coast.
NA

Sophie
07-02-2009, 01:01
If you check out meetup.com, I am an assistant organizer for the Florida Outdoor Camping and Kayaking (FOCK) group, based in Palmetto. We are actually doing a camping trip to watch the shuttle launch on 11 July. Only 2 of us are hammockers, but as there are only 3 trees on the island that works :) Once the weather cools off we will be planning more trips too. Did the Suwannee for memorial day. I am always up for more camping though so let me know if you wanna put something together and I'll be there if I can!

NorseAmerican
07-02-2009, 07:29
Great!, I will save this thread for when I return from my LT trip.

DrewNC2005
10-05-2009, 19:12
I'd be interested in a FL hangout. I just got a WBBB and need an excuse to put down the books. I'm in Gainesville for a year and would like to get out at some point and see what the area has to offer. I'm used to the NC/VA mountains so I'm a little biased, but would love to get out and try the new hammock.

Any plans?

Duffy
10-06-2009, 02:25
I would be game for a hang in FLA. I will be doing a few overnights this "winter" on the FT, and will post when and where if anyone is interested in joining up with me.

Kayakado
10-06-2009, 12:04
I am in NE FL. I wouldn't mind a paddle and hang along the Suwanee or Oklawaha (say Silver River to the first Lock). Cumberland Island is a good place to go too, but fairly far from being a central area. I'd also like to paddle and hang at Sapelo Island, GA.

A group of us camp at Cumberland once per year and every year someone ditches their tent for a hammock. We are up to 6 or so hangers and we are running out of trees in the group site!

ottybuddy
12-15-2009, 19:36
From Middleburg fl. trying to find more hangers know of 2 here in Middleburg. Keep in touch need to find a way to do a group hang in Fl. like they do up north.

Caveman85
01-08-2010, 00:24
Im in good old J-ville and a few friends and myself are trying to go camping at least once a month...I will post dates and places to see if anyone is interested. I may also do quick little one nighters just to get out and away from the civilized man...but those trips will be with in a few days notice

ottybuddy
01-11-2010, 19:35
Well it looks some want to hang just need one to take the lead

Hikingbear
01-13-2010, 19:32
I am another Floridian looking to hang. I am new to the hammock world so would love to get out and try it and learn from you all.

sandykayak
01-15-2010, 20:34
And I'm way down south in Miami! and still working.

Duffy
01-15-2010, 23:27
There will be at least one hammocker on this get together--me! Y'all are invited.....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57217

Duffy
01-18-2010, 08:20
Florida Trail WB Get Together and Bigfoot Vigil

Where: Iron Bridge Shelter one and one half miles down FT
in Etoniah Creek State Forest
Off Holloway Road off Highway 100
(NFLA)

When: Jan 29, 30 and 31st

What: Overnite backpack camping/hanging out at Iron Bridge Shelter.

Would love to have more hammockers show up.

- Duffy

Grinder
01-24-2010, 08:42
I'm in. I'll get there Friday afternoon.

Any pot luck food plans/ideas???

Duffy
01-24-2010, 10:30
I'm in. I'll get there Friday afternoon.

Any pot luck food plans/ideas???

Looks like I will be there Saturday noonish. I've heard of no pot luck plan as yet. Open to suggestion!!!

Duffy
01-26-2010, 08:34
Bump!

Florida Trail WB Get Together and Bigfoot Vigil

Where: Iron Bridge Shelter one and one half miles down FT
in Etoniah Creek State Forest
Off Holloway Road off Highway 100
(NFLA)

When: Jan 29, 30 and 31st

What: Overnite backpack camping/hanging out at Iron Bridge Shelter.

Would love to have more hammockers show up.

- Duffy

SwampHanger
06-07-2011, 18:41
Is there anything planned for this year?

Timberrr
06-07-2011, 20:31
Gumbo & I spent three days kayaking the Santa Fe over Memorial day weekend. It was awesome! Believe it or not - no bugs! Okay... well almost no bugs. :D
We also organized a hang at the Canaveral National Seashore that was pretty cool too. That was in March. You definitely don't want to go there until October or you'll find out why it's called Mosquito Lagoon! :scared:
Islander and Flackfizer (et al) organized a Florida hang last January at Buck Lake in Ocala. That was a pretty awesome event too. You should have seen the food!
I'm sure all of these will be repeated - just stay posted. Or organize something and see who signs up. If scheduling allows Gumbo & I will be there fer sure!
:):)

Swamp_Stomper
06-07-2011, 23:28
Starting in Oct. I will be hiking and Hanging in and around the Big Cypress area. My group will have at least one 30 mile hike that will include portions of the Fisheating Creek area. We also have a 4 day hike that we call "The across the preserve hike". It starts out in Bear Island crosses the Big Cypress and ends at the interceptor Canal.