PDA

View Full Version : AZ>Arizona group hang

waterguytony
04-30-2014, 23:11
I am looking to put together an Arizona group hang.. I would just at this point like to see who would be interested and what would be the best weekend.. This would be a month or more out to allow everyone to plan accordingly. Please also list if you would like to have a location where you can car camp or hike in.

Caveman
05-02-2014, 06:39
Do they have trees in Arizona? :)

Hope you get some interested folks. Group hangs are cool.

rgoettl
05-02-2014, 10:26
We could always hang between two cacti. :laugh:

I would be interested. Just depends on date and location.

Camomeleon
05-03-2014, 22:54
I am GAME!!!! let me know when. Have any ideas where?

waterguytony
05-04-2014, 21:13
I was thinking somewhere up in flagstaff area, open to locations in that area. Time to enjoy some nice cool weather as in a month or so it will be hot here in Phoenix.

Nojope
05-05-2014, 13:45
I'm interested! I'd prefer a car camping adventure, or less than a couple miles of hiking. Any weekend in June should work for me.

jasen4_30
05-05-2014, 18:46
I would be interested depending on when and where.

clean
05-08-2014, 21:25
My son and I are definitely down for a hang. We are busy from about June 15 - July 15 so I hope it ends up being before or after those dates!

rotorwash
05-08-2014, 23:30
I'd be in for sure, getting gear together but I could probably do hike or car. Dates I'd be available would be 5/30-6/5.....6/13-6/18.....6/27-7/2.......7/11-7/16........ Basically every other week following the trend above

voyager01
06-01-2014, 02:00
My Son And I Would Be Up For A Group Hang In july

Gnome77
06-01-2014, 08:59
Slice and I are always interested in getting "Out There". Haven't been out for a couple weeks. This was camp on the Cabin Loop. Do not know why it uploaded upside down, I'm sure I was standing right side up, but there was Rum present.

FJRpilot
06-01-2014, 10:02
I'd be interested in joining everyone. I'm a bit further away but I come to Az all of the time so driving a bit further is no big deal. Has anyone thought about up on the rim?

clean
06-01-2014, 10:33
+1 on the cabin loop. We are down for hiking or car camping.

TessdaTerrible
06-21-2014, 17:50
I'm interested depending on when/where. I'm very new and possibly won't have all the gear for a colder night.

grannypat
06-22-2014, 17:01
I'm interested depending on when/where. I'm very new and possibly won't have all the gear for a colder night.

Some newbies have attended in tents so they could check out gear before they buy something. Sometimes a missing piece of gear can be loaned by a fellow attendee. When car camping, I always bring extra stuff; not so much if I have to carry it in my backpack.:)

songdog
06-24-2014, 12:56
I'm interested in a group hang. I like the Flagstaff idea or the Mogollon Rim works too. Sycamore Rim Loop south of Williams, AZ is always good for those who would enjoy some scenic hiking and plenty of spots in the pine forests for dispersed camping...combining short adventures and convenience of car camping. I'll do backpacking or car camping. Anytime late July and on..........

I hope this hang is still in the works. It would be nice to meet some fellow AZ hangers!

FJRpilot
06-24-2014, 19:01
I'm interested in a group hang. I like the Flagstaff idea or the Mogollon Rim works too. Sycamore Rim Loop south of Williams, AZ is always good for those who would enjoy some scenic hiking and plenty of spots in the pine forests for dispersed camping...combining short adventures and convenience of car camping. I'll do backpacking or car camping. Anytime late July and on..........

I hope this hang is still in the works. It would be nice to meet some fellow AZ hangers!

So i can attend 2nd week of August on... Last week of July and first week of August are booked.... Btw, September would be a great time. After the Labor Day holiday...

songdog
06-25-2014, 08:24
I agree! Sept. would be superb!

clean
06-25-2014, 08:26
September is great for me except the weekend of Sep 13-14. Backpacking or car camping is fine.

FJRpilot
06-25-2014, 09:26
So what does everyone think of Sept 19-21? If folks agree we can start planning. Also, locations? I'm only familiar with the eastern part of the state around PineTop or Showlow.... I'm open to any location. What does the group prefer?

songdog
06-25-2014, 09:38
Count me in for the weekend of Sept. 19-21. Any location is fine with me...PineTop, Showlow, Mogollon Rim, Flagstaff.....all good locations!

clean
06-25-2014, 10:28
That's a good weekend for me. I'm open to wherever, the a White Mountains are fine but I prefer the rim farther west like over by West Clear Creek or the Cabin Loop or up by Flagstaff.

I won't be able to leave Phienix until 5.30 on Friday.

songdog
06-25-2014, 11:16
Cabin Loop looks interesting. I've never hiked that one.

Trailhead (TH): The Rim Road FR 300, off SR 87, south of Clint's Well.
Length: 4 to 7 miles.
Rating: All moderate.
Highlights: Tall forest, grasslands, canyons, springs and perennial water sources.
Elevation: Over 6,500 feet.
Season: April - Nov.

clean
06-25-2014, 11:16
It's really pretty.

songdog
06-25-2014, 11:36
OK...my vote is Cabin Loop. Should be a great place for a group hang! And those cool Sept. nights might be a good opportunity to take my new HG 20° Incubator out for a test spin.

Dark Sky Solutions
06-25-2014, 11:42
I might be down for a hang then. It all depends on my schedule. I thought retirement was suppose to be a slower way of life.

Live in Flagstaff so the closer to Flagstaff the better for me, lol.

FJRpilot
06-25-2014, 15:49
Cabin Loop looks interesting. I've never hiked that one.

Trailhead (TH): The Rim Road FR 300, off SR 87, south of Clint's Well.
Length: 4 to 7 miles.
Rating: All moderate.
Highlights: Tall forest, grasslands, canyons, springs and perennial water sources.
Elevation: Over 6,500 feet.
Season: April - Nov.

So what type of camping is available, how about access, for those that want to drive to the camp site, will that be an option? How about facilities (rest rooms, showers, fresh water, etc.)? I'm down with Hiking the trail, but if this is going to be a "Group Hang", we need to accommodate those that are not hardcore hikers\campers.

songdog
06-26-2014, 15:30
Someone with more knowledge of the area will have to chime in on the camping facilities. From looking online it appears there are several primitive campgrounds (vault toilets, no water) scattered along the Rim. Most require reservations. I'm not a campground kind of person so I've never visited any of them. Woods Canyon Group campground and Knoll Lake campground might be good candidates. Both are accessible by car and I hear the fishing is good.

I'm not sure what kind of campgrounds are around Flagstaff. Anyone have any suggestions?

lchavez
06-27-2014, 21:31
I am also in.

maddtom
06-28-2014, 14:32
OK...my vote is Cabin Loop. Should be a great place for a group hang! And those cool Sept. nights might be a good opportunity to take my new HG 20° Incubator out for a test spin.

Got some Cabin Loop GPS coords for us outoftowners? Never mind. I located. I would be down for this trek.

songdog
06-29-2014, 10:04
I am looking to put together an Arizona group hang.. I would just at this point like to see who would be interested and what would be the best weekend.. This would be a month or more out to allow everyone to plan accordingly. Please also list if you would like to have a location where you can car camp or hike in.

So waterguytony, are you still interested in doing this group hang? As you can see there are several of us interested and a date has been tentatively picked. The Mogollon Rim seems to be a good central location for everyone and the cabin loop trail has been suggested as a good hiking possibility. We need some help choosing a campsite for the group. FJRpilot has posed some good questions about facilities for those in the group who are not hard core hikers/campers. With that in mind I would be willing to do some reconnaissance in the area later in July, unless someone who is familiar with the area can suggest a spot that would accommodate a group. Let us know and I'll help in any way I can to get the ball rolling.

FJRpilot
06-29-2014, 12:09
So waterguytony, are you still interested in doing this group hang? Let us know and I'll help in any way I can to get the ball rolling.

Let me know how I can help... Once we have a camp site identified, we may want to publish an official group hang thread...

clean
06-29-2014, 15:34
Here's my suggestion if we are doing this as a car-hang: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=17805 you can drive to within 1/4 mile of the location, which is beautiful.

You can read my triplog at: http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&UID=60326

And if anyone wants to hike in (I probably will) there are multiple ways to do that as well.

I'm out of town, on mobile... Sorry so brief.

FJRpilot
06-30-2014, 15:25
Here's my suggestion if we are doing this as a car-hang: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=17805 you can drive to within 1/4 mile of the location, which is beautiful.

You can read my triplog at: http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&UID=60326

And if anyone wants to hike in (I probably will) there are multiple ways to do that as well.

I'm out of town, on mobile... Sorry so brief.

How many miles of Dirt roads to get to the camp site?

FJRpilot
07-01-2014, 11:11
So I'm going to throw one more site into the pot for consideration....

Canyon Point Campground 34° 19' 20.04"N 110° 49' 30.11"W

5 miles east of Willow Springs Lake, Canyon Point offers electric hookups, trailers up to 75 feet, showers with flush toilets, group sites, quad sites, a dump station, overflow parking and an amphitheater for interpretative programs. A general store is only two miles east at Forest Lakes. Canyon Point makes a great base camp for extended camping trips and to explore the rim area. Temperatures during spring and fall can be rather cold so be prepared. Showers are per use and run $5.00

Boating and fishing is available at many areas along the rim, the closest being Willow Springs 5 miles west and Woods Canyon 10 miles west. Trails lead to sinkhole and the edge of the Mogollon Rim above the Canyon Creek Fish Hatchery. The Rim Visitors Information Center is located at the junction of the S. R. 260 and Rim Road.

I know that this is not as "remote" a site, but it might be a little easier to get to for the less experienced among us. This should be really convenient for car camping and for those that need a little more amenity's their first time out.

clean
07-01-2014, 11:18
How many miles of Dirt roads to get to the camp site?

It's maybe 20-25 minute drive on dirt from the turnoff near the Blue Ridge Lake. My Subaru handled it easily and I would not hesitate to drive my wife's minivan up there. The last few hundred yards had a mud hole that was a little tight to get around but one could park and walk literally three minutes farther.

I'm ok with a change of venue if that is what people want but this area is super-nice.

songdog
07-01-2014, 16:52
So I'm going to throw one more site into the pot for consideration....

Canyon Point Campground 34° 19' 20.04"N 110° 49' 30.11"W

5 miles east of Willow Springs Lake, Canyon Point offers electric hookups, trailers up to 75 feet, showers with flush toilets, group sites, quad sites, a dump station, overflow parking and an amphitheater for interpretative programs. A general store is only two miles east at Forest Lakes. Canyon Point makes a great base camp for extended camping trips and to explore the rim area. Temperatures during spring and fall can be rather cold so be prepared. Showers are per use and run $5.00

Boating and fishing is available at many areas along the rim, the closest being Willow Springs 5 miles west and Woods Canyon 10 miles west. Trails lead to sinkhole and the edge of the Mogollon Rim above the Canyon Creek Fish Hatchery. The Rim Visitors Information Center is located at the junction of the S. R. 260 and Rim Road.

I know that this is not as "remote" a site, but it might be a little easier to get to for the less experienced among us. This should be really convenient for car camping and for those that need a little more amenity's their first time out.

I checked the prices for Canyon Point and they are as follows:

$65/night – mini group (4 cars – 16 people)
$155/night – small group (6 cars – 25 people)
$205/night – large group (12 cars – 55 people)
$20 per night per extra vehicle!
I’m going to venture a guess and say we will have almost as many cars as people since we are coming from all directions and car pooling probably isn’t an option. Ah, the price of convenience!
One thing that bothers me about the campground scenario is you never know how the camp host is going to react to a bunch of folks stringing their hammocks from the trees. Some you can reason with, some you can’t.

TessdaTerrible
07-01-2014, 17:33
I checked the prices for Canyon Point and they are as follows:

$65/night – mini group (4 cars – 16 people)
$155/night – small group (6 cars – 25 people)
$205/night – large group (12 cars – 55 people)
$20 per night per extra vehicle!
I’m going to venture a guess and say we will have almost as many cars as people since we are coming from all directions and car pooling probably isn’t an option. Ah, the price of convenience!
One thing that bothers me about the campground scenario is you never know how the camp host is going to react to a bunch of folks stringing their hammocks from the trees. Some you can reason with, some you can’t.

Well do we have anyone with recent experience in this ground? I could see possibly meeting nearby and pooling that way for some of us coming from other ideas to minimize cars if we go this route.

Staying at the hosted camp means pitching together cash wise(or a generous hang host?) but is less likely to scare off someone who's unsure of hiking in or people with kids. It also gives us the option of having people come to hang in the day and not do an overnight.

clean
07-01-2014, 17:53
Can we do a roll call? Please indicate if your interest is:

Hiking: hiking a couple miles is ok.

Walk-in: walking less than 5 minutes from car is ok.

Car-camping: I want my car right by the campsite.

clean
07-01-2014, 17:54
I will attend with my 11-year old son. We are good with hiking, walk-in or car-camping.

songdog
07-01-2014, 18:29
I'm attending solo.........I'm good with hiking, walk-in or car camping.

TessdaTerrible
07-01-2014, 18:48
I'm tentativly attending +1 partner in crime who is a ground-dweller.

I'm okay with any options(Hike, walk-in, car camp), though rough terrain is going to be a killer since we're in a lower car.

FJRpilot
07-01-2014, 18:48
I will attend, any of the three options work for me as well...

rgoettl
07-01-2014, 23:27
My 9 yr old son and I would love to go. I'll just have to see when we get closer. We are good for walking in or car camping.

Nojope
07-02-2014, 10:02
Can we do a roll call? Please indicate if your interest is:

Hiking: hiking a couple miles is ok.

Walk-in: walking less than 5 minutes from car is ok.

Car-camping: I want my car right by the campsite.

I'm fine with all of these options, as long as the hiking really is just a couple miles and not more like 5 miles.

FJRpilot
07-02-2014, 10:32
List of likely attendees (10 so far)...

HF Member # Attendees
Clean 2
Songdog 1
Tessdeterriable 2
FJRpilot 2
rgoettl 2
nojope 1

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 18:51
There is a spot by Dane Cabin/Spring by the Cabin Loop that people Car Camp at. Forest road 321, 7miles off of Rim Road 300.Large Flat area with plenty of Trees, no Water, toilets,electricity,cable,Circle K, but it really Nice and Peaceful. Couple hundred yards big, kinda a parking lot camp area. Some can lounge at camp or hike the loop, plenty of springs in the area.

TessdaTerrible
07-02-2014, 18:54
There is a spot by Dane Cabin/Spring by the Cabin Loop that people Car Camp at. Forest road 321, 7miles off of Rim Road 300.Large Flat area with plenty of Trees, no Water, toilets,electricity,cable,Circle K, but it really Nice and Peaceful. Couple hundred yards big, kinda a parking lot camp area. Some can lounge at camp or hike the loop, plenty of springs in the area.

Do you know the camp name or the rates?

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 18:55
Coconino National Forest, it's Free

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 19:04
Go onto Hike Arizona site and look up the U-Bar Trail where it crosses Forest Road 321, 321E. That's the area referred to.

FJRpilot
07-02-2014, 19:20

Will you be joining us?

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 19:41
Slice and I are always interested if schedule allows

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 19:47
Here is a picture of the area. This is Slice

Gnome77
07-02-2014, 19:49
Dane Spring is about a hundred yards from where we are standing in this picture. We are next to the "Trail Wagon"where we parked.

clean
07-03-2014, 23:28
Ok, I am back at home and wanted to post pics from last year (8.24.2013) at the Aspen Springs location I mentioned. It is really pretty. It's got a historic cabin and a slowly running spring which is just out of frame to the right of this image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2529678/aspen_springs/panosm.jpg

The cabin is located in Houston Draw. This image is looking down the draw from roughly the location I shot the first photograph. This shows where we hung our hammocks. You can hang anywhere down the draw on either side of the meadow.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2529678/aspen_springs/downdrawsm.jpg

That said, the Dane Cabin looks great too. http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=100312

songdog
07-04-2014, 13:04
Nice pix, clean! Very pretty area. Now you've got me wanting to go do some backpacking up there. Looks like a lot of folks on the HAZ site have done the loop. Guess I need to start planning one!

The large flat area that Gnome77 posted looks like our best bet for a group hang. It might be the most accessible and like he said folks could just drive right up to the campsite, hang their hammocks and could either lounge around camp or do some hiking. I'm going to throw my vote in on this one, unless there are others that absolutely need a formal campground with amenities. In which case I'm cool with that too!

TessdaTerrible
07-04-2014, 13:06
Nice pix, clean! Very pretty area. Now you've got me wanting to go do some backpacking up there. Looks like a lot of folks on the HAZ site have done the loop. Guess I need to start planning one!

The large flat area that Gnome77 posted looks like our best bet for a group hang. It might be the most accessible and like he said folks could just drive right up to the campsite, hang their hammocks and could either lounge around camp or do some hiking. I'm going to throw my vote in on this one, unless there are others that absolutely need a formal campground with amenities. In which case I'm cool with that too!

I like the appearance of the site but I don't like the sound of the highway when camping. I'm torn.

songdog
07-04-2014, 14:09
I like the appearance of the site but I don't like the sound of the highway when camping. I'm torn.

321 isn't really a hyw. It's a forest service road (gravel) and I doubt that there will be much traffic on it.

arczeneb
07-04-2014, 14:37
Is there a place to hang with a lovely lake; fish, kayak, hike and hang with a group?

songdog
07-04-2014, 15:04
Is there a place to hang with a lovely lake; fish, kayak, hike and hang with a group?

Woods Canyon Lake and it has a large group campsite. http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites/PaysonCampsites/Woods%20Canyon%20Group.htm

clean
07-04-2014, 16:07
Gnome's site looks good to me.

FJRpilot
07-04-2014, 16:35
Woods Canyon Lake and it has a large group campsite. http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites/PaysonCampsites/Woods%20Canyon%20Group.htm

This actually a pretty nice camping area... I will go to any of the sites mentioned... Here are some photos of woods canyon lake..

These were not taken by me...

Gnome77
07-04-2014, 18:02
Aspen spring is a very good spot 1/2 mile hike or so plenty of room, the Dane site was suggested if the are car campers it is back in woods a ways. Woods Canyon probably will not alow a group to hang from trees , same at Willow Springs. Although you can park just passed the Willow Springs turn off and hike a 1/2 fishing trail to the south side of the lake. Slice and I have hung there at the Lake

arczeneb
07-04-2014, 18:55
Aspen campground hiking 8 trails and more.

http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites/PaysonCampsites/Aspen%20WC.htm

Sharp creek campground group sites. Need the amenities.

http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites/PaysonCampsites/Sharp%20Creek.htm

Some campgrounds might be closed due to bear activity.

clean
07-04-2014, 20:12
"Need the amenities"?

I've been to Sharp Creek. It's super-boring. We had no problem hanging there at the group campground.

I don't know the Aspen Campground you've linked to.

I'd be less interested in a hang at any of these campgrounds. Let's hit the woods.

lchavez
07-04-2014, 21:07
I am still in for 1 for hiking or car. Wouldn't mind car being semi close as this may be my first hang and I might overkill the pack in otherwise:)

Gnome77
07-05-2014, 10:01
I was referring to Aspen Spring on the Cabin Loop as Clean talked about. This is a nice area that not to far from the parking.

FJRpilot
07-05-2014, 10:24
I was referring to Aspen Spring on the Cabin Loop as Clean talked about. This is a nice area that not to far from the parking.

So let's narrow this down to a couple of locations Nd then get the folks interested to choose one. So unless I'm confused, we have two that have generated positive comments. The Dane site (Gnome77) and the Aspen Spring site (Clean). I'm down for either but would prefer the site with the least amount of hiking to get to it. I think its important to get a good turn out that we choose a site that the more casual campers can access fairly easily...

songdog
07-05-2014, 10:34
So let's narrow this down to a couple of locations Nd then get the folks interested to choose one. So unless I'm confused, we have two that have generated positive comments. The Dane site (Gnome77) and the Aspen Spring site (Clean). I'm down for either but would prefer the site with the least amount of hiking to get to it. I think its important to get a good turn out that we choose a site that the more casual campers can access fairly easily...

I vote for the Dane Spring site (Gnome77). I think it will be the most convenient for the casual campers and yet it puts us in a great area for some day hiking and exploring.

FJRpilot
07-05-2014, 10:48
I vote for the Dane Spring site (Gnome77). I think it will be the most convenient for the casual campers and yet it puts us in a great area for some day hiking and exploring.

I'm with you then songdog, if this is the most convenient it's got my vote as well... We can allways do a second hang at Aspen....😃

Gnome77
07-05-2014, 13:42
Ok to get to area turn off Hwy 87 on to Rim Rd 300 go east 18.7 mikes to Forest Road 321 go north 4 or so miles to a signed road(321e I think) the sign reads Dane Spring 1 mile to left (West). You will run into split
Rail fence on left this is area. A trail to the left of the area goes though a gait to Dane Springs just down the hill. The Spring is next to Dane Cabin on the U-Bar Trail #28

clean
07-05-2014, 14:01
Boy and I are in.

Dark Sky Solutions
07-06-2014, 01:58
Interested in hanging with you guys. My 10 yo boy would be coming as well I just have to clear out schedule and keep things off of it that weekend.

Fingers crossed

clean
07-06-2014, 09:15
Glad to hear more people (and kids!) are coming. I've included people that have said "maybe"

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
2 Gnome

songdog
07-06-2014, 15:28
Glad to hear more people (and kids!) are coming. I've included people that have said "maybe"

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
2 Gnome

14 folks! Looks like we have ourselves a group hang organized!!!! Sept.19th -21st. Car camp at the Dane Spring TH (U-Bar Trail #28) off of Forest Service Road 321 on the Mogollon Rim. FJRpilot, would like to post an official thread announcing this event?

arczeneb
07-06-2014, 15:51
I'm interested have 10 days off starting the weekend of August 29th. Once official post is made for September 19th I can change to meet this hang. I guess the fall colors should be showing mid September.
Plan is with a 5 hour plus drive knowing the location is arrive early mourning Thursday. Would like to do a day/overnight hang then return enjoy the group and do day hikes. Any thoughts on a potluck dinner Saturday?

songdog
07-07-2014, 09:55
Whoo Hoo! 15 and growing! The more the merrier! Glad to have you arczeneb! Potluck on Sat. sounds like a great idea to me. Is anyone good with spreadsheets? If we could get one posted for a list of food and maybe those who have extra camp equipment (like camp stoves or eezeups or folding camp tables, etc.) we could set up a little camp kitchen.

rotorwash
07-07-2014, 11:54
I'll be in for 2 me and the gf maybe dog

Gnome77
07-07-2014, 16:44
Just realized I had the GPS location for Camp Area
N 34*28.088'
W 111*08.832'

dejoha
07-07-2014, 19:08
Okay, if I could summarize, we are planning a group hang near Dane Spring, off Forest Road 321, following the U-Bar Trail #28 (http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=434), Friday–Sunday, September 19–21, 2014.

Count me in for Fri-Sat.

arczeneb
07-07-2014, 19:17
Whoo Hoo! 15 and growing! The more the merrier! Glad to have you arczeneb! Potluck on Sat. sounds like a great idea to me. Is anyone good with spreadsheets?.

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
2 Gnome
1 arczeneb salad w/ prosciutto/ asparagus etc.

Fairly simple when official post Potluck at say 1800 just prior to sunset on Saturday if you plan to provide and show your culinary skills by your name add?
As one updates attendance also the potluck this way it allows us to see what to bring.

Gnome77
07-07-2014, 19:59
If we are Car Hanging I can bring a Coffee Pot, duel burner Camp Chef with grill plate and Barbecue box. Maybe a Smoke sausage and potato dish

clean
07-07-2014, 20:18
I really hate to ask any questions and lengthen the thread but I am confused whether we are hanging near the cars or walking in. Can someone clarify please?

songdog
07-08-2014, 08:19
I really hate to ask any questions and lengthen the thread but I am confused whether we are hanging near the cars or walking in. Can someone clarify please?

I thought we had decided to hang near the cars. I plugged in Gnome's GPS coordinates on Google Earth and zoomed right in on the clearing with the zig-zag logs that indicate the parking area. If the road doesn't wash out from the monsoon rains then we should have no problem getting to it. It looks awesome from the satellite view on G/E. We shouldn't have any trouble finding enough trees to hang from.

Is hanging near the cars everyone's assumption? Or am I off base?

Dark Sky Solutions
07-08-2014, 09:09
I thought we had decided to hang near the cars. I plugged in Gnome's GPS coordinates on Google Earth and zoomed right in on the clearing with the zig-zag logs that indicate the parking area. If the road doesn't wash out from the monsoon rains then we should have no problem getting to it. It looks awesome from the satellite view on G/E. We shouldn't have any trouble finding enough trees to hang from.

Is hanging near the cars everyone's assumption? Or am I off base?

That was my assumption. If we are able to keep our calendars clear we can do either but near the cars was what I was assuming we where doing for this.

clean
07-08-2014, 09:34
Also, 16 people!

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
2 Gnome
1 Dejoha

arczeneb
07-08-2014, 10:03
Also my thought attendees, kids and dogs etc. close to cars. One would hike by day, do an overnight or head to the lake for fishing. Just hope the road is OK for my vehicle.

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
2 Gnome Smoke sausage and potato dish?
1 Dejoha

FJRpilot
07-08-2014, 10:15
Also my thought attendees, kids and dogs etc. close to cars. One would hike by day, do an overnight or head to the lake for fishing. Just hope the road is OK for my vehicle.

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
1 Dejoha

I think we are all on the same page.. Put me down to do a "Mountain Man Breakfast" for at least one of the days. Good excuse to breakout that Dutch Oven I haven't used in a while...

arczeneb
07-08-2014, 11:43
Question who is going to make the official post: directions, location information, attendees etc.

# HF Member
2 Clean
1 Songdog
2 Tessdeterriable
2 FJRpilot Mountain Man Breakfast
2 rgoettl
1 nojope
2 Dark Sky Solutions
1 Dejoha

clean
07-08-2014, 11:45
Go for it!

arczeneb
07-08-2014, 15:06
Official Hang posted.

Gnome77
07-08-2014, 16:15
Thought this was a Group Hang Post

rotorwash
07-09-2014, 00:35
I'm not on the list, I said I'd be in for 2

arczeneb
07-09-2014, 01:23
I'm not on the list, I said I'd be in for 2

Updated added 2

arczeneb
07-09-2014, 01:46
Thought this was a Group Hang Post

You are correct this post was an open discussion several were looking for an official group hang to set plans.

Tucson Tom
09-02-2014, 14:05
I thought retirement was suppose to be a slower way of life.

Who told you that? They were dead wrong. It certainly shouldn't be for someone with imagination
and a healthy body. As time runs out we gotta get busy!!

All this sounds interesting and I am eager to participate in a group event like this.
I may not make this one since I already have 2 very appealing invitations fighting for September,
AND I am down in Tucson, making this a significant journey. Any folks down south interested
in something down thisaway when Monsoons are over for sure? Any Tucson hangers interested
in getting together.

clean
09-02-2014, 14:42
I'm up in the valley but would be totally down for a Tucson hang!

songdog
09-02-2014, 15:49
I'm in Mesa, but I'd be interested in a Tucson hang too! I have a friend down there that I'm trying to coerce into to hammock camping. Maybe if we come up with a plan I could persuade him to give it a try. I just bought one of those Eno Double Nests that REI had on sale for a spare. Now he can't use the excuse that he doesn't have a hammock!

FJRpilot
09-02-2014, 18:38
So I'm from El Paso, but heck, Tucson is just a mornings drive... I'd be up for a hang there.... I'm also thinking of trying to setup a hang in the chiricahua's...

Tucson Tom
09-03-2014, 01:07
Chiricahuas would be cool -- I haven't been there in years (and midway to El Paso there is the Gila Wilderness). My first idea for a Tucson hang is up on Mt. Lemmon. I have eyeballed a spot on the map that I will have to scout this weekend if possible. My thoughts would be not car camping, but a short hike (maybe a half mile at most) from a parking area. I've never attended a hang, never mind organized one, but I suppose it would be as simple as two or more of us agreeing on a time and place, then making it known to others who might want to join in. I'm also scratching my head trying to think of places that would be equally accessible to both Tucson and the Phoenix area. I've never been up in the Mazatzals, any possibilities there?

clean
09-03-2014, 01:11
It's not that far. We went to Tucson and back to take a photograph on Saturday and we were back in 5.5 hours including the consumption of several (excellent) Sonoran hot dogs.

songdog
09-03-2014, 08:38
So I'm from El Paso, but heck, Tucson is just a mornings drive... I'd be up for a hang there.... I'm also thinking of trying to setup a hang in the chiricahua's...

I've been wanting to do the Chiricahuas for a long time. You can definitely put me down for that one!

clean
09-03-2014, 08:38
Ya put me in that list too

troy.braun1
09-16-2014, 17:40
I would love to participate in a group hang. I'm very new to this and it would be great to talk with other and see what they've done.

jasen4_30
09-17-2014, 14:47
I would like to participate in the group hang, either Tucson or the Chiricahuas. There's also Madera Canyon which offers a climb up Mt. Wrightson for those up for it.

rotorwash
09-18-2014, 02:39
I spend a lot of time between PHX and sierra vista working so schedule permitting or enough time notice and I'm in

lchavez
10-16-2014, 09:21
Any update on this hang?

songdog
10-17-2014, 08:45
Although I would love to do a hang around Tucson or the Chiricahuas, unfortunately, I'm still working 10 hrs/day, 7 days/week. Anything fun is not in my immediate future. But another round of layoffs is coming mid-Nov. so I might be available by then. :)

Anthony1987
11-05-2014, 21:24
Wife and I just ordered ours today. We love camping in Heber area. I've nevered camped in flag always go payson or Heber because of hunting I know it.

IndyFace
11-08-2014, 11:21
i wont be a resident of arizona until april but if this goes down anytime after that, or if it becomes a regular thing, i'm game!!

lchavez
11-22-2014, 21:05
I'm in when this happens.

waterguytony
11-29-2014, 16:57
Sorry folks for vanishing like that.. Got in a motorcycle accident and one thing turned into another.. Gotta love red light runners.. I am healed enough to camp but I cannot hike on my broken foot for prob another 6-8 months..

Anthony1987
11-29-2014, 18:52
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are doing ok. Feel your pain. On that kinda stop sign runner 3 years ago. Hope leg heals good

troy.braun1
11-29-2014, 18:58
Hope the healing continues!

bradray
12-08-2014, 04:50
I would be interested in a group hang. I'm in Gilbert AZ, but I could do Flagstaff, Payson/Heber, or Tucson. I might have a couple of boys with me depending on the weekend (currently aged 12 and 14). I camp once a month with the Boy Scouts, so many of the weekends I'm already committed. Put me down as a maybe for future hangs.

Waterguytony, I hope you recover OK.