PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Paddle Mullica River Sat 5/3? Water levels are rising!

SilvrSurfr
04-30-2014, 23:48
So who wants to go paddling on Saturday? Been watching the water-level monitors all day on the Mullica River and I got this irresistable urge to paddle. Maybe paddle with a raft of pallets behind my canoe. Looks like the Pine Barrens got 2 to 6 inches of rain - sounds like a ton of fun. I got two seats in my canoe available but just need someone else with a car to shuttle.

http://river-depth.com/graphs/01409400?period=1

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r=nj&id=ww_current

Peak stage right now at 2.14, discharge per second went from 105 to 185, the waterflow is 65% above normal for this time of year (over the last 55 years). And the water is rising. The forecast is to crest at 2.2 ft. but I think 3 is within our reach. I'll bet we got six inches of rain here on the Jersey Shore, so the Pine Barrens got pounded.

The forecast is sunshine! I gotta work Friday night, and walk the dog and such on Saturday, so I can't arrive till probably 3 pm. at Atsion. There are campsites available at Mullica River if we book soon.

The Mullica is plenty deep for the most part, and when I paddled it last week peak stage was 105 and paddling was fine. We saw three actual waterfalls on the lower half. Very cool.

SilvrSurfr
05-01-2014, 16:33
Dang, peak stage is at 3.39 and rising - forecasted to rise to 3.48, the highest the Mullica has been since 5/29/11. Lotta water out there folks.

SilvrSurfr
05-01-2014, 22:12
This river won't stop rising! It's now at 3.61. This water level doesn't happen all that often. It's the highest it's been in the last 365 days.

Nobody wants to paddle? I got a spare paddle and seat in my boat. Just need someone with a car to help with a shuttle. Ah well, I won't have to listen to the wife about me going out too much!

Ratdog
05-01-2014, 23:26
We were pounded here, flooded out and still are to some extent.
Can't get anyone to hit UPENN w/ me to check out Dr Hawass but may still be dealing w/ flood related issues Sat.

Will see how it looks tomorrow.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 00:57
I got my fishing license!

aircoder
05-02-2014, 09:45
Im hanging at Batona on saturday night but i can't make it out there until about 3pm due to work, so I'm doing a quick get away.

Ratdog
05-02-2014, 17:02
Ok, the lecture was sold out by the time I went to buy tickets.
Only other thing happening in town is a World Record Pub Crawl and those days are behind me.

Plenty of sites still open.
Still feeling it?

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 18:33
Ok, the lecture was sold out by the time I went to buy tickets.
Only other thing happening in town is a World Record Pub Crawl and those days are behind me.

Plenty of sites still open.
Still feeling it?

Heck yeah, I'm feeling it! The Mullica River's up to 4.15 feet. We could have rapids! Did you know there are actual waterfalls on the Lower Mullica? Nothing more than a couple of feet but I was surprised to see two or three last week. I'm excited to paddle the river at these levels 'cause they don't come along often.

1. Your canoe or mine?
2. Is 2:30 arrival time okay? Get the permit from Atsion then shuttle a car to Batsto Village. Should be on the river by 4 at the latest.
3. Dehydrated or real food?
4. Is the fire ban lifted? I have some firewood I bought last week before I knew there was a fire ban.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 18:37
Last week it took us 4 hours to paddle to Mullica River camp and about 2.5 hours from Mullica River camp to the pull-out near Batsto Village. I imagine the current and high water levels will drastically reduce those paddle times (well, except for the part where the river overflows its banks and getting lost in some backwater is a possibility).

Ratdog
05-02-2014, 18:41
I know there are waterfalls, lucky enough to see a few. Especially after a rain like this. I am trying to recruit a couple folks now. Probably food in a bag was my thinking. I'm sure there's no fire ban.

Was thinking about paddling solo but let me see if I can talk anyone into coming.

aircoder
05-02-2014, 18:46
Never paddled before would be interested in give it a try if you have a extra spot next time and I'm not tied up with work.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 18:59
I could probably paddle my Old Town Discovery solo, if you wanted to take two boats. I've never done it, but I do have that attachable center seat, and I can bring a cooler as a backup seat in case the center seat fails (it's old).

Ratdog
05-02-2014, 19:11
I'm talking to two people now. Molded seats make it more interesting, with can seats you just sit in the front seat facing the wrong way.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 19:23
I'm talking to two people now. Molded seats make it more interesting, with can seats you just sit in the front seat facing the wrong way.

What's a can seat?

Ratdog
05-02-2014, 19:24
Cane seat... Freaking autocorrect

The Tree Frog
05-02-2014, 19:52
Sounds like a good time. Can't make it but good luck in the rapids!

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 20:54
Probably food in a bag was my thinking.

You mean dehydrated? Glad I chose dehydrated (Pack-it Gourmet) last week. After four hours of paddling my son Vanilla Pudge was ravenous and needed instant gratification. Nothing quicker than dehydrated to get food in the belly!

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 20:56
Never paddled before would be interested in give it a try if you have a extra spot next time and I'm not tied up with work.

I'm sure we could probably get you a seat in a canoe on some future trip. Last trip down the Batsto we had eight people in three boats. Two of us owned canoes and one canoe was borrowed. Beats the heck out of renting!

pilsburythrowboy12
05-02-2014, 20:57
You guys got room for a last second add on?

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 21:00
Should I reserve site 2? If we wait till tomorrow we can't reserve online. That's actually cheaper than online reserving but walk-ins could snatch up all the good hammocking sites.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 21:01
You guys got room for a last second add on?

I believe we do - just waiting on Ratdog to confirm his head count. If you hadn't noticed, this whole trip is last second!

You have a car, I assume? If that's the case, then the trip is a go regardless of Ratdog. We just need two cars so we can put one at the put-in and one at the pullout.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-02-2014, 21:17
Just pm'd you, gimme a call when you get a second.

I believe we do - just waiting on Ratdog to confirm his head count. If you hadn't noticed, this whole trip is last second!

You have a car, I assume? If that's the case, then the trip is a go regardless of Ratdog. We just need two cars so we can put one at the put-in and one at the pullout.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 22:00
Just talked to pilsburythrowboy12 - he's turkey hunting up north around Hamilton Square off 195 till noon. It'll take him 45 minutes to get to Atsion. I'll try to arrive by 1:30 pm (but I make no promises; I could be as late as 2:30 in which case pilsburythrowboy12 can tour Atsion Lake to pass the time). Since he's got a car and I have a car we can do our own shuttle to Batsto Village.

Is that meetup time okay with you Ratdog? You are the master logistician so I accede to your superior logistical ability. If you're coming later, do you mind if we start paddling without you?

I could fit another in my boat if necessary.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 22:33
River peaked at 4.16 feet (flood stage is 5 ft.). We're now down to 4.11 feet - still plenty of water for an exhilarating paddle!

I just booked site 2, right by the water pump, for two people - we can add more when we pickup the camping permit. This site will hold probably four or five hammocks. Probably should have booked site 4, but site 2 is my favorite, and we kinda have our own private beach.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 22:55
Just pm'd you, gimme a call when you get a second.

One thing I forgot to ask you: do you need to borrow any gear? I can loan you HG quilts if you need them.

The reason I ask is because we had a noob come out to a group hang last winter with a low of 18 degrees, and he only brought an underquilt - no topquilt, no sleeping bag! Needless to say he froze, and I felt bad I didn't ask him about his gear. Tomorrow's low temps in Hammonton are 49 degrees, but you can usually expect Mullica River to be up to 10 degrees colder - so expect a low of 39 degrees.

Last week when I camped at Mullica weather.com said it would be 38 degrees in Hammonton - it was 28 degrees at Mullica river campsite.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-02-2014, 23:14
I'm playing it safe and bringing my usmc diamond tent w/ mss so I'm good to go. If you've got a spare pole & reel that'd be awesome to knock out some fishing cuz I only have surf rigs. Thanks for the consideration though.

One thing I forgot to ask you: do you need to borrow any gear? I can loan you HG quilts if you need them.

The reason I ask is because we had a noob come out to a group hang last winter with a low of 18 degrees, and he only brought an underquilt - no topquilt, no sleeping bag! Needless to say he froze, and I felt bad I didn't ask him about his gear. Tomorrow's low temps in Hammonton are 49 degrees, but you can usually expect Mullica River to be up to 10 degrees colder - so expect a low of 39 degrees.

Last week when I camped at Mullica weather.com said it would be 38 degrees in Hammonton - it was 28 degrees at Mullica river campsite.

silentorpheus
05-02-2014, 23:22

I haven't seen him on the forums since that trip. Did we scare him away?

I'm playing it safe and bringing my usmc diamond tent w/ mss so I'm good to go. If you've got a spare pole & reel that'd be awesome to knock out some fishing cuz I only have surf rigs. Thanks for the consideration though.

SS has enough extra hammocks and gear to outfit you and a couple friends :)

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 23:29
I haven't seen him on the forums since that trip. Did we scare him away?

SS has enough extra hammocks and gear to outfit you and a couple friends :)

Saw Vagabound at the coffee shop recently; he's doing fine - weird as ever.

Yes, pilsburythrowboy12, I do have a lot of gear. If you want to try a particular setup, let me know. I have a 0* HG quilt set and a 20* quilt set. I have tablecloth hammocks and BIAS hammocks, Byer Moskito Hammocks and an HH Exped Zip. Let me know if you want to sample any of my wares.

But I won't loan you my HG Winter Palace - not gonna happen.

SilvrSurfr
05-02-2014, 23:39

Did you say tent? That's it - I'm bringing you a hammock setup:

1) tablecloth hammock with Dynaglide ridgeline, whoopie slings with Dutch whoopie hooks. I also have two Byer Moskito Hammocks, two BIAS hammocks and an HH Exped zip if you'd rather try one of those (all hammocks for sale for the right price:lol:).
2) HammockGear 0* Burrow TQ and 0* Incubator UQ, or you can try the 20* set.
3) Don't think we'll need a tarp, but I'll bring a Grand Trunk Funky Forest tarp that will keep you dry.

Start in the hammock, and then if you want to sleep in the tent - go ahead on! Gear envy is a horrible thing. I wouldn't have what I have if I didn't see what others have and drooled!

You are not sleeping in a tent! I will tuck you in and check on you hourly before that happens.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-03-2014, 00:11
I've gotta be up in 2 stinkin hours to set up the blind and I can't effing fall asleep cuz of the anticipation of this daggum overnighter!

SilvrSurfr
05-03-2014, 00:16
I've gotta be up in 2 stinkin hours to set up the blind and I can't effing fall asleep cuz of the anticipation of this daggum overnighter!

Hey, I know what you mean - I am wired for an epic paddle and hang!

P-47ChowHound
05-03-2014, 05:09

85063 Ground Dwellers

pilsburythrowboy12 Here is some must have info to make the trip work for SS. Never ever ever say and mean left is left and right is right. I have ruined the man. He is more accustom to left meaning right, sometimes, depending on how close a branch is. When approaching a bend in the river usually SS will know that Back right has no meaning at all. Just shout out useless directions and SS will know what to do. Trust me on this. :)

SilvrSurfr
05-03-2014, 12:04
Finally packed and loaded. I'm off to the Pine Barrens!

aircoder
05-03-2014, 12:13
Have fun enjoy the time out....

pilsburythrowboy12
05-04-2014, 17:28
Just rolled in from the trip and man what a paddle buddy Craig is! I had a heck of a time all thanks to him. Trip report should be up soon.

silentorpheus
05-04-2014, 17:32
Just rolled in from the trip and man what a paddle buddy Craig is! I had a heck of a time all thanks to him. Trip report should be up soon.

As long as you make it back in one piece, trips with SS are usually memorable. Whether for good or bad :lol:

Glad you had a good time!

njredneck
05-04-2014, 18:39
As long as you make it back in one piece, trips with SS are usually memorable. Whether for good or bad :lol:

Glad you had a good time!

What he said

pilsburythrowboy12
05-04-2014, 20:28
orpheus & redneck, SS had mentioned you guys as quite a pair of characters. SS has lived a pretty colorful life and man are his stories something! He was just plain awesome to be in the company of.