PDA

View Full Version : Lady Hammockers thread

Pages : [1] 2

lilprincess
05-03-2014, 06:29
Hello ladies and gents, I would love to have a thread that talks about how we have do some things differently than our dear gentlemen. For instance: do you even fully change in the woods? In your hammock.
My longest trip has only been three days. I can totally live with staying in the same clothes up top for that long. In the fall I'll be out for a week or more. How do you discretely change your short and bra in the hammock?

Loki
05-03-2014, 07:04
Way to go lilprincess! Looking forward to sharing this thread with my daughters🌟

cataraftgirl
05-03-2014, 07:13
We have a saying on river rafting trips....."you don't have privacy, you give privacy." I'd just announce that you need a little privacy, and duck under your tarp. The art of the quick change takes practice, but folks can avert their eyes or turn their back for a few minutes. On rafting trips, we have the luxury of using solar showers in camp. After they warm up, we pick a shower spot & suspend the showers. Everyone gets a turn. The rest of the group moves a short distance away, and faces their camp chairs the other direction. The shower taker then announces when they are done and the next person goes to shower. Discuss the ground rules up front with your hiking partners and I'm sure they will give you some privacy. I'm going on my first group hang next month, so I'll be doing the quick change under the tarp.

The Old Boot
05-03-2014, 07:35
Privacy was one of the considerations I had in mind when I did my DIY tarp. It's 12' long PLUS the doors on both ends. The pull outs are both great for my bridge hammock and also for giving me more inside room. Pitched so that I have standing room (ok, I'm short..lol) I'm only visible from the knees down. I can either sit in the hammock and dress or I can sit in a camp chair and change. Normally I end up sitting in the hammock with all my clothes and stuff piled in the chair in front of me.

On a frontcountry trip I even packed a 5 gallon lidded container and used it for nighttime necessities instead of having to stumble down the road to the outhouse.

On group camping trips in the backcountry, most of the others are in tents..sad I know...so I deliberately choose a spot where I've got some natural privacy. They're stuck finding level spots, I can hang down by the lake or back in the trees. With a little planning I get all the privacy I want. Okay, I don't stand around for any length of time buck naked but changing completely and doing washups isn't a problem.

dkurfiss
05-03-2014, 07:59
When I want privacy I do about the same thing I do at home. I shut the door :)

I set up so I can pull my tarp down into A Frame then install a Grizz Beak on the end (if there is one) that faces the camp. I am also not shy about announcing what I am doing be it changing clothing or cleaning up. Besides, if someone "peeks" in at me, I am not responsible if they go blind!!

jennalyn216
05-03-2014, 11:21
Interesting thread! I've recently made the switch to hammocking, and I haven't yet been to the backcountry with it (got a trip planned in June, though). I've been wondering how easy it will be to change with just a tarp for cover, but hopefully my companions will be polite to avert their eyes. And, as others have mentioned, I can perhaps get tucked away back in the trees a bit more as well. We shall see. I guess I just won't worry about it TOO much, since I've always had to drop my drawers for potty breaks, and I've been known to "bathe" in mountain streams, which are rarely completely secluded from passers-by on the trail. It's all part of the adventure!

gmcttr
05-03-2014, 11:31
Just a reminder...ladies thread or not, this must remain family friendly.

We'll see, but look for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic forum as it appears it will be centered on general camping/hiking issues and not hammock specific.

Cranky Bear
05-03-2014, 11:40
For tarp privacy our silnylon tarp has worked great for my wife, also added some 2QZQ Grizz Beaks for wintertime.

A possibility for lighter weight like cuben I would say privacy would be almost none as it's plenty see-though. Although the new camo cuben may be better, although I don't personally know as I haven't yet to see it in person.

Mumbles
05-03-2014, 13:25
So far, my daughters of 8 and 10 have been able to change in the hammocks with the tarps blocking the view of others. We have found bathroom break spots with enough distance or seclusion from others.

VictoriaGuy
05-03-2014, 15:36
We'll see, but look for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic forum as it appears it will be centered on general camping/hiking issues and not hammock specific.

Huh? The 'privacy issue' is completely hammock-specific, and IMO is one reason for the huge preponderance of male hammockers. When I mentioned hammocking to my wife, the 'lack of privacy' was the instant response.

Not an issue in a tent. Even cowboy camping or in a bivy sac, you can get changed while being (mostly) 'covered up'.

VictoriaGuy
05-03-2014, 15:39
We have a saying on river rafting trips....."you don't have privacy, you give privacy." I'd just announce that you need a little privacy, and duck under your tarp. The art of the quick change takes practice, but folks can avert their eyes or turn their back for a few minutes. On rafting trips, we have the luxury of using solar showers in camp. After they warm up, we pick a shower spot & suspend the showers. Everyone gets a turn. The rest of the group moves a short distance away, and faces their camp chairs the other direction. The shower taker then announces when they are done and the next person goes to shower. Discuss the ground rules up front with your hiking partners and I'm sure they will give you some privacy. I'm going on my first group hang next month, so I'll be doing the quick change under the tarp.

Sounds like a good system when yours is the only group in the area.
How would you make this system work with 10 independent groups (not unusual in some campsites in my area..) in one area?

oldgringo
05-03-2014, 19:45
I've changed in a nightshirt. No problem.

VictoriaGuy
05-03-2014, 21:15
I've changed in a nightshirt. No problem.

How do you get your bra changed with your arms in a nightshirt?:)

Insaniac99
05-03-2014, 22:12
How do you get your bra changed with your arms in a nightshirt?:)

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-change-bra-without-removing-shirt-7752075.html

It's relatively easy to change upper garments without first removing them completely.

hutzelbein
05-04-2014, 04:21
Just a reminder...ladies thread or not, this must remain family friendly.

Just out of curiosity: what would not be family friendly in a thread like this? And I also think that this is highly relevant to hammocking, because tents provide a lot more privacy in my opinion.

I don't find changing clothes so much of a problem than staying reasonably clean - a problem I would have if I were to take a tent just the same. When I had to stay in a backcountry campsite with little privacy and lots of people, and my hammock was also hanging very close to the area where everybody was eating and meeting up, I simply waited until it was dark, and then changed while I sat in the hammock.

Washing up is another issue, and I haven't solved this, yet. Up to now I have mostly hiked alone, and often set up camp early. This meant that I had the site for myself for some time, before other hikers showed up. Enough time to do a quick "catlick". I guess there would also be the possibility to take my tarp and set it up as a kind of screen or shower stall. Asking for privacy would work, but I would only trust people I know - not so much strangers I just met at the campsite.

scooterdogma
05-04-2014, 04:58
The lack of privacy in a hammock is a real hammock issue to women. When the tenter's boo hoo hammocks this is the issue which is always number one or two of their talking points. What works for me, is to set up camp w/hammock and tarp. I usually deploy the tarp in the High porch mode, with the open side away from my camping group. I sit in the hammock, with my feet on my tyvek ground mat. I change my upper body sitting in the hammock and only have to stand once to change my lower body. As for cleaning up, I carry a cut-off gallon milk jug for a very light sink, or a gallon freezer bag, which I place at my feet. Then wash up as needed. Hygiene duties complete I drop the tarp into regular porch mode, and head to the group area a happy, clean hiker.

scooterdogma
05-04-2014, 05:09
I orginally posted this in Hangouts, Camping and Trip Planning in the Southeast section. So since it is women specfic to Ladies, I will repost it here.

I was reading Thistle's new post about her shyness to coming to a Group Hang without her hubby. This got me thinking, oh my. Their are probably other women hangers out there that would love to come to a Group Hang, but are concerned about going without anyone they know into a hang with strange men, and you men know who you are You guys are the greatest, this is the best forum on the planet, and I have met a lot of you at hangs. But, this isn't about how wonderful, and gaseous you guys are at hangs. This is about getting women involved in Hammocks.

So ladies .... any interest in an all women hanging weekend? We could go to the Red River Gorge, we could hike into to a site, or camp close to the cars if you would feel more comfortable? Putting the thought out there ....

Update from the interest I have received; we are looking at a having a hang in July. Area we are looking at is around the Grayson Highlands or New River Gorge NP. It will probably be a campground, so the truly hesitant can be close to their cars. :lol:

oldgringo
05-04-2014, 06:01
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-change-bra-without-removing-shirt-7752075.html

It's relatively easy to change upper garments without first removing them completely.

This is a skill that all women have, and all men are baffled by.:D

gmcttr
05-04-2014, 09:12
Just out of curiosity: what would not be family friendly in a thread like this?...

One post has already been edited to insure this thread did not get closed. I would explain it, but I would have to edit out my explaination.:laugh:

cataraftgirl
05-04-2014, 10:30
Sounds like a good system when yours is the only group in the area.
How would you make this system work with 10 independent groups (not unusual in some campsites in my area..) in one area?
Yep, that would be a problem. I suppose I'll find out how all this "under the tarp" business works when I attend my first hang next month. Getting creative with tarp placement and lowering the sides will be a learning experience.

Stormstaff
05-04-2014, 11:25
Not a lady but dealing with this concern in Scouting is one of the main reasons I use a tarp with doors year round. I try to set the tarp low enough so that the most someone would see are my naked shins & feet. :scared:

MuleTeam
05-04-2014, 13:40
I absolutely think this thread( privacy issue) is relative to hammock camping and now I am very curious what had to be edited as not to be family related. Maybe questions like how women have to deal with having periods in the woods? Ladies, heads up, the Mods are interested in our thread so please be sure to contribute to the conversation so we can be sure we are heard and understood!

Country Roads
05-04-2014, 13:56
When group camping, I take a poncho, drop the tarp sides down, and close the doors (I usually take a tarp with doors for group trips). I have done a bath and complete change of clothes while wearing the poncho under my tarp (I usually use a cuben tarp which is like a translucent window). This set up provides coverage and freedom of movement.
When hiking solo, I just sit in the hammock and change. If with a couple of friends (usually male friends that are tent campers), I just set up in a more secluded place, and being friends, they respect my privacy.
I think most people will respect the privacy of others, if they are made aware that you need the privacy.

Firesong
05-04-2014, 13:59
This is a relevant to all question. We rough camp a lot with 3 males and 3 females. We bring a light weight longer but narrow tarp and wrap it around trees close enough together in a square ish shape. Allows you to walk in and around to the center where we also set up a shower. Hot bag or sprayer bottle shower.

Hammock mama
05-04-2014, 15:31
As a female scout leader who sleeps in a hammock finding privacy can be a challenge. I use a large tarp and fold the ends in like doors, it gives plenty of privacy for changing and washing.

grannypat
05-04-2014, 15:52
I've used most of the aforementioned methods: Site selection with privacy in mind, changing clothes while laying in the hammock, turning my back to the group/public area, announcing that I need privacy, poncho, doors on the tarp, and changing in the dark. I always change into sleep clothes at night. I wear a camisole instead of a bra, so if anybody sees it they don't see much. A gatoraide bottle works as a nighttime pee bottle (hold it very close and practice at home). I also have a she wee so I don't have to totally drop my drawers in the woods during the day.

breyman
05-04-2014, 16:15
As a female scout leader who sleeps in a hammock finding privacy can be a challenge. I use a large tarp and fold the ends in like doors, it gives plenty of privacy for changing and washing.

Not a lady but dealing with this concern in Scouting is one of the main reasons I use a tarp with doors year round. I try to set the tarp low enough so that the most someone would see are my naked shins & feet. :scared:

+1. Also a scouter. Best option is doors. Close those and as long as the bottom of the tarp is low enough, it's not a problem at all. In fact, as long as the setup is right, I vastly prefer a tarp to tent for changing. It's SO much easier to do so standing up on a piece of tyvek or ground sheet, all with a convenient chair already right there - then trying to maneuver inside a small backpacking tent.

lilprincess
05-05-2014, 10:04
Thanks everyone for chiming in. :) I realized this weekend that the angle of set up is key as well. If you are all in a line, doors to doors instead of sides to sides, there is a lot less privacy, especially those with just a hex tarp. I've certainly gotten to be an expert at the changing and using the hammock as a chair and a mat under my feet. Thanks for the ideas for when I need to change a bit more than just my outer garments, and for staying clean.

I do hope this thread stays here, there are some serious concerns that girls have when camping in a hammock compared to a tent.

Cali
05-05-2014, 12:18
I was in the Army for 20 years and it can be a challenge to change in the presence of others. I have gotten to the age I don't care as much, so I just go under my tarp and change. If something shows, so be it. If it bothers you, don't look. :lol: It can be easier to change under a poncho, (did that in the Army), and as mentioned earlier, setting up a long tarp or fabric around a few trees for a changing/shower area is a good idea. (did that in the Army also)

CountryRoads
05-05-2014, 18:17
Poncho. Good idea, though I'm guessing most of us could do it with just a shirt. I'm kinda with lilprincess; I don't change unless absolutely necessary. I go to bed late at group events, so sometimes I just make sure there are no lights near me, set my stuff out, turn off my headlamp and do it in the dark. Always the chance of some one getting up, I guess that's a risk I take. I've also done the...stealthily look around...coast is clear...ok MAD DASH!!! 3.5 second change! Never been caught...that I know of...

GrannyPat, didn't know the bottle thing could be done. Where do you practice that? In the bath tub? And can I just ask, am I the only one who can't seem to help getting splatter all over the bottoms of my pants when I pee? Grass is the best but there's no grass back in the woods! I use that "turn off my headlamp thing" to pee in the middle of the night too.

grannypat
05-05-2014, 19:11
Poncho. Good idea, though I'm guessing most of us could do it with just a shirt. I'm kinda with lilprincess; I don't change unless absolutely necessary. I go to bed late at group events, so sometimes I just make sure there are no lights near me, set my stuff out, turn off my headlamp and do it in the dark. Always the chance of some one getting up, I guess that's a risk I take. I've also done the...stealthily look around...coast is clear...ok MAD DASH!!! 3.5 second change! Never been caught...that I know of...

GrannyPat, didn't know the bottle thing could be done. Where do you practice that? In the bath tub? And can I just ask, am I the only one who can't seem to help getting splatter all over the bottoms of my pants when I pee? Grass is the best but there's no grass back in the woods! I use that "turn off my headlamp thing" to pee in the middle of the night too.

I'm sorry, I said Gatoraid bottle, I actually use a wide mouth Nalgene (orange so I don't get it confused with anything else). I intend to try the gatoraid because it would be lighter. With the Nalgene, you have to keep the mouth of the bottle pressed up against your body at the right spot. Practice in the bathtub. I've gotten to where I can do it by feel without a light. :)

CountryRoads
05-05-2014, 19:45
I'm sorry, I said Gatoraid bottle, I actually use a wide mouth Nalgene (orange so I don't get it confused with anything else). I intend to try the gatoraid because it would be lighter. With the Nalgene, you have to keep the mouth of the bottle pressed up against your body at the right spot. Practice in the bathtub. I've gotten to where I can do it by feel without a light. :)
Thanks. That definitely seems doable. Probably wouldn't resort to that unless it was really cold. I usually don't go more than 10 steps from my hammock at night. And, just so I don't derail this thread, about the splatter issue I posted before, you don't have to respond to that on this thread. There are plenty of solutions, just never cared enough to explore it really...

scooterdogma
05-06-2014, 05:48
I, also, posted this in the Southeast Hangouts, Camping and Trip Planning Section

All Women Hang

Let me know which weekend works best for you;

A. July 13 - 15
B. July 20 - 22

We will camp in a campground near Beckley, W. VA and New River Gorge National Park. There are numerous such campgrounds, if anyone has a favorite, post it with your reply. The campgrounds I am looking at have bathhouses, covered picnic shelters and a lake/or river. We can plan some day hikes or touristy visits to the local areas, anyone for white water rafting? All things hammocks, will be discussed, yea!

I will be visiting Beckley in June. I will scope out the campgrounds then. Unless, of course, someone has a favorite. So come on ladies, lets nail this date down and start planning activities

Loki
05-06-2014, 05:59
That Beckley is a beautiful area Scooter

cataraftgirl
05-06-2014, 06:21
Small plastic coffee can with a snap on lid works great. Larger target area, so less practice required. Not as hiker friendly as the nalgene size wise.

Owl
05-06-2014, 08:54
I was in the Army for 20 years and it can be a challenge to change in the presence of others. I have gotten to the age I don't care as much, so I just go under my tarp and change. If something shows, so be it. If it bothers you, don't look. :lol: It can be easier to change under a poncho, (did that in the Army), and as mentioned earlier, setting up a long tarp or fabric around a few trees for a changing/shower area is a good idea. (did that in the Army also)

I wanted to add in what someone else said earlier to this very thoughtful post.

I am male, and was an active duty Army NCO for a long time. Often had female soldiers that worked for me, and we worked out an excellent system.

Someone else made the comment about "giving privacy". That, combined with the suggestions here, pretty much sums up how we managed in the military. We'd often create impromptu shower points. When one of the female soldiers wanted to make use of it, she'd normally ask someone to sit outside the shower point to keep anyone else from stumbling in...they'd sit with their back to her (if it wasn't another female soldier), and she was given the privacy she needed/deserved. Same thing when camping with a mixed group of male/female hikers...setup your tarp for privacy, then ask folks to be courteous and give you a bit of space. Anyone who won't abide by that is someone you probably shouldn't hike with anyway.

jackleberry
05-06-2014, 13:45
Just chiming in because I noticed a lot of people talking about having to stand up to change bottoms. FYI, you don't have to stand up, and even a very minimal tarp is required for privacy. To change bottoms in the hammock, sit down in it, take off your shoes, put your feet up on the hem, lift your butt, remove pants/underthings from hips, then take your feet off the hem and remove pants/underthings from legs. Putting on new stuff is the reverse. This way you never have to even put your bare feet on the ground, so a groundcloth is unnecessary. This is how I change into my sleeping clothes when I hang--not for privacy, but because this is the easiest way I've found to change clothes without getting my socks muddy. If your hammock is sufficiently wide/deep and there's no one standing right in front of you, then you don't even need a tarp to prevent people from seeing anything during this operation.

anjea214
05-06-2014, 14:09
I just did a two night backcountry hike. I just pitched my tarp low and changed behind the tarp. It was really handy - one of our campsites was very close to the trail nearest the trailhead (we got in late so didn't hike far) and there was so much foot traffic in the morning! I was very glad to have my tarp. :)

chapmage
05-06-2014, 18:05
Being in a Scout Troop with more and more hammockers (we currently have 3 Scouts and 2 Adult hangers, with more Scouts getting interested with each trip), I purchased a "pop-up" changing tent off eBay. It stands about 6' high, and has a 4'x4' base and a zippered door. Makes is convenient for the hammockers to change into swimsuits and nightwear discretely.

Bec
05-06-2014, 19:38
I just finished a 3 day 40 mile kayak trip and I came up with the perfect solution for kayak or car camping. I ordered the pop up changing tent from Sportsman Guide for 31 on sale. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/ubuhyrev.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/a6aqaqez.jpgPrivacy, you can stand up to change and bathe. I even carried a portable potty to use in it. There were 28 of us and we were the envy of the group. Forgive Donna's tent. She didn't want to sleep up in the woods on this trip. I had people ask to change in it. It folds flat and I carried it on the back of my kayak withe the portable potty on top of it.

grannypat
05-06-2014, 19:47
I am pleased to announce that it is possible (if your are familiar with your anatomy) to pee in a gatoraid bottle. :)

Bec
05-06-2014, 20:04
And one more image of with my tarp in the background. I had just taken down my hammock. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/sa6yryhe.jpg

oldgringo
05-06-2014, 20:37
I am pleased to announce that it is possible (if your are familiar with your anatomy) to pee in a gatoraid bottle. :)

Zips lip. GP, you made me smile.

PappyAmos
05-06-2014, 20:44

This sounds like a revelation from the Purple Palace :laugh:

sunshower
05-07-2014, 20:08
I love this thread! I'm usually one of the only women when I backpack and this is a huge issue. I found that pitching my Superfly very low and criss crossing the doors works, but then I can't stand straight and actually fallen over while changing my pants. Yikes. Men have it easy.
Has anyone heard of the Go Girl? Much easier to use than a Gatorade bottle.

grannypat
05-07-2014, 20:16
I love this thread! I'm usually one of the only women when I backpack and this is a huge issue. I found that pitching my Superfly very low and criss crossing the doors works, but then I can't stand straight and actually fallen over while changing my pants. Yikes. Men have it easy.

I do have go girl or the she wee. I use that in the daytime and the Nalgene (to be replaced by Gatorade) bottle at night.

grannypat
05-07-2014, 20:17
This sounds like a revelation from the Purple Palace :laugh:

Not yet, just the safety of my bathtub at home so far.

AaronMB
05-07-2014, 20:17

When we're in the snow, my wife likes the pStyle (https://www.google.com/search?q=P-Style&oq=P-Style&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=PStyle). She practiced at home a few times - "no big deal," she now says. :)

Ramblinrev
05-07-2014, 21:40
For those of us of a certain age, particularly us guys, the movie Flashdance has a basic tutorial for removing a bra while still clothed. The whole garment is so foreign to me I couldn't figure it out, but every woman I talked to has said easy peasy once they watched Jennifer Beals do it.

HappyCamper
05-08-2014, 09:49
I do have go girl or the she wee. I use that in the daytime and the Nalgene (to be replaced by Gatorade) bottle at night.

At night in bad weather a heavy duty zip lock bag for me.

grannypat
05-08-2014, 09:51
At night in bad weather a heavy duty zip lock bag for me.

That's a good idea too.

Syrrka
05-08-2014, 13:57
Great Thread! Lots of good info. Thank you for starting it.

:)

lilprincess
05-08-2014, 16:09
I have the go girl too, but if you wait to long it can overflow if your not careful. 😳
I've found that squatting can often be simpler. And less dangerous. A quick tip. Squatting too low can construct the flow, so try to squat a little higher and it won't go all over as much. But not so much that you splash all over you shoes. Lol

OldnSlow
05-12-2014, 01:58
My wife tells me that squatting with one's back against a tree helps hold one up, and keeps things "tidy"

HappyCamper
05-12-2014, 08:30
Yes! Just pick one with smooth bark! Same as sitting on a log. Smooth bark is the secret. :D

Playapixie
05-15-2014, 00:40
This thread cracks me up. Maybe we liberal northwest girls do it differently, but I never worry about who can see me when I change in the back country. I might call out "don't look if you don't want to see" first in case it makes *them* uncomfortable, but I couldn't care less if other campers see my back naked.

I was hoping this thread would have more practical woman-specific information, like what works for staying warm, hammocks especially suited to women, keeping the pack weight light, etc...

Insaniac99
05-15-2014, 00:44
I was hoping this thread would have more practical woman-specific information, like what works for staying warm, hammocks especially suited to women, keeping the pack weight light, etc...

I fail to see how staying warm or light pack weight is female specific or how a hammock would be specially designed for a woman; would you mind expanding on those?

Playapixie
05-15-2014, 00:53
I fail to see how staying warm or light pack weight is female specific or how a hammock would be specially designed for a woman; would you mind expanding on those?

Sure: ladies are often smaller, may sleep cooler, distribute our fat weight differently on our bodies, etc. We may need less length in hammocks or quilts, and maybe even might find different-shaped hammocks preferable vs men (many of whom outweigh me by a hundred pounds.) All reasons why many gear makers produce woman-specific gear for us ladies (sleeping bags, for example, with more room in the hips and loft in different areas where we lose more heat.) We, being (generally) less muscular and more slightly-built than our men-friends also may have a greater interest in keeping our packs light; a few extra ounces on our backs is a greater percentage of packed-weight to body-weight for us.

Oh, and in response to the woman who asked about periods in the woods: double zip-lock baggie with some baking soda inside. Store inside a non-see-through ditty bag and hang it with your food at night (mark it so it's clearly not something your companions will accidentally open when looking for snacks.) I've hiked in grizzly country with this method no problem. You can also use a diva cup or instead cup, but I find that difficult to manage in terms of hygiene/keeping the cup clean, so prefer tampons with the method above.

lijn
05-15-2014, 05:46
This thread cracks me up. Maybe we liberal northwest girls do it differently, but I never worry about who can see me when I change in the back country. I might call out "don't look if you don't want to see" first in case it makes *them* uncomfortable, but I couldn't care less if other campers see my back naked.

While I, too, don't care if I'm seen or not, I think for some ladies, this IS an issue, and one that is specific for hammock camping at that. So I'm glad it gets addressed.

A lot of the woman-specific issues aren't so hammock-specific. Earlier in this thread there's a 'stern warning' ;) from a moderator that it should stay hammock specific, or else the thread gets moved to the member-only area, where, most likely, aspiring female hammock campers will never see it. I agree it would be nice to chat about some of the more generic issues, and it would be nice to do it here. After all, this forum is my favorite hangout when it comes to talking about being outdoors. But the 'generic talk goes into the member forums' policy is quite bit older than this thread, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much :D
I think no-one would stop us if we started a ladies' thread in the member section, and there's always the female section of some big AT forum that has tons of info too.

lilprincess
05-15-2014, 07:15

My best friend in from Oregon and now is stuck in New England. There's a lot that cracks her up about us. ;)

I would love to talk about insulation. I had to have my TQ custom made from HG because I'm only 5'2" and the extra long normal wasn't going to work. I got the longer foot box too. It's perfect for me now. I'm thinking about getting a smaller UQ though. Right now I have the 0* incubator and it's loner than I am. When it's cold I can't keep all that down warm so I get cold spots. (I don't generate much heat on my own) I'm considering getting a Phincubator, half way between a 3/4 and full.

As far as periods, I agree with the baking soda bag. Works great for me too.

sandykayak
05-15-2014, 08:19
And another huge gender-specific issue (especially for short women) is finding a pack that is the proper ratio volume and lengthwise and will hold all your gear. I'm 5' and heavy. Some manufacturers assume that if the woman is short she is also slim.

My old Eureka Diablo was good, but weighs 3 lbs. I bought the GoLite Gust in Dyneema and it was waaay too long. I use it for stuffing the gear for car camping and even had to use it for the Feb FL Sherpa hang (see profile photo). Next I ordered Gossamer Gear's Mariposa. One look sideways in the mirror and it was hanging half-way down my butt. So, I got the Miniposa. GG allows you to choose whatever size belt u need for any of their packs. Perfect fit, but low volume. No way can I fit my 1.9 DL switchback original, UQ, FF down Rock Wren sleeping bag, clothes, and food. Tarp can go outside, of course, but the rest is a challenge.

I'm toying around with the thought of a WB netless Traveler SL and separate bug net (already have). I have 3/4 synthetic Jarbridge UQ, a JRB Shenandoah down summer UQ, and a full-length one also from AHE (to stack with JRB at next FL hang. The old North Face sleeping bag as a TQ didn't cut it - in the rush couldn't find FF RW.)

Not going to spend a lot of $$. as my doggies pretty much limit me to car/Aliner camping. Maybe one day I can do an easy overnight hike and/or get back to kayaking camping. If not, I have my Vario hammock stand and trees by the lake in the neighborhood. There's an addict for you!

cataraftgirl
05-15-2014, 08:21
I've tried several lengths of UQ and keep going back to the Incubator. It seems to keep me covered the best no matter how diagonal I get in the hammock. For the guys, there's the trend towards longer hammocks. For gals, the 9.5-10.5 seem to work better. I started with a Trek Light double. I tried several other brands & styles, and came back to the Trek Light. It just "fits" me the best.

I know this isn't exactly a female only topic, but maybe female have more issues with the pooping in the woods thing. As a rafter/hammock hanger, I have the luxury of always having a semi-real toilet to use. We are required to carry a sealable, water proof, sturdy, cleanable system on rivers. Now that I'm venturing into kayak touring, I have to start thinking like a backpacker with regards to solid waste. Some of the areas I'll be paddling require waste to be carried out. I know about wag bags, but I'm struggling with the squatting part because I have a bad knee. I've seen a few different methods to make backcountry toilets, and I'm experimenting with a few. If I come up with a winner, I'll post about it here, in case they are other kayak touring hammock gals who are "in the same boat" as me. :)

The Old Boot
05-15-2014, 08:27
The sizing of everything from hammocks to quilts was what had me doing all my stuff DIY from the start. Fortunately I had most of the skill set necessary.

My hammock is made for someone 5' tall and the measurements for my TQ were based on experimenting with a fleece throw and being a couch potato :laugh: it's just as wide as most but a whole lot shorter.

While I was at it I ended up making both pairs of my convertible pants because off the rack stuff had the shorts being capri's and the bottoms of the convertibles would be 9" below my ankles. Short inseam and large butt just don't work for store bought clothing.

As to light equipment, I took into consideration the weight of everything.

My only luxury that I will carry the weight for is my Helinox chair. Other than that making all my own stuff sacks and compression sacks not only saved me money but weight as well. I started off with making my own backpack a la luxury lite and it worked well but now I need an internal frame pack for the raft. The ULA Epic weighs in around 2 lbs plus the 10 oz for the dry bag, I've got a 65 L pack that's completely waterproof for just over 2 1/2 lbs....not bad at all.

Now I'm looking at making my own dry suit for extending my rafting season. I figured out quickly that I would have to grow by 16" to be able to get my body into a commercially made suit...and since I'm way past any growth spurts, that just isn't going to happen...:lol:

cataraftgirl
05-15-2014, 08:40
The sizing of everything from hammocks to quilts was what had me doing all my stuff DIY from the start. Fortunately I had most of the skill set necessary.

My hammock is made for someone 5' tall and the measurements for my TQ were based on experimenting with a fleece throw and being a couch potato :laugh: it's just as wide as most but a whole lot shorter.

While I was at it I ended up making both pairs of my convertible pants because off the rack stuff had the shorts being capri's and the bottoms of the convertibles would be 9" below my ankles. Short inseam and large butt just don't work for store bought clothing.

As to light equipment, I took into consideration the weight of everything.

My only luxury that I will carry the weight for is my Helinox chair. Other than that making all my own stuff sacks and compression sacks not only saved me money but weight as well. I started off with making my own backpack a la luxury lite and it worked well but now I need an internal frame pack for the raft. The ULA Epic weighs in around 2 lbs plus the 10 oz for the dry bag, I've got a 65 L pack that's completely waterproof for just over 2 1/2 lbs....not bad at all.

Now I'm looking at making my own dry suit for extending my rafting season. I figured out quickly that I would have to grow by 16" to be able to get my body into a commercially made suit...and since I'm way past any growth spurts, that just isn't going to happen...:lol:
You have hit upon a major gripe of mine. Outdoor clothing for full figured women. In some cases I can make men's stuff work. I'm 5'6", so I'm close, but never quite tall enough for a lot of stuff. there are a few companies who make plus size sportswear, but none that are strictly outdoor clothing. REI carries a few Plus size pieces, but not much.
I did find a dry suit by Kokatat that fits fairly well. It's a woman's XLS....Extra large short. But short means 5'5" - 5'8"

Cali
05-15-2014, 09:03
I have the opposite problem; When I try women's clothes, the capris are long shorts, and the shoulders on shirts are not broad enough. Also, the sleeve length is never long enough. The long sleeves with the thumb hole are just right for a normal length for me, I just can't put my thumb in the hole. :lol: Additionally women's pants are too short most times, unless I get lucky and find long, and they will usually work. I am happy with the way God made me, and just have to make the extra effort to find the right size stuff, which may mean going to the men's department. :lol:

hutzelbein
05-15-2014, 11:36
Sure: ladies are often smaller, may sleep cooler, distribute our fat weight differently on our bodies, etc. We may need less length in hammocks or quilts, and maybe even might find different-shaped hammocks preferable vs men (many of whom outweigh me by a hundred pounds.) All reasons why many gear makers produce woman-specific gear for us ladies (sleeping bags, for example, with more room in the hips and loft in different areas where we lose more heat.) We, being (generally) less muscular and more slightly-built than our men-friends also may have a greater interest in keeping our packs light; a few extra ounces on our backs is a greater percentage of packed-weight to body-weight for us.

No women specific hammock-products out there that I know of. I use a lot of short equipment like a short full-length underquilt, which has been working well for me. I found that 11' hammocks are overkill for my body size; I guess a 10' hammock feels about the same to me as an 11' hammock feels to a larger guy. Other than that I can't use top quilts because I sleep too cold. I generally have to carry *a lot* more insulation than a healthy guy my size would. I used my down vest a lot when hiking in the US last summer, and had a merino long sleeve in my pack, too. I'd love to see more products like the Exped Dreamwalker (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/sleepingbags/dreamwalker-650-m) - but unfortunately, those sleeping bags are way too heavy for the warmth they provide. I'm better off taking my warmer and lighter sleeping bag AND my down vest...

anjea214
05-15-2014, 12:29
I know this isn't exactly a female only topic, but maybe female have more issues with the pooping in the woods thing. As a rafter/hammock hanger, I have the luxury of always having a semi-real toilet to use. We are required to carry a sealable, water proof, sturdy, cleanable system on rivers. Now that I'm venturing into kayak touring, I have to start thinking like a backpacker with regards to solid waste. Some of the areas I'll be paddling require waste to be carried out. I know about wag bags, but I'm struggling with the squatting part because I have a bad knee. I've seen a few different methods to make backcountry toilets, and I'm experimenting with a few. If I come up with a winner, I'll post about it here, in case they are other kayak touring hammock gals who are "in the same boat" as me. :)
http://www.squatmonkey.com/

grannypat
05-15-2014, 17:11
http://www.squatmonkey.com/

Swinginit came up with an ultralight poopie sling similar to this.

Playapixie
05-15-2014, 18:46
Great conversation! It's definitely helpful to know what other ladies are using gear-wise. :-)

slugbait
05-15-2014, 19:57
Re: changing while hammocking- I've always used the "lie in the hammock with the top quilt over you" method. Even with buttoned shirts which I like to wear hiking- there's a learning curve but doable.

VictoriaGuy
05-15-2014, 23:08
Contact Kokatat - they do custom sized suits. Even better, IMO, get in touch with George Gronseth at Kayak Academy (Seattle area)- he sells more dry suits than practically anybody, and can guide you through the custom sizing process for a Kokatat suit.
I think Reeds (Chillcheaters) in the UK do custom suits as well. Some folks in my area have had pretty good luck mailordering from them.
This is a bit OT - should probably end up in the 'Paddling' area.....

sliver
05-15-2014, 23:30
I just use a tarp with doors and change while laying in my hammock. No privacy issues whatsoever. That's one of the reasons why I bought a tarp with doors, actually.

The Old Boot
05-16-2014, 05:59
Contact Kokatat - they do custom sized suits. Even better, IMO, get in touch with George Gronseth at Kayak Academy (Seattle area)- he sells more dry suits than practically anybody, and can guide you through the custom sizing process for a Kokatat suit.
I think Reeds (Chillcheaters) in the UK do custom suits as well. Some folks in my area have had pretty good luck mailordering from them.
This is a bit OT - should probably end up in the 'Paddling' area.....

Actually I found the neoprene parts I need are available from Kokatat and I have the skill level to do my own. I've custom tailored my own clothing and designed everything from stage costuming to business suits so this is a welcome but not difficult challenge.

sandykayak
05-16-2014, 10:37
Ha! Hutz.. I have the Exped Dreamwalker (wanted a synthetic bag similar to my down FF Rock Wren for kayak camping) in Large and keep wondering if I could chop off ab 12" on the bottom. Zipper would be problem. Scared to shorten it and cut zipper and totally ruin it. Guess I should check out Quest or ??? for replacement stoppers.

Although I'm short (5'), I like an extreme diagonal lay. I even went back to the Original Switchback cos the LightHiker didn't feel right.

Playapixie
05-17-2014, 21:57
So here's another serious question for you ladies: are any of you solo backpackers? Do you have any fears regarding safety (that you wouldn't have if you were in a group or with a man)? Do you cary anything for protection?

Personally I never worry about my ability to care for myself (long-time trip leader, child of a mountain rescue guru, flight nurse, wilderness EMT, wilderness survival training...) But I do worry about living things that might wish to harm me (particularly humans.) We had a case here in Washington a handful of years ago where a woman and her daughter were murdered on a trail, and no one was ever caught. That happened in an area I frequently hike.

In my 20's I backpacked solo a lot without a second thought. But back then I had a big, loyal dog (who may or may not have actually protected me,) and a much stronger sense of immortality. In my 40's maybe I'm a little more cautious. I've never let the fear of dying stop me from living before, so I intend to hike solo this season again even though I no longer have a dog, but I wonder what you ladies do/bring for personal safety. (I'm considering bringing bear spray, even though I've never carried bear spray in Washington before and would feel kind of silly.)

Playapixie
05-17-2014, 22:03
So here's another serious question for you ladies: are any of you solo backpackers? Do you have any fears regarding safety (that you wouldn't have if you were in a group or with a man)? Do you cary anything for protection? (Same questions can apply towards solo men, but I do think there are additional risks for a solo woman...)

Personally I never worry about my ability to care for myself (long-time trip leader, child of a mountain rescue guru, flight nurse, wilderness EMT, wilderness survival training...) But I do worry about living things that might wish to harm me (particularly humans.) We had a case here in Washington a handful of years ago where a woman and her daughter were murdered on a trail, and no one was ever caught. That happened in an area I frequently hike.

In my 20's I backpacked solo a lot without a second thought. But back then I had a big, loyal dog (who may or may not have actually protected me,) and a much stronger sense of immortality. In my 40's maybe I'm a little more cautious. I've never let the fear of dying stop me from living before, so I intend to hike solo this season again even though I no longer have a dog, but I wonder what you ladies do/bring for personal safety. (I'm considering bringing bear spray, even though I've never carried bear spray in Washington before and would feel kind of silly.)

This line of thought has also had me questioning my choice of gear colors, as I'm inclined towards feminine colors, but wonder if a more low-key approach might be wiser since I'm in a hammock, and a lone hammock is clearly a lone hiker. I was about to order a purple under quilt but now I'm second-guessing myself...

Same thing regarding reflective guy lines for the tarp...they seem like a good idea, but they're definitely not stealthy, and do I want to draw the attention of others if I'm camped by myself?

Playapixie
05-17-2014, 22:13
I started a separate thread on solo hammock backpacker safety with women in mind in particular, if you're interested: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?93361-Solo-woman-hiker-safety

gmcttr
05-17-2014, 22:26
I started a separate thread on solo hammock backpacker safety with women in mind in particular, if you're interested: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?93361-Solo-woman-hiker-safety

I merged that thread with this one to keep from having to move it to the Donating Members Off Topic Forum.

PappyAmos
05-17-2014, 22:30
Well, two legged animals can be a worry. I wondered about some of that same stuff when I started backpacking again this last year. As a 67 year old man my issues are a little different than yours but maybe not all that much. I have chosen stealthy gear colorations - I'd give that some consideration. I try to camp just a little away from the beaten paths. As far as protecting yourself goes, you can either sleep with a 9mm and be ready to blast anything that moves or recognise the futility of that approach (to say nothing of 2 more lbs of weight to carry).

Beyond that, when I start worrying about being in the piney woods alone, I stuff my ear plugs in my ears and go to sleep. That's kinda what you have to do if your gonna go out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Insaniac99
05-17-2014, 23:17
The ways to stay safe are varied and they tend to go between the extremes. The first extreme is to do things that mean you won't be noticed; wear bland clothes, use generic colors (camo isn't generic), and go places people don't frequent (in Washington there are many trails that are rarely traveled). The other extreme is to stand out as much as possible and be with lots of people, the giant campgrounds and so forth.

Self defense isn't about covering all angles (because it isn't possible) but is about risk management. Being by yourself, age, gender, level of intoxication (if any), type of area, and many, many other factors affect your risk. Defending yourself is much more about everything leading up to the violence that most people tend to focus on.

I suggest reading up on the work of Marc MacYoung; though he focuses on self defense in an urban environment the advice and explanations he lays out would transfer well to backpacking: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Playapixie
05-18-2014, 00:19
Beyond that, when I start worrying about being in the piney woods alone, I stuff my ear plugs in my ears and go to sleep. That's kinda what you have to do if your gonna go out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Heh. Yeah. I've totally used the earplugs and a half of an ambien approach before, though I've questioned the wisdom of that bit of intoxication. But at the end of the day, I guess I fear no sleep more than I fear the boogeyman/bears/mountain lions/raccoons... ;-)

Definitely considering pepper-spray in a small (not bear-sized) quantity, though...

hutzelbein
05-18-2014, 02:45
I'm hiking (and travelling) solo most of the time, and I get asked a lot if I'm not scared. My answer is "what's the point?" Sure, bad stuff can happen to you on the trail. But it can happen to you wether you hike solo or in a group. And it can happen to you at home, too. There is some safety in numbers, and there are hikes that I wouldn't do on my own. But this has more to do with other dangers like breaking a leg with nobody passing by in days.

I think what you need to realize is, that nobody has control over their life. You can go out fully prepared and take every safety precaution possible and get struck by lightning nonetheless. A couple of years back, a woman I knew got murdered, premeditated and in cold blood - in her own house, by her husband (who I knew, too, and thought was a nice guy). This threw me completely, because if you cannot trust your husband, who can you trust? The truth is, bad things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. If it's meant to happen, I guess there's nothing else to do but accept it. After all, what is the alternative? Should I stay at home because nobody else is interested in hiking or has the time to go with me?

When I go hiking (or travelling), I try to stay safe by informing myself about possible dangers, and then I try to avoid them (e.g. not walk in a particular city on my own after dark). Otherwise, I hope that my gut feeling will tell me to stay clear of certain things - and I try to appear self-confident or even aggressive rather than fearful and timid. A good show often is half the battle :)

When hiking I don't carry any protection. I come from a country where most means of self-defense are illegal and frowned upon. I guess I could think about pepper spray, which might be of help with some animals, too. But how much help is this if you were to be attacked by a human predator in the wild? If somebody really puts it in his mind to get you, they always have the advantage. So I look at the statistics, which say that it is way more likely that I get killed on the road than in the backcountry, and put it out of my mind. So far, pretty much all people I have met on the trail were exceptionally nice and caring. The same goes for people I have met when travelling solo. I always tell people who worry so much that they should get out there - that up to now, I have not found the world to be such a bad and dangerous place at all. Quite the contrary!

lilprincess
05-19-2014, 07:00
So I look at the statistics, which say that it is way more likely that I get killed on the road than in the backcountry, and put it out of my mind. So far, pretty much all people I have met on the trail were exceptionally nice and caring. The same goes for people I have met when travelling solo. I always tell people who worry so much that they should get out there - that up to now, I have not found the world to be such a bad and dangerous place at all. Quite the contrary!

That's awesome! Add in that you should always let someone know where you will be and when you should be back, and you good. I also like up hike with a dog. Not sure if it helps, he'd probably lick you to death, but it makes me calmer and more confident in the woods.

My mom likes to hike by herself; her sisters and mom make her keep her phone on so I can track her phone as she hikes. Great way to calm down those that are left behind.

Playapixie
05-20-2014, 00:58
Thanks for the conversation. I appreciate the "just live" (wisely, and as safely as possible, while living fully) attitude. I've traveled solo in several third world countries and never worried that much about my safety (except in/on motor vehicles), but something about sleeping alone in the woods without my dog brings up some kind of ancient fears, I guess. But that won't stop me, and it's good to hear from others who just go for it anyhow.

sandykayak
05-20-2014, 08:16
Hats off to u solo female hikers. (And tx to the mod for keeping the thread open). I think I (female) would fall into the "There is nothing to fear but fear itself" category. I'd would be so worried (mostly about getting lost) that I wouldn't enjoy myself. I like to have someone around if only to ask, "Did u hear that?"

That said, in normal city and Popup (Aliner Classic - a hard-sided folding trailer) camping I'm alone (with my Chihuahuas who bark if something comes near. Tips have been given about leaving a pair of men's boots by the door and setting up two chairs, but that's not practical when hiking.

Pepper spray etc always seem pretty useless to me - unless you have the canister in your hand, at the ready, at all times. And then I've heard that if the wind is blowing your way...

I guess "walk softly and carry a big stick" would be most effective.

Just remembered a rape prevention video I once watched. Apart from the "kick him where it hurts" advice, another tip was to stick your fingers down your throat and puke on him.

hikerdelita
05-23-2014, 02:51
Very glad to find this thread on here. As a newcomer (longtime lurker) You're hitting on the most challenging aspects of being a woman hiker, especially solo, especially of a certain age. Although I find so many hikers congenial, there are times for privacy and up to now I've only stealth camped with my hammock. =O For these reasons, I'm just about to go for making an OGEE tarp, mainly to have more privacy! Are you surprised? I wonder if any women here have used one. Now that I fell in lust with it and it's *almost* doors I'm second guessing the actual coverage and maybe I need the full winter tarp set-up year round... Sound familiar? Any tips gratefully assimilated! Glad to be here and hear such pertinent discussion. These issues control whether not I will be able to hammock/tarp hang successfully in public hiking venues. How could this possibly be off topic? Thanks, all!

dkurfiss
05-23-2014, 07:12
So here's another serious question for you ladies: are any of you solo backpackers? Do you have any fears regarding safety (that you wouldn't have if you were in a group or with a man)? Do you cary anything for protection? (Same questions can apply towards solo men, but I do think there are additional risks for a solo woman...)

This line of thought has also had me questioning my choice of gear colors, as I'm inclined towards feminine colors, but wonder if a more low-key approach might be wiser since I'm in a hammock, and a lone hammock is clearly a lone hiker. I was about to order a purple under quilt but now I'm second-guessing myself...

Same thing regarding reflective guy lines for the tarp...they seem like a good idea, but they're definitely not stealthy, and do I want to draw the attention of others if I'm camped by myself?

I don't do much over night hiking but do set up day camps via my motorcycle and do day hikes. I also live in a suburban area (just outside of DC) and must admit that I have felt way more uncomfortable hiking in my regional parks than I do when I am actually out in the woods.

Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS.

My gear is all meant to blend in with the environment. Greens, tans, camo and no gender specific colors like pinks or such. I do not want to advertise. I also do not use reflect materials including guy lines. My hope is if someone is sneaking around they are going to trip, fall, and I am going to hear them.

It should also noted that I have a very morbid sense of living. Every one is closer to death each day from birth on. It is what we do between the two that matters so I am not going to stop doing the things that I enjoy because there might be dire consequences.

HappyCamper
05-23-2014, 14:07
2 women I know who hike alone use the SPOT personal tracker. It's more if they get hurt on the trail or are delayed. They can send messages to family to let them know if they are ok or not ok. If I got out into the woods more, I think the price would be worth it.

mekdad
05-23-2014, 14:30
Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS.

dingbat
05-23-2014, 20:49

Great thread by the way. I'd like to get my wife and daughter in hammocks when we camp and it's a great help to have women specific issues brought to my attention. With this sort of info I've got a better shot at setting them up to have a good experience.

gmcttr
05-23-2014, 22:21
"Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS."

Each of you knew firearm discussions are prohibited.

berksound
05-24-2014, 00:07
My best friend in from Oregon and now is stuck in New England. There's a lot that cracks her up about us. ;)

I would love to talk about insulation. I had to have my TQ custom made from HG because I'm only 5'2" and the extra long normal wasn't going to work. I got the longer foot box too. It's perfect for me now. I'm thinking about getting a smaller UQ though. Right now I have the 0* incubator and it's loner than I am. When it's cold I can't keep all that down warm so I get cold spots. (I don't generate much heat on my own) I'm considering getting a Phincubator, half way between a 3/4 and full.

As far as periods, I agree with the baking soda bag. Works great for me too.

Thanks for this thread, ladies- I have just read through this thread for the first time. I love all the tips and the solo hiking discussion- great stuff! lilp: I have a 20* Phoenix with an extra oz. of down and I love it- I sleep cold and it dials in great. I'm a tall gal at 5'10" but the coverage on the Phoenix is great and I think you could almost use it like a full length! I throw my sit pad in my foot box of my TQ and am toasty.

Playapixie
05-24-2014, 00:58
2 women I know who hike alone use the SPOT personal tracker. It's more if they get hurt on the trail or are delayed. They can send messages to family to let them know if they are ok or not ok. If I got out into the woods more, I think the price would be worth it.

Good idea...I'll look into that.

I also discovered an iPhone app recently that notifies your chosen contacts if you don't "check in" by a specified timed after an adventure (or internet date or road trip, or...) It works...I forgot to check in the first time I used it for a solo hike, and whoops, alarmed the family needlessly. But it's cool to know it works, and that people will know where to look for me if I don't come home as planned. The app is called "Bugle"

dingbat
05-24-2014, 16:26
"Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS."

Each of you knew firearm discussions are prohibited.

I did not, but thank you for the heads up and please accept my apologies.

lilprincess
05-27-2014, 16:11
Just to let you ladies know: I just got back from a five day four night hike on the Long Trail and saw more women than men by two to one!! We're taking over the trails!

Playapixie
05-27-2014, 23:00
Just to let you ladies know: I just got back from a five day four night hike on the Long Trail and saw more women than men by two to one!! We're taking over the trails!

Love it! I'd say that's true on the Washington trails for sure. Next step: take over the Hammock Forum!

Actually, that makes me wonder what the numbers actually are on this forum. It FEELS heavily dude-centric. And judging from the near-impossibility of finding gear in colors that are not camo/brown/olive, it seems like the hammock camping hobby is pretty dude-centric. It doesn't help that everyone here uses usernames instead of their real names, many of which don't clearly suggest the gender of the author, so I find that I usually assume the poster is male. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm definitely curious. My lifetime's experiences with outdoor activities have always had more women involved than it seems are present here. What do you think? How many of us women hangers are there?

jackleberry
05-27-2014, 23:35
Love it! I'd say that's true on the Washington trails for sure. Next step: take over the Hammock Forum!

Actually, that makes me wonder what the numbers actually are on this forum. It FEELS heavily dude-centric. And judging from the near-impossibility of finding gear in colors that are not camo/brown/olive, it seems like the hammock camping hobby is pretty dude-centric. It doesn't help that everyone here uses usernames instead of their real names, many of which don't clearly suggest the gender of the author, so I find that I usually assume the poster is male. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm definitely curious. My lifetime's experiences with outdoor activities have always had more women involved than it seems are present here. What do you think? How many of us women hangers are there?

I don't see what's dude-centric about earth tones. I mean we're not talking wedding decorations here, we're talking camping. Anyway, Eno, Ticket to the Moon and many other brands have brighter colors. If you personally wouldn't want to hang in a hot pink hammock, though, I don't know why you'd expect the cottage manufactures invest in nylon of that color.

I'd say it's about 70/30. I think the numbers will get closer to 60/40 or whatever the general camping split is as hammock camping becomes more mainstream.

newlease
05-28-2014, 08:53
I just got back from a few days on the AT in southern PA and was very happy to see both hammocks and women all over the place. :)

gmcttr
06-23-2014, 08:21
Bump......

scooterdogma
06-24-2014, 04:59
88257 I went with 4 female friends to the Grayson Highlands on a 4 day backpacking trip and women outnumbered men at the shelters. Tents still won the number wars at the shelters. But, we did what we could to spread the word :lol:

juldga
06-27-2014, 07:55
I do. when I hang my tarp over my hammock it nearly reaches the ground so I stand underneath the tarp and change

lazy river road
06-27-2014, 09:11
My wife had these same concerns at first when I got her in a hammock. So she uses a winter tarp with doors made of black Sil all year round for her hammock trips. Mostly their car camping as she has really only been on the trail once and we did small mileage so weight wasent all that big of a deal. I'll have to let her read through this thread as encouragement to get out with me more.

Whatknot
06-28-2014, 18:21
All our perspectives will be different. Not just being a woman but also your own preferences and... How your body perspires, what you prefer to wear etc.

So, from my perspective, I don't wear any, ahem, tight undergament. That is to say, my base layer (right next to my skin) is always only a technical airflow type of shirt. On top of that I will usually pick a further base layer ( one size up) of merino or meco fabric. So two base layers (one of which can always be taken off and washed). One allows air flow, is close-ish fitting and the other insulates but does not cling to my body so not holding too much sweat. To me, sweat is key. If you keep that under control then you have solved a few possible problems with excessive odour and, getting cold.

Lower undergaments and socks changed every day. Lightweight enough to wash-one-wear-one as they can dry easily.

sandykayak
07-08-2014, 15:05
For kayak River trips I used to buy men's bathing shorts cos they came with built-in nylon underwear.

Jaytongret
07-08-2014, 15:40
Thank you for this my wife is getting her first hammock. She doesn't know it yet 😄 jut she hopped in mine and loved it. And she started asking me about these questions as now I had answers!!!!

lilprincess
07-08-2014, 21:26
Thank you for this my wife is getting her first hammock. She doesn't know it yet 😄 jut she hopped in mine and loved it. And she started asking me about these questions as now I had answers!!!!

That's wonderful!! If she has any others, feel free to ask them here so everyone can benefit. :)

CountryRoads
07-27-2014, 19:37
Anyone (hey, from men too!) have any other safety ideas? Had a bad experience and now I want to be way more prepared.

I was hiking solo the other day, going to find a nice spot by the river and chill in my hammock for a bit, but ended up having the scariest experience I've ever had on the trail! I intentionally stalled starting on the trail because there was a guy heading in close to me and I wanted to hike alone. He seemed friendly, acknowledged me, was walking his dog and had a wooden hiking staff, I didn't have any concerns about him, just wanted to hike alone.

So, I was still prob a quarter mile from the trail head, with a clear line of site, watched the guy with the dog go in and as he did another guy walked out. I didn't think anything of it, but 5 or so min later when I got to the trail head and started in, the guy who had just come off the trail was still hovering there. He gave me a weird expressionless look, looked right at me but didn't really acknowledge me. Then he followed me onto the trail, was like 5 steps behind me, and this is a dark trail, with 60 foot drop offs on one side. I stopped, turned around and gave him a "you're freakin me out look" but that didn't seem to register with him so I did it again and he kept coming. So I stopped and acted like I was just looking at the river for a bit and he passed me.

I seriously went against my gut feeling to not hike that trail then. But I let him get a ways ahead and headed in. I could still see him. Then he veered off onto a side trail that doesn't go anywhere other than back onto the main trail. I got more afraid at this point, went another 30 steps or so, then decided I needed to get out of there, now! I hadn't gotten to the point where that side trail meets up again with the main trail, and as I'm heading out I see him coming towards me again. It was a deer in the headlights moment. He looked right at me and gave me that same almost blank look and as I was about 10 feet from him he started digging around in his pocket. Seemed like he was trying to rattle me. I passed him without incident and seriously double timed it back out, sure enough he popped out 5 min after me.

At this point I was within ears shot of people, near some athletic fields and a track, so I was relieved but didn't want him to follow me home, so I sat by the track. And now that guy started walking the track. He made two full laps before leaving. I watched him walk a few hundred feet, cross the bridge over the river, then I couldn't see anymore.

So, I figured it was safe and headed home, but sure enough, as soon as I crossed the bridge, he popped out 10 feet from me on a trail along the other side of the river! Could this all be a coincidence?! There were other people around at this point. I was prob 75 feet from a road, so I wasn't fearing for my life like before, but I don't think I've ever been that scared! I wish I would have hiked in with the guy with the dog!

Sorry that was so long winded. Here's one good tip that I've learned (well, ONE, LISTEN TO YOUR GUT!) and also carry your knife backwards with the dull end pressed right against your wrist, and the sharp side out. If someone tries to grab you, they'll probably grab your wrists. If you do that you can slice their hand and then go for the neck or groin! That's a good tip for dark streets and parking lots too.

grannypat
07-27-2014, 20:11
Scary! You could have started blowing your whistle--this guy would not like the attention it brought. Down at the track, could have called 911. Doesn't hurt to call and let them know you are being followed. I carry. You may not have that option in MA.

Adahy
07-27-2014, 20:51
Sounds like he was trying to scare you if nothing else! Not sure about MA laws but taser, or bear spray would be smart. Or better yet as the old saying goes "there's safety in numbers".

Glad you're safe!

sunshower
07-28-2014, 05:56
OMG glad you're safe! No harm calling 911 loudly so he can hear you.

lilprincess
07-28-2014, 07:43
So glad you are safe! That's so scary! You need an FID card for mace but you can have bear spray in MA. I like the knife idea.

IndyFace
07-28-2014, 09:12
honestly, i change wherever. even if there are guys around. if they haven't seen a woman's body before, well, i guess i'm the first in their dreams. (obviously i try to hide when there are kids around, but rarely do i camp with kids) haha. if you don't wanna see me changing, i always give ppl a heads up to turn the other way because i'm getting dressed. usually, they do turn around just out of respect. to me, there's just no sense in turning a 3 min deal into a 10 min deal just by cramping up the space to do it.

as for being that time of the month, well, i haven't camped during that time yet, i've lucked out with planning ha. but i hear that using the flow cups is the best. the she wee is a great idea as well. definitely makes our (women) lives easier when in the great outdoors. the only thing that you can do is try diff ways of doing things (especially with changing) and see what fits and helps the most. just don't let such a small daily routine become so stressful that it ruins your trip!

CountryRoads
07-28-2014, 13:17
Scary! You could have started blowing your whistle--this guy would not like the attention it brought. Down at the track, could have called 911. Doesn't hurt to call and let them know you are being followed. I carry. You may not have that option in MA.

Sounds like he was trying to scare you if nothing else! Not sure about MA laws but taser, or bear spray would be smart. Or better yet as the old saying goes "there's safety in numbers".

Glad you're safe!

OMG glad you're safe! No harm calling 911 loudly so he can hear you.

So glad you are safe! That's so scary! You need an FID card for mace but you can have bear spray in MA. I like the knife idea.Thanks.

I had a whistle and phone but it didn't occur to me to use the whistle or to call 911. I guess I thought maybe I was being paranoid, but I just had a really bad feeling in my gut. Once I got off the trail and out near the track I felt pretty secure since there were a few people running there. I carry too, have a MA LTC, but wasn't on this hike. I will next time!

Insaniac99
07-28-2014, 19:31
For short trips packing out the tampons or pads works fine using bags within bags and if you are worried about smell the easiest lightest solution is a single scented wipe in the biggest bag.

Klaussinator
07-28-2014, 20:04
I carry too, have a MA LTC, but wasn't on this hike. I will next time!

#1, I'm glad you're safe! Always, always, ALWAYS trust your gut! Sounds like you did a great job of being aware of your surroundings. Many people don't notice such things and sadly, they become victims.

#2, Your gun does no good at home or left in your car! Find a way that works for you to carry it -- and then carry it! You have no way of knowing which day things could go bad, so if you have the tools to protect yourself, you've got to have them available when you'd least expect to need them.

As an ex-LEO, I still carry everyday, and work to maintain the skills necessary to ensure that neither I nor the ones I love will become the next victim. But I can assure you that when I worked the streets, trusting my gut saved me more times than any of the tools on my belt.

-Klauss

gmcttr
07-28-2014, 20:36
Please let the discussion of firearms end here. Thank you.

HF Terms of Service..."IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster."

CountryRoads
07-28-2014, 22:14
Please let the discussion of firearms end here. Thank you.

HF Terms of Service..."IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster."
Sorry gmcttr. I was aware of that rule per other posts in this thread and understand the need for such rules. I was trying to be discreet. Discussion ends here.

grannypat
07-28-2014, 22:27
I'm sorry.

Insaniac99
07-28-2014, 22:54
I hope I am not violating the rule, but I suggest bear spray for Self-defense if you can't get pepper spray. The reason is that if your actions ever come under scrutiny in a court of law then the use of those products are easier to defend the deployment. A knife, even only brandished constitutes a lethal weapon and has a much higher standard of proof to show that it was necessary than using pepper or bear spray.

gmcttr
07-28-2014, 23:40
Sorry gmcttr. I was aware of that rule per other posts in this thread and understand the need for such rules. I was trying to be discreet. Discussion ends here.

I'm sorry.

Not a problem. Considering the topic, I thought a few references were appropriate, but it appeared headed over the line.

Klaussinator
07-29-2014, 19:03
See what happens when I go bustin up in the womens thread?!? Had my wife seen me typing, she would have warned me against it. :lol:

Sorry, but the issue is near and dear to my heart. Bottom line -- we all need to be prepared and be observant when we're out enjoying nature. Each of us must find his or her own way to do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm retreating to the "man side" of the forum where I belong...

-Klauss

CountryRoads
07-29-2014, 20:03
I for one am glad men are commenting on this thread. You're welcome here Klauss!

Adahy
07-29-2014, 20:22
I for one am glad men are commenting on this thread. You're welcome here Klauss!

Well, we do care.... now I'll be sliding back to the other side as well! ;)

carmen2kayak
07-29-2014, 21:40
Countryroads - glad you were able to get away safely. I had a similar experience with someone appearing to follow me. To keep them from following you home, you could drive to your nearest police station. That should shake the "bad guy/gal".

grannypat
07-30-2014, 13:01
See what happens when I go bustin up in the womens thread?!? Had my wife seen me typing, she would have warned me against it. :lol:

Sorry, but the issue is near and dear to my heart. Bottom line -- we all need to be prepared and be observant when we're out enjoying nature. Each of us must find his or her own way to do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm retreating to the "man side" of the forum where I belong...

-Klauss

I think it is fine that guys visit. Many are trying to get their wives, daughters, girlfriends, etc. into the woods and they have questions on how to resolve certain issues. Just be warned, guys, that you may be embarrassed here.:)

CountryRoads
07-30-2014, 15:02
Countryroads - glad you were able to get away safely. I had a similar experience with someone appearing to follow me. To keep them from following you home, you could drive to your nearest police station. That should shake the "bad guy/gal".Good idea. I happened to be a 5 min walk from my house that's why I waited around so long to shake that guy, and I did, watched him head into town and I went the opposite direction. I'm still shaken up. I don't know if I'll ever hike there again. What was so scary was that he knew he was freaking me out and seemed to enjoy that, and just that empty stare he gave me. Creepy! He wanted to be the one following me...he must have only went a short ways down the side trail then turned around and came back on the main trail so he could follow me. Also he must turned around almost immediately after I passed him on my way out, then popping out right by the bridge (just a walking bridge). The more I think about it the more I feel like I really dodged a bullet. BE CAREFUL WOMEN! Hike with a friend! Be hyper vigilant!

Just be warned, guys, that you may be embarrassed here.:):lol::lol::lol:

Singingcrowsings
07-30-2014, 16:09
Hey everyone!

I'm normally a soloist. I haven't camped with people for a long time, but if I do, I go with people I'm comfortable with and trust them to avert their eyes if I am peeing or changing. However, if I do go with a group I am not so intimate with and am in my hammock, I'll change in the hammock itself. I sit and put my pants on all the time in my Mayan, so it wouldn't be an issue with me.

I try to be as stealth as possible. Most people have boundaries, see a campsite and move on, but not everyone does, especially those who have been drinking, or have bad intentions. And not everyone equates a hammock to being a campsite, and they approach out of curiosity, kind of wanting to see or maybe even try it out? So out of site, out of mind is what I'm going for there. And honestly, some men have boundaries with men, but not with women, and will approach in a way they wouldn't with men. If I hear anyone settle near my site, I move quickly and quietly before they discover me. One of the things that drew me to hammocks in the first place was the ease of set-up / takedown and their stealthiness (is that a word?), for this very purpose.

As far as being in an unsafe situation, I have also been followed on a trail, and there were other people, but the guy was waiting for that one moment there wouldn't be. The second time I saw him, I called him on what he was doing. The third time, when he jumped into the bush right beside me, I yelled at him and then ran to a main area of the park where I knew people would be. His face will forever be imprinted on my mind.

My biggest advice as far as self defence is concerned, is if you go alone, have no injuries whatsoever, be able to run, listen to your instincts, use your voice, and if need be, bear spray, and run again. If he gets close enough, take his picture, I've heard that freaks them out enough for them to stop, but that's more in the city, not sure if it would apply in the woods. However, at least there's evidence.

And GrannyPat, congrats on the Gatorade bottle achievement! Ha ha! ;)

MightyMouse
07-30-2014, 16:18
I am 4'11", 109lbs and the nice man made my 0* Burrow just my size. So did the nice man at ULA who made my small Camino panel loader. Love those guys. Hope to meet them some day. My Blackbird fits fine, far as I can tell. I have a big tarp, capable of doors when needed, and the last thing I worry about "out in Nature" is someone getting a look at my aging skin when I change clothes.

As for relieving myself, I hike in a sport kilt so 'dropping my drawers' is unnecessary. Being "of a certain age" I have no worries about what day of the month it is anymore.

I have adapted Mad777's cleanup routine the last year, and am very happy with it. I 'bathe' with no-rinse shampoo and also clean my hair as well as I can. Then I change into camp clothes. Underclothing is washed every evening, camp clothes are the only thing I wear into the hammock, and only if necessary.

Granted, the longest I've been out was 5 days, but it works for me so far.

nc_robin
07-30-2014, 17:15
MightyMouse, can you say more about your 'sport kilt'? Or point me to a website? Never thought about such a thing but I can see a lot of advantages. Thanks!

grannypat
07-30-2014, 18:59
Cali, from SC. hikes in a kilt too.

grannypat
07-30-2014, 19:01
And GrannyPat, congrats on the Gatorade bottle achievement! Ha ha! ;)

I wouldn't try it if I'd been drinking!

Silvertip47203
07-30-2014, 21:46
Maybe I missed it but did you report this incident to the authorities? Give decription of creepy guy? They would probably be willing to step up patrol in the area I would guess. Do you carry mace and have you thought about a self defense class through local law enforcement? I hate to hear this. Dont let it stop you from going where you want to go. Be prepared. I have a young daughter and I fear for her too now that she is growing older and wanting to do more without dad. Im trying to teach her about these situations. I wish you the best and be safe.

CountryRoads
07-31-2014, 09:00
Maybe I missed it but did you report this incident to the authorities? Give decription of creepy guy? They would probably be willing to step up patrol in the area I would guess. Do you carry mace and have you thought about a self defense class through local law enforcement? I hate to hear this. Dont let it stop you from going where you want to go. Be prepared. I have a young daughter and I fear for her too now that she is growing older and wanting to do more without dad. Im trying to teach her about these situations. I wish you the best and be safe.I didn't report it, but maybe I will now that you mention that. I have mace and will carry that from now on, along with other forms of self protection. And after that experience I have been thinking about a self defense class. Teach your daughter well, she'll listen.

erinkae
07-31-2014, 12:47
Anyone (hey, from men too!) have any other safety ideas? Had a bad experience and now I want to be way more prepared.

I was hiking solo the other day, going to find a nice spot by the river and chill in my hammock for a bit, but ended up having the scariest experience I've ever had on the trail! I intentionally stalled starting on the trail because there was a guy heading in close to me and I wanted to hike alone. He seemed friendly, acknowledged me, was walking his dog and had a wooden hiking staff, I didn't have any concerns about him, just wanted to hike alone.

So, I was still prob a quarter mile from the trail head, with a clear line of site, watched the guy with the dog go in and as he did another guy walked out. I didn't think anything of it, but 5 or so min later when I got to the trail head and started in, the guy who had just come off the trail was still hovering there. He gave me a weird expressionless look, looked right at me but didn't really acknowledge me. Then he followed me onto the trail, was like 5 steps behind me, and this is a dark trail, with 60 foot drop offs on one side. I stopped, turned around and gave him a "you're freakin me out look" but that didn't seem to register with him so I did it again and he kept coming. So I stopped and acted like I was just looking at the river for a bit and he passed me.

I seriously went against my gut feeling to not hike that trail then. But I let him get a ways ahead and headed in. I could still see him. Then he veered off onto a side trail that doesn't go anywhere other than back onto the main trail. I got more afraid at this point, went another 30 steps or so, then decided I needed to get out of there, now! I hadn't gotten to the point where that side trail meets up again with the main trail, and as I'm heading out I see him coming towards me again. It was a deer in the headlights moment. He looked right at me and gave me that same almost blank look and as I was about 10 feet from him he started digging around in his pocket. Seemed like he was trying to rattle me. I passed him without incident and seriously double timed it back out, sure enough he popped out 5 min after me.

At this point I was within ears shot of people, near some athletic fields and a track, so I was relieved but didn't want him to follow me home, so I sat by the track. And now that guy started walking the track. He made two full laps before leaving. I watched him walk a few hundred feet, cross the bridge over the river, then I couldn't see anymore.

So, I figured it was safe and headed home, but sure enough, as soon as I crossed the bridge, he popped out 10 feet from me on a trail along the other side of the river! Could this all be a coincidence?! There were other people around at this point. I was prob 75 feet from a road, so I wasn't fearing for my life like before, but I don't think I've ever been that scared! I wish I would have hiked in with the guy with the dog!

Sorry that was so long winded. Here's one good tip that I've learned (well, ONE, LISTEN TO YOUR GUT!) and also carry your knife backwards with the dull end pressed right against your wrist, and the sharp side out. If someone tries to grab you, they'll probably grab your wrists. If you do that you can slice their hand and then go for the neck or groin! That's a good tip for dark streets and parking lots too.

I learned when I was little to always have my head on a swivel. It has saved me from danger many times and I pray that it continues to do so. I am happy to hear that you are safe and you trusted your gut. Majority of the time I did encounter dangerous situations I trusted my gut. When your body senses danger it has all sorts of alarms that kick in. But you have to remain calm and rational to try to get yourself out of what you might be in. I always carry some form of protection with me in an easy to access place on my body. My pack also has a built in whistle...its pretty loud. Be safe and observant :) It's a scary world out there. As for the changing part....I just change in my hammock. Usually its under a tarp. But if I know I am going to be out longer than a day I will have pant/shorts--where pants zip off into shorts. Makes it easier then trying to dance in to pants after waking up or before going to sleep.

erinkae
07-31-2014, 13:11
Oh I forgot to mention...My company had a seminar we went to for an app called MyForce. I am not sure if you were in an area with cell reception...but this is an awesome app to have if you are often out on your own or even if you are not. http://myforce.com/ --Granted it is $14.99/mth-- Just another safety thought to consider...

Insaniac99
07-31-2014, 13:27
Please be aware that not all "self-defense" classes are created equal, many will give you terrible advice that if you employ will likely wind you up in jail. I'm not saying don't go to one, I'm saying be careful about which one you go to and do your research. This is the website of Marc MacYoung (http://nononsenseselfdefense.com/index.html), a noted author, instructor, professional witness, and generally considered one of the top experts on self-defense. He is also helpful and will suggest other quality places to go that won't teach you stuff that will end with you dead or in jail.

He talks a lot about the realities and practicalities of self-defense, including avoiding a physical confrontation in the first place and dealing with the aftermath in the courts because claiming self-defense is saying you are guilty but you were justified to do it and most self-defense pleas fall through.

So do take self-defense classes, but take them from someplace respectable that won't give you terrible advice.

CountryRoads
07-31-2014, 14:00
That looks like a really good site Insaniac99. I'll spend some more time on there later. Thanks. I did file a police report. I'm kickin myself for not taking a picture when he was walking the track. The local police department said look into the RAD program.

Buckeye Bill
07-31-2014, 14:04
Country Road

I have been following this thread from the beginning. As a former law enforcement officer I am very familiar with MACE and its effect on people. Mace comes out in a stream and you have to be within 5-8 feet of the subject for good accuracy. If you carry a small container, I suggest spraying the entire contents on the subject then running like hell. Let them worry about flushing their eyes out.

Bear spray on the other hand is basically the same chemical substance as Mace, but is packaged in larger containers. Some states you would pass thru on a thru hike have laws against carrying Mace, but bear spray is okay. Bear spray comes out as a fog and is effective out to 15 feet. Again spray the subject then run like hell. Personally I would carry bear spray over Mace while hiking. YMMV. I am sorry you had to go through something like that and do hope you contact the authorities where it occurred.

CountryRoads
07-31-2014, 15:34
I'll get some bear spray. Thanks. I hope I didn't cause this thread to get too far off the topic of hammocks. We can resume the Gatorade bottle discussion any time... Thanks for all the input and I hope we're all a little more vigilant about safety.

MightyMouse
07-31-2014, 15:52
MightyMouse, can you say more about your 'sport kilt'? Or point me to a website? Never thought about such a thing but I can see a lot of advantages. Thanks!

nc_robin, mine is Mountain Hardware brand. Duffy got it for me in about 2005, I think? Checking their website, I don't find one like it at all...but it's a combination of the men's kilt (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MountainHardwear_US-Site/default/Search-Show?q=kilt) and the women's Trekkin Skirt (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/womens-yuma-trekkin-skirt-OL5221.html?colorID=203). I can't seem to hike in pants or shorts anymore at all, and have given up trying. I am in the process of shortening it, as the length has become more of a hindrance than a help. I thought long and hard about switching to a little golf skirt or something similar, but I use the pockets on the kilt for my camera and my pocket knife -- and the material is tough as nails while still being drip dry.

Silvertip47203
07-31-2014, 16:57
Just a quick note, if you think a situation is going to call for mace or bear spray, try and be aware of the wind. You dont want it coming back at you. Things could happen fast. Something to think about.

CountryRoads
07-31-2014, 18:14
Just a quick note, if you think a situation is going to call for mace or bear spray, try and be aware of the wind. You dont want it coming back at you. Things could happen fast. Something to think about.
Yep, I've been trained on how to use it. Spray, step back and to the side. Thanks.

nc_robin
08-01-2014, 10:40
MightyMouse, I did a google search and found these:
http://sportkilt.com/category/11/Women%27s-Kilts.html
would be interesting to know how they fare... when hiking with a kilt, do you just deal with more, um, mosquito exposure?

PTAaron
08-01-2014, 11:33
would be interesting to know how they fare... when hiking with a kilt, do you just deal with more, um, mosquito exposure?

I've been following this thread to get ideas for my wife... and I can maybe help answer this one.
As a guy that hikes in a kilt I haven't had an problems with "extra mosquito exposure" - I usually just spray my lower legs and spray the bottom edge of the kilt with bug spray and bugs don't tend to fly up the kilt.
Sportkilt.com kilts are great by the way.

lilprincess
08-01-2014, 11:49
I've been hiking with a sports skort and really like it. The only problem I have is the scratched up legs. I've been wearing hiking tights under them and really like that combo. Nighthauk is thinking about getting me a kilt too.

MightyMouse
08-01-2014, 19:23

I haven't had any trouble with mosquitos. I carry DEET, but have only used it twice, I think. The blood-thirsty vines in Central Florida have left permanent scars...but the trade-off is one I'm not willing to make.
:shades:

Syrrka
08-01-2014, 20:27
As for relieving myself, I hike in a sport kilt so 'dropping my drawers' is unnecessary.

So do you go "commando style", so to speak or do you just pull your undies over to one side?
I like skirts, but don't like hiking in shorts as I get a lot of scratches. What are some of the other advantages of a kilt? Ventilation? No "monkey butt?" Easier to cross a stream? Why do you refuse to hike in pants?
Curious….
Thanks!

Syrrka
08-01-2014, 20:44
I am 5 ft tall, and just bought an UGQ ¾ zeppelin UQ. It works perfect! I have a small GoLite Jam 50 liter and a small size Big Agnes Fria. i am a happy camper. Not hard to find small stuff nowadays, just need to look a little harder. I usually wear kids XL technical hiking clothing tho. Cheaper and works well. I love my REI kids convertible pants and the long sleeve shirt…and my kids trekking poles…..:)

Maybe because I am small, I have no trouble changing clothes while in my hammock. Privacy hasn't been an issue for me yet. There has been some wonderful ideas on this thread. Lots of things to think about.

Syrrka
08-01-2014, 23:55
Sportkilt.com kilts are great by the way.

Do you have the standard sports kilt made from the poly-blend fabric or do you have the micro-fiber hiking kilt? Do you have pockets on it?

PTAaron
08-02-2014, 09:25
Do you have the standard sports kilt made from the poly-blend fabric or do you have the micro-fiber hiking kilt? Do you have pockets on it?

There used to be a "hiking kilts" thread on here that had a ton of information in it, but I can't seem to locate it... strange.

I hike in a kilt from 5.11 that is a heavy ripstop type fabric that is teflon impregnated and has cargo pockets. I use the pockets for grabbing up tinder and for toting snacks.

The Sportkilt I have is a "Comfy Kilt" - it is actually made out of flannel... perfect to throw on at night when lounging around the house, so that doesn't help this discussion much.

I know the standard Sportkilt gets a lot of praise from runners, hikers, and people just looking for an inexpensive easy kilt. The standard fabric they use is supposed to be really easy to clean - that makes it popular for people that do mud runs.

Hope that helps. I just wish I could figure out where that hiking kilt thread went.

EDIT: I figured it out - it is in the "off topic donating members" section, and my membership had expired.

MightyMouse
08-02-2014, 15:04
So do you go "commando style", so to speak or do you just pull your undies over to one side?
I like skirts, but don't like hiking in shorts as I get a lot of scratches. What are some of the other advantages of a kilt? Ventilation? No "monkey butt?" Easier to cross a stream? Why do you refuse to hike in pants?
Curious….
Thanks!

When we encountered unseasonably hot weather on the Foothills Trail in Carolina a few years back, yes, I did go commando. It depends on weather, really. I use both of the options you mention.

No 'monkey butt.' Air flow. No chafing. But mostly, I tend to just DIE from the heat. Skirt lets me stay cool. I have some footless tights to wear if it's really cold - but I have to be able to take 'em off after the first 10 minutes, cuz that's how long it takes me to warm up. I don't hike in real Winter conditions, so staying cool is much more top of mind than staying warm. My internal thermostat is busted, and regulating body heat is a real pain... Poor Duffy spends a lot of time waiting for me to change or remove clothing...

:blush:

Syrrka
08-04-2014, 12:26
When we encountered unseasonably hot weather on the Foothills Trail in Carolina a few years back, yes, I did go commando. It depends on weather, really. I use both of the options you mention.

No 'monkey butt.' Air flow. No chafing. But mostly, I tend to just DIE from the heat. Skirt lets me stay cool. I have some footless tights to wear if it's really cold - but I have to be able to take 'em off after the first 10 minutes, cuz that's how long it takes me to warm up. I don't hike in real Winter conditions, so staying cool is much more top of mind than staying warm. My internal thermostat is busted, and regulating body heat is a real pain... Poor Duffy spends a lot of time waiting for me to change or remove clothing...

:blush:

Thanks. I don't do well in heat either, that is one reason I like Colorado so well. I think I'm going to try it out. Was looking at a sport kilt and then found an Etsy vendor that sells adventure skirts. She designed them after wishing she had a skirt on the Appalachian Trail. They have pockets! :boggle:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197876862/activewear-hiking-skirt-with-yoga-style?ref=listing-shop-header-2

CountryRoads
08-04-2014, 13:08
They have pockets! :boggle:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197876862/activewear-hiking-skirt-with-yoga-style?ref=listing-shop-header-2I'm not a skirt woman, but the kilt discussion makes me curious. I buy men's pants because they have more and bigger pockets. Why do they think because I'm a woman that I don't need pockets?!

Buckeye Bill
08-04-2014, 13:21
I'm not a skirt woman, but the kilt discussion makes me curious. I buy men's pants because they have more and bigger pockets. Why do they think because I'm a woman that I don't need pockets?!

Not being a sexist t*rd. but you usually carry a purse.

CountryRoads
08-04-2014, 13:42
Not being a sexist t*rd. but you usually carry a purse.
Personally, I don't, so pockets are important, but yes, I suppose most women do.

The Old Boot
08-04-2014, 14:05
A purse when I'm out backpacking....surely you jest!

The bugs are way too intense here to even think about bare legs let alone wearing a kilt or skirt. I use the cargo shorts/pants pattern from Green Pepper Inc. for all my hiking/sports pants.

By the 3rd pair I was eliminating the extra zippered back pockets because I never used them but I put the front double pockets to very good use all the time.

grannypat
08-04-2014, 14:19
I'm not a skirt woman, but the kilt discussion makes me curious. I buy men's pants because they have more and bigger pockets. Why do they think because I'm a woman that I don't need pockets?!

After losing things from the shallow pockets in my women's pants, I've started doing the same thing. I also wear these. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/terramar-body-sensors-boxer-briefs-tech-mesh-pro-jersey-for-men~p~4812n/?filterString=terramar~b~2010%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fsea rchwithin~underwear%2F&colorFamily=01

They are so much more comfortable than regular women's underwear and I don't seem to worry so much about someone seeing my underwear when i change clothes. You can't just pull them to the side though. You can use a She Wee.

CountryRoads
08-04-2014, 14:31
After losing things from the shallow pockets in my women's pants, I've started doing the same thing. I also wear these. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/terramar-body-sensors-boxer-briefs-tech-mesh-pro-jersey-for-men~p~4812n/?filterString=terramar~b~2010%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fsea rchwithin~underwear%2F&colorFamily=01

They are so much more comfortable than regular women's underwear and I don't seem to worry so much about someone seeing my underwear when i change clothes. You can't just pull them to the side though. You can use a She Wee.
Lol. I like you grannypat. I wear men's boxer briefs all the time. They're my go to hiking/camping underwear. I've gone swimming in them too, feel more like shorts than underwear, when you're swimming with other people. If I ever try a kilt, those will be the underwear!

grannypat
08-04-2014, 18:12
Lol. I like you grannypat. I wear men's boxer briefs all the time. They're my go to hiking/camping underwear. I've gone swimming in them too, feel more like shorts than underwear, when you're swimming with other people. If I ever try a kilt, those will be the underwear!

You know if they were made for women the cost would be $40!

CountryRoads
08-04-2014, 19:37
I use the cargo shorts/pants pattern from Green Pepper Inc. for all my hiking/sports pants.
I didn't realize until I looked at the site that these were just patterns, guess I skipped over that word when I first read it. Really customizable.

I made some stuff sacks that have two loops sewn on the top of them that a belt can go through, you can just add as many extra pockets as you want to your belt. We need to spread some love for pockets to designers of women's outdoor clothing!

You know if they were made for women the cost would be $40!You might be onto something. Women's boxer briefs with the fly down lower so you could push em aside and not risk mooning any unsuspecting hiker! They are definitely convenient for changing under a tarp.

poca
08-04-2014, 21:23
Just wanted thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've found it quite entertaining and enlightening! I actually had no idea people hiked in skirts at all. For me the bugs would be too much of an issue but it makes sense got lots of other reasons.

After losing things from the shallow pockets in my women's pants, I've started doing the same thing.

I'm totally with you here! I've lost 2 phones into the toilet because they fell out of the way too small pockets in my jeans! I hate carrying a purse sometimes and would love full-sized pockets too.

Beckyinma
10-03-2014, 10:37
You might be onto something. Women's boxer briefs with the fly down lower so you could push em aside and not risk mooning any unsuspecting hiker! They are definitely convenient for changing under a tarp.

Why I always wear my UA compression shorts under shorts/uniform for Boy Scouting events. I can change my top easily if my sweater is big enough, without flashing anyone even my abdomen, but the bottoms are tricky. If I'm not using a tarp, I can change bottoms inside my hammock, under my tq. Funny thing, it's easier getting out of my skivvies than getting back into the fresh pair... what is up with that?

I also made my tarp with fold-in ends/doors for this particular reason, for far more privacy. My son has a hex and changed in the open in the dark no problem, but was concerned about changing during the day, but I doubt he changed his skivvies at all the weekend we went on the last campout. EWW LMAO!

lilprincess
10-03-2014, 16:07
I also made my tarp with fold-in ends/doors for this particular reason, for far more privacy. My son has a hex and changed in the open in the dark no problem, but was concerned about changing during the day, but I doubt he changed his skivvies at all the weekend we went on the last campout. EWW LMAO!

My sister in law asked me once if scouts brush their teeth when they camp and I said "honey they don't even change their underwear!" Boys! Lol

Beckyinma
10-12-2014, 20:03
My sister in law asked me once if scouts brush their teeth when they camp and I said "honey they don't even change their underwear!" Boys! Lol

Greater truths were never spoken! Lmao! At our camp some scoutmasters make the boys shower on Wednesday before the parents visit for campfire. Smart idea!

grannypat
10-30-2014, 10:43
Just saw this on FB. Looks like a wonderful way to change in the wild:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/denniscaco/the-undress-change-clothes-in-public-without-getti

hutzelbein
10-30-2014, 11:57
Just saw this on FB. Looks like a wonderful way to change in the wild:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/denniscaco/the-undress-change-clothes-in-public-without-getti

That's cool! Now, can they design an undress rain poncho? :lol:

gmcttr
10-30-2014, 12:01
That's cool! Now, can they design an undress rain poncho? :lol:

Great idea in silnylon, but I don't suppose that would sell well in cuben fiber.:laugh:

ShooTa
10-30-2014, 12:12
could you not use something like the beach towel poncho/mexian throw that surfers use? would be dual use as a towl aswell i guess and mebe add a belt - wash day clothing.

hutzelbein
10-30-2014, 12:29
could you not use something like the beach towel poncho/mexian throw that surfers use? would be dual use as a towl aswell i guess and mebe add a belt - wash day clothing.

Have you watched the video? Have you ever tried changing under a towel? To be usable for changing, the towel needs to be huge (= heavy). My hiking towel is about 11"x8"... I'm not *that* small :lol:

grannypat
10-30-2014, 18:45
Great idea in silnylon, but I don't suppose that would sell well in cuben fiber.:laugh:

No, I don't think cuben fiber would be a good idea.:)

ShooTa
10-31-2014, 05:19
i confess at the time of writing i had not seen the video - I have now.
as for the towel changing - i am a male - but i have often changed in the surfer poncho when getting out of a wetsuit on a beach - and the surf ones are very light - think travel towel material.

the undress actually looks really neat -

could someone not make a black version out of silnylon and zingit?

gmcttr
12-05-2014, 09:36
Bump for newer members that may not know this thread exists.

Syrrka
12-05-2014, 15:49
So after hiking in my Purple Rain Adventure Skirt, I discovered my thighs were rubbing together. ouch. Read this thread some more and went and bought some men's boxer briefs. Problem solved. Thanks. Discovered that skirts are great for changing into and out of long johns in the evening/morning. Helps with the privacy issue.

Just made a Deep Purple HyperD hammock…wow :boggle: wonderfully soft, lightweight, easy to sew. I like it a lot better than my tablecloth ones. Do you ladies prefer color or camo fabric for your hammocks, tarps, etc.

Chris183
12-05-2014, 16:43
18 pages and my wife still hasn't chimed in yet. hmmm :lol:

lilprincess
12-05-2014, 16:54
Had the same problem with skirts. Bought a nice under armor heat gear, capris leggings and I loved them. Got them at an end of summer sale. Glad to hear it worked out. Chaffing is never fun. ;)

I like my purple hammock and tarp. I can always find it after I go find a squatting spot.

Chris183, tell her we won't bite. ;)

IRONFISH45
12-05-2014, 18:30
I buy Junonia sports wear, it is for the over size 12 group. I like the clothing because it fits, is functional and lasts forever. It is for active women, who move and do things. I did have a problem with chafing in the Summer where the weather is humid, I found Junonia clothing works great, no more chafing, swimsuits support breasts and some are very modest.

I do sometimes wear skirts over tights or exercise leggings, since I do get cold easily. I only buy clothing that is comfortable and functional. I love all the new improvements in fabrics, especially material with wicking properties. I discovered boxers when I had my leg in a cast over the summer, the cast and the splint rubbed holes in my skin until I smartened up.

MuleTeam
12-05-2014, 20:29
Syrrka, just got my Purple HyperD fabric from Dutch and cannot wait to get my thread injector out and start sewing. Amazing feel to this fabric! Honestly, I usually prefer more stealthy colors for backpacking, but who could resist such a delicious color!
Btw, love hearing from other women on this forum and thanks gmcttr for the bump!

Syrrka
12-06-2014, 01:20
Syrrka, just got my Purple HyperD fabric from Dutch and cannot wait to get my thread injector out and start sewing. Amazing feel to this fabric! Honestly, I usually prefer more stealthy colors for backpacking, but who could resist such a delicious color!
Btw, love hearing from other women on this forum and thanks gmcttr for the bump!

Yeah, that color is amazing. I got my HyperD from Ripstop by the Roll. I got some purple Argon 90 from Dutch to make some Freezer Flaps. If Warbonnet made a purple BB, I would so buy it! My hammock is purple, my UQ is orange, my tarp is a green Eno Profly. When everything is all set up, the tarp covers most everything, so it still kinda blends in… I think that as long as you have a tarp that is "low impact colors" the rest of your setup can be really colorful. YMMV.

Kiwii
12-07-2014, 17:29
Thanks for bumping this thread awesome thread as I've found it very interesting!

I personally prefer colours that blend with the environment, typically hike in mens cargo pants (love those deep pockets) then change into leggins & an Indian wrap-skirt (lightweight cotton) that's quick to dry and easy to change under - tie around neck as a dress and change just like in that kickstarter video / pull a new tshirt over it then just untie & it slips off .. Oh and use a she-wee ;)

Safety is definitely a concern to me as a solo female too, but I also like to feel 'alone' in nature so just going with others isn't an option .. Unfortunately dogs aren't permitted on tracks down here either, so to counter the fear I set-up hidden a little off-track or away from the designated camp-spots, will boil water or cook with stove but don't light a fire, only use headlamp when really necessary and on the red mode (much better if star-gazing anyway), and am up and away early making sure to leave no trace that I was ever there ..

Singingcrowsings
01-03-2015, 13:44
I have more of a mentality question...

I keep reading posts by men stating that they have to convince their girlfriends or wives to even consider hammocking. I never quite got that.

Did you have to be "convinced"? What was your perception of hanging before you tried?

Personally, as soon as I saw it, I just thought it made sense.

grannypat
01-03-2015, 14:58

I keep reading posts by men stating that they have to convince their girlfriends or wives to even consider hammocking. I never quite got that.

Did you have to be "convinced"? What was your perception of hanging before you tried?

I don't know, but some women just don't like camping at all and may not feel safe in the hammock. I got in to hammocking and still haven't convinced my husband to come with me. I think I 'm getting closer though.

lilprincess
01-03-2015, 15:21
I didn't take much convincing. I just waited until Nighthauk fixed all the bugs in his system and took off from there. ;)

Singingcrowsings
01-03-2015, 17:26
I don't know, but some women just don't like camping at all and may not feel safe in the hammock. I got in to hammocking and still haven't convinced my husband to come with me. I think I 'm getting closer though.

This is true, but some of the the women they're talking about seem to like camping, so it doesn't seem to be as simple as that.

Good luck with our husband! Ha ha!

I didn't take much convincing. I just waited until Nighthauk fixed all the bugs in his system and took off from there. ;)

That's certainly one way to do it. Ha ha!

The Old Boot
01-03-2015, 17:56

My perception was exactly what it turned out to be - the greatest way on earth for me to be able to get back out into the backcountry. I hadn't interior camped for 35 years because there was just no way I could sleep on the ground. I was exploring the WhiteBlaze site when I ran into the hammocking section...game over!!

I will tell you that there is no way I could ever be 'convinced' to sleep any other way!

cougarmeat
01-03-2015, 20:05
My housemate was convinced she couldn't sleep in a hammock so I'd spend many a warm afternoon gentle rocking the hammock as she "napped" - apparently different from sleeping. Then she thought she'd be claustrophobic. But when given a choice between an open gathered end hammock or the Ridge Runner with its full coverage bug net, she chose the Ridge Runner and loved it.

Singingcrowsings
01-11-2015, 12:24
My perception was exactly what it turned out to be - the greatest way on earth for me to be able to get back out into the backcountry. I hadn't interior camped for 35 years because there was just no way I could sleep on the ground. I was exploring the WhiteBlaze site when I ran into the hammocking section...game over!!

I will tell you that there is no way I could ever be 'convinced' to sleep any other way!

I know what you mean, Old Boot (I feel so strange calling you that!). My coccyx is currently dislocated and the hammock is the only place I can lay down in and not be in pain. So I can easily imagine having other issues that are more chronic and discovering hanging!

My housemate was convinced she couldn't sleep in a hammock so I'd spend many a warm afternoon gentle rocking the hammock as she "napped" - apparently different from sleeping. Then she thought she'd be claustrophobic. But when given a choice between an open gathered end hammock or the Ridge Runner with its full coverage bug net, she chose the Ridge Runner and loved it.

Thanks for this designer. It's certainly one person's experience, as I've read of men here on this thread worried they'd be claustrophobic, as well.

I guess my point in asking was in wanting to hear women's perspectives from their own mouths, as in, do they need to be convinced, or just wanting more information before they dive in? And since we have this handy thread here.... :D

okiwen
01-11-2015, 16:18
There is a product called the "undress". It is a garment that you can change "IN". Kinda convenient on the beach too.

Kitsune06
02-07-2015, 17:31
Hi, ladies! I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but i've been reading the forums a lot. I would like to contribute to the kilt portion of the discussion- I love my utilikilt. I've had it for about 10 years and it's become an indispensable part of my summer festing and camping kit for all the reasons mentioned previously. I've even been known to lay it open over my sleeping bag at night for a little more insulation. I'm curious to try the nalgene bottle thing, or if i'm brave enough, the gatorade bottle thing... I've been using a travelmate, but it's not as errorproof as I'd like. At all. :/ so i'm looking into the other suggestions on here, too. Thanks for being a great resource!

grannypat
06-27-2015, 11:54
Just saw this on the Gossamer Gear Newsletter and thought I'd pass the info. along.

http://gossamergear.com/feminine-hygiene-disposal-pouch.html?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers+-+Combined&utm_campaign=2a1251927a-GG_6_26_156_25_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bda6bed9e7-2a1251927a-233401277&mc_cid=2a1251927a&mc_eid=72cf4a1611

LokoLobo
06-28-2015, 12:04
http://www.TheUndress.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dy-Mjp2Hh7k

jane.cassidy
08-18-2015, 16:57
I thought it would be cool, but I was afraid my back wouldn't like it. My kids got into it so I got to try their 3 styles of hammock. As it turns out my hammocks are the only thing I sleep in or on and wake WITHOUT pain, so if I weren't hooked for other reasons, I would be for that reason.
Gypsy Jane

Chigger
08-19-2015, 09:25
Hello ladies and gents, I would love to have a thread that talks about how we have do some things differently than our dear gentlemen. For instance: do you even fully change in the woods? In your hammock.
My longest trip has only been three days. I can totally live with staying in the same clothes up top for that long. In the fall I'll be out for a week or more. How do you discretely change your short and bra in the hammock?

I don't have any answers but our daughter might. She was Kim MacAfee in Bye Bye Birdie her Senior year in high school and did a complete wardrobe change on stage while singing. I will ask her.

Campdavid
08-19-2015, 14:55
I'm a guy so I guess maybe I cannot understand but...never thought about it being a big deal. So what, someone sees you in the buff from a distance for a second or two. Unless you ladies are doing a dance routine or gymnastics or something while changing, how long a flash would anyone see anyway. Maybe I have spent too much time in Europe. :shades:

lilprincess
08-19-2015, 14:56
I am also a boy scout leader, so that complicates things a little. I've bed. Pitching my big tarp even on sunny days and using that.

cataraftgirl
08-20-2015, 17:02
We have a saying on river rafting trips......you don't have privacy, you give privacy. I just ask folks to turn their backs for a few minutes. You can also lower your tarp down to make a changing room.

sjlawrence
09-25-2015, 07:59
Just wondering what backpack my fellow lady hikers use. For day hikes I currently use a Deuter ACT Trail 28 SL. I just sold my Viva 65. I'm trying out a Deuter ACT Zero 45+15 SL. It rides great but I have 2 major issues with it...1. Only 1 small hipbelt pocket & 2. I can't get the water bottles out of the side pockets while the pack is on. Any suggestions for a different pack that doesn't weigh 5+ pounds?

(My current base weight without a pack or consumables is 16 pounds. I'm working on getting that down to approximately 12-13 pounds without pack.)

Playapixie
09-25-2015, 09:23
I love my ULA Circuit (with the S-straps.) It's light, it holds an impressive volume for a smaller lightweight pack (it'll fit a bear canister if you must), and it has lots of external pockets that are actually big enough to use. Most comfortable pack I've ever used. My base weight (including pack) with a hammock set-up and rain gear (Seattle area hiker; it's wet and cold here) is around 15-16 pounds.)
My last pack was a Deuter ACT 45+10. The ULA is substantially lighter, more comfortable, and easier to access gear in the outside pockets. Also, the Deuter is tall and skinny relative to the Circuit. The Circuit keeps more weight down on my hips and doesn't stick up behind my head even fully loaded; the volume sits lower in the pack.

I was nervous about buying this pack because I couldn't try it on first, but it fit great. You order with the harness and belt size you need following the instructions on their web site. I'm 5'3" and 105 lbs, and it fits great.

Rocket
09-25-2015, 10:28
1) Changing tip I learned from lady kayakers: Pack a floor-length broom-style hippie skirt (pick one up at a thrift store for a couple bucks if you don't already own one) and pull on over your wet / dirty bottoms. Remove bottoms and replace with clean and dry without exposing your backside. Then hike it up over your torso like a babydoll dress and repeat with your wet / dirty top. Works just like that un-dress thingy (http://www.theundress.com/), but much cheaper, and not a unitasker. Can also be worn around camp to let your nethers air out after a long paddle or hike.

2) Full-coverage sports bras (http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-active-mesh-bra-womens-pat2329?CMP_SKU=PAT2329) are practically tank tops anyway, so I feel comfortable just changing shirts in front of other hikers. Bra changes happen inside the shirt.

3) Bike shorts instead of regular underwear for the same reason. The more coverage you wear on your person, the less self-conscious you have to be about changing. Plus, no thigh chafing (still, don't forget to pack the bodyglide, ever).

4) I just bought a Clark Mark 2 (http://junglehammock.com/product/mark_2_bivy_ground_tent_camping_hammock/), and the tarp fits right over it, for perfect, non-see-thru changing privacy. The Lawson Blue Ridge has a similar design. Changing pants inside the hammock takes a bit of practice, but you can do it.

5) Hike / paddle / camp with other ladies. Even if you don't know each other well, you immediately get into that women's-locker-room mentality about changing, and if you need somebody to have your back when you're eliminating, or need help ditching a creeper, they know the deal.

sjlawrence
09-25-2015, 10:34
I've been eyeballing the Circuit for a while now. I'm leaning toward ordering one. Can't go wrong with their customer service and return policy.

Rocket
09-25-2015, 10:42
I'm also kind of stumped on the mechanics of the in-hammock chamber pots. What's your method? Kneeling? Do you move your bag out of the way in case of accidents?

lilprincess
09-28-2015, 11:44
Just wondering what backpack my fellow lady hikers use. For day hikes I currently use a Deuter ACT Trail 28 SL. I just sold my Viva 65. I'm trying out a Deuter ACT Zero 45+15 SL. It rides great but I have 2 major issues with it...1. Only 1 small hipbelt pocket & 2. I can't get the water bottles out of the side pockets while the pack is on. Any suggestions for a different pack that doesn't weigh 5+ pounds?

(My current base weight without a pack or consumables is 16 pounds. I'm working on getting that down to approximately 12-13 pounds without pack.)

Looking at the circuit for myself as well. I currently key have an osprey 45l. I like it but it's very heavy for it's size and doesn't have any hip pockets. I really like my husband and son's circuits. They even make a purple grid one.

Playapixie
09-28-2015, 11:56
The Circuit is a great pack, but you really really need a base weight under 20 pounds (including pack,) closer to 15 is much better. I've carried up to 30 pounds total in this pack, but it stops being comfortable after about 25. That doesn't leave much room for food and water weight if your base pack isn't truly in the lightweight range.

sagewind
01-04-2016, 15:41
Hi I am new to hammocks and was wondering how many other women were into it? Any in western pa and northern panhandle wv? Once I get all my gear I would love to try some group camping and to make new friends!

MomMeck
01-04-2016, 15:55
Not from western pa but sitting here in south central pa (AKA Amish country) Welcome! Keep an eye on the sub forum Hangouts-Campouts-and-Trip-Planning. Organized hangs are great to make new friends and check out all the different gear. Look out for the postings for Spring MAHHA. It is held at Pine Grove State Park (north of Gettysburg Pa) Or if you are up for some road trips there are plenty to choose from in NC,SC,NJ,FL,VA and the list goes on. Again welcome and have fun in your new adventure,or should I say addiction.

grannypat
01-04-2016, 18:13
More and more women are getting into hammocking, but men are still the majority involved in the camping method. That hasn't stopped me from going to group hangs. Lack of bathrooms are what keeps a lot of women away.

joanwest
01-09-2016, 21:27
Just discovered this thread-- love hearing the voices of all theses hammocking women out there!

Re. changing-- When I'm camping around guys I don't know well, I change when I go off to the bushes to go to the bathroom. On the PCT, I'd just step behind my hammock and the guys were very respectful about not looking-- the trail community is remarkable that way.

Re. personal safety-- I believe that hammocks provide an extra level of safety for the solo backpacker because they allow us to camp out of sight where no one would bother us, since we aren't restricted to level ground. I have a camo tarp and hammock for this reason, and also because if someone does see my hammock, I'd rather they assume its some guy's. After backpacking for many miles, I now feel much safer in the woods, but having the ability to stealth camp when I was first gaining confidence to go solo was a game changer for me.

Singingcrowsings
01-11-2016, 20:15
Re. personal safety-- I believe that hammocks provide an extra level of safety for the solo backpacker because they allow us to camp out of sight where no one would bother us, since we aren't restricted to level ground. I have a camo tarp and hammock for this reason, and also because if someone does see my hammock, I'd rather they assume its some guy's. After backpacking for many miles, I now feel much safer in the woods, but having the ability to stealth camp when I was first gaining confidence to go solo was a game changer for me.

I've been solo camping for 20 years and this past two years I have felt that extra level of freedom because of reasons you've stated above. My gear is all neutral stealth colours now. My first UQ is on it way as I write. Who'da thought I'd ever go camo??? :scared: But yeah, I don't need anyone approaching me. There are some whose boundaries disappear once they know it's a woman, and having a hammock seems to add to that in a way (extra curiosity). Plus the stealth colours, and the ability to hang in areas I could only dream with a tent, really add to that being a part of nature feeling, in a way my bright yellow tent did not.

Welcome to the thread! :)

xMagnolia
01-11-2016, 21:04
Hi! I just saw this thread and am amused since I was the only female to show up solo at the AL Fall group hang and just met a fellow forum member from another state for an overnight. I'm a middle aged, need to get out more than I do, lady without friends that can backpack with me right now. If I didn't go with strangers that I met on here, I'd never learn anything and I'd never get out.

I haven't had any trouble quietly sneaking off to my spot, my tarp pitched low, while others were busy elsewhere, to take care of my private business. Also, it does get pretty dark when the sun goes down, and indirect, dim light inside my hammock provides enough illumination to see what I need while I stand next to it but barely more than shadows for anyone else, especially if placed between me and the public, not behind me.

One of the things I like about my hammock & tarp, is that I don't feel so 'cut off' from the outside and if I get nervous about sounds, I can quickly flash my light or peek under the tarp without making obnoxious zipper sounds. It seems counterintuitive, but I feel safer because I don't feel trapped, sitting in a bubble without knowledge of the threat, like I would be in a tent.

I'd love to meet more female hangers, or help more wives get interested in getting involved. I'd even go along with families with kids. My girls grew up and now that they're in college in different states, don't hike or camp with me. They do love their ENOs, though, just in a different way, lol.

Charlotte

slugbait
01-12-2016, 12:24
Kudos to the mods for making this a sticky.

Country Roads
01-15-2016, 16:35
Hi I am new to hammocks and was wondering how many other women were into it? Any in western pa and northern panhandle wv? Once I get all my gear I would love to try some group camping and to make new friends!
I live in Preston Co, WV just below Fayette Co, PA and garrett Co, MD. Like to meet other women hangers too, although I certainly don't mind backpacking/camping with the guys.

Lady Di
01-17-2016, 18:03
depending on how you pitch your tarp, you can stand on the ground, inside the tarp and next to the hammock, and be shielded from all sides for the purpose of changing clothes. In the space between your tarp and your hammock. You have to pitch the tarp so that the ridgline is a bit high and then the sides are staked downward so you have a space to change in. I have a smaller tarp (a larger one would give me more room) but I have coverage down to about my knees or just below when I do this. Let me know if this makes sense.

Lady Di
01-17-2016, 18:08
There is space between your hammock and your tarp, where you can change clothes while standing on the ground. Pitch your tarp a bit lower on the sides. I have a small tarp, and it covers me down to a bit below my knees. I can't imagine trying to change clothes inside a hammock...

Medicine Woman
01-29-2016, 19:10
I have a winter seem tarp, so I just go inside Nd close the door. ;)
The other thing I do is use my large pack towel wrapped around me.

CHSGirl
02-02-2016, 10:25
I just sponsored this Kickstarter campaign for the UnDress https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/denniscaco/the-undress-version-2-sport with the beach and hammocking in mind. Looking forward to trying it out this summer.

mcspin50
02-06-2016, 23:08
Hi all,
I've hammock camped in the BWCAW on canoe trips the last two years with my sons, daughter-in-law, and friends. So much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground the first year. I just stand between my tarp and hammock to change clothes. Like Lady Di said, I can't imagine changing clothes inside a hammock. Sounds like a sweat-inducing wrestling match to me. :) I do have some Grizzbeaks to cover the ends in case I need a little more privacy.

Looking forward to warmer times when I can plan a 3-4 day trip to the Superior Hiking Trail. Will need to do a test run of packing my backpack, hiking in and hammock camping at one of the state parks near where I live - Maplewood or Glendalough.

I've done a day hike and also snowshoed wearing a hiking skirt. I like the freedom of movement it provides. Got my skirt from Purple Rain Adventure Skirts and really like the wide smooth waistband. Very comfortable.

bansheekitty
02-21-2016, 01:37

I also prefer camo colors for my gear for the same reason - harder to spot, and if it is spotted, it looks like it belongs to a guy - a tough guy who knows his way around the woods and is probably packing (or at least, that's what I hope people think). I did get pink accents on the Sparrow I just ordered, but they should be covered by my underquilt and underquilt poncho, not to mention my tarp. Someone would really have to be poking around in my stuff to see the pink.

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but as far as privacy:

1) Change lying down in the hammock. It isn't really that hard- just take a bit of care if you're in a bridge hammock to keep it balanced. Lift your butt up a bit to slide your pants past, and you can get changed easily.
2) Change underneath a nightgown or a poncho. When I'm car camping I like to be comfy and warm, so I wear a heavy, ankle-length nightgown to sleep in, which happens to be perfect for changing privately. I just change clothes completely under the nightgown. I can do the same thing with my Hill People Gear mountain serape. Even the smaller size serape goes down past my knees, so plenty of privacy.
3) Change under the tarp. Pitch it low, close the doors, and enjoy some privacy.
4) For the ultimate car-camping glamp experience, bring a pop-up privacy tent (you can even outfit it with a Luggable Loo). Change and do your business in peace and privacy.

Now here is a question for the ladies on this thread- has anyone managed to go to the bathroom in their hammock ala http://www.dutchwaregear.com/pee-bags.html? I thought that a Freshette plus a pee bag might make it possible- tricky to get into the right position in a hammock, but I gave it a go on a night when it was freezing outside and I didn't want to leave the warmth of the sock. It... did not go well. Never been so jealous of male urinary talents as I was at that moment! Wondering whether any ladies have tried this, and whether anyone has succeeded.

bansheekitty
02-21-2016, 02:04
Heh. Yeah. I've totally used the earplugs and a half of an ambien approach before, though I've questioned the wisdom of that bit of intoxication. But at the end of the day, I guess I fear no sleep more than I fear the boogeyman/bears/mountain lions/raccoons... ;-)

Definitely considering pepper-spray in a small (not bear-sized) quantity, though...

I do the same thing. I always sleep with ear plugs in the woods, otherwise every tiny little sound is either a grizzly bear or a guy sneaking up on my hammock. With ear plugs in though I'm fine (and I sleep with bear spray in the hammock).

bansheekitty
02-21-2016, 02:11

I got a personal locator beacon before my solo trip to Glacier National Park. It doesn't let you contact family back home, but it does let you alert authorities if you need to be rescued. I looked into the SPOT, especially since I know my mom would appreciate regular updates that I was fine, and I was definitely going to be out of cellphone range, but I read that the messages don't always send, and I knew she would be MUCH more worried if she was expecting a message that never arrived. The PLB seemed like a good investment though- good coverage (it depends on the satellite network used apparently), no subscription, and a five year battery. A no-brainer for someone who regularly hikes and camps solo in areas with no cell reception.

bansheekitty
02-21-2016, 02:26
Other than that I can't use top quilts because I sleep too cold. I generally have to carry *a lot* more insulation than a healthy guy my size would. I used my down vest a lot when hiking in the US last summer, and had a merino long sleeve in my pack, too. I'd love to see more products like the Exped Dreamwalker (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/sleepingbags/dreamwalker-650-m) - but unfortunately, those sleeping bags are way too heavy for the warmth they provide. I'm better off taking my warmer and lighter sleeping bag AND my down vest...

I thought it was just me! I am a *very* cold sleeper- a ridiculously cold sleeper. One time on a trail someone asked what was in the big pouches on my pack- they thought it was heavy-duty camera equipment. Nope- just all the extra insulation I carry! Even sleeping in my hammock indoors in 65-70 degree temps I snuggle up with my Arctic woobie. Otherwise I am too cold to sleep! On the trail I will have my underquilt, a space blanket between my hammock layers, my Arctic woobie, my Hill People gear mountain serape, and long underwear. And that's just to be comfortable down to freezing! When I read about what some of the guys on here wear in -20 temps, I just can't believe it!

bansheekitty
02-21-2016, 02:37
Oh, and in response to the woman who asked about periods in the woods: double zip-lock baggie with some baking soda inside. Store inside a non-see-through ditty bag and hang it with your food at night (mark it so it's clearly not something your companions will accidentally open when looking for snacks.) I've hiked in grizzly country with this method no problem. You can also use a diva cup or instead cup, but I find that difficult to manage in terms of hygiene/keeping the cup clean, so prefer tampons with the method above.

I second this. Pads/tampons and double bags with baking soda. I had the misfortune to schedule a week long hiking trip in Glacier National Park during a week when I got my period (my scheduling options were limited). There was a *lot* of grizzly activity in the park then- a couple campsites were closed for all but hard-sided campers and a guy had gotten mauled in Many Glacier literally the week before I camped there- but I was fine with the double bag and baking soda. And I got to see a grizzly bear eating a sheep so dealing with the hassle was well worth it!

The real key to dealing comfortably with your period in the woods though? Baby wipes. We all know that hygiene can be tricky during that time of the month, but baby wipes made clean-up easy. Just stick the used wipe in the bag with the pad when you're done. I like baby wipes specifically because they tend to be very gentle and don't cause irritation.

Kells
03-21-2016, 22:35
I started using a DivaCup maybe 6 months ago and I really like it. I havent gone camping or hiking while having to use it, but I feel like it wouldnt be too much of a hassle to clean it while out and about.

I also dont really care about changing while camping or hiking. I usually camp/hike with guys and if it bothers them they can go elsewhere. The only time I have to be knda careful is when Im camping in the back yard during the summer because the backdoor and next door neighbors have young boys and I doubt they'd enjoy having a semi-nude 20 year old in sight, even for a second. Then I just change in the hammock. I will usually store some clothes in between my UQ and hammock in the summer, doesnt really hamper the warming aspect of the underquilt much, for me anyway. Either that or in a stuffsack from the ridgeline of my tarp.

Singingcrowsings
03-22-2016, 06:55
As far as the Diva cup's concerned, I've been using it for 10 years, and it works just fine while camping, and no garbage with blood on it to carry around, which I'd prefer (I'm a solo through-hiker). You just need to make sure you empty it well away from your campsite, in a nice hole, rinse, and boil it when done. Much more secure in my eyes.

For those of you using the baking soda method, please use a LOC bag. They're not 100% odour proof, but, pretty close, and a lot better than a regular zip lock bag, even if double bagged. Plus, the baking soda might help where you're concerned, but it's not going to cut it as far as the wild life is concerned.

missmac
03-28-2016, 15:26
Hey ladies! I'm new to the hiking/hammock scene and am trying to get feedback on appropriate gear. I usually wear a 10-12 curvy pant and I'm thinking I'd like an elastic waistband for my new attire. What are some of your favorites or recommendations?

grannypat
03-28-2016, 16:37
Hey ladies! I'm new to the hiking/hammock scene and am trying to get feedback on appropriate gear. I usually wear a 10-12 curvy pant and I'm thinking I'd like an elastic waistband for my new attire. What are some of your favorites or recommendations?

I tend to load up my pockets and feel like my pants will fall down if I wear elastic waist pants. I like men's pants. More precise fit and length and more and deeper pockets.

Singingcrowsings
03-28-2016, 16:39
I tend to load up my pockets and feel like my pants will fall down if I wear elastic waist pants. I like men's pants. More precise fit and length and more and deeper pockets.

+1 Not to mention more durable.

Woodsie8
04-02-2016, 19:48
Any women in Oregon? Hang around the Mt Hood area?

ccolclou
04-02-2016, 22:06
Just to jump on the previous posts - I used a pair of women's hiking pants, but my there wasn't enough room in the thigh for taking a big step up a rock, etc on the trail. I also switched to men's pants, and they are so far much better in terms of cut and pockets - and I even prefer the color. I just got a pair of REI brand ones.

Singingcrowsings
04-05-2016, 07:41
Hey everyone!

I have hips that are pretty much equal to my shoulders/chest width-wise, but my booty adds another few inches circumference-wise, and I'm about to buy my first quilt, and as a side sleeper, need to keep this in mind. I don't have access to a lot of other hangers who could let me try their TQs, and since this isn't something men need to consider, generally, I thought I'd ask here:

Have any of found their tapered TQ just doesn't cover enough around the hips when they sleep on their sides and wish they got a TQ without any taper? Do I need to go wide, even though the widths are based on men's bodies? Or am I over analyzing this?

Thanks! :)

lilprincess
04-05-2016, 08:30
I had some special requests for my TQ and hammock gear was great at working with me. Sometimes that have some communication issues but if you keep trying they are worth the wait.

cataraftgirl
04-05-2016, 09:56
I use a regular sized TQ for summer, and I got a wide one for colder temps. I'm about 50/50 hammock & ground sleeper so I need extra coverage when it's cold.

slugbait
04-05-2016, 10:19
Take a blanket, fold and pin to the size and shape you're considering- then test.

Singingcrowsings
04-05-2016, 22:29
Thanks for answering, everyone.
I will have try the pinning a blanket thing. Thanks! :)

In the meantime, are any of your TQs tapered at all? Just so I know what to start with. I'm going with a Flight jacket, and they offer no taper, or tapered.

Karla "with a k"
04-12-2016, 21:19
I'm new. I've only hammocked one night in borrowed gear last weekend. 19 degrees overnight in a winter storm advisory with sleet and freezing rain in Wisconsin. So I don't have much hammock experience, but I just read all 24 pages of this thread and have this to add:

Privacy: Since I was winter camping, at home I dressed with my base layers and never planned to take those off. I changed under the tarp into my PJs, but with my base layers still on, I didn't care who was looking.

Underwear: Even while summer camping, sometimes I won't change my underwear. I just change pantyliners.

Male/Female Ratio: There were 16 people in our group hang. 3 were women. One married & two single gals.

Chafing: I use this. Less expensive than other brands and works just as good. 128607

Thank you for this much needed thread !!!!

kattdogg
04-13-2016, 02:06
Does anyone else have issues getting their butt to warm up in a under quilt?

And my take on the privacy... Aslong as no children are in the group is that everyone is an adult and if you haven't seen those kinds of parts yet then you live a very sheltered life. If I happen to see something like that on the trail or in camp i just keep it to myself.

lilprincess
04-13-2016, 06:51
I seem to have one spot or another that just won't warm up when it's cold at night. I usually have a wool sweatshirt or piece of reflectex that I use on the cold spot and that fixes it for me. And then there's my good friend, the hot water bottle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tweedle
04-21-2016, 13:17
I'm a relatively new hammocker, and I'd just like to say thank you for this thread. I saw a lot of good ideas, and now I need to go look for a kilt...

Rinko
04-22-2016, 01:10
Any women in Oregon? Hang around the Mt Hood area?

Yes, and yes. :)

Woodsie8
04-23-2016, 23:33
Awesome, Rinko!

lilprincess
04-24-2016, 13:20
Had another great "ladies only" hike. All eight of us hammocking, including four recent converts! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/522074cf3d267ddb75aedb46560bdbe0.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/567d2759229919d56cccc1f214d13242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsie8
04-24-2016, 13:35
I love this!!!!
Has anyone bought and can give a good review? I love the new style!

http://www.TheUndress.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dy-Mjp2Hh7k

Woodsie8
04-24-2016, 13:45
Rinko, I have two puppers, 16 & 17 years old. I cannot leave them but after they have to leave me (which I hope never happens), I would love to meet up and hang!!! I have a lot with trees up on the mountain, if you are up for coming up and hanging some afternoon this summer, send a message.

scooterdogma
04-26-2016, 05:04
I took 5 female friends on the Greenbrier River Trail in West Virginia. All of us were tree dwellers and four of 'em were newbies. I believe the Land of Ewoks has 4 new members.

Karla "with a k"
04-27-2016, 09:29
Did you all bike in?

scooterdogma
04-29-2016, 05:37
2 bikers, 4 hikers. We would pick a group campsite in the morning. Everyone would meet there in the evening. The bikers had to do some back tracking to camp with us, but they said it was fun to see the trail coming and going. We all enjoyed it so much we are planning a Fall trip to do it again.

laghang
05-01-2016, 14:14
Thank you to all contributors to this thread and the mods for making it a sticky! Reading your advice has been very helpful!

mcspin50
05-03-2016, 18:38
2 bikers, 4 hikers. We would pick a group campsite in the morning. Everyone would meet there in the evening. The bikers had to do some back tracking to camp with us, but they said it was fun to see the trail coming and going. We all enjoyed it so much we are planning a Fall trip to do it again.

That's wonderful to see a group of women enjoying hammocking!

Country Roads
05-03-2016, 19:00

There is a group hang, WaHHA!, at Watoga state park in October. The thread is on the southeast trip planning. Stop in! Last year was the first year for this now yearly hang. It was cold, but we had a nice fire, some great food, terrific people, a small raffle and wonderful state park staff.

scooterdogma
05-04-2016, 04:04
thanks for the info :shades:

Ozy Gus
05-05-2016, 15:16
G'day, I'm male, but as scout leader need to be discreet changing when youth are around. I also need to set a positive hygiene example.
I get my change of clothing ready for a racing pit stop. Then I drop one side of my tarp and stand behind that to quickly change. I'm usually set up a little away from the troop tents so I've never had an issue. But then the scout definitely have no desire to see me nude.
Cya Gus

ShadowSoul
05-07-2016, 09:08
I have been backpacking and hammocking since August 2015. I have completed the first 240 miles of the AT in my hammock. I am at a point where it's a bit harder to do sections since the drive to the end is longer. I live in the Atlanta area and was hoping to find women in this area (TN/NC/GA) with backpacking/hammocking experience so I can pick their brain. I'll keep checking back. Thanks everyone for all the great info here.