PDA

View Full Version : Not Seeing It Right?

Dark
06-30-2009, 00:24
I just got my hammock in, Blackbird. Without any question it looks like top notch building quality...

So I eagerly set it up with many many references to the net and to the forum on getting it right. After finding the right tree's, getting the ridge line sitting nice, adjusting 15 times to get the hammock centered, loose yet not too lose, sitting high on the foot side but not too far...I jump in.

All I can focus on is the tight feeling across the center of the hammock. I can't find a comfortable point. Albeit the wife was holding the shelf shock cords to simulate since we don't have tent pegs yet...and I just can't find a comfortable point. So we trade spots and she has the same issue...just no comfortable spot, just that tight uncomfortable 'line' down the center of the hammock and being able to only focus on it.

Yes first time setting up...about an hours worth of toying with it. Though this isn't rocket science, but maybe I'm missing something...but I wonder if I'm not a hanger at heart after all? Maybe diagonal doesn't work for me? I was so damned excited and this first round really...wasn't that exciting, first time experience and fighting with it taken into account before lacking excitement.

Anyone care to enlighten me? I don't want to start feeling like this was a terrible mistake. I've done piles of reading...and I've though this whole time there was this beautiful little pocket you fit into that feels incredible that your back and body feel just perfect in...but I can't see it yet. I'll give it another try tomorrow...

adkpiper
06-30-2009, 00:46
Hi Dark!

Sorry to hear that things aren't working completely smoothly. We'll all do our best to get you sorted out.

Sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words. Could you get your wife to take a couple of pictures of you in the hammock? First off, one looking at you from the hammock opening (with the netting open), and then one from the outside of the hammock (footbox side) that shows the bottom of the hammock?

You'll get it! And if it turns out that you just hate hammocks, your Blackbird won't take long to find a new owner if you choose to sell.

Quoddy
06-30-2009, 06:42
Could you also add a two photos of the BB before you're in it, specifically one showing the hang and one showing the ridgeline (which should be untensioned).

Dark
06-30-2009, 08:25
K, I'll do that later on this evening or tomorrow...

Pictures inside and out yeah? And the ridge line was untensioned, she made sure that was right.

Ramblinrev
06-30-2009, 08:36
my first guess would be it was hung too tightly. The sag issue is conter=intuitive. Look at the suspension lines/webbing and check if they are between 30-40* off horizontal. When you look at it you say to your self, "Self... that can't be right! That's banana time." but that is what allows the fabric to displace properly to give you a good hang.

Unless of course when you say the ridgeline was untensioned you mean that is was loosey-goosey before you got in. Ridgelines should be hung taut, ie not droopy, but not banjo picking tight. Looking forward to the pics.

Cannibal
06-30-2009, 08:51
banjo picking
:scared::scared::scared:
RUUUUUUN!

:lol::lol::lol:

Yep, we need pictures. Although, I honestly can't imagine what would cause the fabric in the center to feel tight. Even if the ridgeline wasn't tight enough or was too tight. :confused: It's gotta be something because that is not an ordinary issue with the Blackbirds. This should be a fun mystery to work-out. :D

warbonnetguy
06-30-2009, 11:04
what part of your body do you feel the ridge under?

there shouldn't be very much ridge down the center. you might need to "kick" the fabric a little to make sure it gets spread out evenly under you. with the sides staked, you should be laying diagonal with your feet to the right in the foot box and your upper body should be pretty far left with your left shoulder a few inches from the zipper. (i just say with it staked because that will show you how far left you can go with your upper body). some folks do feel a very slight ridge under the knees in the center of end gathered hammocks, some don't feel it at all and those that do it's usually a small issue that is easily corrected by a filled stuffsac under the knees or using a pad as bottom insulation. you shouldn't feel anything like that under your upper body at all. if you do, you're likely not laying far enough over to the side (not laying diagonal enough) as ridge would be in center and your upper body should be over to the left of that.

hanging the hammock too tight can cause more ridge down the center. during setup, the suspension should run at a 25-30 deg angle. when laying down, the rl should be fully extended but not tight.

as a new hanger, you may also need to move around alot at first so you can learn where the sweet spot is and how to get there. eventually it becomes instinctual.

BillyBob58
06-30-2009, 16:49
my first guess would be it was hung too tightly. The sag issue is conter=intuitive. Look at the suspension lines/webbing and check if they are between 30-40* off horizontal. When you look at it you say to your self, "Self... that can't be right! That's banana time." but that is what allows the fabric to displace properly to give you a good hang.

Unless of course when you say the ridgeline was untensioned you mean that is was loosey-goosey before you got in. Ridgelines should be hung taut, ie not droopy, but not banjo picking tight. Looking forward to the pics.

What Rev said. First thought is: too tight. Put the straps up higher and try it looser, so that when you sit in it the RL is even drooping down just barely. Then usually it will tighten up some more when you actually lay down, and that is tight enough. You can probably hang tighter than that OK, but try the looser approach just for kicks. As long as the ridge line is not hanging down in your face, it is tight enough. ( at least for me, YMMV)

And just to make sure: you are laying on the diagonal, right? With head near the zipper and feet in the foot box on the right side? Plus, a stuff sack with a bit of clothing under your knees?

deadeye
06-30-2009, 19:53
Another vote for likely too tight. Anytime I'm feeling less than 100% comfy, a little tension release goes a long way. My ridgeline is barely taut when I'm inside, sometimes even with a little sag. Too tight and the hammock is like a giant wedgie, and you're in the middle. Take a look at Shug's video on the Warbonnet site... at about minute 3 Shug lies down, and you can see how loose everything is, the ridgeline is actually swaying, it definitely ain't tight, at least while he's sitting. Also at about minute 7, you can see that he's hanging even lower than the recommended 30 degree angle... maybe 45 degrees. Moral of the story: loosen up!

titanium_hiker
07-01-2009, 04:27
gutter nails work instead of tent pegs. :)

Another vote for looser, also another vote for making sure the fabric is flat under you (no ripples of fabric!)

TH

ozziepom
07-03-2009, 00:03
I've no experience of Blackbirds, only Hennesseys and ENOs, but the first time I tried setting up the ENO by eye, (no ridge line remember), I thought I'd got it looking pretty similar in sag to the HH. However, once I got in I had almost exactly the same feeling as you have described.

I loosened the suspension by what seemed like a silly amount, but when I got in the second time - eureka!

So mine is another vote for too tight.

NorseAmerican
07-03-2009, 06:32
Besides too tight, make fist and push down and out from your upper chest to make sure fabric is not bunched up under.

Knighthorse
07-04-2009, 21:06
I had that problem with a DIY model. Hung it looser, just BARELY having the ridgeline sag, and no butt-flossing. Also purposely tried to lie on a crazy diagonal. What I thought was crazy, was actually correct. (for me) Head way over on one side, and toes almost poking over the other edge. If you feel the butt-flossing you might try the extreme diagonal and wiggle around a bit. For "tent stakes", I use two pieces of cut-down sapling wood sharpened a little on one end, and tie to that. (same ones, not new ones each time) No need to buy those unless you want the weight savings or more gear to buy. :)

Dark
07-06-2009, 10:39
Wow...this thread took off. I needed to check here sooner. I have another chance today in the evening to give this a try. This pretty much filled my head with all sorts of things to try out...I'll print this thread off and give it a whirl. I'm feeling more confident now, that's for sure =D

Thanks all you guys...been a fantastic help!

ikemouser
07-06-2009, 17:32
Congrats on the BB dark, you will love it. I had the same problems with initial setup. I did the 20-30 degree angle, but found i got the Superwedgie when i did. Loosened it up to where it was pretty low, looked too low to be correct but it was a lot better. Keep experimenting, you'll get it. And when u do, let us know what you did to fix it. peace

Dark
07-07-2009, 08:11
Huzzah. After reading everything over and screwing around for about half an hour (forgetting to remember how to tie a slippery knot which hindered things slightly) I found that sweet spot.

So now that I felt like I avenged my previous feelings I threw my sleeping bag in. Turns out its zipper is opposite of the hammocks. Doh! So there was some shifting and adjusting to learn how to get the sleeping bag to stop shifting so much when you get in and screwing up the sweet spot with cushioning...

All in all it worked out good. Thanks you guys...this might very well get addictive real quick =D

Shug
07-07-2009, 09:32
Huzzah. After reading everything over and screwing around for about half an hour (forgetting to remember how to tie a slippery knot which hindered things slightly) I found that sweet spot.

So now that I felt like I avenged my previous feelings I threw my sleeping bag in. Turns out its zipper is opposite of the hammocks. Doh! So there was some shifting and adjusting to learn how to get the sleeping bag to stop shifting so much when you get in and screwing up the sweet spot with cushioning...

All in all it worked out good. Thanks you guys...this might very well get addictive real quick =D
Cool! Use your sleeping bag as a quilt .... or you can sit in the hammock, put your feet in the bag and zip a bit and then lay back in. That works for some.

warbonnetguy
07-07-2009, 11:24
using the sleeping bag like a quilt is much better (imo) just zip it up to the knees only and turn it and use it like covers

animalcontrol
07-07-2009, 11:28
using the sleeping bag like a quilt is much better (imo) just zip it up to the knees only and turn it and use it like covers

second that :thumbup1:

Dark
07-07-2009, 13:37
I'll give it a whirl. Thank ya.

adkpiper
07-07-2009, 18:40
Woohoo! Another happy hanger!

And yes, learning to use your sleeping bag in the hammock is always a challenge. Goes with the turf. Good luck!

titanium_hiker
07-08-2009, 18:35
('cept with using the sleeping bag as a quilt you will definitely need something under you)

Congrats!

fin
07-08-2009, 22:22

Third this suggestion. I'll be doing that again tonight, exactly as described.

The tightness down the center thing has to be that the ridgeline is too tight. I've never had that in my BB. Straps 6'+ high, trees about 14-15 ft. apart, ridgeline brought almost to tension then backed off until there is just a hint of a sag, and I have no issues with any high spots/ridges at all. I center myself in the hammock, then shift my feet into the footbox and shift my upper body toward the zipper. Removes any bunching or ridges.

beep
07-09-2009, 12:37
The tightness down the center thing has to be that the ridgeline is too tight. I've never had that in my BB. Straps 6'+ high, trees about 14-15 ft. apart, ridgeline brought almost to tension then backed off until there is just a hint of a sag, and I have no issues with any high spots/ridges at all. I center myself in the hammock, then shift my feet into the footbox and shift my upper body toward the zipper. Removes any bunching or ridges.

Fin, that's the clearest "how to" instructions I've seen. :)

Miguel
07-09-2009, 13:21
gutter nails work instead of tent pegs. :)

Another vote for looser, also another vote for making sure the fabric is flat under you (no ripples of fabric!)

TH

Amen to the "gutter nails"! I love those things....cheap, light and effective.

I also vote for too tight.

Miguel

Dark
07-09-2009, 13:46
Third this suggestion. I'll be doing that again tonight, exactly as described.

Fin, that's the clearest "how to" instructions I've seen. :)

Amen to that

fin
07-09-2009, 20:50
I'm amending my vote from too tight, to straps too high and ridgeline too loose!

Last night I hung from my pergola. The supports that I wrapped around were 8' high. Span was only 16'. The height and angle of the supports did not allow for me to tighten the ridgeline as I normally would, so I had a lot of sag. I had a ridge running right down the middle of my BB! I was able to shift around enough to mitigate the ridge, but that is the first and only time I have had a ridge. I will rehang again tonight to verify, but this surprised the heck out of me. I would expect the opposite, unless it has something to do with the asym shape of the BB and the way it is whipped, or even the way I had my UQ hung.:confused:

I usually hang from my pergola with my BMBH or a no-net parachute hammock and only when no rain is expected, as I can't put up a tarp. But I'll risk it tonight. Maybe it will move some rain my way! :laugh: