PDA

View Full Version : N00b questions

Tin Man
07-01-2009, 04:13
I have a JRB BMBH that someone gifted me, minus biners and tarp. What type of biners do I buy? EMS is close, so I was going to run down and pick some up. I plan to use a 10x10 silnylon tarp. And I have and no quilt, just planning to use a 20 degree sleeping bag. I assume in the Whites in July I will not need any extra insulation. Also, will I need any sort of extra cord, in case the trees are too far apart and, if so, what type? Do I need anything else, besides a lobotomy for not asking sooner or testing before my trip? I like living on the edge.

I am a totally n00b to hanging, so please be generous in your kindness to answering my silly questions. :)

Peter_pan
07-01-2009, 05:43
I have a JRB BMBH that someone gifted me, minus biners and tarp. What type of biners do I buy? EMS is close, so I was going to run down and pick some up. I plan to use a 10x10 silnylon tarp. And I have and no quilt, just planning to use a 20 degree sleeping bag. I assume in the Whites in July I will not need any extra insulation. Also, will I need any sort of extra cord, in case the trees are too far apart and, if so, what type? Do I need anything else, besides a lobotomy for not asking sooner or testing before my trip? I like living on the edge.

I am a totally n00b to hanging, so please be generous in your kindness to answering my silly questions. :)

Tin Man,

The stock, no knot, suspension does not require carabiners.... It uses JRB Tri-glides.... These came with all but the earliest BMBH....If you need them contact JRB.

You will need under side insulation, especially in the whites....Most folk need bottom insulation at 70-75 degrees....Look around lots of options...I prefer under quilts but then I'm biased...:)

Pan

gargoyle
07-01-2009, 08:36
Check out Grizz's videos on suspension systems. He covers all the different ways to hang. Great job, Grizz.

Cannibal
07-01-2009, 09:00
Tin Man- Welcome!

Nano Camp biners are what most folks around here use. I know the hammock of which you speak and how it's set-up, the biners will work fine. The tri-glides Pan is talking about work pretty good once you figure them out; save you a couple of ounces. Yes, take something with you for the backside. The sleeping bag used as an actual bag might be enough if temps stay mild, but if they dip much at all you're going to want something under you.

Yeah, not so smart waiting till the last minute. You'll get over it and you'll have stories to tell. That's what it's all about! ;)

Tin Man
07-01-2009, 12:09
Tin Man- Welcome!

Nano Camp biners are what most folks around here use. I know the hammock of which you speak and how it's set-up, the biners will work fine. The tri-glides Pan is talking about work pretty good once you figure them out; save you a couple of ounces. Yes, take something with you for the backside. The sleeping bag used as an actual bag might be enough if temps stay mild, but if they dip much at all you're going to want something under you.

Yeah, not so smart waiting till the last minute. You'll get over it and you'll have stories to tell. That's what it's all about! ;)

Yeah, well until 2 days ago, I thought I was sharing a tent, but one of the Dad's dropped out so now I can carry a 4lb tent for myself or try the hammock. I was planning to hammock at summer camp next month and avoid sharing a large cabin tent, but the cabin tent is still there if I had problems or didn't care for it. Now I have this opportunity to do a live test so to speak.

Tin Man
07-02-2009, 06:33
Tin Man,

The stock, no knot, suspension does not require carabiners.... It uses JRB Tri-glides.... These came with all but the earliest BMBH....If you need them contact JRB.

You will need under side insulation, especially in the whites....Most folk need bottom insulation at 70-75 degrees....Look around lots of options...I prefer under quilts but then I'm biased...:)

Pan

If I order the tri-glides today, do you think they would arrive in CT in a week, say by 7/9 using normal delivery?

Peter_pan
07-02-2009, 08:57
If I order the tri-glides today, do you think they would arrive in CT in a week, say by 7/9 using normal delivery?

Tin Man,

Easy.....Order today and they will arrive in CT on 7 or 9 July.

Pan

Tin Man
07-02-2009, 10:18
Tin Man,

Easy.....Order today and they will arrive in CT on 7 or 9 July.

Pan

Done... and thanks!

GrizzlyAdams
07-02-2009, 10:56
You weren't going to sleep on the ground w/o a pad, and chances are excellent that the pad you were going to use will slip into the BMBH pad pocket. But chances are also good that it will be 20" wide, which for most folks is too narrow to keep the shoulders insulated when used in a hammock. An easy solution is to cut a cheap CCF pad you can get from Walmart so you get a 20" (standard width) x 26" (width of BMBH pad pocket) piece that you orient to lay at 90 degrees on top of the normal pad, just under your shoulders.

Grizz

Tin Man
07-02-2009, 16:22
You weren't going to sleep on the ground w/o a pad, and chances are excellent that the pad you were going to use will slip into the BMBH pad pocket. But chances are also good that it will be 20" wide, which for most folks is too narrow to keep the shoulders insulated when used in a hammock. An easy solution is to cut a cheap CCF pad you can get from Walmart so you get a 20" (standard width) x 26" (width of BMBH pad pocket) piece that you orient to lay at 90 degrees on top of the normal pad, just under your shoulders.

Grizz

Great idea. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Tin Man
07-17-2009, 12:54
Well, I am back from hanging for 4 nights in the Whites... and the verdict is... I loved it! Even after the first night when my butt sagged to the ground and got wet from the rain. For me, the straps worked better when I didn't try to stretch them too far between trees. I also need more guy lines for the tarp, but made do with some borrowed rope. Not sure why I waited so long to try this. Thanks all for the input. I am a convert! (now what to do with all those tents in the basement)

:)

Tin Man
07-17-2009, 12:56
I had a long discussion with an AMC caretaker... and he said a hammock will be his next shelter purchase.