PDA

View Full Version : NJ Atsion to Batona camp shortcut?

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 22:15
for the NJ experts, just studying maps, noticed that there is an (abandoned?) RR bed from Atsion to Batona trail near Batona camp (highlighted in blue)
is it possible to hike the RR bed (straight run, hard to get lost!) from Atsion to Batona? then Batona to lower forge, then back to Atsion
I notice the RR crosses Batso river and other waters, are there crossings?
just seemed a good way to get a loop hike in...maybe I'm crazy...

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:24
I've actually hiked that abandoned railroad, but only from Hampton Furnace to Batona. It seemed like a well-used hiking path.

A few years ago at the NJ Winter Hang, me, Kayak Karl and several others decided to hike from Batona to see the Hampton Furnace ruins. We tried using roads but they were all flooded. We ended up bushwhacking most of the way to Hampton Furnace. On the way back we took the abandoned railroad - it was about the only part of the Pine Barrens that weren't flooded. Kayak Karl pulled a few railroad spikes and gave each of us one, as a memento of our hike.

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:26
Having paddled the Batsto once and the Mullica twice in the last few weeks, I can tell you that railroad definitely crosses both rivers. The bridges look to be in good shape so you shouldn't have any problem crossing.

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 22:29
hmmm...sounds doable then! would make for a good three nighter: batona, lower forge/mullica river, atsion...I might shoot for august, that way if there are water crossing, I won't freeze! and get a jersey mike sub :D

Ratdog
Yes.
Guess the achilles is healing nicely, quite the walk planned.

silentorpheus
It looks as if that railroad you're talking about meets and or crosses the mullica river trail, south of Atsion. I'm not recalling in my mind crossing a railroad on that trail … what am I forgetting?

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 22:31
all this down time gives me lots of time to study and research...hopefully by august, the heel is ready to go! I'm finally off the crutches, just gotta build up the muscles again...

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:32
It looks as if that railroad you're talking about meets and or crosses the mullica river trail, south of Atsion. I'm not recalling in my mind crossing a railroad on that trail … what am I forgetting?

I don't think it crosses, but it terminates somewhere nearby.

silentorpheus
05-08-2014, 22:34
I don't think it crosses, but it terminates somewhere nearby.

Ah. That might explain it.

I can't say it doesn't cross … I just don't remember crossing any tracks. On the trail, or on Quaker Bridge Road.

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:36
I used to think I was an honorary piney, but now I think I'm a full-fledged piney. Natureboy68 asks about some abandoned railroad and I've actually hiked it?

That's the sign of a true piney.

Ratdog
05-08-2014, 22:36
it's under the sand. When you drive down Quaker Bridge, the open spot on the left past the church, where all the trees have been cleared out.

Ratdog
05-08-2014, 22:37
I used to think I was an honorary piney, but now I think I'm a full-fledged piney. Natureboy68 asks about some abandoned railroad and I've actually hiked it?

Not unless you hiked it with your sistermothercousin :scared:

silentorpheus
05-08-2014, 22:39

Actually ...

it's under the sand. When you drive down Quaker Bridge, the open spot on the left past the church, where all the trees have been cleared out.

Knowing about stuff that is hidden underground out there … that's the sign of a true piney. :laugh:

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 22:39
impressive gents! I'm surprised you haven't found Jimmy Hoffa yet...

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:43
Not unless you hiked it with your sistermothercousin :scared:

I hiked it with yo momma. I'm a bonafide piney.

silentorpheus
05-08-2014, 22:44

I thought we were honorary pineys as soon as we started burning pallets at our hangs ...

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 22:49
Natureboy, if you wanna expand your horizons, I'm thinking of hiking the entire Batona Trail in three days. I'm aiming for October - I don't want to worry about bugs. Start at Bass River, hike 15 miles to Buttonwood Hills. Second day hike 16.3 miles to Batona. Third day hike 18.7 miles (it may actually be 21.7 miles) to Ongs Hat. Easy peasy.

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 22:55
phew! thats some mileage! gotta work up to that, currently maxing out at about 10mi/day...but I will keep it noted!

Ratdog
05-08-2014, 23:00

Mom still hikes, climbs and jumps while wearing a pack and she's about the only one in the family that would hike your pace or better. 20+ years on you and she still climbs backcountry Kauai, hikes and bikes place like MDI or Monhegan Island in Maine. She's great to hike with, schools you on the flora and fauna as well as RailRoad history. It was her grandfather that worked the Jersey Central RR, that very line we are discussing that ran from Bridgeton to Jersey City. It's also through her that we have among other things, blood ties to the Leeds, a deed to land dating back to the late 1600's smack dab in the middle of the Pine Barrens and old grandpappy Josiah that left the Quakers to go fight King George in the Egg Harbor Militia.

And yep, burning pallets is a right of passage but we still need to get you out to some devil's eyes, ghost towns and a hole in the wall that makes the Pic-a-lili seem like the Hilton.

Ratdog
05-08-2014, 23:04
Was just hanging out with friends from Chatsworth, ticks are starting to get bad and I expect them to get much worse.
Get out there while you can. Permethrin is your friend.

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 23:07
Ratdog, you da man!

RR map of NJ 1887
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/RR_of_NJ.jpg

shows the RR line in question...

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 23:10
Mom still hikes, climbs and jumps while wearing a pack and she's about the only one in the family that would hike your pace or better.

I wanna hike with yo momma!:lol:

I think we have to introduce her to pilsburythrowboy12. That boy jumped off the bank of the river into my canoe. I 'bout had a heart attack.

SilvrSurfr
05-08-2014, 23:13
Ratdog, you da man!

RR map of NJ 1887
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/RR_of_NJ.jpg

shows the RR line in question...

Wow, cool map!

Ratdog
05-08-2014, 23:16
Mom has her own wooden Old Town canoe and still paddles the grandchildren upstream an hour to see the old abandoned apple orchards that supplied the Apple Jack Mill during prohibition. When the mill burned down, a builder craftsman gathered the timbers and bricks and built the house I grew up in.

Natureboy, post up when you are thinking about making this hike, might drop in on ya.

Silver, I need to walk the "new" sections of the Batona. Figure if I head out 2 hours before you, I should get to camp about an hour after you.:cool:

natureboy68
05-08-2014, 23:22
guess I didn't "discover" anything :(

http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/atsion-carranza-monument

will definitely post when I plan on this, prolly mid-late summer sometime...

Wilson
05-08-2014, 23:31
It's a clear shot on the RR tracks from Atsion to Batona Camp. You'll cross over two beautiful train trestles (Springers Brook & Batsto River) along the way. :)85503

The Tree Frog
05-13-2014, 21:05
Natureboy, if you wanna expand your horizons, I'm thinking of hiking the entire Batona Trail in three days. I'm aiming for October - I don't want to worry about bugs. Start at Bass River, hike 15 miles to Buttonwood Hills. Second day hike 16.3 miles to Batona. Third day hike 18.7 miles (it may actually be 21.7 miles) to Ongs Hat. Easy peasy.

Silvr, Count me in. I had that trip planned for April in the opposite direction. Reserved the camps and everything. Injury canceled the trip. I will definitely do that in October!

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2014, 21:30
Silvr, Count me in. I had that trip planned for April in the opposite direction. Reserved the camps and everything. Injury canceled the trip. I will definitely do that in October!

Cool. I don't really care about direction, but I thought it would be better to do the lower miles first. I know my first day is always the hardest. I'm probably gonna do training hikes - do each leg individually between now and then - makes it easier to say, "I can do this" when you've actually done it. The most I've hiked in a day is 16 miles so I know I can survive that but doing 22 miles in a day is still something I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

I was thinking about slackpacking the long leg, Ong's Hat to Batona sometime soon 'cause that's the tough part. If I know I can slackpack it, then that makes me more confident I can do it with a pack.

The Tree Frog
05-14-2014, 21:49
I was thinking about slackpacking the long leg, Ong's Hat to Batona sometime soon 'cause that's the tough part. If I know I can slackpack it, then that makes me more confident I can do it with a pack.

I'm up for that too. I may be ready for a slack pack mid June. Or, we could promote a Batona hang and meet a few people there. Let me know when.

The Tree Frog
05-14-2014, 21:53
Cool. I don't really care about direction, but I thought it would be better to do the lower miles first.

I thought about that, but also thought about knocking out the longest part first and then each day gets easier. Ongs Hat to Batona is long but also the most fun and scenic. The new section in Franklin Parker Preserve is great because it goes through wetlands and is full of board walks and bridges. Pretty cool.