PDA

View Full Version : Nano-buginator performance issues

Nclarkii
05-15-2014, 10:41
I have hammocked in some of the buggiest places in the world, and I have almost always used DL hammocks with an integrated bugnet. Over the last several years, my go-to has been a DIY 1.9 DL with a zip-off net. Bug problems have been negligible but it's a big and heavy rig. I needed to lighten my load for some recent multi-night kayak trips, so after much research on this forum, I finally decided on a BIAS weight-weenie micro with Nano buginator several weeks ago. I had no problem with the set-up during my first few nights out, but I was operating under relatively low mosquito loads. In the past two weeks, I've been sleeping under very heavy mosquito loads (thousands) and have experienced routine and complete bugnet failure, with several dozen to over a hundred mosquitoes finding their way inside the net during the night. There are no rips in the net and the end cords are cinched and wrapped tight with the shock cord, so the only possible entry point of is the bottom entry hole. I've tried using the net with the entry hole shock fully cinched, fully relaxed, and I even tried to plug the entry hole with my open sleeping bag. To make matters worse, the buggers are also able to bite through the net and hammock where they are pressed tight against my body. So, my question to you guys...is there something I'm doing wrong or is this evidence of the much-feared design flaw in "Fronkey-style" bugnets?

Here is one end of my hammock in the morning as I was undoing the end-cinch to release the horde. Both ends looked like this, and probably represented only 50% of what was actually inside.

jstn
05-15-2014, 10:59
Ouch, that looks pretty bad. Sorry I'm not able to help with advice, but I was curious if your bug net / hammock had a treatment of permethrin?

Twin Dragons
05-15-2014, 11:32
I haven't yet tried the stuff myself, but I wonder if treating both the hammock and net with Permethrin would help.

Nclarkii
05-15-2014, 11:56
No permethrin. I'm a biologist who who works with amphibians and fish, so I avoid chemical repellents if at all possible. I would rather abandon the "fronkey style" bugnet and go back to the heavy DL hammock.

SilvrSurfr
05-15-2014, 15:36
No permethrin. I'm a biologist who who works with amphibians and fish, so I avoid chemical repellents if at all possible. I would rather abandon the "fronkey style" bugnet and go back to the heavy DL hammock.

Well, unless you're going to have amphibians and fish in your bugnet, it's a non-issue. I've been using Buginators and Nano-Buginators for a couple of years and haven't had a single mosquito in my net. Then again, I've never gone out with an untreated bugnet.

Nclarkii
05-15-2014, 15:49
Well, unless you're going to have amphibians and fish in your bugnet, it's a non-issue. I've been using Buginators and Nano-Buginators for a couple of years and haven't had a single mosquito in my net. Then again, I've never gone out with an untreated bugnet.

It's awfully disappointing that the bugnet doesn't function mechanically, but permethrin would be an obvious solution if I didn't have other hammock options. Because I work in extremely humid areas, my hammock is often damp -- is there no risk of transferring the chemical from the net to your hands?

gmcttr
05-15-2014, 16:10
... Because I work in extremely humid areas, my hammock is often damp -- is there no risk of transferring the chemical from the net to your hands?

Do your own research for your particular considerations, but from all I've read from manufacturers, once initially dried, permethrin is bonded to the fabric fibers and wetting with water will not put it back into solution.

With our application methods, it is claimed to last through 6 washings and the action that reduces it's effectiveness is the mechanical agitation knocking it loose and not the water and detergents returning it into solution.

Gustavus
05-15-2014, 16:50
Please, just get a zippered bug net, like the Wilderness Logics Bug Net, works well with 11' hammocks. Will give you piece of mind and less chemical.

Rice-N-beans
05-15-2014, 18:59
Please, just get a zippered bug net, like the Wilderness Logics Bug Net, works well with 11' hammocks. Will give you piece of mind and less chemical.

Nclarkii could sell the buginator here in the for sale section, and with a lil' more coin buy the Wilderness Logics bugnet.

Nclarkii
05-16-2014, 09:27
Nclarkii could sell the buginator here in the for sale section, and with a lil' more coin buy the Wilderness Logics bugnet.

I'll probably sell it, but if I'm going to fiddle with a zipper, I'll just go back to my DIY or my Hennessy Expedition.

Rolloff
05-16-2014, 16:51
Permethrins, bond to materials on the molecular level. Once dried or rewetted it does not magically once again become liquid Permethrin. Possibility of run off contamination concerning surface, or ground water, when used and disposed of in a responsible manner is minimal.

It's a synthetic version of a natural substance produced by the Chrysanthemum flower. Primary active ingredient found in many Canine and Equine formulations for general flea, tick, fly control.

Like anything, if you are still unsure, treat one or two small items first to see if you have any problem. The brim of a hat or a bandana are great for starters. The only thing I don't treat are socks, underwear, and base layers. Properly treated, Hammock, Suspension, and Bugnet, will make any rig nearly bug free, and the ones that do find a way inside or on you, really regret it.

Picaridin or if I can get away with it Vanilla extract on skin areas. It's us against them :tongueup:

f1prb22
05-19-2014, 16:11
Down in FL once, I saw the buggers enter a fairly small, less than pencil eraser sized hole one by one, and then take individual turns to dive bomb me.
I witnessed this by flashlight. So its still possible they entered on the ends. Would sure like to know for sure though as I also have that net, and could
be in intense buggy places (Panama Canal) in the future. If you are out again, and can find out by flashlight were they are entering and let us know,
it would be service to the community. Wrapping bandana's pre-soaked in PM around the ends, would likely negate that as a possible entry point.

Charliev
05-19-2014, 17:02
I keep my clothes, hammock, quilts, bugnet and tarp sprayed with permetherin. It not only kills the ones that touch it but repels also. I don't spray the whole tarp just around the edges. Sounds like you got a hole or gap somewhere. Go over every seam with your fingers spreading the material, then check every inch for holes. Carry a small spray bottle of permetherin an spray ends and bottom cinch with it. I always carry a small bottle with me.

TheTurtle
05-20-2014, 10:08
Wow, those pics are scary! I just recently traded for a nano buginator. I have only used it three nights since acquiring it, but have had no mosquitoes inside. Of coarse I'm not in the FL swamps I'm in the mountains of NC. We have mosquitoes but nothing like that. I haven't treated with permethrin nut sounds like I probably should.

I run the slack from my whoopie sling out each end of the net and tie the ends off over top of the net behind the cinch cord. This may help.

Honestly if it were me I'd probably take the weight penalty over sharing a bed with those disease carrying blood suckers. Of coarse some of the suggestions from some of those more knowledgeable than myself may solve your problem while still saving the weight.
Good luck! I'll be watching too see how this plays out.

VictoriaGuy
05-20-2014, 13:17
N Clark-
I've camped (canoe-tripping) in northern Canada and the Arctic, and, after seeing mosquitoes and black flies find their way into a tent through a tiny 'pull' in netting, I've been skeptical about some of the 'bug net' styles mentioned here at HF.
Your post definitely confirms my suspicions - Thanks!
(My hammock has a full-zip net, though I don't travel in bug country much these days...)

SilvrSurfr
05-20-2014, 13:51
It's awfully disappointing that the bugnet doesn't function mechanically, but permethrin would be an obvious solution if I didn't have other hammock options. Because I work in extremely humid areas, my hammock is often damp -- is there no risk of transferring the chemical from the net to your hands?

I would never think of using my NanoBuginator without permethrin. My first use of permethrin was for my daughter's birthday party in the back yard. The skeeters were bad that year, so I sprayed the back yard: fences, trees, walls, grass, shrubbery - everything. For three weeks there was not a single insect of any kind in the back yard - it was a no-fly zone. They wouldn't come near my yard 'cause it meant certain death. My daughter's birthday party was gloriously mosquito-free, but my vegetable garden didn't fare too well. Bees and other pollinators wouldn't come around. I don't spray the back yard anymore.

Zippered bugnets certainly are more popular than bottom-entry bugnets by a wide margin, so the overwhelming majority of responses will say, "Get a zippered bugnet; don't take any chances." Most of those people will offer this advice without ever trying a properly-treated bottom-entry bugnet because zippers "seem" to offer more security.

However, properly treated with permethrin, bottom-entry bugnets are equally as effective in my experience. I've spent many a bug-free night in my backyard with my Nano-Buginator, and I live next to a New Jersey swamp that is absolutely mosquito heaven. I'd like to see how you fare in buggy conditions with a properly-treated bugnet.

Rolloff
05-20-2014, 14:52
I'm pretty sure in those buggy of conditions, whatever you are using on skin and clothes, to repel ticks and other blood suckers, especially if it's a Deet formulation, properly applied Permethrin treatments are much more effective, and much less damaging to you and the environment.

I found myself reading a few of the posts, and to assume one would go into such conditions with little more than an untreated net, for one's main bug protection, is fairly improbable. I feel Permethrin, clothing, hammock + netting, simply go together. None of those, individually, efficiently serve the purpose. It takes a village, or at least the complete kit.

Set up accordingly, also allows me to eliminate the need for any Deet products, and that stuff does go directly on the skin and is frequently re-applied throughout the day or trip. Don't get any on your gear either. It's probably worse for Sil. At least it doesn't melt skin. :scared: