PDA

View Full Version : NJ/NY > Appalachian Trail in NJ/NY June 10-16, 2014 tentative

Rain Man
05-15-2014, 11:21
This hike is tentative, but I expect it to work out, subject to adjusting details. Last October I hiked the AT through almost all of NJ. I plan to return in June to hike one week. I'll finish NJ (about 8 or 10 miles) and start NY. My hiking days will be approximately June 10-16. My daily mileage will be "to be determined" due to recovering from an injury, but usually is 12-15 miles. NY has a reputation for being more rugged than people expect, so daily mileage may be less than normal for that reason also.

If you might be interested, contact me and let's discuss plans.

Rain Man

perrito
05-15-2014, 12:07
What is your starting point in NY? I may be able to join you for a few days.

Rain Man
05-15-2014, 13:38
What is your starting point in NY? I may be able to join you for a few days.

Hwy 94 just a couple miles north of Vernon, NJ, where the AT crosses the highway.

Rain Man

Rain Man
06-04-2014, 13:01
Just a bump to update hike schedule and invite any interested folks. One hiker is joining me for part or all of the first three days and another for the last two days. Also, one is shuttling me to start and slack-packing me. Another is shuttling me at the end.

6-10 Tue evening 5.0 mi Hwy 94 to Wawayanda Shelter
6-11 Wed 12.1 mi Wawayanda to Wildcat Shelter
6-12 Thu 9.9 mi Wildcat to Hwy 17
6-13 Fri 12.8 mi Hwy 17 to West Mountain Shelter
6-14 Sat 7.0 mi West Mountain to Hudson River
6-15 Sun fly home to Nashville

If anyone is interested, feel free to give a shout. I leave Nashville early Sunday morning. Spending Monday in DC to visit family.

Rain Man

Silent Bob
06-18-2014, 14:44
Hi Rain man, How did you make out on your trip ?

Rain Man
06-18-2014, 15:51
Hi Rain man, How did you make out on your trip ?

Like a charm. GREAT trip. Am polishing a photo album right now and will be posting a link. The captions will tell most of the story, but I'll post a bit extra here, perhaps later today, if time allows.

We just put our 13th exchange student on the plane this morning to return to his other home (Morocco this time), so have been very busy since returning from my trip on Sunday evening.

Anyway, thanks for asking!

Rain Man

Silent Bob
06-18-2014, 18:53
Glad to hear you had a good trip. Can't wait to see your pictures..

Rain Man
06-18-2014, 20:41
Here's a photo album of my trip, with captions that comprise a trip report of sorts.

Photo album of my trip. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=22613662)

Rain Man

perrito
06-18-2014, 22:03
Did you end your trip after crossing the Bear Mountain Bridge?

Rain Man
06-18-2014, 22:17
Did you end your trip after crossing the Bear Mountain Bridge?

I only hiked out to the middle of the bridge, then back to the Park and checked into one of the "stone cottages" as there was no room in the inn for me. Also, the zoo was closed. Next trip, I'll do the zoo and cross the Bridge.

Rain Man

natureboy68
06-18-2014, 23:24
great photos! how was agony grind? hate seeing trail trash, but love seeing trail magic!! Isn't island pond and the area just spectacular? how was the lemon squeezer? such a great hike...glad you enjoyed my fair city and its trails!!

bacall79
06-19-2014, 04:59
Great pics, wish I could have been there with you!!

Rain Man
06-19-2014, 09:24
great photos! how was agony grind? hate seeing trail trash, but love seeing trail magic!! Isn't island pond and the area just spectacular? how was the lemon squeezer? such a great hike...glad you enjoyed my fair city and its trails!!

The Lemon Squeezer was a squeeze. Three other hikers were there and offered to let me hand them my pack, so that helped me fit through the squeeze. However, all I ever read about was the squeeze. I didn't realize there was a vertical climb a few yards after the squeeze. It was a bit hairy in the rain, but we made it, again handing up my pack.

Yes, that area was spectacular. As far as Agony Grind, it was a grind, but thankfully only 500' of descent worth. A slip and fall on the wet rocks might have been unfortunate, but we made it down without incident (other than a few choice words now and again).

The trash was only in a very few spots. The rest of the trail was very clean. I wished I could have carried out some of it.

Yes, I enjoyed the hike and visit to the City too. Thanks!

Rain Man

Silent Bob
06-19-2014, 09:47
Enjoyed your photos as usual rain man. Your right the vertical climb after the squeeze is worse. I've hiked that section more times than I can remember. I did the climb once and the rest of the times I go the easy way lol..http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/8ubehade.jpg

georgecarr
06-22-2014, 22:13
Glad you had a great trip RM. Thanks for the pics - they brought back some fond memories!

Rain Man
06-23-2014, 08:21
I did the climb once and the rest of the times I go the easy way lol..

I really wanted to take a photo of that sign, but it was raining. Should've taken it anyway, as it poured rain for the next two hours and my camera died anyway.

Maybe I'll just steal your pic of it!!! :)

Rain Man