PDA

View Full Version : speer bug net???

bob2guns
07-02-2009, 23:23
got a Speer on an impulse , or whatever for an extra hammerk......looks like a good lightweight basic job,color is really good, feels like i could get used to it alright., even did the mandatory mod ofication change on everything i seem to get ( suspension-- straps to cord and rings), but the bug net is really bugging me....only way i can use it is w/o a ridgeline.. its only 2 ft wide and wont stay shut otherwise. and with no ridgeline its right on your face, stretched to the max .....maybe its me.. i dont kno.. Ed seems to make it work. i thought of (another ) modifcation. getting another speer net and sticking two together and get 4 ft wide out of it ...think it'll fly ???? ( sorry, Ed , don't mean to dis your bugnet) (i could just go in no-bug weather, i guess)

guySmiley
07-09-2009, 15:15
I completely agree with you. Mine drove me nuts for the same reason and also because that's just too much velcro to close quickly. I replaced it with a Warbonnet bugnet, and now I love it.

Nothing against the hammock itself. I love it, and it's my primary hammock.

DougTheElder
07-09-2009, 15:50
The Speer hammock, Speer SnugFit, and Warbonnet BugNet is a mighty fine combination.

guySmiley
07-09-2009, 18:52
The Speer hammock, Speer SnugFit, and Warbonnet BugNet is a mighty fine combination.

That's exactly what I'm using these days:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/4/2/speer-warbonnet_rig_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=6198&c=member&imageuser=2642)

bob2guns
07-10-2009, 00:36
looks like that WB net works for you.....i thought about it a little while ago, but the logistics of getting thru the zipper....or maybe not with the big boots..........................
i had another idea today.....i been twweekin the new BMBH to get it the way i want it. changed the webbing to cord and rings,added a structural RL,tested a lot of different lengths, played all kinds of combinations with different length spreader bars,and finally got rid of the sho. squeeze problem , and it hit me that the JBR bugnet looks like it will fit the Speer, maybe perfect...should be wide enough , almost 4 ft, probably work with the omni-tape......
if it works maybe i'll figure out how to upload a picture of it.

guySmiley
07-11-2009, 10:20
I haven't had any problems with getting in and out of the zipper. Granted, it would be better if the zipper was a U shape with both ends going all the way up to the ridgeline, but that wouldn't be for improved in-out. It would just make it more convenient for using the hammock as a chair.

It sounds as if you've got it figured out though. I'd like to see your photo, but I just like looking at other peoples hammocks, being the hammock nerd that I am. :)