PDA

View Full Version : Tx>LSHT> today

Klanecfsb
05-15-2014, 15:45
I'm starting my thru hike this afternoon starting as soon as my wife comes down stairs to give me a ride to TH 1 . Trying to finish mon night or tue morn. If you are out there this weekend, maybe I'll bump into you. Trip report with full detail to follow

CooOkieCOOon
05-15-2014, 15:46
Good luck bro! Wish I was out there.

sargevining
05-15-2014, 15:55
Dang.

Just pulled the trigger on volunteering at church this weekend. If I'da seen this a couple hours earlier, I'd met you someplace with some good chow.

25 mile days? Doable in that terrain for a young man in good health like yourself. Good luck.

rhjanes
05-15-2014, 16:43
great! Have some fun.

anjea214
05-15-2014, 16:57
Have fun! I was just in that area camping over the weekend. The pine forests are beautiful!

banshee68
05-15-2014, 23:22
Enjoy your weekend! Wish I could be there.

Snaggleroot
05-16-2014, 00:05
You could not have picked a better weekend for weather. I'll probably be on the trail with the LSHT Hiking Club Saturday in Big Creek and maybe eastern Magnolia - probably a full day or so ahead of you. Have a great time out there.

Klanecfsb
05-16-2014, 18:20
617 Friday I'm sitting here at the corner of park road 40 and the southbound feeder eating for my wife to drop me off some water. Trail is muddy and slick in places and there are trees down all over the place

spaceweaseal
05-16-2014, 19:08
Good luck on your hike and be safe.

sargevining
05-16-2014, 21:12
617 Friday I'm sitting here at the corner of park road 40 and the southbound feeder eating for my wife to drop me off some water. Trail is muddy and slick in places and there are trees down all over the place

35 miles. Not a bad day. Not a bad day at all.

Snaggleroot
05-17-2014, 17:53
HP,

I don’t know if you’ll find this useful, but I was on the trail at the San Jacinto River – where the bridge used to be – earlier today. I’m attaching a picture that shows the log crossing that is still there. The water is maybe 2 inches deeper than when I crossed it a couple months ago. It’ll take good balance, but I’d bet that won’t be a problem for you. If you want to wade it, there’s a sand bar about 50’ downstream extending about 2/3 of the way across. It’ll be less than 1’ deep there, but the first couple steps may be up to your waist or deeper. Or, you can take the road walk / bushwhack detour around it all. Good luck – hope this helps.

Klanecfsb
05-18-2014, 13:04
I ended up not finishing. multiple reasons. I was in a car wreck a few weeks ago and injured my ribs and shoulder. the pain had almost gone away, so i figured i could make this happen, but i think it was a little too soon. I also twisted my knee pretty good around mile 42. I could have slowed my pace and kept going but i have to leave for Kentucky in a week for work, and i need to rest up. The physical pain i experienced could have been overcome, but i didnt really feel like it considering i had a lot of long road walks infront of me.

so my mileage was as follows:
thursday 0-10.5 ish
friday 10.5-exactly 41
sat 41-51.7 then bailed at 1 pm
the road walks and river detour are really what made the decision easy. getting chased by dogs and stepping over roadside trash are a bummer.

friday was my best ever day at 30 and half miles. i had never even done a 20 before.

rhjanes
05-18-2014, 20:18
you were hiking over 30 miles, in the heat, a few weeks after a car wreck?
(I'm hearing the theme from Superman....)
SOunds like you made a good choice.

anjea214
05-18-2014, 21:04
How is water access on the LSHT? My friend and I are considering doing it sometime this year.

sargevining
05-18-2014, 21:37
How is water access on the LSHT? My friend and I are considering doing it sometime this year.

IMO, the best plan is to cache water at road crossings, or have folks bring it to you like Halfpipe did. One good thing about the LSHT is that it has multiple road crossings at decent distances, and they are more reliable than any of the natural water sources on the trail.

The best advice is to get the trail guide

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Star-Hiking-Trail-Wilderness/dp/0899975046/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400466853&sr=1-2&keywords=lone+star+trail

Research through the LSHT Club website:

http://lonestartrail.org/

And the Lone Star Trail Yahoo Group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LSHT/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOWY5OGE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElk AzE4NTEzOTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NjAwNQRzZWMDdnRsBH NsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzOTk4MDIzMjU-

sargevining
05-18-2014, 21:39
you were hiking over 30 miles, in the heat, a few weeks after a car wreck?
(I'm hearing the theme from Superman....)
SOunds like you made a good choice.

Absofreakinglutley.

This kid is a monster. Thirty freakin miles a week after a car accident----

No apologies, man. You are my Hero.

Right after Snaggleroot. He did 70 sum odd with shin splints.

Snaggleroot
05-18-2014, 21:44
Sorry your injury flared up, but congrats on what you did accomplish, especially the 30.5 mile day. I’m sure you’ll “git-r-done” next time.

anjea214
05-18-2014, 21:45
Ah, thanks! I had seen the book but was concerned about water availability. I didn't realize there were the two groups but I have bookmarked them for future usage. Thanks!

Snaggleroot
05-18-2014, 22:14
Right after Snaggleroot. He did 70 sum odd with shin splints.

Sarge – slight exaggeration - it was 2 full days on one bum shin. But yesterday I was one of five hikers who met to do 17 miles on the trail, and suffered no ill effects. 30 ½ miles would have killed me, though.

Klanecfsb
05-19-2014, 08:20
I've been trying to get in better shape/ lighten my base weight so I can cover more distance, and it showed in increased speed. I got too excited about it and hiked too long and took too few breaks. If I try again I'm going to try and keep it to 20 or less per day and have a more
Structured break schedule. And my car accident was 3 weeks ago. There were a lot of things I learned by going solo, but I'll save them for my trip report later today.

As far as water, cache is the way. There are enough places to drop water that you would probably not need to lug more than 2 liters at a time. Most of the water sources are stagnant and very stained brown from all the leaves/ pine needles, and a lot of the ponds listed as water sources are off trail in dense areas that would require some bush whacking to get to. I don't like leaving the trail, ten feet away and you almost can't see it at all.