PDA

View Full Version : Triangle thingies

MedicineMan
07-03-2009, 09:15
Just curious.....what is the weight rating of the triangles supplied with the Blackbird?
Curious because just looking at the webbing or line and then looking at the triangles the triangles look so little/weak.
I ask because BB #2 just arrived and when setting up that one little triangle is supporting my entire weight.
Thank!

headchange4u
07-03-2009, 09:20
I think brandon said they were 300lbs each. He tested him with both he and his fiance in the hammock at the same time and said they held fine.

attroll
07-03-2009, 09:22
I am not sure of the rating but my second BB has he triangles and I have well over 60 day in it and I weigh about 200 lbs. I have not had a problem with them yet.

MedicineMan
07-03-2009, 09:38
On my BB i use for hiking (lines not webbing or carabiners) that one little triangle is holding all the weight...OK one triangle on each side.
Remember at Whiteblaze ALL the discussion on the huge weight that is applied to shelter walls.....weight that is far greater than just your body weight.
Still I wonder looking at that little triangle of metal!

So in a way I want to make sure I'm hanging correctly when using only line....yes I'm using the slipped buntline hitch (cool hitch too, much easier than the HH figure 8 knot)....

Cannibal
07-03-2009, 09:52
Why are you using only one triangle? Are you using line in lieu of webbing? Just curious.

warbonnetguy
07-03-2009, 10:00
the newer ones are rated at around 700#

MedicineMan
07-03-2009, 10:06
On one BB (double 1.1) I use webbing/carabiner.
On another BB (singe 1.7) I use only line.
Tree hugger terminates to ONE triangle.
Line from hammock to that ONE triangle via slipped buntline hitch.
It's just my eyes-they see this little triangle!
When using the webbing/carabiner I see more in my mind to carry the load.

MedicineMan
07-03-2009, 10:12
Amazing that something so little can be rated so high....well 700 pounds relieves me! and we all know not to jump around inside the hammock anyway (increase the kinetic force applied)....wheeeeeeew :)

warbonnetguy
07-03-2009, 10:21
welded steel is pretty strong if it's a good weld. the newer ones have a thicker weld than the older ones did, not sure what you have, but i thought you got yours more recently

MedicineMan
07-03-2009, 12:35
yesterday.....and to be 1.7, I thought it would be thicker fabric....can almost see through it? of course i don't know materials like you do warbonnetguy

warbonnetguy
07-03-2009, 18:42
it's a looser weave, hence being able to see through it a little, this makes it more breathable, but less skeeter-proof if laying directly on the bare fabric with no quilt/pad