PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Batona Camp> 6-14 >Fathers day family camp

Pages : [1] 2 3

njredneck
05-19-2014, 18:55
I just talked the wife into an overnight fathers day weekend at Batona camp and thought it would be a good trip to get the families together and enjoy the outdoors. Anyone else interested?

I'll bring my Big Tent for the non-hangers to share.:cool:

Syb
05-19-2014, 18:56
I can only imagine there might be a few good meals.

njredneck
05-19-2014, 19:04
I can only imagine there might be a few good meals.

Th Dutch ovens will be in use. Just don't know yet what will be in them.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 19:15
You can count me in as an early tentative maybe!

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 19:16
Where's the Batona Camp in relation to the Mullica Camp we stayed at that night SS?

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 19:18
Th Dutch ovens will be in use. Just don't know yet what will be in them.

Do the rest of the camp and the culinary world a favor, don't let me volunteer to do any baking or cooking in general for that matter in them. Just ask anyone from the Round River how well my plans to bake a loaf of bread went haha!

njredneck
05-19-2014, 19:23
Where's the Batona Camp in relation to the Mullica Camp we stayed at that night SS?

About 30 min north of Atsion where you guys launched the canoe

njredneck
05-19-2014, 19:24
Do the rest of the camp and the culinary world a favor, don't let me volunteer to do any baking or cooking in general for that matter in them. Just ask anyone from the Round River how well my plans to bake a loaf of bread went haha!

You just need a little more practice. Don't be scared to fail a few times it teaches you what not to do.:D

Syb
05-19-2014, 19:24
don't let me volunteer to do any baking
Anyone for some liquid bread? :D

SilvrSurfr
05-19-2014, 19:34
That date would probably work well for me. I'm trying to get my daily hiking mileage up so I'll probably hike in from Batsto Village (12.9 miles) though I may take the Mullica River trail then crossover, which I recall to be about 14 miles.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 19:45
And we're not talking about a liquid starch of the delicious variety like a nice thick pilsner, we're talking about a pot full of doughy goop so loose the yeast couldn't even manage to proof!

Anyone for some liquid bread? :D

njredneck
05-19-2014, 19:46
That date would probably work well for me. I'm trying to get my daily hiking mileage up so I'll probably hike in from Batsto Village (12.9 miles) though I may take the Mullica River trail then crossover, which I recall to be about 14 miles.

My wife does not hike so we will drive in. You could drop your gear off and slack pack in. Could probably work out a shuttle so your car could stay at Batona.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 19:46
Is there car or river access to the camp or is it strictly a hiking access only type deal?

About 30 min north of Atsion where you guys launched the canoe

njredneck
05-19-2014, 19:52
Is there car or river access to the camp or is it strictly a hiking access only type deal?

Drive right to campsite

aircoder
05-19-2014, 19:53

Hey them fish enjoyed that bread! oh wait and we enjoyed them fish... so it all worked out.

aircoder
05-19-2014, 19:55
Im not sure about this one will need to chat with the wife and see if she's up to it the little little one might be a bit to young for a trip just yet. Though i would love to make it out.

Chris183
05-19-2014, 20:04
Diana and I are early tentative! Since we wont have to hike in, we'll bring more to the table (literally).

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 20:16
Ruh roh! Looks like somebodies got the camping bug!

Diana and I are early tentative! Since we wont have to hike in, we'll bring more to the table (literally).

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 20:21
Btw if any of you guys need to soften the transition back to civilization from the bush, my buddy Mike (The very non homosexual Mike - Looking at you Craig & Lance!), possibly our other friend Chris and I are planning to do an overnight camp at Brendan T. Byrne Park this upcoming weekend and all of course are welcome. The more the merrier for sure.

Zilla
05-19-2014, 20:31
This batona campout is a 2 nighter,right?

Ratdog
05-19-2014, 20:34

Could be...
:)

Ratdog
05-19-2014, 20:35
Btw if any of you guys need to soften the transition back to civilization from the bush, my buddy Mike (The very non homosexual Mike - Looking at you Craig & Lance!), possibly our other friend Chris and I are planning to do an overnight camp at Brendan T. Byrne Park this upcoming weekend and all of course are welcome. The more the merrier for sure.

Do you guys have a site rented yet?
I'm thinking about grabbing one myself. Just to be outside.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 20:39

I literally got off the phone with my boys about 30 mins ago and nothing has been set in stone but we should have a pretty good idea by tomorrow evening after Mike gets off work. If you want to get it rolling w/ a reservation and have 2 definite w/ 1 probable from my end, go for it.

Zilla
05-19-2014, 20:42

How many to a site, i am really gonna try and make this one,, pretty sure i can talk her into it this time, she just got a new rr and as soon as it gets here she will be itching to test it out!

njredneck
05-19-2014, 20:43

If there is enough interest in 2 nights I'm not opposed.

Ratdog
05-19-2014, 20:47
I literally got off the phone with my boys about 30 mins ago and nothing has been set in stone but we should have a pretty good idea by tomorrow evening after Mike gets off work. If you want to get it rolling w/ a reservation and have 2 definite w/ 1 probable from my end, go for it.

I need to check with my sister and her family. We were talking about getting out.
Will touch base tomorrow about this coming weekend.
----end hijack---

njredneck
05-19-2014, 20:48
How many to a site, i am really gonna try and make this one,, pretty sure i can talk her into it this time, she just got a new rr and as soon as it gets here she will be itching to test it out!

It's for father's day she can't say no. 6 to a site 7 min for the group. Myself and Ratdog just talked about the best sites to reserve. I feel we have to have the group site after all it has the biggest fire ring:D. Still debating 1 or 2 nights.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-19-2014, 20:49

Ok I'm getting confused with the responses so I'm gonna just start a separate thread to not bombard Craig's here. Sorry SS for the interruption.

aircoder
05-19-2014, 20:51

What who me I have no clue what your taking about mr pbtb, just keep two feet firmly planted on the ground and all will be just fine... but in all seriousness have a great time! I'm jealous I'll be out in allentown playing photographer ...

Ratdog
05-19-2014, 20:56
Booked, locked up.
Be there, Aloha. :cool:

silentorpheus
05-19-2014, 22:38
I should be there.

I'll work on bringing the family. :)

silentorpheus
05-19-2014, 23:42
Booked, locked up.
Be there, Aloha. :cool:

I'm confused ... You booked for 6/14, or are you referring to this weekend at B. T. Byrne?

SilvrSurfr
05-19-2014, 23:43
I was looking at the map and was wondering how navigable Skit Branch is for canoes. This tributary flows right past Batona camp before merging with the Batsto River not far from Hampton Furnace.

Of course, if we bring PBDB, he could make it navigable. He makes quick work of wood in his way!:lol:

njredneck
05-20-2014, 05:45
Booked group site for Sat 6-14. I'm going to keep this trip to an overnight for myself and my family.

aircoder
05-20-2014, 07:08
The wife said she wanted to give it a try and see how it goes, so we are tentatively there....

Ratdog
05-20-2014, 07:25
I'm confused ... You booked for 6/14, or are you referring to this weekend at B. T. Byrne?

Confirmed
Booked for 6/14 - Site 9 - water access us ours.

Ratdog
05-20-2014, 07:31
I was looking at the map and was wondering how navigable Skit Branch is for canoes. This tributary flows right past Batona camp before merging with the Batsto River not far from Hampton Furnace.

Of course, if we bring PBDB, he could make it navigable. He makes quick work of wood in his way!:lol:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to paddle deep into the Pine Barrens using a hardly navigable waterway. As always should your hull integrity be comprimised, the gourmet hanging group will be ready with stupid redonkulous amounts of excellent grub.

When the water levels are high, you can get back into the cedar forest, upstream, not so much.

You can paddle upstream from Hampton for about an hour.
Hmmmmm, now you have me wondering.
RECON !

silentorpheus
05-20-2014, 08:22
Confirmed
Booked for 6/14 - Site 9 - water access us ours.

Nice. I love site 9 - good little group of trees, and the path down to the water is awesome.

Chris183
05-20-2014, 20:09
how many are allowed at one group site?

njredneck
05-20-2014, 20:17
how many are allowed at one group site?

The group A site we could fit 7-8 hammocks. I think site 9 will handle 3. If we need more space someone can reserve site 7.

Chris183
05-20-2014, 20:57
hey mike. so prob not as spacious as our site at round valley. reason i ask is because i have some tent campers that might be interested in going.

Ratdog
05-20-2014, 21:00
I will have a family member grab another site if needed.
7 will let us lock up the back of the camp.
Plenty of room for ground pounders and more hammocks.

njredneck
05-20-2014, 21:02
hey mike. so prob not as spacious as our site at round valley. reason i ask is because i have some tent campers that might be interested in going.

There is plenty of room for tents.

silentorpheus
05-20-2014, 21:03
I will have a family member grab another site if needed.
7 will let us lock up the back of the camp.
Plenty of room for ground pounders and more hammocks.

P-dawg: let me confirm with the wife that I can make it (with or without her and the little guy), and then I'll grab 7.

silentorpheus
05-20-2014, 21:04

There is plenty of room for tents.

Yeah, Batona is one giant, flat, clear area, interspersed with trees. Should be tough to find spots to drop a tent.

Ratdog
05-20-2014, 21:04
Got it, Standing down on Site 7.

silentorpheus
05-20-2014, 21:08
Got it, Standing down on Site 7.

Heh. Just figured I'd save you the hassle. If I can't make it, you're back on the hook. :)

The Tree Frog
05-20-2014, 21:35
Hmmmm. If I can't get the wife, is father and son or solo ok?

SilvrSurfr
05-20-2014, 21:36
Hmmmm. If I can't get the wife, is father and son or solo ok?

I ain't bringing my wife, and I doubt the kids are coming either.

The Tree Frog
05-20-2014, 21:41

Good to know. I will check the schedule. Thanks.

silentorpheus
05-20-2014, 21:41

After all the stories over the past few years, I think it'd be hilarious if you actually brought the wife.

For about 5 minutes. :lol:

Ratdog
05-20-2014, 21:56
I've got my other sister's boys for that weekend, a 7yr old and 12 yr old.
Both have their own hammocks, have camped Batona and love building fires...when mom is not around.

Should be able to convince sherpa sister & fam to visit.

SilvrSurfr
05-20-2014, 22:05
After all the stories over the past few years, I think it'd be hilarious if you actually brought the wife.

For about 5 minutes. :lol:

Well, I do have nice kids! They get it from Dad.:lol:

I go to the woods to get away from the wife and relax.

But for you guys thinking of trying to talk your wives into coming, tell them there's this guy named pilsburythrowboy12 coming. He likes to do all the work: gathering and chopping wood, keeping the fire stoked, boiling water, cooking, as well as washing and rinsing dishes. He works five or six hours straight with no pay.

And anything he's not doing then njredneck is probably doing.

That'll get the wives on board!:lol: Sit back and relax, ladies.

aircoder
05-21-2014, 20:14
Well, I do have nice kids! They get it from Dad.:lol:

I go to the woods to get away from the wife and relax.

But for you guys thinking of trying to talk your wives into coming, tell them there's this guy named pilsburythrowboy12 coming. He likes to do all the work: gathering and chopping wood, keeping the fire stoked, boiling water, cooking, as well as washing and rinsing dishes. He works five or six hours straight with no pay.

And anything he's not doing then njredneck is probably doing.

That'll get the wives on board!:lol: Sit back and relax, ladies.

If that doesn't do it they can throw in that he dose a fantastic manny / pedi and even boils extra water for the foot spa, I think that might seal the deal. Sorry PBTB didn't mean to throw you under the bus but I could not resist... :lol:

Zilla
05-21-2014, 20:48
Not sure what i missed but me and the wife are planning on making this one, will be sleeping in hammocks but she has a small tee pee she wants to set up for changing, is that a problem, ? do i need to reserve a site ?

pinballwizard
05-21-2014, 22:28
Not saying for absolute sure, but it looks like we are probably out of this one. It is booked right in the middle of a lot of other things we have. There may be a loop hole where we could join for a bit, but gotta see about it. Did I hear some may be there Friday night as well? That is valuable information

njredneck
05-22-2014, 05:22
Not sure what i missed but me and the wife are planning on making this one, will be sleeping in hammocks but she has a small tee pee she wants to set up for changing, is that a problem, ? do i need to reserve a site ?

You don't need to reserve a site unless you plan on staying more than Saturday. There is plenty of room to set up her tee pee. My wife does not camp much so she will have a large tent to sleep in with extra room for anyone who needs a place to crash or change in.

njredneck
05-22-2014, 05:26
Not saying for absolute sure, but it looks like we are probably out of this one. It is booked right in the middle of a lot of other things we have. There may be a loop hole where we could join for a bit, but gotta see about it. Did I hear some may be there Friday night as well? That is valuable information

We'll see as the hang gets closer, but right now I'm only an overnight Sat.

Chris183
05-22-2014, 18:46
stoked about this one fellas! will let you know for sure how many will accompany us. diana and i are for sure going to make this one.

treywilly
05-22-2014, 23:23
Sounds like you guys and gal had a blast, i heard about it late................one day i'll make it!!!

SilvrSurfr
05-22-2014, 23:36
Sounds like you guys and gal had a blast, i heard about it late................one day i'll make it!!!

You're getting to be like Deadphans, treywilly. We're beginning to wonder if you're a bot 'cause nobody has ever actually seen you in person at a group hang!:lol:

treywilly
05-22-2014, 23:41
I meant to post this on the Round Valley hang..... Sorry!!

silentorpheus
05-22-2014, 23:42
You're getting to be like Deadphans, treywilly. We're beginning to wonder if you're a bot 'cause nobody has ever actually seen you in person at a group hang!:lol:

He does realize that this is a planning thread for a future hang, not a trip report for a past hang, right? :cool:

treywilly
05-22-2014, 23:45
I'll come out to a Hammock Hang, definitely not a Bot. I actually be hiking 20 miles in the Pine Barrens on May 31. http://www.meetup.com/East-Coast-Hammock-Campers/events/180206932/
I started East Coast Hammock Campers on MeetUp.com. I have been trying to get that off the ground.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 00:13
I'll come out to a Hammock Hang, definitely not a Bot. I actually be hiking 20 miles in the Pine Barrens on May 31. http://www.meetup.com/East-Coast-Hammock-Campers/events/180206932/
I started East Coast Hammock Campers on MeetUp.com. I have been trying to get that off the ground.

Seems like meetup.com is not working very well based on your previous attempts. You might get better participation on HF rather than meetup.com.

njredneck
05-23-2014, 05:59
I just made a simple sign up sheet to make it easier to track who is coming. Batona Camp, Fathers day Sign-up (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvnI8fh5FxXxdHBMeEZjRXJGSWVjZTBHaVFuNVl3N UE&usp=sharing)

silentorpheus
05-23-2014, 08:28
I just made a simple sign up sheet to make it easier to track who is coming. Batona Camp, Fathers day Sign-up (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvnI8fh5FxXxdHBMeEZjRXJGSWVjZTBHaVFuNVl3N UE&usp=sharing)

You've got it set to view only - no editing possible.

njredneck
05-23-2014, 16:01
You've got it set to view only - no editing possible.

Fixed. I think

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 16:14
Updated spreadsheet.
Inviting more family to hang for chow, visit and what not.

njredneck
05-23-2014, 16:21
Updated spreadsheet.
Inviting more family to hang for chow, visit and what not.

I'm sure we'll have enough food for a small army.:D

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 16:44
I am inviting my both my other sister's families.
Some might camp, others just visit.
We'll see. Getting details a couple weeks in advance is like pulling teeth with this crew.
But for sure I have the boys that weekend.

The more I check google, the more I want to paddle Skit Branch.

And we still need to get y'all to Apple Pie Hill.

silentorpheus
05-23-2014, 16:59
I'm looking into the possibility of getting out there for Friday night as well. Not sure yet - have to check on a few things. Either way, I'll be there Saturday.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 17:27
The more I check google, the more I want to paddle Skit Branch.

It's been done before. I'm game!

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/paddling-the-skit.8614/

Water levels are pretty low right now, so it could be a serious slog. I'd probably be inclined to paddle upstream rather than downstream (since Batona Camp is our destination). And at the end of our journey there would be crowds of cheering fans impressed with our amazing feat!

I doubt the current would be very heavy.

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 18:12
Hmmmm maybe I should borrow a bunch of kayaks from my other brother-in-law.
Looks like fun.

And by fun I mean mosquito infested nightmare. :D

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 19:09
Hmmmm maybe I should borrow a bunch of kayaks from my other brother-in-law.
Looks like fun.

Kayaks would probably be easier. What makes it fun is that not many people have done it and even fewer have done it in the middle of June. We'd have Skit Branch to ourselves!

Where were you thinking of putting in or taking out? Can we get to it from Hampton Furnace?

The Tree Frog
05-23-2014, 19:47
Looks like fun.

Funny...but true!

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 19:51
Not from Hampton Furnace but from high Crossing. Problem is, last time I was out there 2 months ago, it was so wet only bog truck w/ full flotation Mickey Thompsons would get through. I will scout out some place coming in from the other side. There are plenty of access points via hunting roads.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 21:41
Any idea on how we'd like to go about menu planning for this one so we're not chucking dutch ovens full of food out? Yes I know I'm one to talk being that I'm singly handedly responsible for feeding the fish population of Round Valley for a week with my bread jello monstrosity.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 21:42
Wet is not one of our problems right now. We could use some rain. The levels are still above average right now but dropping fast.

Ratdog, give me a holler if you wanna reconn tomorrow or Sunday. I can bring my boat. We should really bring pillsburythrowboy12 - such a high energy guy. He'd probably portage all our boats while we were thinking about which way to go.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 21:57
I'm totally down for some recon with you guys! My boys got some work thrown their way so they've backed out on the B.T. Byrne camp we were supposed to do this weekend. Did you guys have room for a 3rd?

Wet is not one of our problems right now. We could use some rain. The levels are still above average right now but dropping fast.

Ratdog, give me a holler if you wanna reconn tomorrow or Sunday. I can bring my boat. We should really bring pillsburythrowboy12 - such a high energy guy. He'd probably portage all our boats while we were thinking about which way to go.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 22:07
Cool. Ratdog, if you can grab three kayaks that would be great. Otherwise I can bring my canoe. Did you reserve a site at Brendan Byrne? 'Cause Batona is all booked up, apparently. Well, maybe not. I think the online system can't be used at this late date. We would have to call in the morning and see if walk-in is possible.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 22:16
Oh you guys are gonna camp out in addition to this recon!?

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 22:18
Not from Hampton Furnace but from high Crossing. Problem is, last time I was out there 2 months ago, it was so wet only bog truck w/ full flotation Mickey Thompsons would get through. I will scout out some place coming in from the other side. There are plenty of access points via hunting roads.

Why can't you use Hampton Furnace? Bit of a portage but it seems doable.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 22:24
Oh you guys are gonna camp out in addition to this recon!?

I don't see why not. That was my intention.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 22:28
I don't see why not. That was my intention.

Ok I'm gonna have to call you tomorrow morning.

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 22:28
Sorry, been chillinover at my sister's and watching the horse Whisperer for the first time.

Yes we can camp, there will be room at B.Burn (old Lebanon State Forest) if we want to camp.
Or just do a day thing, either works for me.

I've got access to 1 kayak, 1 16' canoe and 1 12' canoe right now. Have to check on the others in the AM.
Shouldn't be a problem.

Wish I had a sit on top for as much getting in and out as this trip will likely have.

Yeah we've got room for however many, no worries.

Putting in at Hampton Furnace won't get you up Skit, you have to put in near Hampton Furnace.
It's the near part that is a little tricky.
Let me double check the map.

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 22:29
Food planning-wise.
Well, i say bring / cook as much as you want, it's car camping and I'll be happy to take leftovers home. :D

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 22:38
I 'm gonna PM you guys about this weekend, but yeah Skit does run into Batsto near the end of Riders Switch Rd.
I just didn't remember it when we paddled the Upper section, but it is not upstream from hampton Furnace, it's downstream on the Batsto from Hampton, the upstream along Skit.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 22:41
Putting in at Hampton Furnace won't get you up Skit, you have to put in near Hampton Furnace.
It's the near part that is a little tricky. Let me double check the map.

This makes no darned sense. I'm game for a trip up the skit tomorrow, just tell me the logistics, Master Logistician! I just need to know where to put car 1 and car 2.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 22:58
upstream, downstream.. who gives a S&%@!? Lets go!

Ratdog
05-23-2014, 23:21
Game on... see ya tomorrow.

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 23:22
Talked to Ratdog - we got a plan. We're gonna reconn paddle from Hampton Furnace to Carranza Rd. on Skit Branch, or vice versa. The preferred route is upstream since, if we made great progress, we could canoe from Hampton Furnace to Batona Camp and have an idea of the navigability of this waterway for future endeavors.

The lazy man's route is downstream - and I'm a lazy man. We'll decide in the morning.

Don't know where we are going to camp yet - we'll probably just grab a site somewhere. The focus is on conquering the Skit Branch!

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 23:24
upstream, downstream.. who gives a S&%@!? Lets go!

Did you tell me you have no cell phone? I don't remember. How are we communicating tomorrow?

pilsburythrowboy12
05-23-2014, 23:35
Yeah I'm still without a cell phone so you're just gonna have to give me a plan and stick to it. I'll call you from the house sometime in the morning around 10am. PBTB out!

Did you tell me you have no cell phone? I don't remember. How are we communicating tomorrow?

SilvrSurfr
05-23-2014, 23:41
Yeah I'm still without a cell phone so you're just gonna have to give me a plan and stick to it. I'll call you from the house sometime in the morning around 10am. PBTB out!

PM me your address or a place you wanna meet. We can go down together (in separate cars).

The Tree Frog
05-24-2014, 07:12
As of today, I am in for Father's Day. I may bring my 15 year old son. This is my first group hang with you so let me know what is expected or needed. Thanks:laugh:

natureboy68
05-24-2014, 08:42
Hmmm...batona is a drive in, non 4x4 camp? Still gimpy from surgery, I'll have to play it by ear...anyone going out Friday night?

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 09:13
I am going to add Friday night to my site so folks have the option. Will only cost me $3 at the ranger station today.

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 09:14
Hmmm...batona is a drive in, non 4x4 camp? Still gimpy from surgery, I'll have to play it by ear...anyone going out Friday night?

Correct, no 4x4 needed.

pinballwizard
05-24-2014, 10:17
anyone have a link to the campgrounds? Want to make sure I know where this is (for very obvious reasons:confused:) We may be able to make this after all, but not sure. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, (or down).

If we do come, I'm making pizza for this one.

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 11:00
http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/wharton-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056

Click on map, look for Batona Camp

Google Caranza Memorial Tabernacle NJ, it is directly across from the memorial

njredneck
05-24-2014, 11:02
anyone have a link to the campgrounds? Want to make sure I know where this is (for very obvious reasons:confused:) We may be able to make this after all, but not sure. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, (or down).

If we do come, I'm making pizza for this one.

The camp is across the street from the Carranza Memorial.

njredneck
05-24-2014, 12:24
Just looking at the spreadsheet we are going to need at least 1 more site. If someone can grab 7. We are sitting at 16-20 people camping.:)

And we still have 3 weeks to go. This is looking to be a great trip.

silentorpheus
05-24-2014, 13:18
Just looking at the spreadsheet we are going to need at least 1 more site. If someone can grab 7. We are sitting at 16-20 people camping.:)

And we still have 3 weeks to go. This is looking to be a great trip.

I'll grab a site later today. Want me to get 7 so we have the back edge of the camp, along the swamp line, or 8, so we have that back corner?

natureboy68
05-24-2014, 13:26
My buddy and I are in for Friday to maybe Sunday, I can reserve a site for Friday night, should I reserve #8 for fri and sat night??

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 13:30
Silent, I'm thinking 7 so we have the back. Helps some with parking too.
Natureboy could grab 8.

I'm probably going to grab another site since family is making rumblings about showing up.
I will add Friday to my site, worth the $3 just in case.

silentorpheus
05-24-2014, 13:33
Silent, I'm thinking 7 so we have the back. Helps some with parking too.
Natureboy could grab 8.

I'm probably going to grab another site since family is making rumblings about showing up.
I will add Friday to my site, worth the $3 just in case.

Okay. Natureboy - you're out of state, so if you reserve a site it'll cost more.

I'll grab 7 for Saturday night, and maybe for Friday. If you were going to grab another site Ratdog, maybe you should do 8. So then we'd really have the full back end of the camp?

Whatever works. I'll grab 7 later at least.

natureboy68
05-24-2014, 13:51
site #8 reserved! for friday-sunday (2 nights) non-resident fee was an extra $2/night, no biggie....now the bigger question, where can I get a jersey mikes on the way down? I usually go verrazano to outerbridge to gardenstate pkwy or NJ Tpke...barring traffic, I should get there around 7pm friday...

Lauremideus
05-24-2014, 16:05
Hi, I'm new. Is this open to anyone?

If it is, I'm interested in join in. This would be my first time hammock camping.

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 16:12

If it is, I'm interested in join in. This would be my first time hammock camping.

Sure. I'm assuming you are not having to fly in from Ahmedabad. :laugh:
Good food, a chance to check out gear, maybe a few excursions into the woods.

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 19:28

Let us know how you're set for gear; maybe we can loan you some if you need it. We had a newbie nearly freeze to death on an 18 degree November hang (he brought only an underquilt; no topquilt) so we wouldn't want that on our conscience!

P-47ChowHound
05-24-2014, 19:52
Wife cheerfully blessed me to come, "if you want to go sleep in the woods for 2 days for fathers day, GO ,it lets me off the hook. Have fun, see ya sunday nite"
Yee Haa!! I am in for Friday nite thru Sunday. Ratdog, Applepie Hill sounds good. SilvrSurfr, any hike or paddle I'm in. Or I may just eat an lay in the hammock for 2 days. :sleep::sleep:

perrito
05-24-2014, 19:56
This is shaping up to be a great gathering. How many hangers can be realistically accommodated?

silentorpheus
05-24-2014, 20:32
This is shaping up to be a great gathering. How many hangers can be realistically accommodated?

A bunch? ;)

With the number of sites we have so far (7, 8, 9, Group site A), probably 15-20 hammocks, plus or minus a few?

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 20:38

All sites are available with the exception of 8, 9 and the group site. I believe SilentOrpheus is gonna grab site 7. The group site is good for plenty of tents and 3 or 4 hammocks. So if 7, 8 and 9 can truly support 6 each, we're doing okay right now but we can always grab another site.

silentorpheus
05-24-2014, 20:39
All sites are available with the exception of 8, 9 and the group site. I believe SilentOrpheus is gonna grab site 7. The group site is good for plenty of tents and 3 or 4 hammocks. So if 7, 8 and 9 can truly support 6 each, we're doing okay right now but we can always grab another site.

Booking 7 now

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 21:21
My brother-in-law just booked another site for Fri/Sat.

silentorpheus
05-24-2014, 21:24

Nice.

I added another column to the spreadsheet - how many hammocks.

For the people that have family/friends coming, please put how many people are gonna need trees. I'm sure we'll be fine on tent space, but let's try to get a decent picture of who's hanging and who's on the ground. That way we know if we have enough sites.

Zilla
05-24-2014, 22:25
Me and the misses are on the sheet and we are gonna need trees !, until then i will be busy praying my new bb gets here in time..:boggle::thumbup::cool::thumbup::boggle::thu mbup::cool::thumbup::boggle:

mychal
05-24-2014, 22:43
Holy jeepers I really wish I could go to this. I couldn't go to Round Valley cuz of scout camporee. Can't go to this cuz of another scout camping trip. We never have more than one Dutch oven on scout trips. *grumble*

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 22:57

Well, now we have 1, 7, 8, 9 and Group. Should we grab 4 & 5? Those two have lots of trees to my recollection.

Chris183
05-24-2014, 23:12

You couldn't find better people to do your first hang with. Come on out!

Chris183
05-24-2014, 23:16

are you coming through?

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 23:36
Well, now we have 1, 7, 8, 9 and Group. Should we grab 4 & 5? Those two have lots of trees to my recollection.

I grabbed site 5 so now it's 1, 5, 7, 8, 9 and Group A.

Chris183
05-24-2014, 23:37
I grabbed site 5 so now it's 1, 5, 7, 8, 9 and Group A.

where are you reserving these sites ?

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 23:38
should we reserve 5 and 6 since they're in the vicinity of the already booked sites?

Site six blows chunks for hammocks, as I recall. Site 4 is better.

SilvrSurfr
05-24-2014, 23:39
where are you reserving these sites ?

ReserveAmerica.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/wharton-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056

Looks like somebody just grabbed site 4 (probably Chris183). So now we have 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and Group A. That's half of the whole Batona campsite! I think we're okay on trees!

May as well book the other six sites and have the place to ourselves!

Chris183
05-24-2014, 23:46
thank you surfer

Ok. Reserved site 4 since I may have some tent campers with me.

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 23:51
We had site 6 a while back. Some idiots broke a bunch of glass around there.
I had two 7 yr olds and a 12 yr old with me and I was forever picking up glass.

We had 5 hammocks in the site, the pit toilet is right there, but the site gets a lot of sun all day.

It's usable but I won't reserve it again, too many other options.

Ratdog
05-24-2014, 23:54
ReserveAmerica.

I wish we could, I'd feel better about cutting the kids loose riding bikes and playing all day.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 00:24
ReserveAmerica.

Looks like somebody just grabbed site 4 (probably Chris183). So now we have 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and Group A. That's half of the whole Batona campsite! I think we're okay on trees!

Jeez. We're going to have an awful lot of real estate for 15 hammocks. Heh.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 00:32
Who grabbed site 1 - Is that us too?

Or is that ratdog's BIL ...

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 00:36
Who grabbed site 1 - Is that us too?

Or is that ratdog's BIL ...

Yep, I think that is ratdog's BIL. I've been kinda monitoring the ReserveAmerica reservation site. It flashes when someone makes a new reservation. So when Ratdog said his IBL had reserved a site, all of a sudden it started flashing on the map. Same with Chris183.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 00:42
Yep, I think that is ratdog's BIL. I've been kinda monitoring the ReserveAmerica reservation site. It flashes when someone makes a new reservation. So when Ratdog said his IBL had reserved a site, all of a sudden it started flashing on the map. Same with Chris183.

Ah. Makes sense.

njredneck
05-25-2014, 05:54
Holy jeepers I really wish I could go to this. I couldn't go to Round Valley cuz of scout camporee. Can't go to this cuz of another scout camping trip. We never have more than one Dutch oven on scout trips. *grumble*

Ditch the troop come hang with us.There will be 2-3 dutch ovens going.:laugh:

Just kidding enjoy your trip.

njredneck
05-25-2014, 06:01

Sounds like a challenge.

If the numbers keep growing we may have to get sponsors and do raffles at these hangs.:scared:

njredneck
05-25-2014, 06:03
I go to sleep and you guys reserve half the batona camp.:cool:

The Tree Frog
05-25-2014, 06:34
I go to sleep and you guys reserve half the batona camp.:cool:

It started with an idea. You convinced the wife. It turned into an all out regional hang. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Chris183
05-25-2014, 06:54
I'm so terrible with names, and I won't blame anyone for not remembering mine. Hence, I will be wearing a name tag.

The Tree Frog
05-25-2014, 06:57
I'm so terrible with names, and I won't blame anyone for not remembering mine. Hence, I will be wearing a name tag.

Not a bad idea. I'm bad with names too.

njredneck
05-25-2014, 07:06
How do you guys want to handle food this trip? Group meal(pot luck) or fend for yourself. I'm good either way. I was thinking of doing Cornish hens in the Dutch oven(could probably fit 6 in the big oven and 3 in the small one)for dinner. Biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast.

natureboy68
05-25-2014, 08:30
I'm down with potluck, my buddy and I are avid home brewers, what's the consensus on adult beverages?

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 08:49
I'm down with potluck, my buddy and I are avid home brewers, what's the consensus on adult beverages?

Officially alcohol is prohibited in all NJ State Campgrounds. We don't ever go contrary to that rule. :rolleyes: If you were to bring something like that, I'm sure that fine upstanding citizens such as us would never dream of encouraging such things. :lol:

I'll shoot you a PM.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 08:59
I'm going to have the prototype Zipper-less Top Cover from Randy at Dream Hammocks along on this hang - there will be a group of us, and we can officially beta test it for him at this outing.

Anyone else that has a Dream Hammock, bring it, and we'll try it out on multiple rigs. I have plans to set up my hammock and give it a good testing today, and I'll do my first evaluation of the ZTC today. :)

perrito
05-25-2014, 09:32
Ok, count me in. Maybe +1.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 09:33
Ok, count me in. Maybe +1.

Awesome! It'll be good to finally meet you.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 09:35
Oh, and anyone who's either coming or thinking of coming - if you need to borrow any gear, or just want to try something out, feel free to post.

I've got a WBBB I could loan out if anyone needs a rig or wants to try one. A bunch of us have extra hammocks, tarps, quilts, etc. - so don't be shy. If you need something, say something.

aircoder
05-25-2014, 09:47
Is this still going to be family (kid friendly)... Don't want to come and bring the kids if it's going to mess you all up...

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 09:49
Is this still going to be family (kid friendly)... Don't want to come and bring the kids if it's going to mess you all up...

Bring the family.

We'll just tell SilvrSurfr to choose his campfire stories with that in mind. ;)

aircoder
05-25-2014, 09:54

Oh sweet fellow home brewers, I just finished a all grain cream ale that i bottled, I can bring along, have a few corny kegs with other beers but bottles will probably be easier. Let me know what your thinking of bringing.

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 09:59
Oh sweet fellow home brewers, I just finished a all grain cream ale that i bottled, I can bring along, have a few corny kegs with other beers but bottles will probably be easier. Let me know what your thinking of bringing.

Since adult beverages are not permitted in NJ State camps, we should refrain from discussing such things directly and openly in a forum that is searchable on the intarwebs. ;):cool:;)

aircoder
05-25-2014, 10:02
Since adult beverages are not permitted in NJ State camps, we should refrain from discussing such things directly and openly in a forum that is searchable on the intarwebs. ;):cool:;)

Oh crap did not know they where not allowed never mind.... that sucks...

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 10:26
Bring the family.

We'll just tell SilvrSurfr to choose his campfire stories with that in mind. ;)

I can do that, but hopefully they go to bed at some point!

Zilla
05-25-2014, 10:29

:boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::b oggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::bog gle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle::boggl e::boggle::boggle:

Ratdog
05-25-2014, 10:30
Bedtime will be defined by the words; "back on the farm in Alabama..." then it's "kid's time for bed, go get in your hammocks, here are your iPods"

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 10:31
Bedtime will be defined by the words; "back on the farm in Alabama..." then it's "kid's time for bed, go get in your hammocks, here are your iPods"

I think it was "Did I ever tell you about Dos Tacos?" … "Joe, time for bed …"

:lol:

njredneck
05-25-2014, 10:39
I think we may have to have 2 fires at this one. The kids fire and the adult fire just like thanksgiving dinner at home.:D

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 10:39

You guys make me sound like that girl Michelle in the movie American Pie:

"This one time, at band camp . . . ."

Oh crap. What's she gonna say now?

Zilla
05-25-2014, 10:40
We can allways go with the Jersey devil in the woods story, .In the boy scouts that story had me under the covers fast the first time i heard it,, but then again i also fell for snipe hunting the first time too..:boggle::laugh::boggle:

Ratdog
05-25-2014, 10:44
You guys make me sound like that girl Michelle in the movie American Pie:

"This one time, at band camp . . . ."

Oh crap. What's she gonna say now?

The stories are one of the best parts of hanging out with this group.
We all tell them but, yeah, yours are the stories people remember and talk about.
That and the meals and the actual adventures of the group.
Good times.

Btw 6/14 & 6/15 are free fishing days in NJ. Maybe we can chase down some pickerel on Skit branch in the old bogs.

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 10:46
I think we may have to have 2 fires at this one. The kids fire and the adult fire just like thanksgiving dinner at home.:D

Well, since we have seven campsites, we could have seven campfires. If he comes, I'm pretty sure pilsburythrowboy12 can process enough wood and keep all seven campfires going simultaneously, all while cooking and doing the dishes at the same time.:lol:

Who's bringing the pallets?

Zilla
05-25-2014, 10:50
The stories are one of the best parts of hanging out with this group.
We all tell them but, yeah, yours are the stories people remember and talk about.
That and the meals and the actual adventures of the group.
Good times.

Btw 6/14 & 6/15 are free fishing days in NJ. Maybe we can chase down some pickerel on Skit branch in the old bogs.

What does free fishing day meen?? you dont need a license?

njredneck
05-25-2014, 10:52
Well, since we have seven campsites, we could have seven campfires. If he comes, I'm pretty sure pilsburythrowboy12 can process enough wood and keep all seven campfires going simultaneously, all while cooking and doing the dishes at the same time.:lol:

Who's bringing the pallets?

How many do we need?:D

njredneck
05-25-2014, 10:52
What does free fishing day meen?? you dont need a license?

Short answer is yes no license.

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 10:53
How many do we need?:D

Can a piney have too many pallets? I don't think that's possible!

We should have at least one pallet for the ceremonial Burning of the Pallet ritual. That's where everyone gathers in a tight circle around the campfire and gradually moves backwards into a wide circle to avoid spontaneously combusting.

Then we need a second pallet for the latest episode of Between Two Pallets.

njredneck
05-25-2014, 10:56
Can a piney have too many pallets? I don't think that's possible!

Load the truck. Got it:D

The Tree Frog
05-25-2014, 11:06
In the words of the movie Animal House, "oh boy this is gonna be great!" :lol:

aircoder
05-25-2014, 15:23
they will both hopefully be out cold by 9pm.

I can do that, but hopefully they go to bed at some point!

silentorpheus
05-25-2014, 15:28
The wife ran out of town with the little guy to visit family. I had stuff to do around the house, so I stayed home. Managed to mow the lawn AND get a 4 mile hike in. Now after all this talk about Father's Day hanging, I'm itching to try out my new Thunderbird. Might need to camp in the backyard tonight … R & D, after all. :)

natureboy68
05-25-2014, 16:08
I know we all have a lot of gear that we either use or don't use, is there any interest in a gear swap/trade blanket? I would be happy to manage it...or maybe do a raffle and donate to pinelands alliance or some such? Again I would be happy to manage it...

aircoder
05-25-2014, 18:33
Does Site 10 have any trees for hanging?

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 18:41
At this point we need more sites like a hole in the head.

aircoder
05-25-2014, 18:43
Ok i think it's going to be me the kids the wife and my parents and 2 dogs so I figured i'd probably be better off grabbing a site.. but if you think we are ok then I won't if i should just let me know which site thats left is better to grab. wife kids and parents are in tents.. so it's just me hanging.

SilvrSurfr
05-25-2014, 18:51
Ok i think it's going to be me the kids the wife and my parents and 2 dogs so I figured i'd probably be better off grabbing a site.. but if you think we are ok then I won't if i should just let me know which site thats left is better to grab. wife kids and parents are in tents.. so it's just me hanging.

The dogs have to be registered at the office (Atsion or Batsto) along with written proof of rabies vaccinations, license, etc.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/pet_friendly_camping.html

There should be plenty of room for tents with the sites we have now.

aircoder
05-25-2014, 18:56
I knew about the dogs being registered thats not a problem but thanks.

The dogs have to be registered at the office (Atsion or Batsto) along with written proof of rabies vaccinations, license, etc.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/pet_friendly_camping.html

There should be plenty of room for tents with the sites we have now.

perrito
05-25-2014, 19:21
Awesome! It'll be good to finally meet you.

Don't believe everything Silvrsurfr says about me. I was nowhere near him during the Reese Witherspoon dream! I swear!

Lauremideus
05-26-2014, 06:47
Sure. I'm assuming you are not having to fly in from Ahmedabad. :laugh:
Good food, a chance to check out gear, maybe a few excursions into the woods.

Flew in! :) This sounds so good, I'd have done so just for this.

Let us know how you're set for gear;

No I'm not set. I'll have to buy gear in time. I was thinking of doing a brazilian + no see um + tarp. I want to avoid technical fabrics as far as possible.

maybe we can loan you some if you need it.

That'd be really great! And I'd also like some advice so I can get my own basic setup. Plus all else I need to pack for the trip. This is my first time camping.

You couldn't find better people to do your first hang with. Come on out!

Thank you so much! I'm definitely in, if I can be accommodated at this point. I think this will be really good for me!

Oh, and anyone who's either coming or thinking of coming - if you need to borrow any gear, or just want to try something out, feel free to post.

I've got a WBBB I could loan out if anyone needs a rig or wants to try one. A bunch of us have extra hammocks, tarps, quilts, etc. - so don't be shy. If you need something, say something.

I'm completely reliant on the advice all of you give me. Maybe I should try a rig you veterans recommend. I'm completely at sea.

Ratdog
05-26-2014, 09:07
Shelter - hammock - read some of your other posts seeking info on a brazilian, sounds like it is time to buy one. Certainly a loaner hammock is available for your use if you would like to keep researching brazilians. A $20 tarp from Walmart will work as will a $100 tarp from one of the vendors here. I would suggest a bugnet from a vendor here as well. The ENO bugnet available at a local sporting goods outfitter will work but I'm not a fan of the vertical zipper. A light blanket or 3 season sleeping bag will be plenty for temps this time of year. An underquilt can be loaned as this is a pricey off the shelf item though you will never regret the purchase of a 40 degree 3/4 length underquilt.

Food - there will be plenty, always is. Feel free to bring the makings of a dish, always appreciated but not necessary with this group. Water is available onsite from a pump. You'll want a water bottle or two, a cup, something to cook in, utensils and a knife.

Water - available onsite

First aid - always good to have a minimum kit with you but enough folks at this gathering will have one

Toiletries- pit toilets are available, plan accordingly

A folding chair makes time around the fire mire relaxing but there are always logs and a few extra floating chairs.

Bug spray - mosquitos can be rough if it has been wet and this is tick country.

A jacket in case temps dip into the 50's at night.

There will be many types of gear available to inspect, try, borrow.

Certainly there is plenty of room, do not hesitate to enjoy the weekend in the Pine Barrens.

The Tree Frog
05-26-2014, 10:15
Rat dog, thanks for the list. My first time with the group and had a lot of the same questions. Thanks!

Chris183
05-26-2014, 11:58
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvnI8fh5FxXxdHBMeEZjRXJGSWVjZTBHaVFuNVl3N UE&usp=sharing#gid=0

spreadsheet signup

Ratdog
05-26-2014, 14:06
If folks have interest, either Fri/Sat, we do have a little kayaking adventure planned. If additional kayaks are desired, give me a heads up. Later today I will be checking into borrowing several.

Also, for those that want to make the trek to Apple Pie Hill, approx 3 miles each way, I can offer a 4x4 shuttle one direction or both. No crazy 4 wheeling, just nothing you could get through with just a car. The shuttle could run past the Wandering Priest cemetery, some other "historic landmark" and the General Store in Chatsworth. I can also throw in a "ghost town" but they are little more than some rubble.

FYI Apple Pie Hill is an old Fire Tower about 80ft up, gives you sweeping views of the Pines and the lights of Atlantic City. The stairs held my weight a couple months ago so y'all are good to go.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/b48105234feed3fcffa1217fce27b61f.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/c4cb28c6b91467d0f64c1b67543fbaf4.jpg

Just some ideas.

All return times will have to be in plenty if time for dinner prep, not messing with mealtime, but then you could have probably guessed that. ��

For the Friday folks, we could probably swing a paddle down the Oswego or some other river. Will have to pay Mick's for the shuttle run as 2 of my sherpas are out of town that weekend. Or a 4x4 tour of places like "Hidden Lakes", Skyway of the Pines and the like.

Just putting some ideas out there. I'm good just napping or splicing or reading too.

natureboy68
05-26-2014, 17:39
since I'm still gimpy from surgery, any buggy rides would be greatly appreciated!! especially from a local!

Lauremideus
05-27-2014, 13:56
Hi guys. I'll need to borrow an underquilt and blanket/sleeping bag for this trip.

Thank you :)

SilvrSurfr
05-27-2014, 16:31
If folks have interest, either Fri/Sat, we do have a little kayaking adventure planned. If additional kayaks are desired, give me a heads up. Later today I will be checking into borrowing several.

Still don't know if I can make it on Friday, but I'm interested. I was thinking of just bringing my canoe (though a kayak would be better) and exploring the Skit Branch as much as possible. Maybe drop in at Carranza Road and see how hard it is to get to Batona Camp. If that doesn't totally exhaust us, then go back to Carranza Road and explore downstream as far as we could get and still get back to camp by 4 pm.

njredneck
05-27-2014, 16:43
I can bring 2 kayaks on Sat. Both are sit-ins

Lauremideus
05-27-2014, 17:26
I can make it on friday. I haven't kayaked either!

SilvrSurfr
05-27-2014, 17:45
Do u have a tarp lauremedius?

SilvrSurfr
05-27-2014, 21:21
This is a public service message:

For anyone unfamiliar with the Pine Barrens at this time of year, and is considering hiking or paddling: I urge you to spray every piece of clothing you hike/canoe in with permethrin. If you do not have permethrin, I can bring permethrin and spray your clothes down. You do not want to hike, or bushwhack/canoe the Skit Branch without appropriate tick repellent, and permethrin is the best.

Bring DEET too.

If you're just hanging around camp, then don't worry about the ticks. There's not much vegetation in Batona Camp.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-27-2014, 21:23
I've got a menu suggestion for one of either Friday or Saturday dinners: Low Country Boil!

Ratdog
05-27-2014, 21:35
I've got a menu suggestion for one of either Friday or Saturday dinners: Low Country Boil!

Approved !!

Now is that first dinner, second dinner or late night dinner?

Hanging with you guys is reminding me of my Miami days, eating dinner at 10pm and then hitting Calle Ocho at 3am for some fried goodness.

SilvrSurfr
05-27-2014, 21:45
They did that at a group hang in the Carolinas last year, as I recall.

aircoder
05-27-2014, 22:21
Does any one have a spare hg incubator i could try out for a night, I'm planning on purchasing one soon, but would love to give it a try before I purchase. If not it's no biggie i have my pad...

silentorpheus
05-27-2014, 22:28
Does any one have a spare hg incubator i could try out for a night, I'm planning on purchasing one soon, but would love to give it a try before I purchase. If not it's no biggie i have my pad...

I've got a custom length incubator 0 degree. I'll bring it along just in case.

aircoder
05-27-2014, 22:32
Sweet thank you!,
I have never used a UQ and I'm going to take the leap. I have my heart set on a incubator 20 degree figured it might be smart to give one a try before I donated a kidney to purchase one :lol:

I've got a custom length incubator 0 degree. I'll bring it along just in case.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-27-2014, 22:40
After SS let me spend the night bundled in the HG UQ & nestled into the HG TQ I had arguably my most peaceful and restful nights rest I've had outdoors in a long time. I'm sold on the quality of HammockGear all the way around after just that one experience. You guys are SO generous with sharing your gear, it's really helpful for the budget conscious guys like myself. That and as Chris had mentioned at some point, you don't really have an opportunity to pop into a store to get a feel for these cottage built type items. I think you'll come to a similar conclusion on how much you like the HG stuff for sure.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 11:14
None of those links go to a specific hammock, just to a home page. I imagine you're going to need a custom bugnet - you're not going to find a commercially available bugnet for a 14 ft. hammock.

I'm also not sure a 13 ft. tarp is going to work without a hammock ridgeline. The ridgeline is usually set to 83% of the hammock length, so that would be 11.62 ft. and a 13 ft. tarp would be fine. But without the ridgeline the hammock is likely to hang longer than that.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 12:20
I could use some opinions on this one guys. I'm contemplating doing a trade for this set up which the other guy values at $450:

-WBBB Double layer in Multicam, sold to me as a "custom" 11ft version. I do not know how to confirm this.- used in very good shape
-Leighlo 15 degree underquilt 3/4 length (60") - used in very good shape
-Superfly Tarp, Digicamo - Used once, side pull outs seam sealed

86683, 86684

What you guys think?

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 12:50
I could use some opinions on this one guys. I'm contemplating doing a trade for this set up which the other guy values at $450:

-WBBB Double layer in Multicam, sold to me as a "custom" 11ft version. I do not know how to confirm this.- used in very good shape
-Leighlo 15 degree underquilt 3/4 length (60") - used in very good shape
-Superfly Tarp, Digicamo - Used once, side pull outs seam sealed

86683, 86684

What you guys think?

That price is probably close to what it cost new. Maybe a little bit of a discount from full retail.

I saw the other thread where that custom WBBB was discussed - sounds legit.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 12:57
Yeah the guy is absolutely legit, I've done a deal or two with him in the past and it's only the valuation that I'm in the dark about. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lauremideus
05-28-2014, 13:44
None of those links go to a specific hammock, just to a home page.

I just edited the links and checked them. They work now.

Can anyone recommend one of these or an alternate one. And no, I'm not considering technical fabrics because I like cotton and I'll be using it at home everyday.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xlbrazilianfabrichammock.cfm

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xlnicaraguangrandcaribbeanstripedfringehammock.cfm

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xlbrazilianfabrichammockwithfringe.cfm

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/largeaquamarinastripebrazilianhammockwithfringe.cf m

Hey Craig, please do get the permethrin and DEET. Although I'll also try and get them. Thank you!

I imagine you're going to need a custom bug net.

Any idea where to get one in time? I messaged Kammok, but haven't heard back from them.

Should I get this one: http://www.dream-hammock.com/BugSock.html They offer a customization option.

I'm also not sure a 13 ft. tarp is going to work without a hammock ridgeline. The ridgeline is usually set to 83% of the hammock length, so that would be 11.62 ft. and a 13 ft. tarp would be fine. But without the ridgeline the hammock is likely to hang longer than that.

What size tarp should I be getting? I'm a noob so I don't know how to set things up.

Thanks and cheers!

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 14:22
Unfortunately, you want a custom tarp and bugnet, so I highly doubt you could get anything in time for 6/13.

Kammock will get back to you when pigs fly. Even if they did a custom bug net their customer service would appear to be atrocious based on the feedback I've read. Randy at Dream Hammock would probably do something custom but I'm not sure that style of bugnet would work with the hammocks you've listed. A Fronkey-style bugnet like the BIAS Buginator might work but I don't know if just adding length to the Buginator is the solution.

I know nothing about the hammocks you're interested in or how they hang. The literature says your anchor points need to be seventeen ft. apart. Using the hammock hang calculator with a 150" inch ridgeline and 17 ft. anchor points you'd have to
put your straps 6.4 ft. up the tree.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

The hammocks you're interested in don't even have a ridgeline so it's difficult to say how long the tarp needs to be. A Kelty's Noah 12 x 12 hung in an asym config would probably work, though.

http://www.kelty.com/p-721-noahs-tarp.aspx

There are plenty of off-the-shelf tarp and bugnet solutions for camping hammocks, but you're looking for a tarp and bugnet for a backyard recreational hammock, and there isn't really a market for that, to my knowledge. You're kind of reinventing the wheel, ignoring all the tried-and-true solutions by picking a hammock that nobody makes tarps and bugnets for. You might want to post your questions in the general hammock section and you might get better feedback.

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 16:29
Unfortunately, you want a custom tarp and bugnet, so I highly doubt you could get anything in time for 6/13.

Kammock will get back to you when pigs fly. Even if they did a custom bug net their customer service would appear to be atrocious based on the feedback I've read. Randy at Dream Hammock would probably do something custom but I'm not sure that style of bugnet would work with the hammocks you've listed. A Fronkey-style bugnet like the BIAS Buginator might work but I don't know if just adding length to the Buginator is the solution.

I know nothing about the hammocks you're interested in or how they hang. The literature says your anchor points need to be seventeen ft. apart. Using the hammock hang calculator with a 150" inch ridgeline and 17 ft. anchor points you'd have to
put your straps 6.4 ft. up the tree.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

The hammocks you're interested in don't even have a ridgeline so it's difficult to say how long the tarp needs to be. A Kelty's Noah 12 x 12 hung in an asym config would probably work, though.

http://www.kelty.com/p-721-noahs-tarp.aspx

There are plenty of off-the-shelf tarp and bugnet solutions for camping hammocks, but you're looking for a tarp and bugnet for a backyard recreational hammock, and there isn't really a market for that, to my knowledge. You're kind of reinventing the wheel, ignoring all the tried-and-true solutions by picking a hammock that nobody makes tarps and bugnets for. You might want to post your questions in the general hammock section and you might get better feedback.

I'm going to agree with SS here. The setup you're looking to create is outside the realm of what is readily available. Not impossible - but not something that you could get in any short order, from standard sources.

You're likely going to need to find custom sources for things like bug nets and tarps to fit a hammock that size. And you may need to spend a decent amount of time experimenting with the hammock itself, to see things like how far apart you need your anchor points to be, whether you can effectively use a ridge line, etc.

That's not to discourage you - by all means, put in the time and effort to figuring out what works best for you. But with this event planned for 2 weeks from now, I don't see that you're going to have enough time to get that all figured out AND get the accessories you need. Kind of hard to source custom sized bug net and tarp for a hammock you don't even have yet - and that's not even taking into consideration how long any custom work usually takes (it took 2 weeks to get a stuff sack and a rain skirt made from Z-packs, and those are items that are listed as 'in stock', for example).

If you're planning on joining us for Father's Day weekend (we're glad to have you :) ), you may want to consider trying out a more traditional setup - I'm sure between a few of us, we could outfit you appropriately with some loaner gear. It may not be the ideal setup that you'll eventually want for yourself, but it would allow you the opportunity to get out there, try out hanging, and while you're there you could check out a wide variety of gear that we all have, which might perhaps help to inform your course of action going forward.

Just my $.05 worth.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 16:36
I'm going to agree with SS here.

This could irreversibly damage your reputation!:lol:

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 16:43

Not really - I tend to agree with you a large portion of the time. Except when you start in on your "why don't we have LGBT sub forums" rants. :D

njredneck
05-28-2014, 16:44

As long as he keeps bringing work to these hangs of ours his reputation will stay exactly where it's at.:cool:

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 16:46
As long as he keeps bringing work to these hangs of ours his reputation will stay exactly where it's at.:cool:

Funny … that seems to be the prevailing opinion at most of the gatherings I attend, camping or otherwise. :cool:

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 16:49
Not really - I tend to agree with you a large portion of the time. Except when you start in on your "why don't we have LGBT sub forums" rants. :D

Repeat after me: I hate zippers. I hate zippers. I really, really hate zippers.

Ratdog
05-28-2014, 16:51

Uh huh!

Was thinking, a simple pair of sheers from walmart, sewn on 3 sides & weighted at tbe 4 corners underneath may be enough skeeter netting for Lauremideus. $20 gets you 4 84"x54" sheers that could be sewn, or even clipped together as a temp workaround. Just a thought.

Short of that, borrow a hammock for sleeping and use the brazilian for lounging during the day.

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 16:55
Repeat after me: I hate zippers. I hate zippers. I really, really hate zippers.

I said "a large portion of the time". You're on your own on that one, my good man.

I like my hammocks with zippers, and I'm not fixing to change that opinion any time soon. Though I support you in your unnatural aversion to them - regardless of the fact that it is based less on actual sound reasoning but rather on traumatic historical happenings. ;)

aircoder
05-28-2014, 17:56
Repeat after me: I love unhooking bra snaps. I love unhooking bra snaps. I really, really love unhooking bra snaps. see all fixed.

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 18:31
see all fixed.

That's a little creepy ... Even for SS. :)

njredneck
05-28-2014, 18:58
Added a new column to spreadsheet "food". What is everyone bringing for dinner Sat or breakfast Sun?

I'm still undecided about dinner could do Cornish hens or Ribs or Beef stew or Burgers and Dogs. Any requests?
For Breakfast I'm making some Sausage gravy.:drool:

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 19:11
Added a new column to spreadsheet "food". What is everyone bringing for dinner Sat or breakfast Sun?

I'm still undecided about dinner could do Cornish hens or Ribs or Beef stew or Burgers and Dogs. Any requests?

I'm not a big Cornish hen fan, so any of the other three sound good to me. We've never done just burgers and dogs - I kinda like that idea.

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 19:12
Any requests?

That was my request. :cool:

I'm all for ribs - but then again I know you all did them last trip. Ratdog - how about a repeat of the pork that only you and I ate at the NJ Winter Hang? That was mighty tasty!

Not sure what I want to do maybe some seafood again?

I wonder if we should put a cap on how many dishes we make. ;)

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 19:13
I'm not a big Cornish hen fan, so any of the other three sound good to me. We've never done just burgers and dogs - I kinda like that idea.

True … we could get creative with the toppings. BBQ grilled pork belly is mighty tasty on a burger ...

The Tree Frog
05-28-2014, 19:29
I am thinking Italian spiced dinner sausage grilled over the open flame. But, I may wait to see what everyone is bringing and add what is needed. I can pick a breakfast or dinner depending on which meal needs more food.

Does everyone provide their own plates, bowls, utensils or do we need paper or plastic? What about drinks...soda, iced tea, lemonade? Or do we fend for ourselves?

Zilla
05-28-2014, 19:30
Uh huh!

Was thinking, a simple pair of sheers from walmart, sewn on 3 sides & weighted at tbe 4 corners underneath may be enough skeeter netting for Lauremideus. $20 gets you 4 84"x54" sheers that could be sewn, or even clipped together as a temp workaround. Just a thought.

Short of that, borrow a hammock for sleeping and use the brazilian for lounging during the day.

OR,you cant get any cheaper then this,, not sure exactly what to do with the poles but they come with it , maybe use them to keep it spread open at the top, and by the way this price is for 2 of these, i just ordered a set to check them out if you want to wait to see what i think but they look like they will work for any hammock with alittle mod.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-new-us-military-surplus-mosquito-nets-with-poles-olive-drab.aspx?a=1317477

The Tree Frog
05-28-2014, 19:34
OR,you cant get any cheaper then this,, not sure exactly what to do with the poles but they come with it , maybe use them to keep it spread open at the top, and by the way this price is for 2 of these, i just ordered a set to check them out if you want to wait to see what i think but they look like they will work for any hammock with alittle mod.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-new-us-military-surplus-mosquito-nets-with-poles-olive-drab.aspx?a=1317477

Wow. That is a great price! Or they sell one for $13.50!

njredneck
05-28-2014, 19:35

True we could get creative with the toppings. BBQ grilled pork belly is mighty tasty on a burger ...

The more I think about it the more I like the simple meal. Everyone could pitch in and bring an item to make the meal.

silentorpheus
05-28-2014, 19:57
The more I think about it the more I like the simple meal. Everyone could pitch in and bring an item to make the meal.

Yeah, this is definitely a simpler approach. We could go with 'things you can grill', like burgers, dogs, sausage … stuff like that. Then if people want to get creative, we could do sides. Salads, beans, apps - that's where everyone could have their fun.

Nothing wrong with a good old cook-out. :)

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 19:59
I'd like to do a nice bisque but I don't know how well it would go over with you guys if it turned out to be a warm night.

Chris183
05-28-2014, 20:31
Hey guys. you crack me up, its a laugh every page i go through in this post. We'll be bringing beef bulgogi and portuguese egg tarts. Haven't decided what to do for 2nd, and 3rd dinner. Nor breakfast. Or early brunch. and late brunch.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 20:47
Guess who's the new owner of a fancy pants Warbonnet BlackBird & Leighlo 15 degree UQ? This guy! Woot Woot!

njredneck
05-28-2014, 20:52
Guess who's the new owner of a fancy pants Warbonnet BlackBird & Leighlo 15 degree UQ? This guy! Woot Woot!

No more ground pounding for you. Congrats.

Ratdog
05-28-2014, 20:54
That was my request. :cool:

I'm all for ribs - but then again I know you all did them last trip. Ratdog - how about a repeat of the pork that only you and I ate at the NJ Winter Hang? That was mighty tasty!

It was pretty tasty. I can do that.

Also, my 12 nephew is developing his cooking chops and is researching some recipes.

I'd also like to investigate a desert, as if we'll need one, but it would be cool to be able to cook up an apple or berry pie/cake/cobbler something.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 20:56
Okay folks, we have to start actually learning the lyrics to a few songs for our campfire crooning. Just watched the movie "About a Boy" and love the song "Something to Talk About" from the soundtrack. It's a creepy one. Perfect song to get the kids off to bed.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/badlydrawnboy/somethingtotalkabout.html

An excerpt of the lyrics:

I've been dreaming
Of the things I've learnt
About a boy who's bleeding
celebrate to elevate
The joy is not the same without the pain
Oooh

Now that's creepy. Here's the YouTube of it:

etyzsrLhChM

Good song for harmonies and ad lib.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 21:05
Another song for the campfire (another one with a boy theme):

Muddy Waters' Mannish Boy

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/muddywaters/mannishboy.html

w5IOou6qN1o

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 21:06
Oh shizznit here we go! We were warned this was coming at Round Valley LOL!

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 21:08
Thanks! I'm thrilled I pulled off the trade. Timing played a pretty big factor in accomplishing the deal. Can't wait to put it through its paces with you guys in a couple weeks!

No more ground pounding for you. Congrats.

Zilla
05-28-2014, 21:19
It was pretty tasty. I can do that.

Also, my 12 nephew is developing his cooking chops and is researching some recipes.

I'd also like to investigate a desert, as if we'll need one, but it would be cool to be able to cook up an apple or berry pie/cake/cobbler something.

I volunteer to be the cobbler taste tester

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 21:22

Did ya get the tarp too?

Zilla
05-28-2014, 21:23

w5IOou6qN1o

YES, now your talking, thumbs up to SS..:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:: thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumb up::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::t humbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbu p::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup ::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thu mbup::thumbup:

Chris183
05-28-2014, 21:25

congrats !

Chris183
05-28-2014, 21:27

w5IOou6qN1o

Im gonna get a harmonica and learn how to play this song :shades:

Zilla
05-28-2014, 21:30

Congrats on the Blackbird, hoping to get mine in time for the hang as well, really looking foward to meeting this group of jersy people, the only jersey members i have met so far are Ratdog and the Jersey bears oh and Crash.
I am sure me and the wife will bring something good to add to the food , and ''flavored water''..:thumbup:

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 21:32
Did ya get the tarp too?

Yeah I got the whole package just no convertible top to replace the bugnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris183 View Post
congrats !

Thanks Chris! After sneaking a peak at both yours and Pete's BB's, it went to the top of my wishlist. When the opportunity came about, I jumped on it.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 21:36
Well SS if you're gonna get dirty around the fire with the tunes you might as well do it right. Like THIS!

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

http://youtu.be/tWLw7nozO_U

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 21:38
Another campfire classic, The Divinyls' I Touch Myself. Learn the lyrics people.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/divinyls/itouchmyself.html

wv-34w8kGPM

I wanna see Ratdog and njredneck with a dueling "I touch myself" duet at the end of the song. This will all be videotaped. Don't be shy.

Zilla
05-28-2014, 21:42
Another campfire classic, The Divinyls' I Touch Myself. Learn the lyrics people.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/divinyls/itouchmyself.html

wv-34w8kGPM

I wanna see Ratdog and njredneck with a dueling "I touch myself" duet at the end of the song. This will all be videotaped. Don't be shy.

i think i can live without seeing that

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 21:47
SS.. Not even Doctor Huxtable knows what else to say other than "I.. I just can't.."

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 21:58
Hey, you sing a round of I Touch Myself around the campfire and you don't have to worry about any other piney campers bothering you that night. And they definitely wouldn't think of stealing your stuff!:lol:

When robocallers call me asking for anything, I typically recite the lyrics to this song. Seems to make them hang up fairly quickly.

"Can I count on you for a donation of $25?"

"I don't want anybody else - when I get excited. . . ."

Click. They hang up. I don't know why, but I stick with something when it works.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 22:14
Anybody ever had a stuffed hamburger? Take two thin slabs of burger, add stuffing, mash together, cook.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 22:21
Haven't had one myself but I've seen it featured on Travel Channel's "Man vs. Food" and I think it was called the "Slopper" or something.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 22:22
Not sure what I want to do … maybe some seafood again?

I wonder if we should put a cap on how many dishes we make. ;)

I'm all for seafood. That's my favorite food. Shrimp, scallops, lobster and clams, anyone? Maybe we could make a cioppino!

I do like the thought of capping number of dishes - always too much food to eat.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 22:24
I'm all for seafood. That's my favorite food. Shrimp, scallops, lobster and clams, anyone? Maybe we could make a cioppino!

The three of us should throw into the Low Country Boil!!

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 22:30
The way these things have gone in the past, I'd say we go this way:

4:30 to 6 pm - Seafood, appetizers, salads, etc.
6 pm. Burgers and Dogs
7 pm Other meals and soups

I don't plan on doing a lot of work or cooking, which is why I like the seafood and burgers/dogs thing - immediate gratification.

SilvrSurfr
05-28-2014, 22:33
The three of us should throw into the Low Country Boil!!

No offense, but that recipe has no appeal to me. I could find better ways to cook each individual ingredient than together.

Now if somebody wants to make a seafood gumbo, then I'm all in. I can get some okra and file gumbo.

pilsburythrowboy12
05-28-2014, 22:39
Agreed, I just suggested it since it has the whole communal, everybody digging in at the same pile kinda appeal.

No offense, but that recipe has no appeal to me. I could find better ways to cook each individual ingredient than together.

Now if somebody wants to make a seafood gumbo, then I'm all in. I can get some okra and file gumbo.

If we really wanted to organize this thing we'd be best off just appointing a chef and give him a couple lieutenants to do the prep, dish and such. Menu planning and portion control might actually be something needed considering the size of the camp we're growing into. The chef is gonna have to assume control of the menu and logistics otherwise too many hands in the pot is gonna make for more confusion and mess. Just my 2 cents.

aircoder
05-28-2014, 22:50
Congrats that wonderful pills

natureboy68
05-28-2014, 22:55
when it gets closer (and if I find my dutch oven!) I can get a better handle on what to cook/bring...working on inspiration!