PDA

View Full Version : North Country Trail thru Michigan

gargoyle
07-04-2009, 15:23
The NCT runs a 1/4 mile from my house, was wondering if anyone has hiked it? The trail near my house is flat, you could roll a marble down it forever. It is an old railroad bed that has been stripped of tracks and paved over. Fairly nice scenery, but boringly flat. I've seen pictures of farther up north and seems more hilly, actually trail-like. From what I can tell, most of southern Michigan is old railroad beds. Wondered if its worth exploring? Or drive North first. If anyone does happen to be hiking nearby stop in , I would love to hear about your adventure. beer optional

kwpapke
07-04-2009, 16:30
Your best source of info is the NCT_Friends forum:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCT_friends/

or Joan Young's blog:

http://northcountrytrailnews.blogspot.com/

Joan is an inexhaustible supply of info on the NCT and lives in lower Michigan.

--Kurt

Eron
07-04-2009, 16:41
I can't figure out exactly which trail you are talking about, but this link should help you out:

http://www.michigantrails.org/

(Download the trail map PDF in the left column of the front page)

also

http://www.traillink.com/TrailSearch.aspx?tn=&st=MI&ct=&sp=N

(that link will take you straight to a listing for Michigan)

Walking Bear
07-05-2009, 14:47
I have hiked the area along Lake Superior in the Pictured Rocks area. Very good trail along the lake. Flat except for a couple of areas by the sand dunes. The lighthouse was great.
Bring lots of Deet.:scared:

treehouseguy
07-22-2009, 03:17
I've hiked both north and south of the Marilla Trailhead (between Mesick and Kaleva, MI). It's kind of hilly... nothing crazy, but definately a lot of hills. Gorgeous area though!

canoebie
07-22-2009, 16:32
I recently hiked the area between 131 and Mesick along the Manistee river. Beautiful hike. Some ups and downs, enough to make me huff and puff a bit.

High bluffs overlooking the river were beautiful.

LakeTrek
02-02-2010, 19:56
Here's a blog from a woman walking the entire trail:

http://northcountrytrailnews.blogspot.com/

tpkanu
02-06-2010, 17:27
Niblewill Nomad hiked the whole North Country Trail from North Dakota to New York in 2009. He has a great website and has videos, photos, daily journals, gear list, etc. I don't know how to attach a URL, so you will have to Google it. His great videos inspired me to plan a backpack on the NCL at the Pictured Rocks Park for next year. Happy Trails.

Trout
02-06-2010, 17:42
gargoyle - you don't live that far north from a couple of us in Northern Indiana. It would be fun to hike that part of Michigan w/ you. Maybe a summer hang is in order?

gargoyle
02-06-2010, 19:49
Trout, any time you wanna come up, I would love it. Barefoot Child lives a few miles from me, as does Opie. We are trying to get something together soon tho???? If we all can get our schedules on the same page.

Hanson
02-06-2010, 20:31
...and I'm close as well. I've hiked the manistee river loop a few times with a tent, but this season will be my first time hanging it- can't wait!

Trout
02-06-2010, 20:46
How about a tentative plan for June or July? You guys set the date that works best for you and let me know. I'll try and remember to bring some Wakarusa Jellybeans for the campfire.

Trooper
02-06-2010, 21:33
If you wouldn't mind me coming along, the June/July timeframe would be great. I should be moved into Detroit by then.

There is also the other Michigan thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=186775&highlight=north+country#post186775) with a growing list of folks in the area.

LakeTrek
02-08-2010, 19:15
I have hiked the area along Lake Superior in the Pictured Rocks area. Very good trail along the lake. Flat except for a couple of areas by the sand dunes. The lighthouse was great.
Bring lots of Deet.:scared:

Mosquitoes or black flies?

Have you camped along there, too?

LakeTrek.Blogspot.com (http://LakeTrek.Blogspot.com)

opie
02-14-2010, 22:10
Trout, any time you wanna come up, I would love it. Barefoot Child lives a few miles from me, as does Opie. We are trying to get something together soon tho???? If we all can get our schedules on the same page.

I might be down once it warms a bit.

Stone
02-14-2010, 22:30
Have done the MRT/NCST Loop, part of it runs through the Jordan River Trail area near Alba, Pictured Rocks, and a real short section in the McCormick Tract near Champion.
I'm planning @ 100 mile trip from Munising to Tahquamenon Falls for later this summer/fall. Most likely will be a solo trip.

Mosquitoes or black flies? - LakeTrek

Mosquitoes AND black flies!

opie
02-14-2010, 22:34

I was thinking the same thing. Theres no respite between the two.

We got bugged out of our hammocks on Drummond Island. Ended up sleeping in the truck and while the doors were open, 30 or so of the little buggers made it in. My headliner looks like a paintball target.

Trout
02-15-2010, 07:21
I'm looking forward to putting a date for this on work calendar.

canoebie
02-15-2010, 11:16

I have been paddling the Manistee for 20 years now and I can tell you June will be killer bug season. Lots of em! Blackflies will taper off, peaking right after Memorial Day at least most years. However, it is also a very beautiful time of year to be there. Everything is peaking in growth, lots of flowers and the wild irises in the wetlands will be in bloom. I am planning a summer solstice canoe trip the weekend of the 21st of June. Might see you all if you are there then. Anxious to hear how this pans out.

TZBrown
02-15-2010, 13:07
Have done the MRT/NCST Loop, part of it runs through the Jordan River Trail area near Alba, Pictured Rocks, and a real short section in the McCormick Tract near Champion.
I'm planning @ 100 mile trip from Munising to Tahquamenon Falls for later this summer/fall. Most likely will be a solo trip.

Mosquitoes or black flies? - LakeTrek

If you have room for one more I might be interested also.

I have done the Maniste loop many times, as well as the JRV pathway.

There WILL BE bugs. :(

I might even be up for a trip in April or May, or maybe all 3 :):)

Hanson
04-25-2010, 18:36
OK, I can't wait any longer....I'm going this weekend. My brother and I will start at the Upper River Trailhead Friday late afternoon and walk clockwise. We expect to easily complete the loop by mid-morning Sunday. We'll probably try a little fishing also. If anyone wants to try it this weekend, let me know...

opie
04-26-2010, 19:50
The NCT runs a 1/4 mile from my house, was wondering if anyone has hiked it? The trail near my house is flat, you could roll a marble down it forever. It is an old railroad bed that has been stripped of tracks and paved over. Fairly nice scenery, but boringly flat. I've seen pictures of farther up north and seems more hilly, actually trail-like. From what I can tell, most of southern Michigan is old railroad beds. Wondered if its worth exploring? Or drive North first. If anyone does happen to be hiking nearby stop in , I would love to hear about your adventure. beer optional

Gargoyle.. We were weaving all around the NCT up in the UP....

IMO that would make a nice hike...