PDA

View Full Version : JMT through hike

bghiker
05-20-2014, 17:14
Hey All-

I am planning a southbound JMT through hike from Happy Isles in August. I have my permits, shuttle arrangements, and resupply all arranged. This will be by far my longest backpacking trip so far, both in distance and time on the trail. My previous longest trip was 7 days and about 70 miles in Yellowstone last year. I am new to hammocking but have definitely been bitten hard by the bug. I have never been able to sleep well on the ground but was always able to push through with minimal sleep on my usual 2-4 day trips. However, the week long trip in Yellowstone last year showed me that if I am going to do long trips, I have got to figure out a way to get some sleep. A friend at work told me about hammocks and I did a little research and ended up getting a HH explorer deluxe zip last fall. I have had it out on several overnighters this winter and I absolutely love it...I sleep like a baby. I also have the HH hex tarp and a HG 20 degree incubator. I started out with the HH super shelter and although it kept me warm, I found it kind of a pain to set up, so I went with the UQ. Have only used the UQ a couple times so far, (only received it a couple weeks ago) but so far I like much more that the HH SS. I have also converted the stock suspension to whoopie slings.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some pearls of wisdom from the gurus here at Hammock Forums on hiking this trail with a hammock. From what I have read from various sources, this is a hammock friendly trail for the most part. My plan is for about 10 miles a day and to try to sleep low then do the passes in the mornings. I have about 25-27 days to finish so I am planning to take the time to "smell the roses" along the way. I am a bit concerned about hanging for the last few days as I approach Guitar Lake and Mt Whitney. This looks to be the most difficult portion of the trail to find a spot to hang. I am taking what I need to go to ground if necessary, but I hope it won't be. If anyone has first hand knowledge about hanging in that area, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to hear any other advice regarding the hike. Any equipment that you wish you would have brought? Any side trips you wish you had taken? Any places you wish you had (or had not) camped? Anything you did bring but wish you hadn't? Information like that would be very helpful. I find it is good to learn from your own mistakes, but much better to learn from someone else's:).

I would like to thank everyone here for making this an amazing resource to for me to learn about hammocking. I try to read new posts at least once a day and I learn something every time I come here. You have amassed so much knowledge through your experiences and always seem eager to share it.

Thanks and happy hanging...

Eric

nuttysquirrel
05-20-2014, 18:04
talk to fronkey here on hf. he has hammocked most of the jmt i belive. i will be thu'ing next summer, good luck!

dakine
05-20-2014, 18:25
I hiked 40 miles of the JMT years ago from Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth Lakes. Last summer I hiked Mt Whitney. There are plenty of trees below 11,000 feet all through the sierras, so plan your trip accordingly. If you ever get "stuck" above treeline late in the day, just head down to the nearest grove, they're never more than about 30 minutes away. Have a great trip.

merzperson
05-22-2014, 14:01
I hiked the entire JMT 5 years ago. It was such an amazing trail! I will probably do it again sometime. That was before I got into hammocks, but from memory (and pictures) there are plenty of trees down low to rely on hammocks. My last day was 26 miles including climbing Whitney and down to the trailhead. There definitely were fewer trees during that stretch, but there were several sporadic groves every couple of miles so I don't think you should worry. I personally wouldn't bother bringing ground sleeping gear, but then again I'm young and don't mind roughing it now and then. It probably won't be nearly as bad in August, but when I hiked (late June-early July) there were lots of mosquitoes on the northern half of the trail. I ate dinner in my tent several evenings. The headnet I brought came in handy. I didn't bother with a water filtration system. Just filled bottles straight out of the small creeks and fresh glacier melt up high. Never regretted it.

EDIT: I also encountered two bears on two separate nights during my trip. Bear canisters are required in the park and a good idea throughout. Night hiking the High Sierra under a full moon is absolutely amazing but try not to accidentally sneak up on a bear like I did!

ofuros
05-22-2014, 17:43
It's a trail I plan on doing too in the not so distant future along with parts
of the High Sierra Route thrown in.
Thinking about using the Lost Coast trail as a warm up beforehand.
Just have organise finances & resources to cover a 5wk usa trip .....good luck with your trip bghiker,
will looking forward to your trip report. :thumbup1: